• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Acheron

On which RPG Genre this project should be focused the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hades and others MAY appear, not sure yet. :)

Then what do you mean by sharpness? Texture itself is really high quality, game itself stretches the texture and makes it blurry no matter how sharp it is. I don't know and don't have the tools to wrap the texture, I could divide the texture into 4 textures of high quality, that would be much better, but not sure how to do it.

game itself stretches the texture and makes it blurry no matter how sharp it is.
It's true. It's known as the wc3 curse ;) This game just hates HQ stuff.

I could divide the texture into 4 textures of high quality, that would be much better, but not sure how to do it.
I recall that Talavaj IS good at that. You could ask.

Last edited:
Hades and others MAY appear, not sure yet. :)

Then what do you mean by sharpness? Texture itself is really high quality, game itself stretches the texture and makes it blurry no matter how sharp it is. I don't know and don't have the tools to wrap the texture, I could divide the texture into 4 textures of high quality, that would be much better, but not sure how to do it.

lol, you are wasting your dear size by using 1024 x 1024 textures. The maximum limit of resolution is 512 x 512, they will get resized if above 512 x 512, stretched and compressed in-game back to 512 x 512. You are also wasting your size, it cant get past 1024 x 1024. The only way is to cut them into four parts or eight parts..

How can there be an underworld without Hades? Thats an absurd to Greek mythology.

Level 31
I'm not sure why, but size does matter. (not what you think) I tested it on Iceborn map when I was doing a loading screen. I made a simple image, not big one, it was really blurry. Then I took a big picture, divided it into 4 parts and made a loading screen of that, quality increased significantly. Then I took a really big picture, but one. Made a loading screen and quality was completely the same as the one with 4 images, I even compared it with screenshots. I'm not sure why, but it didn't got squished to 512x512. It might be working that way, it didn't that time, odd. It didn't got blurry that much just because I increased the size. I know, makes no sense.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

...size does matter...
(not what you think)
Kappa.png

ot; from my experience, merging smaller pieces into one is better

I'm not sure why, but size does matter. (not what you think) I tested it on Iceborn map when I was doing a loading screen. I made a simple image, not big one, it was really blurry. Then I took a big picture, divided it into 4 parts and made a loading screen of that, quality increased significantly. Then I took a really big picture, but one. Made a loading screen and quality was completely the same as the one with 4 images, I even compared it with screenshots. I'm not sure why, but it didn't got squished to 512x512. It might be working that way, it didn't that time, odd. It didn't got blurry that much just because I increased the size. I know, makes no sense.

Maybe.. but the limit is still there and you can't get any bigger than it. auto-Compress a larger image in-game to 512 x 512 can keep some of the quality untouched. This phenomena is already known, but it takes away tremendous amount of file size. It is of course no big deal for single player maps.

3000 x 3000 > 512 x 512 = 70/80% Quality
1024 x 1024 > 512 x 512 = 10/25% Quality

Edit: It best works with .TGA files rather than .BLP.

I just tried applying TGA texture file to the model and wrapping is completely screwed up. However, if I convert it into BLP, it wraps around the model just perfectly, yet when TGA it won't do. I don't get it, is there a way to make TGA readable?

Don't bother. Your model will crash in-game if it has a texture any other than .BLP. You can't use .TGA textures in unit models, doodads or anything that gets rendered in the screen as a 3D object. .TGA is only working for interface and 2D objects.

Oh... Okay.

I need to learn wrapping first in order to do the division, tried looking for tutorials, looks quite complex, maybe I looked into wrong ones. Can you wrap models with Mdlvis? I thought it was just for animating.

Yes you can, but there are more professional programs in the tool's section that are specially used for wrapping.

Level 31
I asked PROXY and he will deal with texture division, hopefully soon I will show a better result in the texture of the book. For now a terrain update, this is the place where the first boss may appear. Going to use Thaddius voice from WoW for a better feel. Also certain bosses will be respawnable. Destroying that summoning circle, boss appears, when dead, you get the loot. You can resummon the boss unlimited amount of times, this way boss becomes stronger with each summon, yet opportunity to gain experience and get more of the loot.
gDyxUCa.png

Level 31
Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah, you are very observant, andreariona. :) I dismantled the model into pieces and took his back bones as well as skulls as s separate file, main hero will be able to get an item that will grand him this attachment, I also split the attachment into other pieces and made doodads such as these skulls or the necklace that is hanging on that barricaded stone wall. Gotta be creative with anything I get. :)

Yrk

Yrk

Level 6
Hmmm , Another project , Your Awnsome APproject :D

Nice Terraining BTW :) , A wish of luck APproject , Hope you release it :)

Level 31
Head is not perfect, it has some flaws, but I guess it is acceptable. :) Yeah, hooves that is. I don't think I can make those legs better looking than it is right now, I might just screw it up. However, goat-like features is the part of greek mythology, known as satyrs. Even though it doesn't go much with Hades, but I guess it won't ruin it.

Level 31
Horns? Hades is actually formed as human, so I tried making the face as humanish as I can, yet still hooves might remain, so I guess horns would just mislead even further.

Satyrs aren't really dark-like so I guess I can't place them anywhere around, not many good models of them as well, but a few. But I remember some dark-like satyr around the internet, perhaps I might add a boss or NPC, not sure yet.

Thanks. :)

Decided to play with model editting and came up with Hades. This is edited Archimonde model. Mainly changed the skin, changed the shape of the head into more humanish one and added blue fire on top of the head.

vX1AtQi.png

I think it actually looks silly, It looks nothing like a real hades from mythology. Besides, other characters look more realistic- I don't think he will get along in the style that other character are made. I see where you got the inspiration, blue fire on top of his head, pale blue skin color and no hair. It actually represents the Disney character "Hades" from Hercules animated movie.
hercules_disney_14.png

Level 31
Thanks, CroMoX.

This is warcraft, I chose him to represent power and not shape him as exactly as true mythology shows:

Hades-God-Of-The-Underworld-Mythology.jpg
hades-02.jpg

Would you like him to look like this bearded guy? Because that's how real Hades should be. I don't think other characters looks more realistic and I am certain this will do just fine. Actually I didn't aim to represent him as that guy, but when I got him pale and bald, I realised I could add the fire so it looks like that animated one. Wasn't my first intention, but in the long run I went for that look. :)

Level 31
It doesn't look like real Hades indeed, but nothing does in warcraft. I would just have to pick ordinary human model with a stick and give him a strong voice. Visuals would suffer, so why not to make Hades big and powerful as so much of 2D artists shows Hades today. Odd look is just a cherry on a pie in my opinion.

Level 14
I personally like your representation of Hades. That was a nice idea editing the Archimonde model. You should see what you can come up with for Cerberus (sp?) The three headed dog that guards the underworld. It could be a good minion to follow Hades around...

It doesn't look like real Hades indeed, but nothing does in warcraft. I would just have to pick ordinary human model with a stick and give him a strong voice. Visuals would suffer, so why not to make Hades big and powerful as so much of 2D artists shows Hades today. Odd look is just a cherry on a pie in my opinion.

Well, the necklace doesn't fit with "Hades". It makes the hades look like some sort of Devil or Satan from the underworld. You should remove it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.