• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Base abilities for custom spells cast by melee-game AI units

Level 9
I would like to add some information regarding this topic,
about custom Immolation, the AI-controlled unit will only activate it if :
1. custom Immolation deals damage
2. there are enemies around the AI-controlled unit
3. the custom Immolation can damage those enemies (OE - Target Allowed)
4. the AI-controlled unit has lost about 30-50% hitpoints.

found this after messing with AI in my own map, these conditions are found with trial and errors, perhaps someone else can confirm it.

Level 16
I would like to add some information regarding this topic,
about custom Immolation, the AI-controlled unit will only activate it if :
2. there are enemies around the AI-controlled unit
4. the AI-controlled unit has lost about 30-50% hitpoints.

found this after messing with AI in my own map, these conditions are found with trial and errors, perhaps someone else can confirm it.

Thanks for contributing! +REP

I do hope there are more reliable source of datas though,

Such as in the MPQ anyone?

Is there such files that define these behaviours?

I think the AI part of the spells is raw-coded at the same place there is the effect part (the base effect, I mean, not what you can change in the editor).
If that's the case, it's in the game.dll or the storm.dll (don't remember which one) and would be hard to decode.

Im quite sure this applies to all abilities that have a damage component.

As this one :

Yrk

Yrk

Level 6
Hi Boris_Spider ,

Here are some you can add to the list ( If this is Update )
-Phase Shift
-Mana Flare
-Anti-magic Shell
-Unholy Frenzy
-Cripple
-Purge
-Bloodlust
-Statis Trap
-Big Bad Voodoo
-Dispel
-Locust Swarm / Voodoo Spirits
-Death Pact

Hope it helps :)
-----
Ohhh , By the way , +Rep :)

Level 8
The AI only cast these spells if the unit with the ability already know it from before right? You can't give an Acolyte the spell "Divine Shield" and it will automatically cast it when attacked? So you have to base the unit you want to cast Divine Shield automatically on Bandit Lord or some other unit that have Divine Shield as default?

Because I tried giving "Priest" Divine Shield, but it didn't cast it automatically. But its base spells like Heal, Inner Fire and Dispel Magic it casts when the conditions are met.

Level 21
The AI only cast these spells if the unit with the ability already know it from before right? You can't give an Acolyte the spell "Divine Shield" and it will automatically cast it when attacked? So you have to base the unit you want to cast Divine Shield automatically on Bandit Lord or some other unit that have Divine Shield as default?

Because I tried giving "Priest" Divine Shield, but it didn't cast it automatically. But its base spells like Heal, Inner Fire and Dispel Magic it casts when the conditions are met.

I have made several tests at various times and this doesn't seem to be true. However, some abilities do have strange rules for being cast.

Level 21
Well, it's a design limitation. It's either impossible to create an AI that would beat humans in a complex real-time game or it is prohibitively expensive. Thus, they are given some advantage to make up for them being stupid. Not having to scout is one of them in WC3.

Level 6
If you play melee games for a time, you will realize that sight abilities such as Sentinel (Night elf huntress), Sentry Ward (Orc Witch Doctor), Farsight (Orc Farseer), Flare (Human Mortal team) aren't used by AI. To some extent, Undead Shades are never produced by your AI opponent.

About Divine Shield question, i think the priest didn't use it because they are busy using Heal on themselves already. You may want to try on some other units and see the differences.

Level 9
If you play melee games for a time, you will realize that sight abilities such as Sentinel (Night elf huntress), Sentry Ward (Orc Witch Doctor), Farsight (Orc Farseer), Flare (Human Mortal team) aren't used by AI. To some extent, Undead Shades are never produced by your AI opponent.

About Divine Shield question, i think the priest didn't use it because they are busy using Heal on themselves already. You may want to try on some other units and see the differences.

The AI DOES use Sentinel.

Just wanted to add this, as there's a lot of confusion about AoE spell AI and how they sometimes trigger if only 1 unit is caught by it:

This happens when the caster has full mana. In this case, it's actually smart to use your spell to kill the unit fast in order to not waste the mana regeneration.

Level 3
Question: does the AI behave this way only if you use the action:
  • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
or do computer players behave the same way even without it?

Level 16
inner fire is used whenever the ally unit is attacking (becuz it gives bonus dmg)

im not sure if its used when the unit cannot attack.

slow i think is used if the enemy is attacking (like curse) butim not sure.

basically, auto cast spells behave same as auto cast I think.

(need double check)!!!!

Level 20
Guys,

is polymorph never used by sorceress?

If abilities aren't mentioned it's because none of the contributors have submitted the casting trends of the AI. Please submit your experiences working with custom AI base abilities. The more information I have the more useful others may find this tutorial.

Level 16
Hello,

AI behaviour here seems wierd. I gave Beast master has his own abilitities (bear + quil beast) in addition to water elemental and Book of the dead (ability not item).

why does it seem to me that the AI summons only when the beast master health is low? also He almost never used book of the dead (he only did it once when i removed all other abilities)

could the reason be perhaps that campaign AI script is run?

Edit: alright, so when BEAST VS BLADE necro book wont be used. However, when I let beast reach my town and I call to arms, he does use it.

Perhaps the ai will only use necro book when he is outnumbered? Perhaps something else.

Attachments

• TestAIMap04.w3x
    21.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Level 16
Hello,

it seems like Vengence, the warden ability, is only used when there are some corpses nearby. The AI wouldnt summon otherwise.

e:

Hello,

AI uses a lot of the summon abilitites. Even dark portal, item doom guard summon, and summon HeadHunters are used and not ignored.

When I have time I will check inferno (must be used cuz melee, duh),and rain of chaos inshallah

hmmm,

the ensnare ability makes me curious

Last edited:
Level 16
seems like cripple is only cast on powerful units.

it is always cast on knights. it is never cast on footmen.

AI cast it on grunts when they have level 2 weapon upgrade

If I change Foot men attack speed to be much higher, AI will cast cripple on them.

Last edited:
Level 16
Forked Lightning doesn't work for me. Units are around but it won't cast.
What about Death Coil? Do they use it normally during attacks? Or just to heal their undead?
maybe it will cast only if there are enough units. If you have played Curse of the Blood elves original campaign, you would see that it is used by the AI (check last 2 chapters)

Level 1
Forked Lightning doesn't work for me. Units are around but it won't cast.
What about Death Coil? Do they use it normally during attacks? Or just to heal their undead?
At the moment the normal melee AI from Blizzard is broken. I think the spell-reference has been changed. The names of hero-spells have been changed in the WorldEdit as well. Thus the AI does not skill spells anymore :O
Alternative AIs such as AMAI don't work either because of the changed spell reference

Level 20
At the moment the normal melee AI from Blizzard is broken. I think the spell-reference has been changed. The names of hero-spells have been changed in the WorldEdit as well. Thus the AI does not skill spells anymore :O
Alternative AIs such as AMAI don't work either because of the changed spell reference
It worked in the wc1 remake, and i'm still using that version for the wc2 remake! Not even blizzard string works and it was the same back then. :(