• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #10 - Retro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

music.png
contest.png

number.png
1.png
0.png

titlescreen.png

Retro
Participants are to create a music piece that sounds retro - as in music from the 20th century.

It can be some sort of an oldschool bebop track, some "all over the place" 80s synthy goodness, early rock from 1950s, retro game music, or anything in between. No genre restrictions, as long as it sounds like it's from the 20th century. Seemingly dated production methods (by modern standards) can be an important part of the appeal (like panning drums left/vocals right to simulate Beatles or any really old song) and won't be taken as bad production.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 1 Work In Progress (WIP) in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should have your submission attached, ideally with a little presentation,
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your WIP must include a screenshot of your worksheet.
  • Your final entry must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3 or OGG).
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Songs shouldn't contain only a single instrument soloing.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using sequencers, virtual instruments, sound samples and standard recording.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the vocals are being treated as if they were instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
    • If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
    • Sampling copyrighted material without the consent of the owner is illegal and will not be accepted.
    • You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
    • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that you wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments are simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

prizes.png

• 1st place: 40 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 25 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Participants: 5 reputation points
  • Judges: 5 reputation points
The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

contest%20judging.png

• Mr. Vacant
  • Ms. Vacant

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc.
/10

Production
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?/15

/50

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 20th May 2018 and conclude on 19th July 2018 GMT (day is included).

tips.png

Here are some free to use resources that can get you started:

• Audacity: Free Audio recording program - though you have to start a new track every time you record (cut and paste across tracks to deal with this), this handy audio program has nearly no latency (non-noticeable) and is a great start for people recording actual instruments.
  • ModPlug Tracker: A tracker composing program. Pretty easy to use and powerful. Doesn't come with very many instruments although more are easy to get.
  • FL Studio (formerly known as Fruity Loops): Another powerful composer. Has a bit of a steep learning curve and also is not free but there is a trial version you can use.
  • Switch Audio Converter: Free audio file changing program - can convert to less commenly used audio file types like RAW's and Orggis Vorbis along with the big ones like MP3's (Can convert iTunes locked format too).
  • Psycle: A free sequencer type program - similar to Mod Plug. Has a bit of a learning curve, though it's pretty powerful when used correctly.
  • Mp3 Direct Cut: Simplistic audio editing program that allows you to edit Mp3 directly, from their original file (don't forget to back up the original).
  • Krystal Audio Engine: Similar to Audacity, though this program is tooled more towards people editing or mixing music - recording can generate some terrible latency. (Essentially its more powerful then Audacity, but much more difficult to record a sound directly to it)
  • Hammerhead Rythm Station: A free drum machine that has built in sounds geared towards Electronica and Dance music. Also supports importing your own drum sounds via userbanks (some userbanks are provided on the site) and the entire sound library can be edited if you get more advanced with it - Drum parts can be exported as wav's and then used in your music. You will want to use Switch Audio engine if you plan on importing your own sounds as it only supports the RAW format.
  • Guitar Pro 5 - A popular Tab program that is capable of producing MIDI works. When used with the RSE plugins it can produce some realistic guitar/bass/drum parts. There is a trial version that allows for 15 days free - RSE can't be used in the trial version
  • Acoustica Beatcraft a drum machine that works similarly to Hammerhead but with more power (like the ability to use triplets). The free trial can be downloaded multiple times
  • FamiTracker: Sequencer for producing old school Nes/Famicon music. Music made from this can be played on an actual NES or Famicon (if you happen to know how to transfer such works to a game cartridge)
  • Suggest some more!
  • Cockos REAPER: REAPER is a complete digital audio production application for Windows and OS X, offering a full multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing and mastering toolset. Has a 60-day 100% functional trial and can still be used after that.
Additionally, this page can help some new composers to create better music if they don't have any good workstation to work on:

The 10 Best Free DAWs Available - RouteNote Blog

Extra two here as well:

SAVIHost – Standalone VST host for Windows
Ohm Studio - this might be paid by now.

Download Free Digital Audio Workstation plug-in: Podium Free by Zynewave its in the DAW list but i feel its better than most options,FL Studio is good but not being able to save a project is a big minus
Komplete : Samplers : Kontakt 5 Player | Products Very good and comes with a bunch of good stuff already,plus just googling ''Free Kontakt player libraries'' and you'll find a lot of stuff no doubt
Ultimate List of Free Kontakt Libraries A list of free libraries for kontakt.Be aware though,not all kontakt libraries will play on the kontakt player,some will play in demo mode as they require the full kontakt version,others will play normally
bigcat Instruments This guy makes a lot of good stuff for kontakt,free.

Assigned Staff: @Naze

Level 9
Awesome,you should include old game-like sound is also approved in the theme description i think.As the theme is Retro,not Synthwave or Retrowave,unless im wrong of course.

And here's some stuff i have that might be useful for everyone participating in this.

Yamaha DX7 emulation,if you want to sound like games from nintendo64 its probably the best.
Download Free DX7 style synth plug-in: Dexed by Digital Suburban

Devicer,emulates different sound hardware,not very stable,but sounds good
Download Free Various simulators plug-in: Devicer by Plektron

8bitz,some 8bit drums,thats it
Download Free 8 bits drums plug-in: 8bitZ by DSK

Arminator,classic Yamaha CS-80 emulation,and one of the best at it in my opinion.
Download Free Yamaha CS80 emulation plug-in: Arminator by Krakli

MinimogueVA,actually just found this,didnt use it yet,but it seems to be the best there for free,not many good minimoog emulations for free out there
Download Free Minimoog emulation plug-in: MiniMogueVA by Glen Stegner

And two chiptune 8 bit synths
Download Free 8 bit wave table plug-in: Chip32 by Sam
Download Free 8 bit chip sounds plug-in: basic 65 by de la Mancha

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I would be concerned with accepting MIDI files. MIDI files do not necessarily define the instruments used for playback and so might sound considerably different on another system from the one the author used to create them and what the author intended them to sound like. This is one of the reasons MIDI usage as a distribution format has largely decreased in recent times.

If one does produce a MIDI I would suggest also providing a lossy sampled version of that MIDI just encase judges have problems with consistent playback.

Level 28
Yes, yes, that MIDI concern from Dr Super Good stands true. I'll update the contest rules to remove that, so the entries can be analyzed consistently.

Judges please.
Well, we're accepting applications for judges atm =P But hey, if you wanna participate as a contestant rather than a judge, it's not a problem at all.

Can I join?
Yes yes, mister!

Here we go, first WiP. Just showing some of the samples + a small intro. May change a lot later, but it display the basics of what i planned to do.

My objective : EUROBEAAAAT :mwahaha:

Haha cool! Very moving as it is right now. Curious about its progress.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yes, yes, that MIDI concern from Dr Super Good stands true. I'll update the contest rules to remove that, so the entries can be analyzed consistently.
*OR* one can install VirtualMIDISynth, and then play the MIDI file with the appropriate SoundFont provided by the participant?

VirtualMIDISynth | CoolSoft

MIDI files do not necessarily define the instruments used for playback and so might sound considerably different on another system from the one the author used to create them and what the author intended them to sound like. This is one of the reasons MIDI usage as a distribution format has largely decreased in recent times.
It is also because Microsoft has deprecated DirectMusic.

DirectMusic - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
*OR* one can install VirtualMIDISynth, and then play the MIDI file with the appropriate SoundFont provided by the participant?
Yes but then one would need to make it clear that both MIDI and SoundFont have to be provided when taking that entry route, not just the MIDI file. This assumes one has permission to distribute the SoundFont freely, something that I highly doubt some paid professional packages allow.

Level 17
Awesome,you should include old game-like sound is also approved in the theme description i think.As the theme is Retro,not Synthwave or Retrowave,unless im wrong of course.

And here's some stuff i have that might be useful for everyone participating in this.

Yamaha DX7 emulation,if you want to sound like games from nintendo64 its probably the best.
Download Free DX7 style synth plug-in: Dexed by Digital Suburban

Devicer,emulates different sound hardware,not very stable,but sounds good
Download Free Various simulators plug-in: Devicer by Plektron

8bitz,some 8bit drums,thats it
Download Free 8 bits drums plug-in: 8bitZ by DSK

Arminator,classic Yamaha CS-80 emulation,and one of the best at it in my opinion.
Download Free Yamaha CS80 emulation plug-in: Arminator by Krakli

MinimogueVA,actually just found this,didnt use it yet,but it seems to be the best there for free,not many good minimoog emulations for free out there
Download Free Minimoog emulation plug-in: MiniMogueVA by Glen Stegner

And two chiptune 8 bit synths
Download Free 8 bit wave table plug-in: Chip32 by Sam
Download Free 8 bit chip sounds plug-in: basic 65 by de la Mancha

There's also that japanese 8bit one magic or something. YMCK official website | Magical 8bit Plug -Free VST Plugin-

Level 16
Here's my entry, Specificity! It's an Ambient Rock music.
Made entirely in FL Studio.
Drums are made using FPC.
All presets are the stock ones that come from the start.

This entry is 90% final, I might do something to improve the sound.

P.S. I love Sytrus :)

Attachments

• AditTechno - Specificity.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 158
Level 19
Final WiP. Gotta finish the song now...

I just listened to this and its fucking brilliant. I loved the drum kit a lot.

What I want to add are 2 things rn with my sleepy head.

1) Idk when it starts but it is playing at 2:30 for example till the end. The percussion instrument like a ping pong ball sound. It is a bit in front of every other instruments. Try getting back a bit imo.

2) I had the feeling of a movement as that instrument started playing. The song was like going for a final blow. Maybe add a hihat as it progresses, add more dynamic to the song. The end will feel more satisfying after that. The synths starting at 3:04 can be a good cue for the hihats. Maybe pull those synths a bit back and start em sooner then subtly enter the hihats and a few little extras if you'd like.

Level 28
In my opinion, songs in the 2000s before 2010 are also Retro.
Aren't they too recent? =P
Yeah some of them may sound really old-fashioned to today standards. Anyway I'm just following the theme description set in the theme discussion thread by whoever suggested this.
Nice ambient rock track though. It reminded me of some cool bands that occasionally have similiar composition style, so that's a good thing.

Level 16
Okay, this is the entry, 100% final.
This is the second time I did slow tempo tracks. The first one was the 7th entry.
There might be some similarities to the 7th entry (Stream), but it's a coincidence.

Attachments

• AditTechno - Specificity.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 151
Level 16
Okay, okay. I'll join.... I'll just assume retro will go for anything that sounds "80's-90's sounding" without being genre specific. I'm going for ambient electronic... If that's even the right genre for what I'm going for.

edit:

Update #1:
qlFDLkX.png

Quick note here, just in case someone asked. (1) The highlighted area was the region I exported. (2) What VST's am I using? Addictive Keys, Half-Time and iZotope. I've not yet used Wavestation VST in the project, but I'll eventually get to that. (3) Why am I only showing the highlighted area? Because it needs a lot of work. (4) What DAW are you using to produce music? Ableton 9 Live.

Update #2
vkTP8wk.png

This is not quite complete yet, but it's pretty close. Needs more mixing and mastering before it's really complete, but, not much to go from here. A few things are subject to change with the next upload, which will be my final upload.

Thanks,
Vista Sucks

Attachments

• RetroAmbientMusicContest#10.mp3
    606 KB · Views: 151
  • RetroAmbientMusicContest#10 Update.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Level 16
Aren't they too recent? =P
Yeah some of them may sound really old-fashioned to today standards. Anyway I'm just following the theme description set in the theme discussion thread by whoever suggested this.
Nice ambient rock track though. It reminded me of some cool bands that occasionally have similiar composition style, so that's a good thing.
Agreed... But even then, some songs that extend out as far as 2005 have that early 90's and in some rare cases 80's, but the only thing that different I think, which contributes to a less retro feel is the sound quality. I personally have a hard time trying to get that "80's/90's quality" as opposed to creating sounds inspired from those times (You can easily see what I mean with my updated upload on my previous post (Not official and final upload). Is sound quality going to heavily affect your scoring (Like if it sounds too clear, due to modern mixing standars)?

Level 16
Is sound quality going to heavily affect your scoring (Like if it sounds too clear, due to modern mixing standars)?
Not as heavily as other themes ("...won't be taken as bad production"). On the 80s-90s era, the sounds were clear because of recording and then mixed with hardwares (mostly). We are now in the digital era, though, so I think mixing with the modern mixing standards is okay, as long as it sounds similar to that of 80s-90s songs.
It's also an effort to make it sound clear, though, but not as loud as today standards.

Level 16
but not as loud as today standards.

**Slowly puts the compressor away**

Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me. This should be useful for others too... I'll keep it in mind before I upload my final submission. Needs more variation my track. I will probably work out a way to change the texture of the entire track though the master, to give off more of a warm 80s feel to it.

Level 16
Uh, i'm seriously reconsidering my participation. I really lack of any eurobeat synths. Welp let's see in the end if i can hold on until finished.
I'm sure there are tutorials on how to make these kinds of things. Try and start there, ans see where it ends up!

Don't lose hope. Mix genres, extend the deadline so we can all have fun.
I agree with the deadline extension. Even though I'm pretty much done with the final product (won't upload now). I'd prefer to see it extended to see what others will make.

Level 28
Alright here is the final submission. I hope you guy's like it - did put effort into this. All I did since my last update was add more percussion, adjust EQ, tweak levels and automated a few parameters to add more variation to the track.
Sounds like your efforts did provide a nice result! I'll add it to the entries table. But before adding it with the title "CompleteRetroMusicContest#10", do you wish it to have a different title?

3 entries, should we bring in another week?
Yes, let's wait for the other guys too:
Music Contest #10 - Retro
Yes yes, @GhostOfPast @RiotZ @Brambleclaw @enzo2090 let's see some more entries here, guys! Also, we can always suit an extension in if necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.