• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Idea for NEXT campaign contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I had an interesting idea for the next campaign contest (after this current one that's on is over, if it ever is). This is how it goes, contestants must create the campaign of a sequel to a Blizzard game. That is to say, they would make their own version of Starcraft II (yes I know that one's in the works), Diablo III (I know that one's in the works, too), or Warcraft IV (not in the works? what the heck?!). The contestants would try to make the most fun campaign with the most innovative gameplay features, most challenging gameplay, and best storyline. What do you think?

Level 12
The two replies I have received so far have been negative and based on the performance of the last contest, of which there was only one. Please explain your disapproval of the current contest. Also, if you could tell me what you think of the actual core idea--a sequel contest--I would greatly appreciate that.

Level 24
The idea does in fact sound somewhat neat, however making a sequel campaign to Starcraft would probably fail due to lack of resources, and making one for warcraft is also obviously fail since it takes far more than one campaign to follow the warcraft storyline. Diablo is the only one doable imo.

Level 3
The problem with the actual contest was the time they gave to finish the campaign, only 3 months is very short :thumbs_down:
---
The idea is good but if i make a campaign i dont want to follow blizzard's games storys

Level 12
@Linaze: Thanks for the comments! This is what I think. For starcraft, you're probably right, I just stuck that in to be fair to Starcraft itself. For Warcraft, I don't really think you'd have to make it multiple campaigns, take for example this campaign which I consider a sequel, Rise of the Lich King - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
It doesn't have any real changes in gameplay but it has a good storyline, and incorporates gameplay for quite a few races, or at least, that's what I recall. As for Diablo, I agree with you on everything but your statement that it would be the ONLY possible one.

@Gamat: Yeah, I was thinking this would be much longer.

@Everybody: Okay, I'm officially changing this from an idea for a Campaign contest, since everyone thinks that was a complete fail, to an idea for a SEQUEL contest. This gets rid of the bias against Campaign contests, and frees up the contest itself a bit. So if you're thinking of posting in here, know that it's now an idea for a SEQUEL contest.

Level 8
I must agree, the campaign contest was a failure. Not even Callahan submitted, and I was sure he was going to finish.
Also, I think this idea is not appropriate, it's just very wide, and honestly, I got sick of the whole wc4 idea. If there was a next competition I think the theme should be more on the lines of neutral races. A campaign about forest trolls, nerubians, goblins, ect.

HyperActive said:
Not even Callahan submitted, and I was sure he was going to finish.

Well we have till March to submit entry.
I should have done something till then.
It's because I had a bad start with laptop user probleme so I had to remake triggers wich discouraged me.
But now it's ok it's even better since the new template is much more optimized and allow me to work faster, I don't have to create dummy items.

Level 12
I got sick of the whole wc4 idea. If there was a next competition I think the theme should be more on the lines of neutral races. A campaign about forest trolls, nerubians, goblins, ect.

I don't think Wc4 necessarily has to be about the normal Warcraft races. It could completely center around the neutral races. Example: The Lich King gets his hands on something and annihilates everyone with it except the neutral races and they must defeat him. Also, I think that just because the last one was a failure, it doesn't mean the next (if there ever is one, which there probably won't be) will be. If we learn from the mistakes of this current one, the next one could be better. I don't care if anyone likes this idea. I just thought I'd put it up. Infact, if this got turned into a contest, (which it almost certainly will not) it would actually somewhat damage my Hive career, because half of my current projects have this theme, sequels to Blizzard games. If the Hive got of flood of these types of campaigns, mine would seem like just a couple of additions to the flood those created by other users.

Level 8
The main problem with this competition being a struggle as it is, is that many competitors entered solo (including myself). Nobody has really taken advantage and made a team as the rules state. If I make another campaign I will probably not make it alone, as it is just too much work.
I'll finish my submission for this campaign competition, cause I'm very much determined to use the extension that we have been given.

Level 12
It might be harder and easier if you work togheter. For example, you may be awesome at terrain but know nothing about triggers. But alone you don't have to share all the ideas if you want to implent them, you don't have to say all the changes you've made etc.

So working in teams have it's advantages and disadvantages. Communication is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.