1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

StarCraft II System Requirements

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by roguo, Jul 24, 2010.

1. roguo

roguo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Below are the requirements of StarCraft II as of 12/2017, as listed by Blizzard. Be aware that due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements may change over time.

Although 32bit Windows OSes are currently supported, this might not be the case forever as part of a wider 64bit migration.

Windows Requirements
    • Minimum System Requirements
      Operating System: Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10
      Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+
      Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7600 GT or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 2600 XT or Intel® HD Graphics 3000 or better
      Memory: 2 GB RAM
      Storage: 30 GB available HD space
      Internet: Broadband Internet connection
      Media: DVD-ROM drive (for retail partial install only)
      Resolution: 1024X768 minimum display resolution
    • Recommended System Requirements
      Operating System: Windows® 10 64-bit
      Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD FX Series Processor or better
      Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7790 or better
      Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Mac Requirements
    • Minimum System Requirements
      Operating System: OS X® 10.10 (Latest Version)
      Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
      Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4670 or better
      Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Recommended System Requirements
      Operating System: macOS® 10.12 (Latest Version)
      Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 or better
      Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M or AMD Radeon™ HD 6970 or better
      Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Old requirements for retail WoL from 2010
    PC Requirements
    • PC Minimum System Requirements

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
      2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor 128 MB PCIe
      NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
      12 GB available HD space1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
      DVD-ROM drive
      Broadband Internet connection
      1024X720 minimum display resolution

• PC Recommended System Requirements

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
      Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
      2 GB RAM
      512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better
      *Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.
    Mac Requirements
    • Mac Minimum System Requirements

Mac® OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
      Intel® Processor
      NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better
      12 GB available HD space
      2 GB Ram
      DVD-ROM drive
      Broadband Internet connection
      1024X720 minimum display resolution

• Mac Recommended System Requirements

Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
      4 GB system RAM
      NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT or ATI Radeon® HD 4670 or better

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Hiruty

Hiruty

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    >.> lol i got 512mb NVIDIA GeForce 310m CUDA enabled gpu, 4gb ram, 200gb hdd room but a crappy 2.2 dual core Pentuim Processor ( P4400 ) a newer model of pentuim but from a high spec cpu ive gone to mid ._.

3. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bah, 128mb, 512 ram, 1.1 ghz... Oh, and 60 gb hard disk space.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Why are you listting random specs people? Obviously the game can run with lower but the specs above are the minimum for the game to be classed as playable (above a certain FPS).

5. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Haha I have my Alienware with HD 3870. Funny how Blizzard never ever mentioned that one and now it's specially in the specs. I read the recommended ones.

So with my AW phase 1 I was playing with high grahpics and textures and it was running 100% smoothly. In the final phase I got lag using the same.. Im afraid those who were at certain settings during beta will have to step one level down, unless exceeding the specs very much :/

Proof

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think the graphics are easier to render so your GPU is loaded less now however your CPU gets loaded more. Most of you have the same problem, low clocked / slow processors and SC2 is a 2 thread monster of a game.

I am running an intel core I7 processor at 2.67 GHz so even if it is a lower clock than some core2duos or quads, it still performs better due to DDR3, tri channel memory and more cache. One person with lower perfomance was using a Pentium duo at 2.2 (which are slower than the same clocked core2duo), and the other person complaining has only a 1.1 GHz. Thus this supports my argument that your processes are bottleknecking the game and not your graphic cards.

7. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Im at Intel core 2 duo 2.26 GHz, so it is probably the reason for the lag during battles, the 3 GB DDR3 memory should be fine. Im gonna soon try it at Windows 7, replacing Vista. Im only not sure whether I should use x64 or x32 bit Windows 7, Home premium, pro or ultimate. Again, I had no lag at these settings in phase 1, i had em in phase 2.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. Hiruty

Hiruty

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wait i have 4gb of ddr3 so will that help with reducing lag?

becuase i can have many units on the screen ( 200 supply worth of stalkers ) with minimal lag reduction on meduim but a 10 - 15 lag reduction on high

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ok um... that makes no sense considering the core 2 duo range only supports the use of DDR2 memory (I3,I5 and I7 support DDR3).

Like I said, it is how fast your processor can work. Low framerate in SC2 is seldomly caused by the graphic card if you have any gamming card but most likly is caused by your CPU. DDR3 memory purly has improved memory axcess times over DDR2 and will help increase framerate slightly if that is the bottlekneck but not as much as upping the clock rate of the CPU or getting a better CPU.

Also, again, only more recent ATI and Intel processors support DDR3, your dual core does not.

The difference between medium and high is a lot. Thus it is to be expected that framerate will reduce drastically (I take it you incorrectly were using lag to mean framerate as lag is purly an internet connection thing). Such a major reduction points towards you have a very noticable bottlekneck (your processor). On medium it still is not hitting the bottlekneck fully but at high you suddenly hit it causing major performance drops due to some piece of hardware being unable to cope. It is prety obvious your machine is made to handle medium cause that is nearly loading it 100%, high is just too much for it.

On optimum settings the game should have 60 FPS most of the time with reductions only at stressed times (the last protoss mission for example which hammered my frame rate before I won). If you melee play heavilly you need greater than 30 FPS at all times inorder to play properly. If your computer can not handle a setting level you will have to reduce the graphics to make it perform, there is no excuse grumbling about bad performance at high when you have medium or low to choose.

As for the best visuals. Well as you should know it is far better to manually taylor settings than choose a preset level. Thus you can adjust settings getting the best graphics while making sure your performance is optimum. For example if your CPU is the bottlekneck you can up textures or other non CPU dependant graphic settings to still improve visual quality while keeping performance the same as you will utalize other areas of your hardware more fully towards their bottleknecks (your GPU in this case). However the geforce 310m is not a gaming card so do not expect mirricle graphics eithor way and medium sounds about right.

Also come to think of it, why do your have a pentium dual core and a brand new geforce 300m card... Surly you mean a Core2duo processor (major difference and pentium dual cores seriously sucked and were suceeded years ago by core2duo)?

10. Hiruty

Hiruty

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    uhmmmm hmmm my laptop was 800 bucks at march. My big bro has the updated k501n asus with a Dual core 2 @ 2.2ghz while i have the older cheaper k501E. I just looked at computer specs i have a Pentuim(R) Dual Core-CPU @2.20 ghz.

11. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz (3MB Cache 1066MHz FSB)

Taken from my specs info. So if I have 11GB free space and install SC2 it will be ok and I will still have available HDD space?

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That would be cutting it close. The lack of space will make defragmenting hard and also hammer system performance. I advise getting a new HDD, 2TB costs only 80£.

13. Voidwalker

Voidwalker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual Core 2.80GHz [each core], 1.5 GB RAM and an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 for GPU

Yeah, I'm fucked...

14. I-am-murloc

I-am-murloc

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have: 2x Radeon HD 5770 in crossfire, i7 cpu @ 3,33ghz and 6gb DDR3 memory.

When I play Sc2 maxed out at 1920x1080 res it runs fine most of the times, but as soon as there is water nearby I get a drastic framerate reduction and it gets very laggy. Is anyone else experiencing lag when playing maps with water in them?

I cant have water in any of my custom maps I make because then I have to reduce the settings to medium to make it lagfree, pretty annoying -.-

Also, Sc2 dosnt seem to have crossfire support yet so I am pretty much on one HD 5770 when playing it.

15. kernelmode

kernelmode

Resources:
    Resources:
    here is a little heads up:

The campaign has higher requirements.

For example I have a Macbook Pro 15" (the cheapest one, 2.4 i3 , 256 MB VRAM, 4 GB RAM), Starcraft 2 recommends Medium settings. On the campaign, it lags horribly, with medium. I need to set it to LOW settings. But on single player, I can even set it on ULTRA, if there won't be massive battles, but HIGH settings are guarantied to work.

EDIT: Maybe this is some how connected to OpenGL, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the detail of the campaign.
    I tried running it on my gaming windows laptop, but it hardly works on low settings...because the laptop WAS a gaming computer.... 5 years ago....

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This damn game keeps running my brothers 8800 GT too hot even on medium. I am considering under clocking it because he is only able to utalize like 1/3 or 1/9 of its power before it overheats with this game.

No the FPS cap does not help and no I just dusted it 2 days ago.

17. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I had hag during battles in 1v1 high grahpics&tex in final phase of beta, and i didnt have lag in first phase. those complaints here dont sound good. I may switch to medium, but I just wont play it on anything lower:

PC Recommended System Requirements:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
    Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor - Im 2.26GHz
    2 GB RAM - 3GB DDR3 far enough
    512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better - Im ATI HD3870
    So I exceed or match the recommended and it seems these recommended dont correspond well, cause i would be running smoothly at high grahpics (like i did in phase 1 of beta) if these were ok.

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    SC2 is very CPU demanding and even a reductin in clock of 1/24-1/12 will drasticlly affect performance. Keep in mind all the background stuff you are probably running which can lower that 2.2 to 2.1 or even 2 for the game.

19. Hiruty

Hiruty

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    how can i over clock a laptop processor ( will it get too hot ) yes my cpy ( eniter ) gets hot after 2-3 hrs.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You should not be playing brand new games on laptops. If you are you just have to axcept poor performance.