• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can You Play the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Starcraft II looks awesome, sure.
And we're all waiting with bated breath for it to come out, right?

Well, can you run it on your computer? Don't know, huh?
Well, I have here a good estimate as to the requirements of the game. While Blizzard is (trying) to keep everything uptight, some sources have managed to piece together a few things.

So! I'll cut to chase.

Minimum Specifications*
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz OR Athlon XP 2500+
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 OR ATI Radeon 9700
Disk Space: ~7GB

Recommended Specifications*
Processor: Core 2 Duo OR Athlon X2
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics Card: Geforce 8600 GT OR Radeon HD 3850
Disk Space: (This probably won't change much.... :grin: ) ~7GB

*Estimated

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I didn't see any topics on the subject.

Source: StarCraft 2 System Requirements - StarCraft 2 The Unofficial Site!

Level 6
My computer meets the min except the processor.

I'll probably upgrade my computer just for Starcraft 2 though(I haven't had any reason to upgrade my computer until Starcraft 2).

Though I'd hate to have possibly replace my motherboard, I mean I don't know what it's maximum specs are for the RAM, and processor(I have the manual, I'll check it later when Starcraft 2 is nearing relaese).

I remember how hard it was just to unplug and plug the power cables on stuff when I installed a new power supply(especially, the floppy drive, it was like it was super glued on the drive. I had to use so much force remove the plug from the drive that I had to actually removed the floppy drive from the cast before succeeding. Inserting the power plug back in was just as much as a pain).

Besides the power plugs, the CPU, and the fan which are kind of tedious to install/remove, everything else won't be too bad.

Level 3
Yup. According to the specs, My computer can run 8 copies of it at once...
*cough* mostly because my job gave me a 3k USD gaming computer for and I quote "off site work related testing and development"... Apparently I am suppose to play UT3 non-stop then? lol *cough*

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Minimum Specifications*
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz OR Athlon XP 2500+
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 OR ATI Radeon 9700
Disk Space: ~7GB
Whoever thought of those obviously had no idea about computers.
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz struggled with age of empires 3 with raggdoll on which is sure as hell not going to be as demanding as SC2 will be with all its added physics and modern engine. I would put the minimum requirements for processor at a P4 3.0 with HT or faster if not even a dual core. Remember that some custom maps can be demanding and the minimum should be the minimum for it to be playable and not for it to run (at like 1 fps)

Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
This card is just a big no no, Nearly every modern game fails to run on it and SC2 will be no exception, especially concidering that card lacks even shaders 3.0. Also, although the 3D will be able to tune down a lot, they will still be quite demanding in huge battles so even if it does work it would hit like 17 or less FPS in actual game play on minimum. I would have to say a PCI-E card like a 6800 would be the minimum if not even a geforce 7 card for play at a decent level of quality and FPS.

1 GB of RAM is possiable on minimum however.

For recommended, it would obviously be 2.2 Ghz intel core 2 duo and nvidia 8800 with 3 GB ram (vista).

A 8600 GT being recommended makes no sense as it is barely stronger than a 7800.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The whole definition of minimum requirements and recommended is wrong. It is curently the spec for which the game is assured to be able to be run (minimum) and the spec for it to be able to run decently (recommended). However this is far from the actual truth, the minimum should be the minimum for the game to run well (all settings on minimum and constant frame rate which is highish) and the recommended being the specs needed to run the game well at medium or high.

As it is many modern games are almost unplayable if run on systems with the minimum requirements. Thus you should always use the recomended to judge weather your PC will run the game moderatly or else turn to third party benchmarks to see how well the game will run as the whole minimum and recommended thing tells you nothing about how playable the game will be for you.

Level 3
Can You RUN It?
Click Command and Conquer 3
If you can run CnC3 on high you can run SC2...If you can run it on low..you might be able to run sc2 with some lag...

I found out today they will have equal requirements.

Level 6
Got a pass on everything on recommended except one thing:
I didn't have Vista.

The irony..

I'd say things like DirectX10 features is more of a "just to have" rather than recommended(since recommended equals no-lag, while min is lag but you can still play the game). Though they haven't said exactly what they're going to add for DirectX 10 support.

Speaking of Vista, Windows 7 is coming out and from the sounds of it, it's "Vista but much much better".

Level 12
I have been waiting for 2 years for starcraft to come out. telling my self ill buy a computer as soon as we are within a few months of it. And intill they say when its comeing out. I can wait. I still mainly just play warcraft 3 and my computer runs that fine.

Level 2
The starcraft 2 dev team has stated that each in game model will have about the same polygon count as a player model in wow, though starcraft 2 will also have advanced video effects and a physics engine.
If you consider this, you might be able to gouge what system you will need to play starcraft 2 on high. think of a battleground in wow with shadows on while you look over a cliff. I don't think I will be able to run it but I'm not afraid, when warcraft 3 came out, and even starcraft itself, I could not run them with 60 fps, rather a very disgustingly low fps, but in time, I can get the gear I need. with that in mind, I hope that starcraft 2 has as long a legacy as both starcraft and warcraft 3 :) I believe that if people do not enjoy the game, map makers like us can most definitely keep the game alive, and I do so want that new map editor...

Level 8
Vista is the only operating system to support DX10. They made it an incentive to "upgrade"...

My PC has a 2.66GHz CPU that I overclocked to 3.0GHz, WiC runs slightly jerky on high settings and my graphically modded version of oblivion sometimes runs slow outside.

But I believe that's due to the small amount of memory on my GFX card, not the processor.

Level 22
Yes whoever said 2.4 GHz has no idea about computers or hasn't played Blizzard games enough. On the market PCs, laptops are 3.00 GHz at best. Does the claimer of that number think Blizzard would cr8 a game that requires 2.4 GHz processor or more so that only few people and I mean those with the latest good computers to play it?

My estimation for min/recommended:

• 1.5-1.7 GHz processor or higher
• Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista 32/64 bit - duh ofc Vista since now only Vista is sold with PCs
• 512 MB RAM minimum (recommended 1 GB or higher) memory - war3 which also has relatively many things runs on 128MB tested it myself on old junk laptop. While SC2 will req more memory, I doubt it will be more than 512 MB. I lol-ed at the claim 1 GB minimum.
• 5 GB of free space
• 128 MB video card minimum (or 256MB and more recommended). SC prolly ran on 8 MB video card and war3 can run on 16 MB video and recommended is 32 MB. SC2 will req much more than war3 but from 32 MB video (war3) to jump to anything wayy too high - other games maybe but not Blizzard.

Conclusion: the creator of those stats forgets that war3 is also a game with a lot of graphics and stuff that loads the memory and SC2 has twice as much, not 5 times more.

I'm not worried. I will upgrade my laptop in the future which for now has only 512 MB video, 3 GB DDR3, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz (which I doubt will be insufficient coz SC2 WON'T be 2.4 ghz req), 7200 rpm HDD with enough space. Let me remind you that a strategy game will require less than a MMORPG or my claim goes - the same as Wow expansion or slightly more.

Level 8
I'd be very surprised if SC2 has lower requirements than WoW, MMORPGs are designed to run on a huge range of computers to maximise cash flow.

The guy (sorry, can't be bothered to browse back to find who you are) who said 2.4GHz was talking about the requirements to play well.

SC2 is probably made to be very scalable, but some of us like our games prettier than others.

All these specs are inconclusive anyways, the speed of the RAM (latency), FSB and the processors on the video card are all key things to look at too.

A GeForce 7000 with 512mb memory is clearly inferior to a 8800 with 312mb memory, it's the number of processors and other variables that count.

Level 25
I'd be very surprised if SC2 has lower requirements than WoW, MMORPGs are designed to run on a huge range of computers to maximise cash flow.

And they don't want that with other games? ;)
Na but really I think cause of the whole korean playerbase and fans of the starcraft I who can't afford better computers. (Not meaning that Koreans are poor).

Level 34
Seems like most computers could handle this. A mid range card would probably run it on good settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.