• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blades 'n Gore II v0.99h

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
[TD]
124756-albums5391-picture65030.png
[/TD][TD]
[TD]
[TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]

Kitabatake Presents:
BnG_BnG.png

A fast-paced sword fighting game for 1-12 players
[/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD]
[/TD] [TD]

Map Summary

Features

[TD]

A sequel to the original, Blades 'n Gore II leaves it's predecessor in the dust by improving all the strengths,
removing all the weak parts and by introducing new features that add new dimensions to the gameplay.

BnG II is a fast paced sword fighting game that is fast to learn and hard to master.
It supports a variety of game modes & team configurations and more features are added with future updates.

The map supports
1-12 players.
Currently available game modes:
  • Boss Mode
    • Recommended for: 1-4 players
    • Players are all in the same team
    • You must cooperatively survive through all stages by defeating the AI enemies.
    • The final level is a boss battle
    [*]
    Battle Zone
    • Recommended for: 6-12 players
    • Players are evenly divided into 2 teams
    • The team to reach the score limit set by the host wins
    • The game area has 5 control points
      • The team that controls the majority of these points gains points periodically
      • Killing enemy players also give points
    • This game mode fully supports leveling up and buying new equipment
    [*]
    Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch
    • Recommended for: 2-12 players
    • Supports a variety of team configurations
    • The team (player in FFA) to reach kill limit set by the host wins
    • Supports InstaKill setting
      • All players spawn with a sword that kills with one hit.
      • Make good use of defend and evasive movements!
    [*]
    Duel Arena
    • Recommended for: 2-5 players
    • The player to reach kill limit set by the host wins
    • 2 players are chosen to duel against each other
    • The winner gets the kill and the loser is replaced with a random other player
    • The randomization only picks people that have played the least amount of duels so far
    • Supports InstaKill setting

[/TD]
[TD]
Smooth and versatile Combat systems
  • The smoothest melee combat system seen on Warcraft III
  • Fast to learn & hard to master
  • More details further down!
Team systems
  • The host is presented with all possible balanced and almost balanced team configurations
  • In the case of unbalanced team configuration, host will always be the one with less teammates
  • Players are always divided to the teams in order starting from the top of game lobby
  • The system works for any amount of players
Example: 5 players in game will give the following options
  • FFA (1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1)
  • 2 Teams (2 vs 3) [Unbalanced]
  • 3 Teams (1 vs 2 vs 2) [Unbalanced]
  • 4 Teams (1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 2) [Unbalanced]

Example: 6 players in game will give the following options
  • FFA (1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1)
  • 2 Teams (3 vs 3) [Balanced]
  • 3 Teams (2 vs 2 vs 2) [Balanced]
  • 4 Teams (1 vs 1 vs 2 vs 2) [Unbalanced]
  • 5 Teams (1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 2) [Unbalanced]
Immersive environment
  • Carefully picked sounds and soundscape
    • Most other maps have completely ignored the importance of sound effects
    • Blades 'n Gore II features:
      • Environmental sounds at appropriate places
      • Combat sound effects
      • Miscellaneous system sound effects on various occasions
  • Detailed and varying terrain
    • The terrain is improved by many doodad models exclusively made for this map
    • Custom trees, flower patches, structures and various other environmental doodads
  • Loads of custom models
Save/Load Systems
  • You can save your rank & score and continue from where you left on the next game
  • Note that your code is case-sensitive AND bound to your username
  • Also note that playing single player will not earn you score
Advanced damage modeling
  • Being kicked or interrupted during a strike can throw you off balance and cause you to stumble
  • Getting critically low on health will make you limp and bleed, reducing your movement speed
  • Beautiful gore effects upon death
    • Bloody limbs and body parts fly in arcs through the air leaving momentary blood trails behind
  • Arrows and throwing weapons stick to their targets
    • A feature you may have seen in games like Oblivion or Mount&Blade
  • You can disembowel enemies by slashing them while they are stumbling!
  • You can impale enemies by lunging through them while they are stumbling!
AI enemies
  • They are capable of kicking you, throwing stuff at you, using power slam, shooting at you...
  • Some of them will also limp when their health is low enough
  • Only present in the Boss Mode for now
Bots
  • Blades 'n Gore II supports AI controlled bot players.
  • During setting selection the host can select a bot threshold, which is basically a player count number.
    • If the actual player count is less than the selected number, bots will fill the missing slots.
  • Also, if a player leaves the game and bot threshold has been set, a bot will take over the leaving player to keep the player count in the defined amount.
  • The bots are currently available for deathmatch, team deathmatch, and boss mode.
Character Customization
  • Players can customize their character's gender, face and hairstyle
  • You can earn customization unlocks by reaching the required ranks!

[/TD]

[/TD] [TD]

[TD] Forum [/TD]

[ Blades 'n Gore II Forum ]

[/TD] [TD]
[TD] Gameplay in more detail [/TD]

The systems are complex and there are many nuances and subtleties that will easily go unnoticed at first.
However, you will only have to play the game for 5 minutes to grasp the concept and to understand the basics.
Defend [Q] - Protects you from incoming damage. You must be facing the damage source to block the damage.

[tr][td]
Lunge [W] [/td][td] - A long range strike.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Slash [E] [/td][td] - A wide area strike.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Drink [R] [/td][td] - Heals you gradually. However, you are vulnerable to attacks while drinking.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Sprint [A] [/td][td] - Temporary speed bonus suited for fast long range travelling.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Power Slam [/td][td] - Deals tremendous damage, even pushing half of it through defend. Slow to cast though.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Kick [D][/td][td] - Completely ignores defend and sends the target stumbling backwards.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Tumble [F][/td][td] - A quick evasive move. Can also be used to boost other abilities with extra movement.[/td][/tr]

[TD]
124756-albums5391-picture56141.png
Defend, Lunge, Slash, Drink
Sprint, Power Slam, Kick, Tumble
[/TD]

The trick to winning the battles lies in knowing how to conserve and use your stamina

Note: Depending on the game mode and settings, you may be able to level up your abilities!

[/TD][tr][TD][/TD][/tr][TD]

Gameplay Video Footage

Screenshots

[TD]
Thanks to xorkatoss for recording and uploading!
Map version
0.96m was played in the video
Be sure to watch in
full screen and in 1080p HD!

Recorded by xorkatoss (map version 0.93m)
Recorded by xorkatoss (map version 0.93m)
Recorded by xorkatoss (map version 0.93f)
Recorded by ironymon1 (map version 0.57c)

[/TD]
[TD]

124756-albums5386-picture55359.jpg

Tropical Island
The default game area for deathmatch and team deathmatch

124756-albums5386-picture56981.jpg

Boss Mode
An eager beta tester (xorkatoss) has managed to catch a kunai, 2 shurikens and an arrow with his body.
Gotta catch 'em all but try not to bleed to death!

124756-albums5386-picture55411.jpg

In-Game
Screenshot of actual gameplay with small number of players.

[/TD]

Credits

Notes

[TD]
Imported models, interface, icons, etc... - Kitabatake Notable Contributors:
  • Sheep100
Notable Beta Testers:
  • ironymon1
  • xorkatoss
  • Playcanon
  • masterrub10
  • The_Optimizer
Interested in testing? Contact Kitabatake on Garena or Hive.
The games are mostly played through Garena.

[/TD]
[TD]

The map is currently in beta, which means that bugs will be fixed and more features added in later versions.
The map is also kept protected during beta-stage development.

Found a bug?
Got an idea to suggest?
Interested in helping out with the map?
Interested in testing?

--> Let me know!

[/TD]

[TD] Want to play the map online? [/TD]

Join the Garena group

1. Start garena plus
    2. Press
      124756-albums5391-picture56662.png
      and select Join Group
    3. type in 31617 and press Next

• You must have Garena Plus installed to be able to join groups.
    • The old Garena client does not support groups.
  • If you have problems joining, contact Kitabatake via garena.
  • The map is often hosted in one of the EU RPG rooms.
    • The room is announced in the group when the map is hosted.

Note: When you join the group, say something in the chat!
[TD]
  • If you say nothing, you will show up inactive in member list
    • Inactive members are removed whenever group gets full.
  • You might want to say something at least once every month.
  • A single "hi" is enough, your activity status is then updated to current day.
[/TD]

NOTE: If you find yourself kicked from the group, it doesn't mean you've "done something wrong".
It just means that there has been no space for new members and a couple of the most inactive members have been removed to make space for them.
Feel free to rejoin the group at any time!

[TD] Version changes [/TD]

[/TD][tr][TD][/TD][/tr]
[/TD]

Keywords:
Blades 'n Gore, II, fast, paced, sword, fighting, team, deathmatch
Contents

Blades 'n Gore II v0.99h (Map)

Reviews
Date: 14:09:12 31-Jan-12 Map Moderator: -Kobas- Map Status: Approved 5/5 Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message! Comment: Awesome ideas. Good job :thumbs_up:
Nice :D
About destructible doodads... You should just make all abilities do damage to doodads, and replace small doodads like barrels and crates with destructible ones. It shouldn't be too much work :D
Hmm perhaps.

5/5! And a small suggestion. Can you swap the placing "Let the game end" and "Continue game". Forgive my clumsiness in pressing enter/space accidentally.
Hmm yeah, I've misclicked that myself many times as well.
Gotta switch them around.

[td]
Wow, another update! Cant wait to check it when i go home.
This news look like you can add an actual deathmatch/duel AI now. I hope you'll consider this.
[/td][td]
Looking forward to AI Deathmatch!!!

A great map indeed.
[/td]
Yes, AI development has now started.
It will take a bit of work to make it perform adequately and the game modes will need some heavy adjustments to account for bot players.
But it's being worked on now.

It......it......it has a....a.....ai. Wow finaly thabk u sire, thatnk, will test in now just to move my fat brother from pc, thx thx, was wbing for this so so long time. Btw did map get DC rating i know some dc maps that cannot even compare with this on.e

Not in this version yet. (Well, except for slightly improved Boss mode AI)
I'm currently working on AI, and it will most likely come in next version or the one after that depending on progress.

Level 23
Me and my friends just loooove gore... and this is perfect! Although hotkeys are confusing at the start, you get the hang of it after a few tries..

Boss mode is pretty challenging.. but 20 seconds for buying equipment is kinda short.. what about making players type -ready, and then if everyone has typed that, the next stage starts..

BTW, when the boss does a "kick" and you do a "lunge" at the same time, you can get a pretty long range attack.. like more than half of the room long range..

Anyways, awesome map!

Level 30
So, I have heard news that an AI will come to this epic game. WOW, that's awesome, I suggest you to take time on your AI because it takes many skills to do this especially when in Hack N Slash because you need to make the AI survive waves and use their own skills. BTW< glad you like our, me and xorkatoss idea about the Attack of the Pirates.... Krakken included! +REP!

"Finally-bringing-the-AI-Bots" -Update!

Version 0.97h
[TD]

• Improvements
    • Bot AI system created
      • AI now supports player units (Bots)
      • Multiboard now supports bots
      • Bots in deathmatch, team deathmatch, and Boss Mode
    • Select Armor modifier added
      • Allows players to choose their armor before the round starts
    • Grandfang model slightly improved
    • Claymore model slightly improved
  • Bug fixes
    • Plated Brigandine descriptions fixed
    • Fixed a bug with the game modifier buffs not appearing correctly during character customization
    • Respawn systems recreated to prevent a couple of odd bugs
    • Minor fixes and improvements around the map

[/TD]

Making this update took a looong time as I was a bit busy with various things.
Anyway, ever since BnG II was first uploaded, people have been constantly requesting one feature.
And today is the day that feature is finally introduced to the map.

Blades 'n Gore II now supports bots.
During setting selection the host can select a bot threshold, which is basically a player count number. If the actual player count is less than the selected number, bots will fill the missing slots.
Also, if a player leaves the game and bot threshold has been set, a bot will take over the leaving player to keep the player count in the defined amount.
The bots are currently available for deathmatch, team deathmatch, and boss mode.​

Also, the host can now choose to allow players to select their armor.
This works the same way as the weapon selection modifier.​

wow, I know to it is late but I have to play it!
EDIT: Continuing down post.
First off all all bugs reported here are founded while playing with AI bots.

7. Battle Zone area, 11 AI warmup. In one moment when timer is finished for giving me new spells, timer wasnt hidden and I didnt get any spells. It is probably because of 11 ai played and plenty actions that have been played.

I have some suggestions but cannot remember them now.

EDIT2:
I have remember one thing(suggestion):

When I kill enemy it Writes for excample YOU killed BOT2, but when he kills me it writes BOT2 killed worldedit. So maybe to change that?
+Rep. Good job.

Last edited:
First of all sorry for double post I cannot edit the(I can but it is really hard from cell-phone).First of all AI is gr8, I cannot write too long so I will focus on things that I have found out:

1. Many(F10)-Log(F10) log is f12 and it should be Log(F12)
2. 1 Bots- 1 Bot
3. Throwing Weapons dont work for me in DM and Warmup (never ever), mana is spent, cooldown started, but weapon not throwed and animation not played.
4. I also can drop them(didnt tested in Boss Mode)
5. In Game Customization everyting have hotkey except Game Modifiers.
6. After reseting game in what insta kill was on, next game can also have insta kill even if it is turned off.

Level 20

7. Battle Zone area, 11 AI warmup. In one moment when timer is finished for giving me new spells, timer wasnt hidden and I didnt get any spells. It is probably because of 11 ai played and plenty actions that have been played.

EDIT2:

When I kill enemy it Writes for excample YOU killed BOT2, but when he kills me it writes BOT2 killed worldedit. So maybe to change that?
+Rep. Good job.
First of all sorry for double post I cannot edit the(I can but it is really hard from cell-phone).First of all AI is gr8, I cannot write too long so I will focus on things that I have found out:

2. 1 Bots- 1 Bot
3. Throwing Weapons dont work for me in DM and Warmup (never ever), mana is spent, cooldown started, but weapon not throwed and animation not played.
6. After reseting game in what insta kill was on, next game can also have insta kill even if it is turned off.
Hey man nice bug reports you got there! You should post them on the Bug Report Thread so it's easier for kita to see them;)

Undead, I w8 2 seconds mothing happend.
Xorx(i cannot spell well xD), will do it next time didnt know that. And why are you killing me xD, do you know how hard is to revial hidden tags from nokia c3-00 xD. People I would really like to play this map with you on garena, it is my favourite pvp map ever, I am really sorry that I cannot help you with more testing, anyway I hope to my bug report now and this posted long time ago helped you at least a little :)

It's never too late to play BnG II!
[td]

EDIT2:

+Rep. Good job.
[/td][td]

2. 1 Bots- 1 Bot
Very good points, +rep!

People I would really like to play this map with you on garena, it is my favourite pvp map ever, I am really sorry that I cannot help you with more testing, anyway I hope to my bug report now and this posted long time ago helped you at least a little :)

Sure, you can join Garena group 31617.
Instructions:
  1. Start garena plus
  2. Press
    124756-albums5391-picture56662.png
    and select Join Group
  3. type in 31617 and press Next

Level 8
Without any doubt a very very cool map :)

Suggestions:
- add kill streaks (maybe with announcer) like killing spree or rampage for additional rewarded feelings by kills
- add special moves (bladestorm) or powerups (of course only if they do not destroy the gameplay or gameflow) ;)
- optional map events (pirate attack on ship)
- Arena map where you are able to push anemies into spikes or deadly pits

Without any doubt a very very cool map :)

Suggestions:
- add kill streaks (maybe with announcer) like killing spree or rampage for additional rewarded feelings by kills
- add special moves (bladestorm) or powerups (of course only if they do not destroy the gameplay or gameflow) ;)
- optional map events (pirate attack on ship)
- Arena map where you are able to push anemies into spikes or deadly pits
Thanks for the suggestions!
The map does announce killing sprees of 5 kills or more with game messages.
But yeah, maybe they should be announced more visibly/audibly. Gotta think.
Fun game . GJ

I suggest a bigger map :thumbs_up:
That's nice to hear!
The map will get bigger as soon as I have the time to make new terrain areas. I'm currently focusing on improving the interface and game systems.

Mate 2 thing tha I can remember now:
1. This sword what return you energy is really buggy, message is okey but stamina(mana) "behaves" really bad, sometimess I lose it, or nothing happens, or get it normaly, or from 20 my stamina jumps to 80 so can you check it?.
2. This dark, shadow pillar in boss mode have(I think) badly done
Extents, so he easily get invisible when it is near of endge of my screen(I gues u know how to fix is, magos, edit calculate extents), who am I to teach you xD

Version 0.98m

"Complete-visual-overhaul" -Update!

Version 0.98m
[TD]

• New Content
    • New user interface
      • Plenty of aesthetic improvements and changes all across the map
    • Damage Log
      • Shows exactly who damaged you and how.
      • Is shown to you after each death.
      • Included in every game mode except boss mode.
  • Improvements
    • Visual improvements
      • Ability icons improved
      • Tooltip visuals improved
      • Multiboard visuals improved
      • Several text and text color improvements around the map
    • Computer players in lobby are now automatically set as bots
    • Weapon/Armor selection messages improved
    • Ship terrain pathing slightly improved
    • Duel mode improved
      • There's now a 3 second delay after kill before next duel starts.
      • This means the duel isn't "interrupted" rudely the second one player dies.
    • Major optimizations applied
      • Map filesize has dropped by over 200kb while new content has been imported.
      • More old trigger systems have been replaced with more effective ones.
  • Balancing
    • Tumble ability range will now temporarily decrease upon spamming the ability.
      • Very rapid spamming will cause the unit to stumble.
  • Bug fixes
    • Fixed respawn bug in Battle Zone
    • Enabling/Disabling shops no longer switches game arena to void
    • Fixed a bug that prevented the use of throwing weapons
    • Control points are now hidden outside Battle Zone mode
    • Fixed incorrect messages upon selecting certain settings
    • Log hotkey tooltip fixed (F10 -> F12)
    • Pillar doodad models fixed; they will no longer disappear from sight
    • Character models fixed; the stand ready animation will no longer twitch
    • Fixed a bug that enabled instakill and weapon select to be active simultaneously if game was reset
    • Fixed a bug that prevented players from capturing points in Battle Zone
    • Fixed a bug that caused duel arena to not pick the next challenger
  • Miscellaneous
    • Default game mode in multiplayer is now deathmatch instead of warmup
    • Default game mode in singleplayer is now deathmatch if any computer players have been set in the game lobby.
    • All players will now see the same random end quote shown at victory/defeat

[/TD]

This is another quite massive update with some big improvements all around the map.
Version highlights:
  • The interface has had a complete overhaul to fit the map theme better.
  • A detailed damage log has been implemented to provide answer to the common question of "How the hell did he manage to kill me?!"
  • Map has been optimized further in both filesize and triggers.
  • Tons of bug fixes
    • Throwing weapons, capture points, game modes, etc.

Damage logNew user interfaceGameplay with bots

I am so proud on myself that I have reported so many bugs.
Will report them more !

EDIT: Well new UI is good, honestly I don't like it that much, but probably I will need some time to get in move with it. One anoying thing (for me) in this line near buffs, it really strikes my eyes. Btw did you fix this bug about mana steal item.

EDIT2: Kita, warmup is really buggy agains, I have tested it only with AI and this is result:
Star of the game: set ai to some count any number, and then change ggame mod to warm up, you wull et message: NOTE: Bot not avaible for Warm up(or dual mode dont remember) and NOTE: bot trueshot setted to 1
also after finishing warmup and I start it once more game is really buggy, I have throwing weapons from beggining and I never get new spells.
+ AI have all spells at start of any warmup

Last edited:
Me too but lets w8 version 1.00

EDIT: CRITICAL ERROR, well yesterday I started classic warmup in iinsland area with few botss, but very soon game become really really laggy(fps 3-4), when I tryed to enter meny, boom game broken I got kicked from wc3.

Suggestion, about this damage log that shows you who done how much damage,, it is possible to you make we can leave it by pressing ESC key, because I check it in few seconds and then want to focus on game details.

Buy the way, in version 0,97 arrow key didnt worked for me

Last edited:
Level 3
I dont have time for a big review and stuff, so im gonna rate this with the most higher grade you want.

Its freaking epic map, no more no less - perfect :D

Level 20
I think this should be Director's Cut?..
lol this map is way too awesome
it should be on the Directors Cut :D
remember guys, last review was over a year ago.
attachment.php

If I'm not mistaken Kitabatake will request a new review when map reaches v1.00 and he might even be able to get a Director's Cut!

Attachments

• BnG II Review.png
    BnG II Review.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 301
Level 12
Writing up something because bored

Interruptions should be more common.
Currently, interruptions don't really have that much influence in a fight, considering
• how small the window is for them to occur in the first place and
• how trivial the stun duration is already.
Putting more emphasis on this mechanic would really alleviate the problem of 90% of fights being clusterfucks. Right now, it really doesn't deter Slash spamming at all - even a one-on-one looks like two meat grinders trying to tango. Pls fix.​

Slow mana regeneration doesn't complement the pace of the game.
Any sword with a stamina rating less than 15 is pretty ass. I understand that you can use multiple swords, such as pairing the Katana with ass-rapingly high damage weapons - but that makes the rest of the swords seem like add-ons.

Exclusively using a low stamina sword is suffering, though. It's not hard to dry up your mana banks in this game, but it sure is hard to recover from it. You will not have a moment of solace to get back your mana; instead, you'll be decking your ass out of town from enemies trying to sodomize you.
(Spoilers: you will die.)

...Basically, I'm trying to say that there's too much time spent dilly dallying and fumbling like a retard instead of fighting.

Mana should be revised somehow. Below is a rough idea of how I think stamina should work:
• Mana regeneration is much faster (Katana speed or higher) regardless of stamina rating
• Stamina rating now affects how much mana you consume with spells, though
• Mana cost on spells should be jacked up accordingly, of course.​

Lack of sword variety.
Nodachi, Blood Lotus, Katana, and Flamberge are alright. They actually have -somewhat- unique attributes to them that affect playstyle. The other weapons seem too focused on "OH SHIT 70 DAMAGE" or asshair bonuses that are negligible in a game where you die in 2 hits. And if you ask me, damage needs to be toned down a shitload too (extra backstab damage doesn't help either)

Swords need to vary in more parameters outside damage, range, and mana regeneration. Have a list:
• Attack speed: naturally, heavier swords like the Greatsword will take longer to swing; the light Katana can slice and dice like nobody's business, etc.
• Hitstun: possibly add minor hitstun on heavier weapons
• Can't think of anything else, fug​

Bots need some refining.
Gonna list some obvious things that you're probably already going to address
• Bots have -perfect- timing. Seriously, their cruelly efficient Slash spamming can literally kill you in less than half a second. Also, they don't have any input delay. Not really beginner-friendly.
• They're also pretty fucking retarded when in "evasion mode." The general behavior seems to be "do a couple of tumbles and drink afterwards." Wow whoa​

also
Exhibit A
Exhibit B

ok im done

Hi sir Kitabatake

Were 6 players that time

THEN

Bugs are encountered by my team

Well , i think its the island , the problems are those pathing blockers and spawn points. One of my friend was trapped behind the pathing blocker , as a result , he cant attack.

I hope you fix it
Thanks for reporting, this will be fixed in the next version.

Hey, this is an awesome map. I think this kind of map picture with the guy and the writing on top of him, I think Blades n Gore should use a better drawing. Just saying. There are so much great artists in hive which you can request one.
Hmmm, perhaps.
I'll think about it after v1.00 is done.

Totally epic but a bit hard for me! Unique, bloody, simply epic... also the character cusomization blew my mind first time I played it! 5/5
That's very nice to hear!

Writing up something because bored

Interruptions should be more common.
Currently, interruptions don't really have that much influence in a fight, considering
• how small the window is for them to occur in the first place and
• how trivial the stun duration is already.
Putting more emphasis on this mechanic would really alleviate the problem of 90% of fights being clusterfucks. Right now, it really doesn't deter Slash spamming at all - even a one-on-one looks like two meat grinders trying to tango. Pls fix.​

Successfully blocking a slash often gives you enough time to counterattack before the enemy is able to react.
I think increasing the stun duration would only make the game very defend-oriented, which would most likely be detrimental to the gameplay.

Slow mana regeneration doesn't complement the pace of the game.
Any sword with a stamina rating less than 15 is pretty ass. I understand that you can use multiple swords, such as pairing the Katana with ass-rapingly high damage weapons - but that makes the rest of the swords seem like add-ons.

Exclusively using a low stamina sword is suffering, though. It's not hard to dry up your mana banks in this game, but it sure is hard to recover from it. You will not have a moment of solace to get back your mana; instead, you'll be decking your ass out of town from enemies trying to sodomize you.
(Spoilers: you will die.)

...Basically, I'm trying to say that there's too much time spent dilly dallying and fumbling like a retard instead of fighting.​
Hmmm, very valid points!
Yes, the heavier swords take ages to regain their stamina.
However, they also deal enough damage to instantly kill someone with powerslam (assuming no armor is worn).

Mana should be revised somehow. Below is a rough idea of how I think stamina should work:
• Mana regeneration is much faster (Katana speed or higher) regardless of stamina rating
• Stamina rating now affects how much mana you consume with spells, though
• Mana cost on spells should be jacked up accordingly, of course.
That is actually how it was originally supposed to be.
However, the problem was that the manacost cannot be fluently changed for the abilities.
Ability levels are already necessary for the levelup systems so I can't just use levels to manipulate the manacost.
Also, having a triggered manacost would mean some inconveniences such as:
  • Indicating manacost in the tooltips would be very problematic. (I would basically have to add another line of tooltip text that would just be a formula for the manacost and nobody has the time to read and interpret those).
  • The abilities will not be automatically disabled when you haven't got enough mana, which means that players would more often end up trying to cast abilities they can't afford.

Lack of sword variety.
Nodachi, Blood Lotus, Katana, and Flamberge are alright. They actually have -somewhat- unique attributes to them that affect playstyle. The other weapons seem too focused on "OH SHIT 70 DAMAGE" or asshair bonuses that are negligible in a game where you die in 2 hits. And if you ask me, damage needs to be toned down a shitload too (extra backstab damage doesn't help either)​
Grand Fang - Very strong weapon that punishes missed attacks with extra stamina drain.
Greatsword - Deals percentual damage that is very effective against high hp enemies.
Claymore - Greatly boosts mana regeneration if outnumbered.
War Fang - Allows you to drain health on every hit, keeping you alive longer.
Bastard Sword - Gives a significant boost to your stamina and health.
Viking Sword - When charged up, has the power of a heavy weapon, while still having the stamina of a light weapon.​
The bonuses are of course situational but I wouldn't really call them negligible.

Also, it takes more than 2 hits to kill someone if any of the following is true:
  • Players are not using the heaviest weapons
  • Players are using armor
  • Players use the defend ability
Swords need to vary in more parameters outside damage, range, and mana regeneration. Have a list:
• Attack speed: naturally, heavier swords like the Greatsword will take longer to swing; the light Katana can slice and dice like nobody's business, etc.
• Hitstun: possibly add minor hitstun on heavier weapons
• Can't think of anything else, fug
Hmm, I did try attack speed modifiers at some point but I can't remember why I discarded that idea. Probably had some problems with the animation speeds. I'll have to look into that again.

Hitstun would probably encourage slash-spam even more, unless the attack speeds were low enough.
But if the attack speeds are too low, it will be far too easy to block...
If the heavy weapons could strike through defend they might be overpowered.
Hmmm, gotta think...

Bots need some refining.
Gonna list some obvious things that you're probably already going to address
• Bots have -perfect- timing. Seriously, their cruelly efficient Slash spamming can literally kill you in less than half a second. Also, they don't have any input delay. Not really beginner-friendly.
• They're also pretty fucking retarded when in "evasion mode." The general behavior seems to be "do a couple of tumbles and drink afterwards." Wow whoa​
Yeah, gotta develop them further as soon as I get some other stuff out of the way first (full screen systems etc).
Got any suggestions for better evasion behavior?

The text will be fixed for next version.
Did that backstab bug occur in version 0.98? I'll have to check the angle comparisons...

Anyway, excellent feedback! Thanks & +rep!

Level 12
Kitabatake said:
Successfully blocking a slash often gives you enough time to counterattack before the enemy is able to react.
I think increasing the stun duration would only make the game very defend-oriented, which would most likely be detrimental to the gameplay.

Interrupt happens when two players attack each other at the same time, no? Wasn't talking about Defend, which is something that's already fine as it is.

Kitabatake said:
Also, having a triggered manacost would mean some inconveniences such as:
  • Indicating manacost in the tooltips would be very problematic. (I would basically have to add another line of tooltip text that would just be a formula for the manacost and nobody has the time to read and interpret those).
  • The abilities will not be automatically disabled when you haven't got enough mana, which means that players would more often end up trying to cast abilities they can't afford.
Stamina bar would fix both. You know, as in floating text.

Kitabatake said:
Ability levels are already necessary for the levelup systems so I can't just use levels to manipulate the manacost.
Just store ability level in a variable? iunno m8

Kitabatake said:
Grand Fang - Very strong weapon that punishes missed attacks with extra stamina drain.
Greatsword - Deals percentual damage that is very effective against high hp enemies.
Claymore - Greatly boosts mana regeneration if outnumbered.
War Fang - Allows you to drain health on every hit, keeping you alive longer.
Bastard Sword - Gives a significant boost to your stamina and health.
Viking Sword - When charged up, has the power of a heavy weapon, while still having the stamina of a light weapon.​
The bonuses are of course situational but I wouldn't really call them negligible.

Also, it takes more than 2 hits to kill someone if any of the following is true:
  • Players are not using the heaviest weapons
  • Players are using armor
  • Players use the defend ability

Still don't think the Greatsword, Grand Fang, and Viking Sword are any special. They're just there to dish out megafucktons of damage, albeit through different methods. The Bastard Sword and War Fang bonuses mean ass if you don't use them in tandem with stronk armor - even then, a strong offense is the best defense, especially in this game.

Claymore is alright, I just forgot about it. It seems more PvM-oriented, though, much like the Greatsword.

also naked armor master race

Kitabatake said:
Hmm, I did try attack speed modifiers at some point but I can't remember why I discarded that idea. Probably had some problems with the animation speeds. I'll have to look into that again.

Hitstun would probably encourage slash-spam even more, unless the attack speeds were low enough.
But if the attack speeds are too low, it will be far too easy to block...
If the heavy weapons could strike through defend they might be overpowered.
Hmmm, gotta think...
Just altering the animation speeds won't cut it; you're probably going to have to make new animations - that is, if you don't want it to look stupid.
And I think I'm alright in animating, and with MdlVis to boot (that's what you use, right?). Just holla if you need help my son.
I am also a jobless high schooler with too much fucking spare time

Here's what I think (going to classify bigger swords as "greatswords" for convenience):
• greatswords take twice as long to swing
• greatswords' attacks can still be blocked, but the attacker won't suffer from stagger
• hitstun is on par with Kick, so it shouldn't be too annoying; it's there to interrupt actions, not to stunlock
• only Slash is given hitstun, not Lunge
etc etc.

Kitabatake said:
Yeah, gotta develop them further as soon as I get some other stuff out of the way first (full screen systems etc).
Got any suggestions for better evasion behavior?
Well, the standard affair seems to be sprinting from the area.
My favorite thing to do, however, is to jetpack my ass out of there via tumble-lunge-tumble spam. It works, m8.
And possibly make bots more aggressive when low on health. You know, a desperate last stand sorta thing.

Kitabatake said:
The text will be fixed for next version.
Did that backstab bug occur in version 0.98? I'll have to check the angle comparisons...
Ye.

I am probably imagining things, but bots seem to have a penchant for glitchstabs more than human players do, too.

Interrupt happens when two players attack each other at the same time, no? Wasn't talking about Defend, which is something that's already fine as it is.
Ah yes.
It seems I forgot to include that feature when I recreated the combat system.
Gotta add it for the next version!

Stamina bar would fix both. You know, as in floating text.
Uh? That wouldn't fix either of them.

How would a floating text bar indicate the current manacost of all available abilities?
How would a floating text bar indicate specifically which abilities you cannot afford at the moment?

Also, floating bars would further clutter the screen, which is something I want to avoid.

Just store ability level in a variable? iunno m8
It is already, but I need the level-specific descriptions for the abilities.
Also, I don't want to have several hundreds of levels for the abilities to cover all combinations of manacosts and ability levels.
(It would be a hassle to implement and would slow down map loading times)

Still don't think the Greatsword, Grand Fang, and Viking Sword are any special. They're just there to dish out megafucktons of damage, albeit through different methods. The Bastard Sword and War Fang bonuses mean ass if you don't use them in tandem with stronk armor - even then, a strong offense is the best defense, especially in this game.

Claymore is alright, I just forgot about it. It seems more PvM-oriented, though, much like the Greatsword.

also naked armor master race
You can charge up Bastard Sword before entering combat, which means you don't necessarily need strong armor.
War Fang drains health from every unit it hits so it can keep you alive for a long time when fighting multiple enemies.

Just altering the animation speeds won't cut it; you're probably going to have to make new animations - that is, if you don't want it to look stupid.
And I think I'm alright in animating, and with MdlVis to boot (that's what you use, right?). Just holla if you need help my son.
I am also a jobless high schooler with too much fucking spare time
Well the only problem with animations is that the available names are running out and it would probably be too much of a hassle to use indexes.

Gotta think about it.

Here's what I think (going to classify bigger swords as "greatswords" for convenience):
• greatswords take twice as long to swing
• greatswords' attacks can still be blocked, but the attacker won't suffer from stagger
• hitstun is on par with Kick, so it shouldn't be too annoying; it's there to interrupt actions, not to stunlock
• only Slash is given hitstun, not Lunge
etc etc.
Hmm possibly, yeah.

Well, the standard affair seems to be sprinting from the area.
My favorite thing to do, however, is to jetpack my ass out of there via tumble-lunge-tumble spam. It works, m8.
And possibly make bots more aggressive when low on health. You know, a desperate last stand sorta thing.
Yeah probably should add the lunge to the escape methods.
However, the "desperate last stand" wouldn't differ from their regular combat in any way.

Ye.

I am probably imagining things, but bots seem to have a penchant for glitchstabs more than human players do, too.
Well the combat system treats all units the same way.
I'll have to check that backstab problem...

Edit: After some testing I could not recreate the bug.
It probably occurs only in certain circumstances.

Last edited:
Level 12
Kitabatake said:
Uh? That wouldn't fix either of them.

How would a floating text bar indicate the current manacost of all available abilities?
How would a floating text bar indicate specifically which abilities you cannot afford at the moment?

i forgot to mention that you should be able to cast any ability regardless of how much mana you currently have. that said, you wouldn't be able to cast anything when at 0 mana (obviously) and when regenerating mana after hitting 0

having a stamina bar, you'd have a visual of how much mana you'd be using up as opposed committing a bunch of numbers to memory. it would also eliminate the need to document a gorillion mp consumption formulas in ability descriptions

i.e. i've been playing dark souls too fucking much

you probably will disregard this suggestion anyway since it's too "radical" in terms of its effect on gameplay, but i really cannot come up with a way to fix mp regeneration. and yes, I really do believe it -does- need to be fixed

Kitabatake said:
Also, floating bars would further clutter the screen, which is something I want to avoid.
w/e

Kitabatake said:
You can charge up Bastard Sword before entering combat, which means you don't necessarily need strong armor.
Kitabatake said:
charge up
??

i forgot to mention that you should be able to cast any ability regardless of how much mana you currently have. that said, you wouldn't be able to cast anything when at 0 mana (obviously) and when regenerating mana after hitting 0
Hmm?
"Can't cast anything when regenerating mana after hitting 0"?
So when would the player be able to cast again?

Do you mean he would be locked from casting until he has regenerated all mana?
That would mean long pauses in the combat.

having a stamina bar, you'd have a visual of how much mana you'd be using up as opposed committing a bunch of numbers to memory. it would also eliminate the need to document a gorillion mp consumption formulas in ability descriptions
How would the bar provide any extra information in comparison to the mana displayed below the portrait?

you probably will disregard this suggestion anyway since it's too "radical" in terms of its effect on gameplay, but i really cannot come up with a way to fix mp regeneration. and yes, I really do believe it -does- need to be fixed
Well, let's see if this leads to anything.

Nevermind, I was thinking of Viking Sword there :p

Bastard Sword boosts your health and stamina, which can make you really tough to kill especially if used with armor.

Level 12
Kitabatake said:
Hmm?
"Can't cast anything when regenerating mana after hitting 0"?
So when would the player be able to cast again?

Do you mean he would be locked from casting until he has regenerated all mana?
That would mean long pauses in the combat.

previously i mentioned that mp regen should be at katana speed or higher by default, which was what you had originally planned, apparently

there would be less gaps than there are now given the bumped up regeneration speed, but it shouldn't be so fast that recovering from 0 mana is virtually unpunishable

Kitabatake said:
How would the bar provide any extra information in comparison to the mana displayed below the portrait?
it doesn't.

it makes it more obvious to the player how much mp you're using more than presenting to them cumbersome ass formulas. no, it doesn't give exact values, but players can gauge how much mp they're using through estimation of length easier than mentally subtracting numbers in half a second (and not to mention having to MEMORIZE those numbers)

tl;dr