• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #11 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

results.png

movie-set-jpg.311937

Cinematic

Participants are to create a cinematic soundtrack that would be suited for modern styled cinematic tracks that you would hear today.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participants: 5 reputation points
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

entries.png

This YouTube video contains all the entries. The start time of each song is in the video description.

Participant Entry
deepstrasz Middle Eastern Adventure
It's Ryan Boi March of the Horns
Brambleclaw Cine
Hakren Unknown Waters
enzo2090 Pulsating Universe
GhostOfPast New Lands
Phantawalker Castle Defenders

judges.png

contest%20judging.png

scores.PNG
Final Score = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)
  • Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Lands - GhostOfPast

[+]
+ Strong, bold
+ Honor and glory feelings well represented
+ Nice riffs and ideas but poor executions (mostly from the quality of plugins)

[-]
- Too harsh transitions
- Feels like a mock up rather than finished
- Too many different areas, focus on one section
- Needs mixing and mastering, does not feel deep and big. Reverb especially lacking.

Theme 10/15
Creativity 8/10
Production 5/10
Composition 11/15

Total 34/50

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulsating Universe - enzo2090

[+]
+ Slow and firm buildup that leads to a satisfying climax
+ Good atmosphere

[-]
- Ends rather abrupt
- Mixing needs work, especially during the climax high ends become too much on top of everything.
The percussion feels rather small compared to the whole sound as well.
- The build up kind of takes forever to actually build up.

Theme 13/15
Creativity 9/10
Production 8/10
Composition 11/15

Total 41/50

Castle Defenders - Phantawalker

[+]
+ Good atmosphere
+ Nicely done partitioning

[-]
- Some plugins feel out of place (especially the violins around 0:40ish)
- The intro feels rather like a comedic, middle earth hobbiton heroism building up, but the end
introduces us with the bagpipes with a rather nostalgic and a moody feeling which does not fit well
together that much.

Theme 13/15
Creativity 7/10
Production 8/10
Composition 14/15

Total 42/50

Cine - Brambleclaw

[+]
+ Dramatic, promising intro
+ Good tension but weak climax

[-]
- The percussion is too much in the foreground and could be reduced. It is probably because of
too many hits rather than volume knob.
- Violins unfortunately sound synthetic.
- Lack of strong percussion for such a powerful and epic sounding piece.
- Abrupt ending.
- Piano does not serve a purpose here: The change is just too drastic. Breaks the immersion from the
very good orchestral stuff going on before itself. Additionally, the piano was never used before and
it is forced on us so suddenly.
- The very intro part gives a very good romantic and a brave tone but then it goes into something more
heroic and battle theme. In my own opinion, the intro could be introduced more with according romantic
features and slowly turn into the thrilling section around 1:09s. The overall piece would've had a good
impact, but this is more of a personal taste.

Theme 9/15
Creativity 7/10
Production 7/10
Composition 10/15

Total 33/50

Middle Eastern Adventure - deepstrasz

[+]
+ Good rhytm and atmosphere
+ In spite of some problems I appreciate the courage of bringing in new ideas.
+ Consistence of the theme

[-]
- Bad chord progression at the intro (could be introduced with better resolving chords)
- Some out of place plugins
- Could've been a lot more interesting if proceeded with the techno elements after slow down around
2:55s, instead of ending with that way too long "fade out".

Theme 11/15
Creativity 8/10
Production 6/10
Composition 9/15

Total 34/50

March of the Horns - It's Ryan Boi

[+]
+ Good ideas but could be executed better.
+ Composition wise; it is solid but it sticks to rather repetitive sections while it could
use new ideas on the same theme.
+ The synth sets a good atmosphere.

[-]
- Depth is lacking. There is treble and mids but overall depth is missing. Usage of basses could be
enhanced, and brought in forward a bit.
- Especially percussion needs mixing. It is very raw in this version. Making them more punchy and
bigger could serve a better purpose.
- Lack of reverb on brass. Brass feels somewhat weak.
- Sound levels need adjusting. Especially percussion.

Theme 13/15
Creativity 8/10
Production 7/10
Composition 10/15

Total 38/50

Unknown Waters - Hakren

[+]
+ Good, intriguing intro

[-]
- Some instruments feel very synthetic, especially strings
- Turns rather repetitive
- Lack of depth and reverb!
- Bells are too loud and distracts the ear from the rest of the piece.

Theme 11/15
Creativity 7/10
Production 5/10
Composition 9/15

Total 32/50

First Place
Castle Defenders by
Phantawalker

Second Place
March of the Horns by
Its Ryan Boi

Third Place
Pulsating Universe by
enzo2090

Contest Thread | Poll Thread

Level 16
I was the first judge initially but it got taken down, you know, homeworks never cooperate.
But on the judging itself, Brambleclaw is, for me, the one that has the best variation, and Its Ryan Boi as the one that has the best transition and portrayal.
Anyway, it's been great. Looking forward to the next round!

Level 16
Oh didn't notice the results where released! Congratulations on first place @Phantawalker and well done @enzo2090 with your submission. Everyone did well this time around in my opinion.

As for now, I won't be joining any music contests until I get a new laptop, as my current one isn't working well enough... Pretty much cant make any music at all for the mean time until I get it.

Thanks,
IRB

Level 16
Oh didn't notice the results where released! Congratulations on first place @Phantawalker and well done @enzo2090 with your submission. Everyone did well this time around in my opinion.

As for now, I won't be joining any music contests until I get a new laptop, as my current one isn't working well enough... Pretty much cant make any music at all for the mean time until I get it.

Thanks,
IRB

Thread Bump: Bumping the thread due to the awkward inactivity. I'm pretty sure a result thread does not drag out for this long right? Anyway thought id drag someones attention to it.

Thanks,
IRB

Status
Not open for further replies.