• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #10 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
0.png
results.png

titlescreen-png.298291

Retro
Participants are to create a music piece that sounds retro - as in music from the 20th century.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participants: 5 reputation points
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

entries.png

This YouTube video contains all the entries. The start time of each song is in the video description.

User Entry

AditTechno
Specificity

deepstrasz
Living a Game

Brambleclaw
Retro Like YMO

Its Ryan Boi
Laser Nights

Hakren
Retro Gear

judges.png

contest%20judging.png

scores.png
Final Score = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)
  • Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
Specifity - By AditTechno

Theme 11/15
Sounds like late 90s,the bad production on the pad makes everything sound blurry though,hurts the retro sound a lot.
I looooved the synth lead,sounds vintage,great choice,overall feels like it would fit a sci-fi game,and by the name of the track,i guess it was your objective.

Creativity/Originality 7/10
The drums sound almost real,which helps with the late 90s feel.But other than that i dont feel anything strike out as an interesting idea here,i see the atmosphere you're trying to achieve but i think it doesnt quite get to it.

Production 5/10
Now here is where it goes bad,the pad,either volume down or some EQ to the 200hz-500hz could fix it,the pad also fights a lot with the bass around the 100hz area,almost like the pad is being the bass of the song actually,really just because of the pad i cant really hear other problems if there any others.

Composition 12/15
You did a well enough job on the solo parts plus combining them later on,which makes you forget you are indeed hearing only 2 chords all the way through,good job with that,the composition is satisfying i think,but the overall simplicity comes at the cost of not being too interesting after listening to it multiple times.

Overall 35/50

Retro Gear - By Hakren

I swear,i went and googled soundtracks of many old racing games,it almost felt like it was ripped off of them when i first listened xD

Theme 15/15
Absolutely perfect in this regard,not much to comment about it,sounds like something you would actually hear in a real retro racing game in N64 or something.

Creativity/Originality 8/10
You picked a specific kind of game i see.And seemed to go after something that really makes you think of racing games really and achieved that.

Production 10/10
Sounds clean to me,some good stereo effects at some parts of the track as well,cant really get an ear on any problems,and all of the sounds are good choices.

Composition 12/15
Good bass lines,and a fitting melody,but very short,i feel it could have played around a bit,the middle part/solo of the song could have been longer,or there could be more parts to the song altogheter.Well in other words,the song is over the minute(heh) you start getting really into it.

Overall 45/50

Living a Game - By deepstrasz

Theme 15/15
It sounds so good i could almost see a platformer game with black background and NES grapichs in my head,some 64 sounds are put in later but they work just as well.

Creativity/Originality 10/10
It feels like you tried to tell a story here,i cant quite grasp it,but i can tell its being told,so plus for creativity there.Also seemed to be the only one to go almost full 8-bit.Plus you mixed in 8 bit with 64era sounds.

Production 8/10
Clean,at 01:50 i feel one of the guitars should have stopped going around the ears,gets a little distracting/blurry after a while,at 01:20 the rumble/Timpani or whatever it is,could be turned down or gotten a cut in the low end.Other than that nothing else to point out.

Composition 14/15
All instruments have insteresting lines,and the track doesnt get boring all the way through,though i feel the second build up didnt deliver as well as the first,which feels a little dissapointing only because the first buildup was really good.

Overall 47/50

Laser Nights By Its Ryan Boi

Theme 7/15
This sounds more like something from after 2000 than before that,many elements from later electronic music are heard in this track,i tried seeing how it comparies to 90s Dance/House/etc but i couldnt find many things retro about this track,while it did seem you mixed in retro-like sounds,some other sounds just make this seem way more like a modern production in general(The piano-like/Glock/whateveritis sound for example).

Creativity/Originality 6/10
It did seem like you were going for some retro dark fantasy/dark sci-fi vibe,it achieves that at the intro,but some of the sounds ruin it as i mention on Theme.

Production 9/10
I dont see any big problems,nice punchy kick,though i feel like the bass could have been better overall,both in choice of sound and in its lines,which are simple and repeat a lot.

Composition 7/15
I feel like you could've done better,i see a lot of potential for more in this track,but it doesnt deliver,the kick coming in does feel good,but after that everything feels like its just repeating,maybe stop copy pasting patterns/loops too much.

Overall 21/50

Retrolike YMO By Brambleclaw

Theme 15/15
Feels perfectly retro for me,nothing to point out here really.

Creativity/Originality 10/10
You mixed a lot of different retro elements from game soundtrack from the late 90s and the 80s and also Club/House/etc from those times.

Production 8/10
Feels pretty clean overall in sound quality,and choice of sounds are all good,kicks are punchy as well,at first i was a bit weirded out by that sound that comes first time at 01:20 ,but it actually fits pretty well overall.
Altough at 01:50 a sound seems to come up and mess up the bass a bit,a little cut in the the low part of that sound was needed.

Composition 13/15
Well made,and solo lines are really good,though i feel like you should have just ended it at 04:31 and it would've been just perfect,feels like the rest of the track just seems to be dragging on unnecessarily,unless it had built up again that is.

Overall 46/50

First Place
Living a Game by
deepstrasz

Second Place
Retro Gear by
Hakren

Third Place
Retro Like YMO by
Brambleclaw

Contest Thread | Poll Thread

Level 10
Whoa, guess it went better than i expected :D. Thanks for everything.

Just like @Its Ryan Boi, i'm anxious for the next contest. I will try to bring a friend for the upcoming ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.