• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign Contest

What should the maximum contestants per team be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
This is a simple idea that would probably enjoyable for many. The campaigns should be about 2-4 missions long and be built well. Why not make a campaign for a rating? Grab a team and have some explosive responsive fun. Imports will not go over 2MB because we dont want people using stupid models for the sake of it. Possible Themes are to follow with my own + suggestions:

Warcraft 3.5=Using existing lore make a short campaign that uses WC lore
Steam-Punk=In the spirit of steam make a campaign that takes the path not taken
Future=What the world may look like in the future(any lore can be used but not very fun)

Duration: 2-3 months to give the people enough time.

Judging will be as follows

60% from reliable judges
40% from the masses

You will be judged on:
Story telling=10 Pts
Originality=15 Pts
Map design=20 Pts
Playability=15

You will be judged on the maps playability and originality using the given materials.

Rewards
60 Rep Crystals and Award Icon
30 Rep Crystals
15 Rep Crystals

Last edited:
Level 24
The only problem with a campaign contest would be I the amount of people that finish their entries, as a lot of people can't finish of a single map to enter into a normal mapping contest, so I don't know how many would be able to finish a campaign for a contest. The 2-4 mission limit would help, but it would still be a lot of work.

Level 9
I don't know what you're using but, making a campaign doesn't take that long on my World Editor. honestly it's not like the levels have to be sheep tag with hundreds of triggers. sure you have to make new abilities units and upgrades but not many. my point is it took me three days to make a map for a campaign I'm making, and it's pretty good. i say all we need is a deadline of about 6-8 weeks and people will be able to get it finished in time.

P.S. the reason the campaign is not finished is because i have no motivation to finish, no fast coming deadline.

Level 9
i guess, although I've never been through such problems before (although i don't make campaigns every day.) i suppose if you want a good cinematic yes, but since it's three maps, if you simply put a small introduction scene at the beginning of the first map, than i believe that would suffice for a small campaign. And about the stories i know that would be hard, since most people make a campaign for the story not a story for a campaign. Lucky for me i was just about to start a campaign when i saw this, no levels models nothing but the idea yet so maybe I'll try to get that in by the deadline. And for the sake of the other people i the compo I'll start something else if i see it's going too slow... or drop out.

Why force people to have an epilogue? Not like they are always needed. What if my character dies in the end of the final chapter and I don't really have anything to make the epilogue about, should I then just fill it with nonsense just to fulfill your stupid list of demands? And credits hardly need an entire cinematic, it could easily be done otherwise. Just demand that credits must be shown at some point throughout the campaign.

You need to adjust your rules so instead of feeling like restraints it feels like options.

All in all I find a campaign contest to be interesting and if I get a good idea I would most definetly enter with a small one.

Level 31
If you join any contest sponsor by a company, who is the 1 should follow the rules ? Of course is the participant itself...

A person that cannot accept the rules and guidelines provided by the sponsor, they can just don't participate over it.

And how hard it could be to make a epilogue and credit ?

Shall you want to win the contest, you would try your best to come out with the best campaign that meet all criteria.

If you join any contest sponsor by a company, who is the 1 should follow the rules ? Of course is the participant itself...

A person that cannot accept the rules and guidelines provided by the sponsor, they can just don't participate over it.

Shall you want to win the contest, you would try your best to come out with the best campaign that meet all criteria.

you're right but...
We're not a compagny we're a community! *snif*
And in any community opinion of members does count!
And wtf? you're no sponsor you didn't finance us to participate in a contest; i'm doing this in my freetime.

Level 24
Callahan, ragingspeedhorn, you are both correct in every way. 10 chapters, prologue and epilogue is WAY too much and might take >1 year, which is too much for a contest as people will join it and leave it all the time. Personally i'd say at most 3 chapters and if you want prologue/epilogue or both but neither are needed.

Level 31
You all still doesn't know the entire rules, contest duration and what would be imply on it yet, so please don't jump to conclusion until it have been announce.

Anyway Linaze, you misread the information of mine.

Min playable chapter - 3
Max playable chapter - 10

That's mean campaign are not allowed to have more than 10 playable chapter.

Level 31
lol.. seems like a lot of people misunderstood about the playable chapter.

What I mean here is.. the campaign must have at least 3 playable chapter.

But, if the campaign author want to have more playable chapter on his/her map. It is fine as long as it does not exceed more than 10.

What I mean by playable chapter is, a chapter that could be play by player. Not including cinematic such as prologue and epilogue.

Level 24
No Septimus, I do think I understand what you mean, and I agree that long, good campaigns are definately the best. Though, The Last Druid is a case of a short yet awesome campaign (imo), with only two chapters if I remember correctly. My point is the following: If you put a roof at 10 chapters, some people will aim for that, and most certainly fail. But if the roof is set at 3 chapters, more people will probably keep working on their campaign and we will see more finished products. Put it something like least 3 most 5 chapters, at the very most. Believe me, if you want some products, lower the max limit, people will fail.

Level 24
Smart people would aim for 3 playable chapter. Anyway, the 10 chapter is just a restriction.

Thus it would be.

Prologue - 1 map
Chapter 1 - 1 map
Chapter 2 - 1 map
Chapter 3 - 1 map
Epilogue - 1 map
Credit - 1 map

Total = 6
Well, you should be allowed to leave out the pro/epilogue since some campaigns don't need em, like Hawkwing I think mentioned quite some time earlier, and credits you can have in the post when you submit it, so yeah three maps it is.

Level 9
look 10 maps would take me roughly 1-2 1/2 months (if i had a story/concept) so if i had to put in credits prolugue and epilogue it would take roughly 2 3/4 months plus about 1/2-1 month for ideas ect. than that is about 4-5 months for everyone it's not some huge thing if you work at it even if you be lazy (like me and most other people tend to be with wc3) so if you work at it than you will have time for joining and leaving people, and i think4-5 months is actually more than i should say, and thats even with a ten level campaign so three would take roughly 2-3 1/2 months, so chill out!. my point is: it's not that hard. and as my brother says (hes a writer) 'If one man can do something, than so can another man, and so can you.'

and look if you need a story/concept I'll just say a bunch in the actual contest forum and you all can use if you want (and rules allow).

If you are going to actually "sponsor" this by giving out cash to the participants who finish their work then you are allowed to come with all the weird restrictions and demands that you want, but if not, then you need to chill and keep things more relaxed and open for people. You are not my boss, you are the judge of a contest for the communitys enjoyment.

This is not a payed job but a thing we do in our own free time for fun. So if you force retarded rules upon the participants that sort of takes out all the fun, doesn't it? And yes I could just not enter, but if you run things this way and with such an attitude towards your fellow users then you won't end up with very many entries.

I am not saying this to be hostile towards you or anything, I am just pointing out what I find to be flaws in the proposed rules. The fact that you are preparing this contest is great, so keep up the good work, but instead of taking what people suggest as attacks on your persona, try to take it as suggestions for improvement.

Level 24
I would like to repeat the above post by saying I neither ever wished to seem hostile in any way against you, Septimus. Like ragingspeedhorn mentioned above, it does kind of take away the fun from something when you are not allowed be neither unique nor creative, I believe you will see more good products if you give the authors more freedom and possibility to work with what they feel inclined to, now what they are forced to.

Level 31
Even if this does get hosted it might not go through. People will lose interest at some point. But what do we have to lose by hosting it? Nothing. If we host it and people lose interest then we'll close it and archive it. And that will be that.

Agree...

And if the person really want to win a contest, he would try his best to come out with a very good concept that meet all criteria.

In addition, nobody forcing you to create a prologue/epilogue that long. 3 minutes for prologue and epilogue = 6 minutes might be enough as long as it already explain everything.

As for credit, it could even took you a 1-2 days to get it done. I would show a sample of credit once the contest approve.

Last edited:
Level 9
honestly people, there is no outragious condition, no overly strict rule so stop acting like it. all that is required is
Prologue - 1 map
Chapter 1 - 1 map
Chapter 2 - 1 map
Chapter 3 - 1 map
Epilogue - 1 map
Credit - 1 map
thats it. nothing thats too much to ask from anyone, and as hawkwing said
Hawkwing said:
Even if this does get hosted it might not go through. People will lose interest at some point. But what do we have to lose by hosting it? Nothing. If we host it and people lose interest then we'll close it and archive it. And that will be that.

Level 24
honestly people, there is no outragious condition, no overly strict rule so stop acting like it. all that is required is
Prologue - 1 map
Chapter 1 - 1 map
Chapter 2 - 1 map
Chapter 3 - 1 map
Epilogue - 1 map
Credit - 1 map
thats it. nothing thats too much to ask from anyone, and as hawkwing said
Well, 6 maps is more than you can first think if you keep extremely high quality, nonetheless I don't care if people are allowed to add 25 chapters, that'd be up to them, but forcing people to add pro/epilogue is wrong, as not all campaigns has a use for them and it dosen't fit into all campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.