• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest Idea: Campaign Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Here's my idea for a contest.

Campaign Contest

Contestant's will have 1 month (30 days) to complete a 2-3 map campaign.

How to join:

Post below with your map name, and a brief storyline.

Rules:

1.) File size cannot exceed 25mb.
2.) Maps must be created by one (1) person only, this means you cannot get anyone to help with terraining, triggering, or anything else.
3.) Used resources must be credited somewhere in your map.
4.) Campaign's must take a minimum of 1 hour to play through. (This does not include cinematic's.)

~Just some basic rules that I thought up~

Judging:

Judging will be done by 2 Moderators (that would like to judge ofc).

Factors to be judged:
• Originality
• Game play (is it fun?/ does it add anything new?)
• Environment (How well the environment interprets and accompanies the storyline?)
• Use of imported resources (were they used to their full extent, have they been tweaked to perfection?)

Rewards:

1st place = 40 rep:thumbs_up:
2nd place = 20 rep:smile:
3rd place =10 rep:wink:

Theme:

The theme will be decided in a poll if and when this contest idea is accepted.

(Just a suggestion for a contest, not a real contest)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, very interesting.
Some things:

1) 12 MB for a campaign is a low file. 25 MB I'd say. 2-3 maps will require greater space for imports.
2)
Yayoi said:
The contest will be judged by five (5) non-moderator's & any moderator's that would like to judge.
No; nobody will agree with that. There is a reason why the judges are almost always moderators. Finding members who are qualified for such a contest is too hard.

3) You didn't mention any theme. It is too wide now. For example, should we start off our own campaign or continue pre-existing campaigns?

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

First of all, very interesting.
Some things:

1) 12 MB for a campaign is a low file. 25 MB I'd say. 2-3 maps will require greater space for imports.
2)

No; nobody will agree with that. There is a reason why the judges are almost always moderators. Finding members who are qualified for such a contest is too hard.

3) You didn't mention any theme. It is too wide now. For example, should we start off our own campaign or continue pre-existing campaigns?

1& 2 I will change in a mintue. As for #3 I figured it could be decided after the contest has been accepted, like have a poll then officially start it up.

Oh, ok, then I will drop some ideas:

1) Although this has become so damn overused and boring, I will however suggest it, due to the heat of the matter. Starcraft II or anything futuristic.

2) Continuing the default Warcraft III's campaigns with the events the World of Warcraft lore suggests or events of our own imagination.

Something more, before this one generates anxiety: Triggering will meet no limits; the contestants will be able to import any type of code, as long as the author is credited. I see no reason why anything cannot be tolerated.

Factors to be judged:
• Originality
• Gameplay (is it fun?/ does it add anything new?)
• Environment (How well the environment interpretes and accompanies the storyline?)

My choice for the previously mentioned ideas: #2, continuing default campaigns with or without the World of Warcraft's lore.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I like the 2nd sug the best & the judging factors seem good. I'm gonna do another update to add factors to judge on a bit later.

One more thing: Reduce the judges' count to 2. Since this one is very similar conceptually to Solo Mapping Contest and it was rather difficult to find judges other than the originally appointed one, Syleona, I don't think it will be that easy to get some. The one that could probably judge this is 67chrome, but he said he wouldn't judge another contest.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

There was a campaign contest on Hive before, but it was closed because there were no finished submissions and it just lasted too long. So, I don't think there will be campaign contests anymore.
Did the old contest require 3+ maps? (If so that's probably why it was never finished... lol)...
Anyway who knows maby we could just have a mini-campaign contest 2 maps or something. It wouldn't be that hard to make a small storyline, a cinematic or two, and some objectives.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

What type of campaigns? RPG or RTS? How can you exactly measure the time needed for campaign to end? And just a month?

It would be whatever type you want as long as it's related to the picked theme. I don't understand the second question. Yep, a month is long enough to make a 2-3 map campaign with decent quality (or at least it should be.)

Level 21
Role playing type with single hero (RPG) or Strategy with units and bases like Blizzard campaigns?

Solo mapping contests last 2 months and they are just one map. The last campaign contest lasted for 13 weeks (from October to March) and it to had 3 map limit. Campaigns are time consuming.

All because users are 2 lazy or map that they need to create is 2 complicated!
I like this idea, why not to create simple campaign with few maps, add some fun, pick nice models and make it simple!

For example all need to create campaign about some warrior that is on quest to find and slay death dragon (sry Pyritie :D)
Each map should have 1 main and at least 2 optional quests
No size, time limit etc

Small campaign can be done in one week if your work 1 hour per day (well at least users that know WE well)

I don't know I just want to create map or few of them for competition I am bored with 2 many icon, model etc etc contest :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.