1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #10 - Retro

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Naze, May 18, 2018.

1. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:

Attached Files:

2. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I just listened to this and its fucking brilliant. I loved the drum kit a lot.

What I want to add are 2 things rn with my sleepy head.

1) Idk when it starts but it is playing at 2:30 for example till the end. The percussion instrument like a ping pong ball sound. It is a bit in front of every other instruments. Try getting back a bit imo.

2) I had the feeling of a movement as that instrument started playing. The song was like going for a final blow. Maybe add a hihat as it progresses, add more dynamic to the song. The end will feel more satisfying after that. The synths starting at 3:04 can be a good cue for the hihats. Maybe pull those synths a bit back and start em sooner then subtly enter the hihats and a few little extras if you'd like.

3. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, songs in the 2000s before 2010 are also Retro.

4. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Aren't they too recent? =P
    Yeah some of them may sound really old-fashioned to today standards. Anyway I'm just following the theme description set in the theme discussion thread by whoever suggested this.
    Nice ambient rock track though. It reminded me of some cool bands that occasionally have similiar composition style, so that's a good thing.

5. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, this is the entry, 100% final.
    This is the second time I did slow tempo tracks. The first one was the 7th entry.
    There might be some similarities to the 7th entry (Stream), but it's a coincidence.

Attached Files:

6. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    WIP?

Attached Files:

7. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  8. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Final until divine intervention or something...

Attached Files:

10. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are currently 5 participants now...

11. Its Ryan Boi

Its Ryan Boi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Okay, okay. I'll join.... I'll just assume retro will go for anything that sounds "80's-90's sounding" without being genre specific. I'm going for ambient electronic... If that's even the right genre for what I'm going for.

edit:

Update #1:
    [​IMG]

Quick note here, just in case someone asked. (1) The highlighted area was the region I exported. (2) What VST's am I using? Addictive Keys, Half-Time and iZotope. I've not yet used Wavestation VST in the project, but I'll eventually get to that. (3) Why am I only showing the highlighted area? Because it needs a lot of work. (4) What DAW are you using to produce music? Ableton 9 Live.

Update #2
    [​IMG]

This is not quite complete yet, but it's pretty close. Needs more mixing and mastering before it's really complete, but, not much to go from here. A few things are subject to change with the next upload, which will be my final upload.

Thanks,
    Vista Sucks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  12. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    WIP 2? Maybe its more like progressive electronic?

Attached Files:

13. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm going to update the entry again, because I need to improve the sound. I will edit this post once I have the entry covered.

In the meantime, expecting more participants :)

14. Its Ryan Boi

Its Ryan Boi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Agreed... But even then, some songs that extend out as far as 2005 have that early 90's and in some rare cases 80's, but the only thing that different I think, which contributes to a less retro feel is the sound quality. I personally have a hard time trying to get that "80's/90's quality" as opposed to creating sounds inspired from those times (You can easily see what I mean with my updated upload on my previous post (Not official and final upload). Is sound quality going to heavily affect your scoring (Like if it sounds too clear, due to modern mixing standars)?

15. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not as heavily as other themes ("...won't be taken as bad production"). On the 80s-90s era, the sounds were clear because of recording and then mixed with hardwares (mostly). We are now in the digital era, though, so I think mixing with the modern mixing standards is okay, as long as it sounds similar to that of 80s-90s songs.
    It's also an effort to make it sound clear, though, but not as loud as today standards.

16. Its Ryan Boi

Its Ryan Boi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    **Slowly puts the compressor away**

Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me. This should be useful for others too... I'll keep it in mind before I upload my final submission. Needs more variation my track. I will probably work out a way to change the texture of the entire track though the master, to give off more of a warm 80s feel to it.

17. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here's the final entry.

Attached Files:

18. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    My father can help me doing the guitar part (it's just an accompaniment), it is still in the rules ?
    I'm asking before doing anything bad eheheh

19. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess the word "physically" doesn't allow that :( @GhostOfPast
    I'm not sure if the word "someone else" can also refer to "his son" or something.

20. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    mmmmh Aight. i'll do this without it. Sadly the guitar synth are not very good so that won't be true epic Eurobeat ehehehe
    In life we got what we can, not what we want.