• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #6 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
GooS - 50/100

ArcticInferno - 60/100

HFR - 65/100

Megafyr - 75/100

Acvong - 70/100

Wolfhelm - 80/100

Keiji - 60/100

Raid - 95/100

Darkyvm - 55/100

H-Bomber - 30/100

Belgarath - 70/100

CoBrA b - 68/100

Oziris - 65/100

GooS

Theme: 10/20
Style: 15/20
Originality/Concept: 18/20
Execution: 13/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 16/20

Total: 72

ArcticInferno

Theme: 13/20
Style: 15/20
Originality/Concept: 15/20
Execution: 15/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 17/20

Total: 63

HFR

Theme: 16/20
Style: 9/20
Originality/Concept: 10/20
Execution: 12/29
Atmosphere/Effect: 14/20

Total: 61

Megafyr

Theme: 17/20
Style: 18/20
Originality/Concept: 17/20
Execution: 19/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 20/20

Total: 91

Acvong

Theme: 13/20
Style: 16/20
Originality/Concept: 16/20
Execution: 17/20

Total: 79

Wolfheim

Theme: 14/20
Style: 16/20
Originality/Concept: 17/20
Execution: 9/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 11/20

Total: 67

Keiji

Originality/Concept: 19/20
Execution: 16/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 15/20

Total: 85

Raid1000

Style: 17/20
Originality/Concept: 14/20
Execution: 19/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 19/20

Total: 85

Darkwyrm

Style: 11/20
Originality/Concept: 8/20
Execution: 12/20

Total: 52

H-Bomber

Theme: 9/20
Style: 8/20
Execution: 6/20
Atmosphere/Effect: 4/20

Total: 46

Belgarath

Style: 17/20
Originality/Concept: 14/20
Execution: 17/20

Total: 75

CoBrA_b

Style: 13/20
Originality/Concept: 10/20
Execution: 12/20

Total: 63

Oziris

Execution: 16/20

Total: 86

:mwahaha:

GooS:
It’s alright. Some models are a bit more stretched than others, and some probably should have been tinted a different color to blend better with the others. The carpets seem somewhat randomly placed, although I like what you did with the carpets on the stairs (on the right). The lighting, I must say, needs a lot of work… there is WAY too much clipping, be it with other models or empty space. Furthermore, there aren’t enough girls ^^ but that didn’t actually influence your score.
45/100

ArcticInferno:
Interesting idea, but it failed a little bit. It looks like you tried very hard to make it epic, and your goal was to make intricately detailed structures with an epic foggy atmosphere, definitely something that has been done many times before, but it’s a solid strategy. You did, however, leave too much empty space, which makes it look incomplete and it makes the detailed structures contrast poorly with the un-detailed ground. Furthermore, the lighting is somewhat bland and seemingly the same throughout the entire terrain. Your use of those cliffs is not perfect, either.
36/100

HFR:
The first thing that catches my eye is the epicness of this terrain. Really, the scaling is done quite well, and you can almost feel the size of those mountains. One thing that dwarfs this enormously, however, is those stretched ground textures. I don’t think I can imagine walking on cobbles that big, I’d imagine my carriage would get stuck in a rut many a time. Also, the forest doesn’t seem to be filled up enough. Furthermore, the sun is teal. The rest is quality.
52/100

Megafyr:
Not your best terrain by a long shot. The sky pretty much fucks it all up. The fortress is pretty solid, looks very norse, in fact, and the trees are well-chosen and well-placed. You seem to be a little too obsessed with those cliffs, though, because when you used them as a ground tile, it really did not look good at all in this situation. I know it worked well in the dinosaur terrain, but not this one. The mountains in the background look like they are up against a wall that’s (poorly) painted like a sky. Backgrounds should usually fade out.
54/100
Acvong:
Nice colors. Nice lighting. Not so nice rocks, or background, or giant tree thingy. The rocks stick out too much, and look more like mussels or barnacles or some kind of annoying shellfish that you want to pick up a brick and smash. Anyways, what the hell is that tree? Why are there mountains there? Beach to mountains with no rocky cliffs? And what is that hydra doing there? It seems like you just stuck it there to fit the theme…
38/100

Wolfhelm:
Very nice terrain. I love the blue lighting, it’s done fairly well, and the building is fantastic. The lights in the windows are very well-done, the concept is brilliant, those spiky mountains really do look forbidding like a land of the titans would, and the overall layout of the terrain is really, really nice. I must say, though, I don’t really like the spam of ice doodads in the front, but that’s really just about it for negative comments.
59/100

Keiji:
Yeah, this is my favorite. The orange atmosphere fits perfectly (lulz), the environment is executed really well, the concept is great. I love those buildings, they look really awesome, and surreal even, like some kind of forerunner structure from halo (if you don’t like halo, don’t bitch ;P). The only real flaw I can point out without slapping myself for being a nitpicky little bastard is those blocks with the chains. Why are they slate gray when everything else is a sandstone-ish color? Anyways, this is the winner in my opinion.
73/100

Raid10,000billionwhateverthefuckthatnumberis:)P):
This is pretty nice I guess. The lighting is great but I THINK I may have seen it before… oh wait! You used it in your past what… 3 terrains? I think you need to variate your techniques a bit. I didn’t let that influence your score much, though. Most of the reason why this isn’t a winner is the concept. Yeah, hanging gardens, lovely. Lots of plants, they look pretty nice, but those doodad-spam columns ruin it. I’ve seen structures shaped like that SO many times before, and I’ve even made them myself, with the SAME doodads! The structures themselves aren’t even that interesting, just a few floors of doodadspam. Now for nitpicking. Those white glows, what in the fuck are they? The floors inside the buildings are empty, and on the ground floors you can even see dirt tiles. Those little lights in the buildings add a nice effect, but they don’t make sense at all, because you’d figure you’d be able to see more of the building if it was lit up like that, but all you can see is purple fog. I’m actually kind of disappointed in this; you were on a roll :[
55/100

Darkyvm:
Hmmm… I like the layout, but not really much else. The lighting is too bright for me, the environment seems too empty and somewhat awkward feeling, and those rocky lumps don’t look at all like rock formations, and if they are supposed to be mountains… well… 20-meter high mountains don’t tend to exist very often. The structure is alright enough, I guess, but it’s just city-doodad spam.
46/100

H-Bomber:
Looks like Satan renovated hell while under the influence of hallucinogens. Not too great at all, and somewhat sloppy, I can see purple boxes. Just… keep practicing.
19/100

Belgarath:
Bahh, you fuck, you have a bigger screen resolution than me. Anyways, this terrain is kinda blah. Ok atmosphere, as usual, and I guess it’s executed alright, but kinda boring. I don’t really have much else to say; it’s done well enough, but, again, boring.
42/100

CoBrA_b:
This one’s pretty damn nice. I must say the fog (water) is a little too bright of a blue, but otherwise your fog effects are pretty nice. The structure itself is really cool, but I’d say there might be too much coral on it, or the coral is just placed so randomly that it kinda diminishes its epicness. The fish are a nice touch but, again, they seem to be placed VERY randomly. I don’t know quite what effect you were trying to achieve with the glows on those tower things…
50/100

Oziris:
Not very good. Some places empty, some places filled. Some places filled alright, some places filled terribly. Overall effect is not too pleasing. The sun is too close to the horizon, and I don’t like it that way. That tree on the hill looks retarded. Why do certain types of trees tend to conglomerate around separate areas of the terrain? It’s almost as if the climate shifts a bit for each square mile. You pretty much butchered the steinlords4b doodad. Oh well, better luck next time, and at least you didn’t cheat ;]
31/100

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wrote 1100+ words in comments so you'd better read them!!!!

1ST: Raid1000 (69.07)
2ND: Megafyr (58.14)
3RD: Keiji (56.17)

Next contest starts in June.

Level 10
Congrats to winners, this was a good challenge and they earned it.

Good job to everyone else also i hope the next contest has just as many entrys.

Level 34
I don't have time to make this thread look nice, but I'll get the rep out to the winners right now.

Level 34
Is this icon okay for raid1000? ^^ It's taken from his screenshot then edited. But I can make another one (all by myself), if you want?

Attachments

• terrain06.gif
    terrain06.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 145
Level 19
Is this icon okay for raid1000? ^^ It's taken from his screenshot then edited. But I can make another one (all by myself), if you want?

that icon is awesome friky :D, i was thinking of a vase with some plants on a column but that is really nice :3

Status
Not open for further replies.