• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #2 - Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34

Cinematic Contest #2 - Results
Contest Theme: Romance

The contestants goal was to create a love story cinematic.

Contest Prizes And Winnings:
First Place: 30 reputation points and a special award icon
Second Place: 15 reputation points
Third Place: 5 reputation points

Judging Criteria:
Entertainment
Creativity
Storyline

Agony - bounty hunter2

Entertainment - 9/20

Creativity - 12/20

Storyline - 8/20

The story of this cinematic revolves around the love of the parents towards their child. Their child was murder by the orc and the parents wanted to avenge their child death. unfortunately they failed to do so which resulted the wife been inprison and the husband dead.

The storyline revolve around the love of the parents to their child and they would do whatever they could for it, but this map theme seems to be focus more about vengeance rather than love, which I possibly cannot give a high marks over it.

Sorry about that, but it was a bit irrelevent from the contest theme.

As for creativity, I would give it a 12 point. Most of the love story rather focus at the love between a couple, it was really rare to seen a story where it involve children. Which I give a thumb up to you, but adding the plot of vengeance is not a good idea as it wound up becoming a theme of vengeance rather than love.

For entertainment, I have to said it give me a good entertainment as most of the terrain and scene was well made. But you are setting the fade filter with black mask in quick motion, rendering the audience having a tough time trying to figure it out what is the story was all about.

When I first watch this cinematic, I though the theme was focus more on revenge rather than love due to the quick motion and it took me several attempt to watch this cinematic to get to know what is all about.

Overall - 25/60
Rating - 2/5 Lacking

========================================

The Broken Promise - Nbah

Entertainment - 10/20

Creativity - 13/20

Storyline - 18/20

The story was about the love of a couple, which separate by the ridiculous hatred between the village where they were born. The storyline was quite intriguing, it add a few suspense and at the mean time showing the courage and determination of him to escape from the guard in order to meet the girl he loved for the promise they make. I would not provide further info about this as it would be a spoiler.

Creativity wasn't that bad either, at most love story; a couple is often separate by their parents. At this cinematic, it was separate by the vengeance between the village.

As for entertainment, it was average as the forest terrain are rather ackward. Most of the time I seen was just a pine tree and bush, try add flower and rock as well because it make it look dull and unnatural. However, the suspense in this cinematic is what keep me want to watch it again.

With voice acting available as well, it make the cinematic better and bad at the same time. The voice volume was quite low and contain a static sound, I suggest you to fix that.

Overall - 41/60
Rating - 3/5 Useful

Ice Heart - CoBrA b

Entertainment - 0/20

Creativity - 5/20

Storyline - 7/20

This cinematic failed to provide entertainment to me, it was poorly develop in almost every aspect. Bad terrain, poor camera, long game text, poor animation, lack of proper fade filter function and other. It make this cinematic completely dull and boring.

Creativity are lacking as well, as it hardly have any close connection with the love theme and plenty of poor development over it. Infact, it was using the origin warcraft 3 campaign theme, so I do not think there should be a good merit for the creativity.

Storyline was origin from warcraft 3 campaign, with plenty of contradiction over it. If any of you ever play warcraft 3 campaign, you would notice a few contradiction about the storyline as well.

Although the quality is poor, the resources doesn't contain major bug which could crash warcraft 3 and follow the contest guideline. Thus, I would not disqualified this resources.

Overall - 12/60
Rating - 1/5 Unacceptable

Awkward Affection - Thrikodius

Entertainment - 20/20

Creativity - 20/20

Storyline - 10/20

This cinematic was truly excellent, it follow the theme of this contest and provide a good entertainment; it was pretty creative as well. Combination of humor and suspense have been use to give the audience a much enjoyable time to watch it and the voice was clear enough to be heard.

The most humorous part would be the ogre showing the emotion of falling in love.

Terrain was done in high detail to give it a very good propective look of a forest, but this lead to a downside of it where it was lagging due to the massive amount of destructible/doodad been used.

Although the storyline wasn't much to be talk about, but the creativity and entertainment it provided was certainly enjoyable for everybody. Which I believe it deserve a recommendation.

Overall - 50/60
Rating - 4/5 Recommend

Cecile - Avator

Entertainment - 20/20

Creativity - 15/20

Storyline - 9/20

The author certainly project the environment of the city very well even though it was lacking a few aspect; unlike most of the theme city cinematic I have seen, it have civilian and car move around the city instead of being a ghost town.

Good use of music along with voice act give this cinematic a fresh view, the entertainment was great especially when both of the guy fight.

The voice act have been develop to be as realistic as possible, it even been dubbed in a sound effect to make the character seems to be talking via walkie talkie.

But, there is 1 thing that boggle the mind of audience. Despite this map was focus at modern era, who the hell would use sword to assasinate a person ? Won't it be better just to use gun or sniper ?

The scenario seems to be created at the edge of the map, rendering several area look like the end part of the world.

1 thing that boggle the mind of the audience as well would be the way the assassin walk. I mean, how the hell they walk from 1 building to another without any accessory at all ? They seems to be walking to another building instead of jumping to it.

As for storyline, it seems to be slightly irrelevent to romance theme and I give it 3 marks. However, after I view the improve version of it; I get to know more and understanding about it. Thus, I decided to give it additional 6 marks.

Overall - 44/60
Rating - 3/5 Useful

Agony - bounty hunter2

Entertainment - 9/20
Creativity - 12/20
Storyline - 8/20
Votes: 9

Final Score: 26
The Broken Promise - Nbah

Entertainment - 10/20
Creativity - 13/20
Storyline - 18/20
Votes: 4

Final Score: 34
Ice Heart - CoBrA b

Entertainment - 0/20
Creativity - 5/20
Storyline - 7/20
Votes: 1

Final Score: 10
Awkward Affection - Thrikodius

Entertainment - 20/20
Creativity - 20/20
Storyline - 10/20
Votes:15

Final Score: 49
Cecile - Avator

Entertainment - 20/20
Creativity - 15/20
Storyline - 9/20
Votes:3

Final Score: 35

Some really awesome cinematics were created, so thank you to everyone who participated!
And a special congratulation to the winners!

And the winner is...

[tr][TD]
1st Place: Awkward Affection - By: Thrikodius
2nd Place: Cecile - By: Avator
3rd Place: The Broken Promise - By: Nbah
[/TD][/tr]

Level 12
Last place. I knew it!

Come the next cinematic contest, I'll be back, better than ever.

Congratulations to everyone else who ranked higher than me, especially Thrikodius!

Status
Not open for further replies.