• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alternative Ending Contest? (Solo mapping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
New here, so not sure if this has been done.
Anyway, my idea is that you recreate one of the final campaign scenarios from Warcraft III: (Reign of Chaos or Frozen Throne).
Basically, you would have to make a map that could replace any of the finals, with whatever story and game-play you want.
For example (and a really bad one at that) you could make the fight for the Frozen Throne a King of the Hill, or an AoS, or even a melee with alternative win conditions?

I think this will be a good idea because it will allow people to be creative with story and gameplay, with giving them a good template to work with.

Judge the contest out of:
Story: How realistic is the alternative ending? Is it true to Warcraft lore? Is it interesting and unpredictable?
Gameplay: Does the map give a good sense of desperate struggle that the others do? Is it fun and original?
Presentation: Cinematics? Terrain? Eye-candy?
Balance: Is it challenging? (big one in my opinion.)

Let me know what you think?

Level 5
Sounds like it'd be fun to me, although I'm not a professional on this stuff, so I probably wouldn't know as much. Still though, sounds fun.

Level 18
It wouldn't be an alternative ending contest, it would be a mapping contest with theme 'Alternative ending'. I personally think it would be fit for a theme, because it allows creativity within limits. However, mapping contests usually aren't the home of people who finish their entries.

Either way: If there's a thread created to ask for idea's for mapping contest themes, you can put this idea up. It might be popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.