• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #1 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinematic Contest #1 Results
By: Purgeandfire

Contestants:

Notes:
  • It is possible to get +5 bonus points for imported sounds. This is not an actual grade so it won’t be 5/5, it would be +5.
Judging:

Aeroblyctos – Battle Theme

Storyline: 7/10

There wasn’t much of a storyline revealed. But I could realize that it was basic orc vs. human, and human vs. orc battle. I’ll give you points for that.

Conflict: 12/20

The conflict was pretty clear. Two races want to kill each other, and the commanders were just weird. The commander part was the creative part, but the rest wasn’t very original but it was kind of interesting.

Plot: 9/15
The plot was simply just, a bunch of units fighting. But it did have good series of events as it changed the units and had the commanders in different areas. Pretty good.

Climax & Resolution: 14/25

The resolution wasn’t that great and there weren’t many suspenseful climax points.

Music & Sounds: 9/10

The music was fantastic, but you didn’t have many other noises.

Other Sounds: +5
The imported music was fantastic, clearly matched the scene, and it kept the mood flowing.

Coding: 3/5

There were a couple of leaks, which may have explained the lag. But it was organized neatly so you get some props for that.

Terrain: 6/15

The terrain was alright, but it wasn’t all that great. Cliffs shouldn’t be used many times in my opinion for cinematics. The terrain had alright terrain but there wasn’t much atmosphere or weather. But you did have some weather and alright terrain so you get some points.

Special Effects, Battle Quality, and Cheesiness: 15/35
There weren’t many special effects and the battle quality wasn’t all that great, but this was barely cheesy. You’re lucky it wasn’t Kraft’s cheese; you would get 0 points for that. ^^

Other: 3/5

The stuff was repetitive and some of the stuff was lame. But others were pretty good. I think more sounds could have been used and some special effects would really light up the battle.

Entertainment: 34/50

It was pretty entertaining. The humor was the main part that won you those points because all those stuff were oh so true. ^^ Due to repetitiveness, lack of certain stuff, and long fades and a couple of other things, you lost a couple of points. But this was still pretty entertaining. Good job!

OVERALL SCORE: 117/185
============================================

Jonadrian619 – Contest Party

Storyline: 7/10

I guess you could say the party was the storyline. Pretty creative.

Conflict: 10/20

The conflict I guess was multiple, but meh. You still get points for it. Because one of the problems was the outtakes, then the fart contest, then the beer contest. But I wouldn’t call those exactly conflicts but it is close. So you get points.

Plot: 10/15

The plot was good. I liked the series of events and it was interesting. There was just a problem with consistency and other stuff such as that.

Climax & Resolution: 12/25

The climax wasn’t all that great. For the outtake thing, there wasn’t a climax point, but that doesn’t matter. At the fart area, there was a small climax but it was kind of predictable with only a little suspense; yet it was funny and cool. The most climactic part was probably the brew place but I didn’t see the end. And the ending wasn’t that great. I don’t like to press ALT+F4 either.

Music & Sounds: 7/10

The music and sounds weren’t executed that well, but it was smart to have some of the sounds you chose which perfectly fit in. Good job!

Other Sounds: +2
I guess the farts and the cheers were good. But there weren’t music imports. +2 points.

The coding was alright and organized but, it has a couple of leaks to fix.

Terrain: 10/15

The terrain was pretty nice, but there wasn’t much variation at points and it was crowded in the outside but real empty in the inside. I think you could of used imports and made it less “shaped”; if you know what I mean.

Special Effects, Quality, and Cheesiness: 20/35

It had nice effects, quality, and it wasn’t very cheesy. I liked how you consistently kept it flowing well and not overcrowding the areas with effects.

Some of the stuff were predictable and a tad bit confusing. I didn’t like how it ended also and how you had to click Alt+F4. It should also have better cameras. It was plain.

Entertainment: 32/50

It was pretty entertaining but it had its flaws as explained in the “other” section. I liked how you used the Blizzard sounds but it still could have been better.

OVERALL SCORE: 116/185

RED BARON – Adventure

Storyline: 18/30

The storyline was pretty good. But it was kind of flat because having an adventure isn’t that much. How the story went though, was pretty leet.

Conflict – 14/20

The problems they faced were pretty good. I like how it was consistently having a conflict.

Plot: 11/15
Some stuff weren’t finished but the plot was consistently interesting and pretty unique.

Climax & Resolution: 14/25

I didn’t notice any climax points and the resolution where the footman just floats up isn’t all that great.

Music & Sounds: 5/10

The sounds weren’t executed well. When you played certain music, I was confused because barely anything happened.

Other Sounds: +0

There weren’t any imported music.

There were a couple of leaks but it was organized nicely.

Terrain: 9/15

I liked the terrain on the island, but the water’s cliffs were plain.

Effects: 6/10

There were nice effects, but it was lacking a bit.

Other: 4/5

I loved the dialog idea. But it took me a while to view every single dialog.
Some were unfinished which annoyed me; but it was still nice. Maps’n’mods once had a cinematic contest hosted by Warnicro I believe, where you must create a dialog cinematic and there were a couple of entrants. I viewed them all and I loved them as well as yours.

Entertainment: 38/50

It wasn’t very entertaining when I had to view it over and over again but the conflict was consistently going and it made it interesting. I still had curiosity for what would happen so that is a thumbs up. I’m still very appauled by the dialog idea. Some areas, where they talked a lot weren’t great though.

Technical Note: -10 Points

You did not give proper credits to all people and you didn’t finish the map. That is -10 points. (-5 Points each) I am truly sorry, but those are the rules.

OVERALL SCORE: 112/185

Diablo-dk – Court Theme

Storyline: 9/10

Very interesting. I loved how it conflicted with me. Lol… Anyways, a court trial…. Extremely creative. In fact, I don’t think I’ve every seen it before!

Conflict: 17/20

Very interesting, I loved the conflict. A court trial, where the peasant has to defend himself. It wasn’t what I suspected.

Plot: 15/15

Very nice plot. The series of events were fantastic with almost no flaws. It also revealed itself about what happened and everything

Climax & Resolution: 20/25

The climax points built a lot of suspense. I liked it a lot. The resolution was good also. I thought that it would end after the “doh” guy (^.^) got sent away, but I guess not. Very nice. There was just not too much suspense and the end occurred quite quickly. Woot! I won!

Music & Sounds: 6/10

It had a very creative use of the sounds along with imports but there wasn’t much music. Next time, try to add some music to keep the flow going. M’kay?

Other Sounds: +4

It had many creative sounds and stuff, but it really needed music. M’kay?

Coding: 5/5

Extremely superb JASS coding. It was filled with mostly natives but there were a couple of BJs here and there. When starting sounds, I believe you should use KillSoundWhenDone. It takes a sound handle which of course is the sound you started. Also, some useless BJs are called such as “StopMusicBJ”.

Terrain: 8/15

The terrain matched the setting, which is why I gave you most of your points. But the terrain needs to be less flat, it needs tile and doodad variation, and atmosphere with some weather or imports would do great works to your terrain.

Special Effects, Quality, and Cheesiness: 28/35

The special effects were pretty nice. I don’t mean actual special effects, I mean effects in general. The quality was superb. It didn’t lag or anything and it was nicely detailed. It wasn’t very cheesy, neither was the humor. Good job!

Entertainment: 50/50

This was one of the most entertaining cinematics I’ve ever watched; despite the terrain. The coding was excellent, it didn’t lag, and it had an excellent plot. That just makes a truly awesome cinematic. I couldn’t help but give you 50/50 of this. Everything tied together so perfectly.

OVERALL SCORE: 162/185

Jaakko – Story

Storyline: 39/40

Extremely superb and awesome; I haven’t seen any cinematic about Brahn or anything near your storyline.

Conflict: 17/20

Very nice and superb; the conflict matches the storyline and is very good.

Plot: 10/15
Awesome, but there are a couple of strange events that occur.

Climax & Resolution: 18/25

The climax built suspense, but the resolution was strange. I didn’t understand how they got a disco ball in there. :p

Music & Sounds: 8/10
The sounds were good. But the music didn’t follow all that well and some of the voices weren’t loud and clear.

Other Sounds: +5

Nice imported sounds. +5

Coding: 2/5

There are many leaks in the code.

Terrain: 14/15

Extremely nice terrain; the only flaw I could find was that HappyTauren’s pine tree was used a lot in the forest. The lordaeron summer tree; that is.

The cameras weren’t executed that well and some of the events were strange and odd, yet funny. There was also a little repetitiveness in the terrain.

Entertainment: 47/50

It was very entertaining. Some parts made me get bored though because it was just a little boring. Still, I loved to see all the effects and suspenseful stuff and all the models and everything. It was all very well put together. Good job!

OVERALL SCORE: 163/185

RESULTS:
Rewards will be given soon!

Last edited:
Level 19
I can't believe you gave full points of plot and better from climax and resolution to Diablo-dk.

Like purgeandfire and purgeandfrost had nothing to do with the trial and there is no sense that he just comes to a prison and says hey I can free you.
The cinematic started as a trial but it had an ending that had nothing to do with the trial characters.

Also I didn't see climax or resolution in it at all. It ended in a very strange part.

My opinion is it was the best cinematic from other competitors and only one from them which had humour that made me smile a bit.

About my cinematic I don't think the forest looks bad with many trees. Also about where the disco ball came that's irrelevant and part of humour as a surprise.

Personally I can't believe my cinematic had only one point more. If I had lost I would thought something I won't say here and never bothered entering same contest.

The effort I put in my cinematic was huge and then I win by one point makes me kind of wonder. But in the end it don't matter how many points more I had.

And I can't believe you gave so much points to Red Baron because the cinematic was not finished at all. :/

And other note btw who cares about some leaks if you have a good computer to begin with? I don't, and won't.

EDIT: I didn't mean any harm.

Last edited:
I can't believe you gave full points of plot and better from climax and resolution to Diablo-dk.

Like purgeandfire and purgeandfrost had nothing to do with the trial and there is no sense that he just comes to a prison and says hey I can free you.
The cinematic started as a trial but it had an ending that had nothing to do with the trial characters.

Lol... It does make sense as he revealed some of it in the beginning. The trial was the main point.

The ending had to do with the trial because the character was sent to jail. It was like an alternate ending or an added ending.

Also I didn't see climax or resolution in it at all. It ended in a very strange part.

Really? The climax was at multiple points. It just built up suspense for me because it seemed quite interesting. If added music, it would be much better.

The resolution was when I won. And the other resolution was that the man was sent to jail.

My opinion is it was the best cinematic from other competitors and only one from them which had humour that made me smile a bit.

K. That is understandable. I just guess I have a bigger sense of humor, I look at people and I laugh, without them even doing anything. :p

About my cinematic I don't think the forest looks bad with many trees. Also about where the disco ball came that's irrelevant and part of humour as a surprise.

It just had the same trees repeating. Kind of, I guess, but it was confusing. I thought that the story would end with something that had to do with the bet.

Personally I can't believe my cinematic had only one point more. If I had lost I would thought something I won't say here and never bothered entering same contest.

The effort I put in my cinematic was huge and then I win by one point makes me kind of wonder. But in the end it don't matter how many points more I had.

You won for terrain, and sounds, story, and music. Diablo-dk got close for entertainment, plot, pure humor, and suspense. I guess next time, it should be a public poll, eh?

And I can't believe you gave so much points to Red Baron because the cinematic was not finished at all. :/

But it was pretty good and creative... :\

And other note btw who cares about some leaks if you have a good computer to begin with? I don't, and won't.

A coding was a part of the grade. Your coding had leaks and a couple of problems so I think that it does matter. If you have seen Rulerofiron99's cinematic where Illidan fights the Blademaster (I forgot what it was called), he had so many effects it leaked and lagged quite a bit. Yours was long so the leaks can build up. (Well, ruler's cinematic lag was mainly because of the far clipping and the fog/weather)

EDIT: I didn't mean any harm.

Don't worry about it. :wink:

No problem, I am supposed to respect your opinion. Not fight at it. Sorry if I did a bit. :p

@Daskunk: Well, it is alright now. I'm to lazy. :smile:

If they need the exact link, they can look at your post. :p

Level 10
When starting sounds, I believe you should use KillSoundWhenDone
The sounds are global, so destroying them would make them unusable.

Also, some useless BJs are called such as “StopMusicBJ”
Mehh.. i possibly didn't get to replace the init trigger with natives, though that was because it used to be GUI trigger, just needed to add some jass code, so converting was easier. I believe i also have alot of CinematicFadeBJ, but that's becase i didn't want to make my own fade function, as it was easy to use^^. Though next time i'll make less messy code and get a system(you may not have noticed the mess i made at some places, but that's what happens when you try to code something very different than what you are used to:p)

Overall, i expected that Jaakko would win, as it was far more superior than mine in many ways. I personally found it very entertaining. I can't really judge how funny my cinematic is anymore as i tested it through over 100 times, but i believe it was more "fun".

My did lack proper terrain, as it was pretty empty of doodads and suchs. Tho the only terrain i think that i got to look "kinda" well was the arena terrain. Except for lack of doodads..

Music, i knew i would get bad points on that, but i didn't have time to get proper music or anything. I'm not an expert either where to have what music and such.

Atleast i learned what NOT to do when making a cinematic(mostly conserned about coding here, as a system is clearly better..)

Ah well, a second place is better than nothing.

Gratz Jaakko.

Level 2
I'm sorry. I just can't sit back and not say anything after that...tirade.

Jaako, you're a whiner with an ego far too great for your abilities. Seriously.

Now, don't get me wrong, you have skills. You did a good job on the map, and I loved your work that you did for the Terraining contests; I'm not contradicting that in any way. But to get on and *bemoan* about much of a tortured artist you are("you don't understand my humour!", "how could I only have gotten blahblahblah?", etc.)...that lacks professionalism, man. And for someone to enter a contest to act only like that is disgraceful. The entire time you griped about one thing or another, whether it was about not having enough time(Too bad! Learn to adapt your storyline if you're going to enter something with regulations or don't bother at all) or how other people's maps weren't funny(and to note- yours wasn't either). Granted, Aero at times was just as unprofessional, but you have certainly been the most consistantly so.

In truth, I'm appalled that you were given so many points. Even before this most recent tirade I had scored you myself at 117 using the provided scale(not to say the others fared much better, but in retrospect I see I've missed a few maps that seem to be due a look-at[primarily Diablo's]), but after that childish explosion of how you *obviously* deserved much better and should have won by a greater margin, and the statement that had you *not* won you would have forever lost faith in contests again...you should be docked points. Period.

So please, the next time you enter a contest again, leave your ego and childish behavior at the door.

EDIT: And apparently I don't mean any harm either.

Level 19
Just shut up.

So this is what I get when I try to make something great for Warcraft community.
I didn't say Diablo-dk's map was not funny.

And who are you? I don't know you. What have you ever done to Warcraft community?

I'm sorry. I just can't sit back and not say anything after that...tirade.

Jaako, you're a whiner with an ego far too great for your abilities. Seriously.

Now, don't get me wrong, you have skills. You did a good job on the map, and I loved your work that you did for the Terraining contests; I'm not contradicting that in any way. But to get on and *bemoan* about much of a tortured artist you are("you don't understand my humour!", "how could I only have gotten blahblahblah?", etc.)...that lacks professionalism, man. And for someone to enter a contest to act only like that is disgraceful. The entire time you griped about one thing or another, whether it was about not having enough time(Too bad! Learn to adapt your storyline if you're going to enter something with regulations or don't bother at all) or how other people's maps weren't funny(and to note- yours wasn't either). Granted, Aero at times was just as unprofessional, but you have certainly been the most consistantly so.

In truth, I'm appalled that you were given so many points. Even before this most recent tirade I had scored you myself at 117 using the provided scale(not to say the others fared much better, but in retrospect I see I've missed a few maps that seem to be due a look-at[primarily Diablo's]), but after that childish explosion of how you *obviously* deserved much better and should have won by a greater margin, and the statement that had you *not* won you would have forever lost faith in contests again...you should be docked points. Period.

So please, the next time you enter a contest again, leave your ego and childish behavior at the door.

EDIT: And apparently I don't mean any harm either.

He hardly complained at all...Youre waaaaaayyy to picky about it. One post just to do that? For all we now youre just a differnt user with a new account.

Allthough him complaining might not be nice, youre doing it more and acting childish more than him IMO.

Allthough, you did win jaakko, so you cant really complain...

Level 35
Well I likes thi contest, and the end result is fair for my opinion, only I would have wished that I had remembered to credit those two models.... Only place I had some problems with was the theird place, but well couldnt have been differnt according to the judging system.
HeretoDLstuff: Well I am going to finish mine and upload to the hive... so it would be a finished product.

And this is only a contest on the web... not life and dead dual

Last edited:
The sounds are global, so destroying them would make them unusable.

Mehh.. i possibly didn't get to replace the init trigger with natives, though that was because it used to be GUI trigger, just needed to add some jass code, so converting was easier. I believe i also have alot of CinematicFadeBJ, but that's becase i didn't want to make my own fade function, as it was easy to use^^. Though next time i'll make less messy code and get a system(you may not have noticed the mess i made at some places, but that's what happens when you try to code something very different than what you are used to:p)

Overall, i expected that Jaakko would win, as it was far more superior than mine in many ways. I personally found it very entertaining. I can't really judge how funny my cinematic is anymore as i tested it through over 100 times, but i believe it was more "fun".

My did lack proper terrain, as it was pretty empty of doodads and suchs. Tho the only terrain i think that i got to look "kinda" well was the arena terrain. Except for lack of doodads..

Music, i knew i would get bad points on that, but i didn't have time to get proper music or anything. I'm not an expert either where to have what music and such.

Atleast i learned what NOT to do when making a cinematic(mostly conserned about coding here, as a system is clearly better..)

Ah well, a second place is better than nothing.

Gratz Jaakko.

Meh, I guess so. Yea, that is understandable. I too convert GUI triggers sometimes if I want to easy out my work.

Just shut up.

So this is what I get when I try to make something great for Warcraft community.

And who are you? I don't know you. What have you ever done to Warcraft community?

Rofl.

Well I likes thi contest, and the end result is fair for my opinion, only I would have wished that I had remembered to credit those two models.... Only place I had some problems with was the theird place, but well couldnt have been differnt according to the judging system.
HeretoDLstuff: Well I am going to finish mine and upload to the hive... so it would be a finished product.

And this is only a contest on the web... not life and dead dual

I thought you were supposed to credit 100-200 models + the Ultimate Terraining Map? =P

So eh what kind of icon am I going to get? :D

...This result thread got on my nerves.
The least was link to their work and not their profile.

God damnit, fine I'll replace the links with the actual post.

Hmm I would suggest a dwarf or DarthVader or a mix... half and half of those

I'll ask Wolv later about teh icon.

Level 32
So eh what kind of icon am I going to get? :D
I dished out the reputation awards the other day. I'm working on the icon: it'll be cool, expect to see it within the next couple days.

[off-topic]

Community > FAQ > THW Rules > Community Friendliness
The Hive is a friendly community: all users are expected to treat one another with dignity and respect.

Level 2
Jaakko said:
Just shut up.
I will do so once I have had my say, as I will have no reason to continue this discussion afterwards.

No, this is what you get for being a conceited ass who consistantly complained about the negative comments drected towards an inferior map and tried to play yourself and your map off as a divine gift to the community and could not comprehend why others did not think so as well.

Nor did I say that you said his map wasn't funny.

And who are you?
That's obvious- I'm Tevin. If that is insufficient, my real name is Matthew Stewart. I am 20 years old as of this past May and beginning my fourth year in university, currently studying in South Korea to complete my International Studies degree (focusing on international business and public relations) and Korean language minor. I am a translater and writer, specializing in medieval high fantasy and modern-day shoujo(that is, a storyline with a target audience of teenage and young adult women, portaying a romantic storyline with heavy character development), and am pursuing a career that will allow me to do both.

And yourself? It is only proper to name yourself in like once I have given my name in response to your inquiry.

I don't know you.
Likewise, other than through some work through here. However, it is not necessary for us to know each other intimately in order for me to make a comment on your behavior.

What have you ever done to Warcraft community?
So now in order to give an opinion I have to have a work history in this field? Laughable, truly.

As to your question, I have yet to submit any work for the WCIII community, although I have been party to beta tests. I'm not a map-maker, nor a JASSer, or a modeler- I'm just a scriptwriter who doesn't have the desire to take on all aspect of a project solo.

HereToDLstuff said:
He hardly complained at all...
You seem to have a short memory and have neglected to remember the first thread, which was essentially filled with complaints, just as it seems to be happening here.

Youre waaaaaayyy to picky about it.
Perhaps. Maybe my expectations from people are a bit too high. I believe that proper decorum should be held by a contestant during a competition- to not do so is insulting to both the other entrants and the competition itself. I will be sure to lower them, however, so that more people can have my good will and praise for unworthy, inferior conduct.

One post just to do that?
Would you have rathered half a dozen? Granted, I could do that if you truly desire it, but that's a bit more than necessary; I believe one post like that is more than sufficent to portray the disgust and irritation garnered from his actions, and have no further need to make the assertations I did in the manner I had.

For all we now youre just a differnt user with a new account.
And who would I be the second account of, pray tell? I am actually quite curious to see your response to this if only to see who else may have been likewise exasperated by him in the past. Also, why would I have posts a month prior to this incident if this were merely an account to sully his name (although I think he is doing a fine job of that on his own)? Please, do your research before jumping on the first and easiest conclusion available, as more oft than not it isn't viable.

I plan to stick around after this incident, so it is not as if this will simply become a ghost account.

Allthough him complaining might not be nice, youre doing it more and acting childish more than him IMO.
And that's your opinion, something you are most certainy entitled to! Although I do disagree (as I have complained but this one time as opposed to the torrent unleashed by the target of my ire), to deny your being able to say it is not right, just as I feel I have my right as a member to give my opinion on a situation I was displeased with, and how equally wrong it would be to silence my words.

Wolverabid said:
[off-topic]

Community > FAQ > THW Rules > Community Friendliness

The Hive is a friendly community: all users are expected to treat one another with dignity and respect.
Duly noted, and the change in language used has been made to accommodate the desires of the staff.

Level 37
It seems like Jaakko, you are too proud of yourself. Your cinematic is just one in a big mass of cinematics, as you are just a mapmaker among others.

The cinematic contest was good and well made all credits to PurgeandFire111, thank you.

The result was good, but I hoped for the voting. It is always better to vote the winner.

Well, I got the third position. I think it good position. I hope you guys luck and we should have more this kind of contests.

No offence but...

Tevin, I just have to agree with your posts here!

Somehow I find them very amusing and true.
I like your way of arguing!

And Jaakko. You won the contest already.
Why do you still whine and complain?

Your cinematic was good.
Your behaviour is horrible and selfish.

And before replying, how about reading your previous posts here and seeing if they contain any selfishness or rude behaviour.

Behave

Wtf. I don't care what you three think about me. Don't you see that you are assaulting me when I have only been talking about cinematics.

Let's see how the topic started...
(Only the noteworthy parts are mentioned)

1. Scores and winners are announced
  2. Jaakko is being congratulated for winning
  3. Jaakko complains about the other cinematics and practically declares his cinematic as his divine gift for the community
  4. Post edited to indicate no harm was meant (xD)
  5. Purgeandfire explains that the other cinematics actually were good too and that Jaakkos cinematic was actually not THAT perfect.
  6. Tevin's post of truth.
  7. Jaakko get's pissed off for hearing the truth...

What I find funny and weird here, is the fact that:
  • Jaakko was praised for winning.
  • Instead of being happy, Jaakko started complaining that other maps got too good ratings and that his map was better than the rates given to it.
  • Tevin get's pissed off and notes Jaakko for his behaviour
  • Jaakko get's pissed off and assaults Tevin.
And so on other people get involved later...

But the point of this is:

Jaakko. Behave.

If you win something and get the first place, it is not the place to start whining about how sucky your opponents were and how much better you are.

Next time just take it easy, show respect and don't throw a tantrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.