• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

THW campaign collaboration

Campaign theme

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
I had this idea lately, why don't we organise a collaboration between all the willing site members and create one huge-campaign.

One map from each contestant. One map - one story arc, no need to agree upon a single theme or idea.

The only positive restriction i can imagine is making it all 100% lore-friendly. It can work out as a single theme of a campaign - just a bunch of stories with different gameplay mechanics from various authors\groups. Imagine greatest THW mappers contributing with their fine RPGs and RTSs to this big project and showing us their take stories of cult blizzard characters.

Also this is a nice way for people to dump the ideas\material they planned on finishing as a part of big campaign but never got to. Really, take a look at the forum, this is a usual story among wc3 modding community members.

Also, i don't think that making it a contest in a traditional way is a good idea. Winners are not needed. This is more of a collaboration than a contest. As a result we can get a fine, truly community made campaign.

Once again:
I'm NOT suggesting to make a campaign with a single storyline. Let's make a bunch of non-connected lore friendly maps and call it a story-collection campaign.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Level 15
Considering this is what happens when you get random people to all draw a simple gif image by image; I can imagine this going wonderfully.
SBN05r2.gif

Level 34
Considering this is what happens when you get random people to all draw a simple gif image by image; I can imagine this going wonderfully.

Haha, that's fun.

Well, it's not that we draw a gif frame by frame but rather make a bunch of gifs united under lore restrictions and a single campaign file.

That's why i suggested this rule, not that limiting one's creativity is a good thing to do, but ending up with a ton of sc2\anime\parody maps is even worse. But keep in mind, one could still make an RPG or tower-defence game, if it feels right lore-wise. I think we might need one or two moderators for this collaboration. I can volunteer, but we will still need a lore-guy and a code-dude (maybe also a level-designer-bro or whatever)

Good idea, I would certainly be up for it. However, I have no idea how to do the triggers necessary to link a map into a campaign.

This is a minor obstacle, if you are really up for it:)

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

i've been thinking. how about making a campaign about hive? like hive story maybe?

Level 25
I think this is a really cool concept that could be really fun to make a map for.
However there a few rules that has to be setup:

Campaign specific object settings
There should a campaign file that is uploaded to the thread, with someone responsible for it, so all the units and heroes and items that should be shared between the maps are made in the CAMPAIGN OBJECT EDITOR. This is so people can create their own local units in the object editor for their own map, but will still have the heroes and units from the campaign. This way we can also update the heroes and the units in the campaign object editor without overwriting local units that has been made in the object editor.

So, someone is responsible for the campaign object editor, nobody else touches it or their changes will be overwritten. (You're still allowed to use the object editor for your own map).

Campaign imported files
Same goes for imports for heroes and units that are shared between the maps, they should be made in the campaign editor, local files for a specific map goes to the map's import manager.
This way we can multiple people work on their own maps at the same time, instead of locking the whole campaign editing while waiting for someone to finish their own map.

Specific Hero levels for each map
I'm assuming the game is going to be using heroes, then each person needs to have a "the heroes are going to be at this level on your map with a max level", so they can balance their enemies against that, so that nobody focuses on a map with level 1 heroes only to get level 60 heroes from the previous map.

A story and a somewhat general theme
Because it makes sense for the campaign to have a story, say the great adventure on how Hiveworkshop was taken over by evil chinese spambots and the heroes have to fight for the rescue of the site by traveling back in time and riding T-Rexes and fighting pandaren monks using spaceships and gigantic las0rs while at the same time playing chess and using complicated jass functions just because people wanted to show of their mad jass skills and I'm using GUI just because I felt like it.

If we can't follow these simple rules, the project is doomed to fail before it begins :)

Level 28
Totally agree @LordDz about the rules, but whos gonna take charge (responsibility) on the Campaign object editor? We need a team leader for this contest

Edit :
say the great adventure on how Hiveworkshop was taken over by evil chinese spambots and the heroes have to fight for the rescue of the site by traveling back in time and riding T-Rexes and fighting pandaren

Really?

Level 34
I don't like the idea of sticking to one story and making it a parody about THW's history. This will make the campaign enjoyable only inside the community and the time for site-themed maps is long-gone.

However if you guys love this theme, it's still cool. Some collaboration is better then complete lack of it:) But i think i myself won't participate in it in any way.

And even further - organizing object editor is somewhat impossible task. But if people are making a set of different maps this won't be a problem.

I'l put a voting poll later.

Last edited:
Level 25
The theme wasn't serious at all, it was just something I wrote just for the hell of it.

However, I'd still want to have some similarity with the units and heroes in the campaign, otherwise you could just download a couple of maps from the map section here and call it a campaign.
I'll do some tests with the object editor settings this weekend to see how they can be best be shared and so on.

Level 34
However, I'd still want to have some similarity with the units and heroes in the campaign, otherwise you could just download a couple of maps from the map section here and call it a campaign.
I'll do some tests with the object editor settings this weekend to see how they can be best be shared and so on.

Good point. Also, it's nice to see response. I'l be waiting for the results.

In the meantime the polls are up. Cast your votes.

Level 25
Nice :)
Can I add a third option to the poll: "A story that progresses over several map, we choose which story and characters it should be about",

so it's option two but not about The hiveworkshop.

Level 28
I believe only admin can change the poll :( but I'm still don't understand the HiveWorkshop Option ^^
This idea come up to my head as well, but not for a campaign, I was thinking about a generic cinematic using for example some users names for unit, like a new story...
But I'm not sure some hivers will approve this idea anyway (Using their custom username)

Level 34
Good news everyone!

LordDz said:
Hoya!
I did some tests with the campaign editor, and it's fully possible to take a map from 1 campaign, and put it into an updated version of that campaign.
That way everyone could get the latest updates to unit settings while allowing people to have locally created units in the object editor.

Say this ships off, we could have it so that every weekend everyone uploads their newest version of the map and we could add it to the primary campaign, and then upload it so everyone can see progress and keep track of things.

Here's a small map I did for the campaign, to work as a "template map" for everyone, so they'll get some basic stuff.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/vazjex/_files/Hiveworkshop_Campaign_v0.w3n
//Dz over and out!

Roland

R

Roland

SBN05r2.gif

God, Viewing it frame by frame with the windows photo gallery is just hilarious.. Anyway, I'm interested to join in this collaboration.

Level 34
I think it will end up having mixed up plot.

Should have read the first post in the thread more carefully.

We are not going for a campaign with a single plot, but more of a bunch of lore-driven maps about different parts of wc3-wow history // custom characters that don't o against the lore.

Ok, hence we already have two contestants, the next logical step will be alerting the most influential\active mapmakers on THW.

Is anyone willing to help out? I myself don't have this much of an extended knowledge of THW community.

Level 34
And I can help with the story

Good for you.

If someone wants you on the team to develop their piece of map for a campaign, they can accept you as their story-maker or whatever. I think I have to say this once again, just in case:

I'm NOT suggesting to make a campaign with a single storyline. Let's make a bunch of non-connected lore friendly maps and call it a story-collection campaign.

Now that we've settled this, let's spare the topic of talks of how someone will do something non-related and leave all those discussions for PM.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's been long enough to Bump this, so here's a thought:

I know the concept wasn't to have one big interconnected storyline... But I couldn't help myself. I thought "how cool, if it were connected somehow... but how?" So here's the thought. It's all set in Warcraft, right? But people will be making maps from all over the place, for any race, any continent, any time, any setting or confrontation, even...

So perhaps it:
  • Starts off with a Blue Dragon Whelp being taught about the world & the time-stream, and as part of his training his master-dragon has to send him back through the Caverns of Time (& Space?), where he assumes the form of various creatures in various settings, doing whatever.
  • Starts off with a random Human/Elven archmage who is trying to unlock the secret of inter-dimensional portals & whatnot, and gets sucked into a series of portals which throws him all over time & space in Azeroth.
  • Starts off with a Orcish shaman-in-training, who has to go out into the wilderness & fight a bear & then smoke some plants that send him on a Vision Quest (where he does the same stuff as the above, blah blah) to become a Real Shaman

Aw yeah.

Even though I'd rather we didn't have to stick to canon, and I'd wager this is an opportunity to have a rather fun alternate timeline campaign a la Heaven's Fall (just as an example), I understand if people want to stay within established lore for structure. Imo a continuous story line would be more fun, which means we'd need a few people at the least coming together to establish a general story, and each map-maker should talk to these specific people about the story in their own maps. These 'Story Custodians' (honorifics, yay!) will be the only ones aware of the overarching plot and will be able to advise mapmakers of what plot can work or not.

This can take a while to get things going, ofc, but, well, we're talking about a campaign here. Half measures are not gonna cut it.

PS, there should also be a few systems that mapmakers will have to import inside their map as well. What if your heroes have triggered abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.