• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png

results.png

Races

contest%20judging.png

Note on Creativity/Originality:
In my judging I have tried to be as objective as possible. No matter what your style of music is, I did not include that in my judging of creativity as to make it fair no matter what style you chose. In this way a Electronica piece has the same chances of winning as a Classical, Metal or even Ambient piece does.

Teuncreemers - Furbolg Theme
Theme:
The many instruments in this piece very nicely compliment the forest and nature aspects of the Furbolg race, it almost reminds you of running water with the wooden percussion (I'm assuming that’s a Marimba). The whole piece does work well to create a sense of Furbolgs and their deep ties to nature.
27/30
Creativity/Originality:
The sound reminds me a bit of the Avatar sound track, though it is unique in it's own regard. The "build-up" progression the piece works well for the theme, though it's not inheritely surprising.
14/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
This piece shines well here, the flowing percussion along with the constantly changing levels of the different instrument flow nicely but don't change so drastically that they don't make sense. The solo instrument is always kept in focus above the other instruments.
20/20
Composition:
The whole song makes sense, there is nothing wrong with the notes. Going with the "build-up" factor the way the piece progresses is predictable, but the doesn't detract too much from the Composition of the piece.
28/30

91/100

Waldbaer - Burning Legion
Theme:
The piece is both menacing and sorrowful, one moment it seems like an army is marching in your direction, another it seems as if the King has died and everyone’s in mourning. The dark parts are very powerful, and exactly what you'd expect to hear from the Burning Legion while the more sorrowful parts seem a bit odd. The overall contrast of the piece does create a certain interesting effect though. Going along with the explanation of the piece that you had given, the story this piece tells a powerful story that is spot on to the Burning Legions methods.
30/30
Creativity/Originality:
The piece sounds very similar to Wc3 music, it's obvious that that is the effect you were going for. The creative aspect of this piece is the story telling aspect - each part goes very well with your explanation.
17/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
Nothing really to complain about here
20/20
Composition:
This piece was composed well and follows builds up and lets out with the different movements.
30/30

97/100

JetFangInferno - Pyrrhic Victory
Theme:
The Human race here almost seems like an afterthought. Though the piece portrays the emotions well, this could go for anyone returning from war to find that from war they have won, with a cost. As far as the story the progression tells, this works very well.
18/30
Creativity/Originality:
The solo is very powerful, though as piano solos go it's not intensely original. What is unique about this piece is it's ability to portray both a somber and hopeful emotions at the same time.
15/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
This piece flows immensely well, if I could give it more then 20 I would but of course that would not be fair to the other contestants.
20/20
Composition:
This solo is well thought out and it's movements work perfectly.
30/30

83/100

Kelanor - Orc Theme
Theme:
Very warlike, this whole piece reminds one of an army of Orcs preparing for an attack.
30/30
Creativity/Originality:
I do like that drum part pattern. Instrument choice of sounds like echoes and wind do set this piece aside from others in instrument choice. I understand your instrument choice did limit your options in melody and such, but I believe you could've gotten a bit more creative with this.
14/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
The drum levels constantly pound the listener while the more ambient instruments constantly shift up and done, rising and swelling.
16/20
Composition:
This piece is very repetitive - that sound drum pattern is pounding the entire song. This would be forgivable if the main melody was constantly changing to keep the song interesting - sadly there is very little melody, just the drums and the flute like ambient over parts. The piece is kept very suspenseful, but it never really goes anywhere as build up just leads to more of the same. It almost seems as if you looped the same song twice just for length.
12/30

72/100

VoidLordXtrene - The Rise of the Lords
Theme:
This song is very powerful in sound, very warlike yet triumphant at the same time. Though I believe this could work as an orc theme, the instruments do make it more appropriate for a Human theme.
27/30
Creativity/Originality:
Not extremely original, but not exactly the same as similar pieces. The background story is very original though.
17/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
Flows well, nothing to complain about
20/20
Composition:
The piece does have distinct parts and it works very well.
30/30

94/100

Drenferalis - The Elemental Chaos War
Theme:
The song demonstrates and portrays the wide range of the different types of elementals.
30/30
Creativity/Originality:
The idea of splitting the piece into parts that represent each different type of elementals was unique
18/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
The different parts vary greatly in dynamics, though nothing seems inherently wrong about it.
18/20
Composition:
The was composed well. The only real complain is that you didn't have the parts transition seamlessly, one part seems to die out before the next can enter - there is a "cooldown" period between them.
25/30

91/100

EMPerror - Water Elements
Theme:
The piece was obviously elemental in theme, though pinpointing it exactly as water as hard as the sound doesn't strike me as "water" in sound - this isn't aided by the fact that you neglected to add an explanation which was required in the rules.
20/30
Creativity/Originality:
Nothing inheritely surprising about this piece.
12/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
The parts flow well and the levels work fine.
19/20
Composition:
There's nothing really to complain about here, all parts transition well and the piece is overall well written.
30/30

81/100

CoBrA b - Songs of the Earth Mother
Theme:
The powerful percussion does strike one as very Tauren-ish, along with the airy flute sounds. The sound of the piece does fit the Tauren well, taking care to distinguish it from the Horde as a whole.
29/30
Creativity/Originality:
The back story was creative, and the piece portrays the story well.
17/20
Dynamic/Tonation:
The entire piece works out fine here
20/20
Composition:
The effort put into composing this piece with every instrument given special attention to specefic part is impressive and the composition does fit the story well.
30/30

96/100

Theme [CoBrA b - Songs of the Earth Mother Final]
The theme was very nice, as you made it sound like an orc theme song.26/30

Creativity/Originality
It sounded alright overall, and on the other hand it was quite boring of the lack of sounds and beats.12/20

Dynamic/Tonation
Had a great beat too it, but it chould of been better.10/20

Composition
The changes through the song match perfectly, but as it stands as the same beat for minutes which make it quite boring.19/30

Theme [Drenferalis - The elemental chaos war]
Not quite sure if it matches your theme but it sounds pretty good, but it chould be better.19/30

Creativity/Originality
The sounds are based off some-sort of mystery i believe, but it does sound nice for your theme.15/20

Dynamic/Tonation
The flow seems alright, in parts it stops and continues.14/20

Composition
The changes make some sense but overall its confusing.19/30

Theme [EMPerror - water elements]
Sounds like we are in a disco of some-kind? No.9/30

Creativity/Originality
The overall song lacks alot, its staticy and its a bit loud even on low volume.9/20

Dynamic/Tonation
The flow is ok, but it doesn't match the theme.10/20

Composition
There is no changes, as it keeps on going. :/ 10/30

Theme [Fanny.Shaver - NightElf2]
Nice sounds and effects, also it matches the theme perfectly.27/30

Creativity/Originality
Very much creative, cool sounds, beats are added for more background noise. Nice.18/20

Dynamic/Tonation
The flow seems alright, as it all comes together great.17/20

Composition
The changes are also alright, as it all flows in one strip.27/30

Theme [JetFangInferno - Pyrrhic Victory (Final)]
Does not match the theme at all, it has not rhythm or beat towards it, only the same beat like a piano. 17/30

Creativity/Originality
Not creative at all, this needed more warcraftish beats and sounds in it, instead of a simple piano beat and different mystery sounds.9/20

Dynamic/Tonation
it takes a long time for the song too start, and it also doesn't sound like a victory to me till the middle of the song and it flows away at the end.10/20

Composition
Doesn't really make sense to me at all, as in the beginning it takes so long to travel towards all the beats and sounds which are in the middle of the song. Also, it could be better as it was very boring to me.10/30

Theme [KeLeNoR - Orc Theme]
It matches it as it has drums and orc theme beats.28/30

Creativity/Originality
It has the same beats for a while in the song, which is quite boring.14/20

Dynamic/Tonation
There chould of been more beats and sounds instead of just drums.16/20

Composition
Nice song overall, but it chould be alot better.19/30

Theme [Teuncreemers - Furbolg Theme]
It matches your theme quite well, but the horns in the middle of the song ruin it.23/30

Creativity/Originality
Most original and simple, yet the horns and such would be better if they weren't there.16/20

Dynamic/Tonation
The flow is good, overall nice job on that.19/20

Composition
It made alot of sense and matched the theme very much so.26/30

Theme [VoidLordXtreme - The Rise of Lords]
Matches theme.30/30

Creativity/Originality
Very original. Nice.20/20

Dynamic/Tonation
Made nice effects and sounds.20/20

Composition
Awesome changes through the song.29/30

Theme [Waldbaer - Burning Legion final]
The theme seems to match very well.27/30

Creativity/Originality
Very creative with low sounds and high tone beats.18/20

Dynamic/Tonation
Great sounds and beats in this, but at some points it gets ruined.14/20

Composition
Chould be alot better, lacks a little bit.19/30

((WherewolfTherewolf's judging + Army-of-Pandas' judging) * 0.375) + ((votes / total votes) * 25) = Final score

JetFangInferno: ((83 + 46) * 0.375) + ((9 / 95) * 25) = 50.7434211
Waldbaer: ((97 + 78) * 0.375) + ((11 / 95) * 25) = 68.5197368
KeLeNoR: ((72 + 77) * 0.375) + ((4 / 95) * 25) = 56.9276316
Teuncreemers: ((91 + 84) * 0.375) + ((11 / 95) * 25) = 68.5197368
Drenferalis: ((91 + 67) * 0.375) + ((2 / 95) * 25) = 59.7763158
VoidLordXtreme: ((94 + 99) * 0.375) + ((31 / 95) * 25) = 80.5328947
EMPerror: ((81 + 38) * 0.375) + ((18 / 95) * 25) = 49.3618421
CoBrA b: ((96 + 67) * 0.375) + ((9 / 95) * 25) = 63.4934211

music%201%20winners.png

Poll | Contest

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
Wow. I never would have expected this from the poll. Third Place! Alright!:grin:

Congratulations to everyone who participated in this contest. Everyone produced a unique and well-made work of art. I was happy to listen to all of your pieces, and happy to have you listen to mine.

Also, heartfelt thanks to the judges for taking their time to critique all of the entries. I'll definitely take what you said into consideration the next time I write a piece of music.

And, of course, special congratulations to VoidLordXtrem, Waldbaer, and Teuncreemers. You guys all definitely deserved what you got!:thumbs_up:

I hope that this will only be the first of many music contests. I'm really looking forward to participating in and perhaps judging future contests!

Level 10
Wooohoo! I got the second place exactly like Teunscreemers until the 7th position after the decimal point. Really exact judging. :wink:

Thanks to the judging, especially Wherewolf has done very nice in trying to catch each single song's special feeling, as different as they are. :thumbs_up:

There were really nice pieces in here... looking forward to the next contest (I hope I'll have time to participate again) and until then... see you in the music section! :grin:

Level 6
well, good job to all the contestants... but i was second in the poll and last in the results :/

it was a good first time music contest. Too bad though that the music was mostly judged by the genre.

And, gj to voidlord, teuncreemers, waldbaers and cobra. Congratulations!

Well EMPerror I would have to say that you didn't exactly provide any sort of explanation of the theme in your song, even though it was specifically required in the rules.

Public Opinion seems much more genre oriented then the judging, yours had a very strong and catchy beat, which scores good when you start to consider many people listening for their favorite, but as to the theme it was a bit weak.

All the pieces in the contest were good, and kudos to the winners.

@EMP

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1491352-post393.html

This was the post that I based my final judging on (well I used the youtube to listen to it but that post was what was provided as your final entry and thus I was looking there for an explanation of your theme).

Sidenote:
Looking over the judging I see that Fanny.Shaver wasn't included in the final judging, was he disqualified for some reason? Army of Panda's judging of his piece is there but mine had been removed.

Level 4
I completely failed to submit my judging. >.<

This, children, is what happens when you're a procrastinating bum.

Although, I don't remember seeing any "Judges need to hand in their judging by XX/YY/2010".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.