• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Contest suggestion with a Special Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
There has not been a good solo mapping contest for a while, and also it might come in handy in the situation , but as well in Yours, dear mappers.

I am looking to start a contest because of one important thing:

I've recently grabbed my escrot's certificate of design and artistic style tutor from a company course. Now, to the finals I can do a few things, from which one is to take up a student and tutor him/her for 1 month, then provide resources of previous work and works after the 1 month of education period to my finals application, along with my opinion on the development of the "student".

I'm an experienced designer and work as an art director currently, and am as well quite versed in the tools of warcraft 3.

Another possible bonus would be my recommendation to a school/studio that you might want to attend in the future as a level designer.

The contest won't be simple but not too hard either. My main goal is to find dedicated people with at least average skills and a knack for interesting designs. It's not all about who does the best triggers. Actually, the level design and the ideas will take a bit role in this case, not just the triggers.

The map, since it's a mapping contest ,will need to be playable. But you can go as wild as you wish with the level (as long as it's playable of course).

The theme would be related to 3 facts:
- Traps
- Interior
- Riddles

Map length is to be decided yet. Most likely around 30-60 minutes of playtime. Trust me. If you know how to design an area, and do an interesting combination of tasks to complete in there, you can achieve 30 minutes with just a few rooms. I don't want to restrict the time since it really depends how people figure out the riddles/traps/puzzles along your level.

You can do anything you think that would fit this. Let it be some ancient ruins, a hideout of some bandits, an old wizards tower, a dungeon, etc etc. Imagine a hero venturing into a dungeon full of traps and secrets and has to work his way through. It does not have to be linear. It can be semi open as well. Returning points, teleporters, text riddles, spiky traps, conspiring elements? All, or any! This is what I want to see.

Be creative. The ideas and the immersion are key factors.

If possible, I would like to take part as one of the judges in this competition as well.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
Level 6
As we discussed in the chat, I think this could be a great opportunity for anyone on the forums here looking to break into the industry. Syleona has real industry experience, and I think whoever wins could stand to learn a lot.

All that aside, I like the theme idea and I believe it has some real potential for us to see some clever mapping. I am curious about what kind of competition timeline you have in mind? One month? Two? With the silly season upon us, a lot of people will be pretty busy with the real world for at least the next couple of weeks.

Solid competition idea and a great reward for the winner.

Level 7
Map length is to be decided yet. Most likely around 30-60 minutes of playtime. Trust me. If you know how to design an area, and do an interesting combination of tasks to complete in there, you can achieve 30 minutes with just a few rooms. I don't want to restrict the time since it really depends how people figure out the riddles/traps/puzzles along your level.

Level 18
Interesting idea!
I vote for approval. :]

Now if this continues I hope I got the time to participate.
Not like the concept contest that I can't do anything for because I'm currently busy with school. ^^;

Level 17
I am 100% behind this. A brilliant concept for a competition that offers a rare opportunity for some lucky guy or gal. I vote for approval.

Level 7
30-60 is more like a minimum. :p I did not entirely think of a max. But there should be. Will have to think around it more. hehe :)

Thanks for the support :)

Level 24
Having a prize that has material value should really draw people in. Furthermore, I do love a good puzzle game. Even if I don't enter (which I almost certainly will), I still support this idea.

The idea is sound, and I'm definitely in-favour of it. Also, 30-60 is not a minium. A minium would be one number. I'd say that 30-120 minutes is a good range.

1up%20-%20zoom.jpg
(u got my vote)

Level 7
Using systems is allowed, as long as you credit the user.

Also, the map HAS to be Single Player actually. Which is why it will be a challenge. To make it interesting even if it's for 1 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.