• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Acheron

On which RPG Genre this project should be focused the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Thanks, Veritas. I was looking for Nian model rip, but could not find it, so I guess I will have to edit Core Hound and stay with 2 heads instead of 3. And asking for requests is too painful already.

As for necklace, I was looking for demonic and dark one. However you are right, the star makes it satanish. Maybe I will change it, not sure yet. Thanks for your concerns, Void.

[Q] Shadow Beam - Focuses a traveling shadow beam towards the target point, dealing moderate damage to enemies it hits and marking them. Detonating the marks with abilities deals half the initial damage.

[W] Blackthorn - Creates a small thornfield on the ground that deals a DPS while slowing enemies that step on it.

[E] Soulsphere - Targets an area, knocking enemies up after a short delay and dealing moderate damage while reducing their resistances.

[R] Dark Ascent - Creates one (scaling per level) Hades clone that randomly casts spells at random enemies (prioritizes units under Auto-attack by Hades).

Level 31
I managed to add a third head to Core Houd after all, it looks forced between and beneath two, but decent enough. What I did was took Core Hound, deleted everything except one head, then I adjusted attachment point of another Core Houd and attached the animated head as an attachment. I guess the cheapest way to do.

No, no abilities. Game is just in an early start and at best Hades will be faced in the end IF faced at all. Probably it will be just for cinematics and other effects, not for a fight, just a thought, it might change within time. Some random warrior fighting a God and winning is odd, unless fight is all about outwitting.

Will post Core Hound when done.

EDIT: Done. It looks terrible, can't get any better with Core Hound and my poor modeling skills.

6KVF7hy.png

I completely agree, fighting gods is a complete absurd. That s why they are called gods, I think it should be kept at least that way. I actually find one thing impressive APproject, you certainly add as much detail as you can even for neutral NPC's. :)

Edit: The three-headed dog does truly fit in with the background. Question: will you be able to talk with NPC's? like this:
spells_4330_screenshot.jpg

Level 31
Thanks, Void. :) Well, if those NPCs will be the face of cinematics that I hold essential in story telling, detail is a must, even though detail is not as high quality as we want.

I guess not, gameplay will be more of a dungeon crawler type and not a nerrative RPG, but a good story to follow is a must in any game of course. It would take me tons of time to deal with those dialogues and different path player selects to go, considering a linear game already eats enough.

EDIT: Zeus model is done. Still having some issues, but I might solve it.

3g2ASSM.png

Thanks, Void. :) Well, if those NPCs will be the face of cinematics that I hold essential in story telling, detail is a must, even though detail is not as high quality as we want.

I guess not, gameplay will be more of a dungeon crawler type and not a nerrative RPG, but a good story to follow is a must in any game of course. It would take me tons of time to deal with those dialogues and different path player selects to go, considering a linear game already eats enough.

3g2ASSM.png

I guess you made this from a certain Diablo 3 Barbarian model. You might want to fix the cape and clothing, it is terribly wrapped.

3g2ASSM.png

Nice one man :)

Minor wrap issues as said above but can be fixed.

Level 31
I may give him some lightning sword or spear with a huge golden shield, bet in the later game.

Wrapping is okay, it might be the skin that I adjusted. As for the clothing, it is very sensitive to shading, so it looks that way on the screenshot. Will be cool in game.

I edited Daerone's Uther the Lightbringer model from WcUnderground, as for the head I used Kalogarn's geoset.

EDIT: Done with Thanatos the God of Death model. This is an edited Malganis model. Changed the skin, removed some chunks of armor, hair, horns, remade ears. Just some minor changes as always. Upcoming Ares and Sisyphus.

H3lu1QB.png

Level 31
Doesn't look different from orignal Malganis except for skin and head shape, just minor changes to spice up the environment so that player wouldn't need to see overused models.

About hands, no, it will stay that way, I don't want to screw animations by scaling, because I don't know how to scale with bones.

Currently making Ares, based on human model, it will look simple though.

EDIT: Ares the God of War and Combat. Adjusted skin, added a shoulder, and changed the shape of the helmet into more greekish one.

DsN5PVS.png

EDIT 2: Done with Sisyphus the King of Ephyra, just changed the skin.

FLKZ2YW.png

Last edited:
Level 16
Are you adding Poseidon as well? Coincidentally he is the bad-assest of Greek Mythology, considering he has power over a main element.
And a question; Will we only be 'talking' with these gods, or are we to fight any of them at all?. It'd be cool either way. Preferably the 'light ones' guide you to salvation, while the 'dark ones' make your path traitorous.

Level 14
Thanatos looks awesome! It looks like various of geek mythology gods would make their cameos out.

This is just optional suggestion, but maybe you could recoloring abit of that lemon yellow colored on Zeus' Cloak/robe and on Ares' helm and shoulder into abit darker, as that kind of color would be too bright for your dark themed project concept.

P.S.: Is Zeus from Daerone Uther with Kologarn Head?

You're really good at model editing AProject. The Ares helm could use some lowering though (the red stuff). Some parts in the Ares texture lack definition such as the transition from torso to belt, and the sandals. These are just minor though, I doubt it will be visible in game, but in case you want some cinematics that will view close up.

Level 31
@knight26
Sorry, Poseidon will be absent, I picked certain myth interpretation in which Poseidon has no role.

I am not really sure how it all will be yet, because the way I make maps I do it unpreprared at all. I started this map not having in mind greek mythology at all, hehe. But these questions and suggestions of the future game really puts me on a better path. Fighting a god is a bit odd, I guess it will be more like god fight god for a while. Currently my thoughts spins around mainly having gods on cinematics so that story could be told, familiar to Iceborn.

However, I am thinking about them as quest givers at some point, some really nasty and hard quests, optional of course. For example, God of Death in the later game would ask you to kill your wife that has been your companion and helped / healed / resurrected / talked with you entire game, just to satisfy his thirsts for the "taste of death". I had this thought yesturday, a spoiler I guess if this quest makes it. :)

Since this is dark-themed map, dark gods might be met more oftently. I am shaping the story already, but not completely yet. Ares the God of War and the son of Zeus will be a bad guy at start, he will make a deal with Thanatos, because Ares grows frustrated due to all of peace around the world and lack of casualities of war. Just a sneak peek to the storyline.

@andreariona
Thank you. :) I kinda want it to be bright, because when these bright gods will appear in the darkness, everything will become extremely light in there, hehe. Also, the bright ones might be seen mainly in cinematics if not only in cinematics while dark ones might be met during the game. That's my current plans, but who knows how it will go since my method of making map is based on impromptu.

Yes, exactly, Daerone's Uther with Kologarn's head. :) I asked for Daerone's permission and it was given.

@CakeMaster
Thanks. No worries, it looks all good in game. The hair of the helm is actually perfect. It is based on true looks of ancient greek helmets, it do have high hair on top and lowered on the end.

Currently done with characters making, I may make more if I happen to be in need of them.

@knight26
Sorry, Poseidon will be absent, I picked certain myth interpretation in which Poseidon has no role.

I am not really sure how it all will be yet, because the way I make maps I do it unpreprared at all. I started this map not having in mind greek mythology at all, hehe. But these questions and suggestions of the future game really puts me on a better path. Fighting a god is a bit odd, I guess it will be more like god fight god for a while. Currently my thoughts spins around mainly having gods on cinematics so that story could be told, familiar to Iceborn.

However, I am thinking about them as quest givers at some point, some really nasty and hard quests, optional of course. For example, God of Death in the later game would ask you to kill your wife that has been your companion and helped / healed / resurrected / talked with you entire game, just to satisfy his thirsts for the "taste of death". I had this thought yesturday, a spoiler I guess if this quest makes it. :)

Since this is dark-themed map, dark gods might be met more oftently. I am shaping the story already, but not completely yet. Ares the God of War and the son of Zeus will be a bad guy at start, he will make a deal with Thanatos, because Ares grows frustrated due to all of peace around the world and lack of casualities of war. Just a sneak peek to the storyline.

@andreariona
Thank you. :) I kinda want it to be bright, because when these bright gods will appear in the darkness, everything will become extremely light in there, hehe. Also, the bright ones might be seen mainly in cinematics if not only in cinematics while dark ones might be met during the game. That's my current plans, but who knows how it will go since my method of making map is based on impromptu.

Yes, exactly, Daerone's Uther with Kologarn's head. :) I asked for Daerone's permission and it was given.

@CakeMaster
Thanks. No worries, it looks all good in game. The hair of the helm is actually perfect. It is based on true looks of ancient greek helmets, it do have high hair on top and lowered on the end.

Currently done with characters making, I may make more if I happen to be in need of them.

Will.. the titans from the Tartarus appear? Kronos? Kronos is the father of the the gods such as Zeus. He was locked up and imprisoned in Tartarus when the gods : Zeus, Poseidon, Hades managed to defeat him. Another question would be, will you start on earth at the game start? Or will you already be spawned in the underworld? I' have to say that I would be disappointed if you already started in the underworld. It would be much better and epic -plot-wise to decent into the underworld from the above. You should also feature more areas rather than only the underworld. I can guarantee that the player will get bored if the underworld - tile-set continues from beginning to the end. Diablo 1 made that mistake, Dragon Age 2 made that mistake and lots of other games made the same mistake: areas were the same. There was no diversity in atmosphere. They only had different enemies and events, please make the game a little diversive and impressive: by creating more locations such as Earth, Mount Olympus, Underworld and maybe Tartarus. The end result will be fascinating..

Edit: certain areas such as Tartarus or mount Olympus could be entirely used for cinematic's only.

Level 10
Will.. the titans from the Tartarus appear? Kronos? Kronos is the father of the the gods such as Zeus. He was locked up and imprisoned in Tartarus when the gods : Zeus, Poseidon, Hades managed to defeat him. Another question would be, will you start on earth at the game start? Or will you already be spawned in the underworld? I' have to say that I would be disappointed if you already started in the underworld. It would be much better and epic -plot-wise to decent into the underworld from the above. You should also feature more areas rather than only the underworld. I can guarantee that the player will get bored if the underworld - tile-set continues from beginning to the end. Diablo 1 made that mistake, Dragon Age 2 made that mistake and lots of other games made the mistake: areas were the same. There was no diversity in atmosphere. They only had different enemies and events, please make the game a little diversive and impressive: by creating more locations such as Earth, Mount Olympus, Underworld and maybe Tartarus. The end result will be fascinating.. Also: certain areas such as Tartarus or mount Olympus could be used for cinematic's only.

Diablo 1 made the mistake? I really liked the idea of it getting closer to hell, because every few levels it felt more demonic, and creepier

Level 31
I don't know about the Titans, my current myth has no mentioning, yet I am still adding my own ideas to the myth so probably appearance of Titans such as Kronos would do no harm. Will see how story may evolve.

I was thinking about starting the game with cinematic that shows earth, Olympus with Gods talking, maybe a little bit of gameplay at Olympus, but very little, because game itself will be placed in underworld. Cinematics certainly will take place in Olympus, currently with Zeus and Ares discussion, then in the underworld Hades with Thanatos, later on Zeus and Ares would be in underworld. About environment change, no worries, I am not the one who keeps it the same. I can't build the same terrain, because I get bored of it and this way I don't push myself. Iceborn had a bunch of different terrain types even though theme was the same.

The map is called Acheron's Affliction, Acheron is one of the rivers that links underworld, but it is not the one that opens a passage to underworld. River of Acheron will be afflicted by Thanatos after the deal with Ares and Hades, so that a hole opens in Acheron is underworld becomes open for everyone, the dead from the underworld will swarm the earth, but too overwhelming and Ares will understand his wrongs. Zeus of course will oppose Hades and Thanatos. The affliction be will set through Sisyphus, who was damned to be chained in Tartarus and slipped from Thanatos' grasp twice. Sisyphus will be inflicted and chained in the deeps of Tartarus, the hole in Acheron will be open as long as Sisyphus draws breath lying chained in Tartarus. Affliction will have to be removed. Because of affliction immortals, the deathless gods may not be able to enter Tartarus. That's how much of story I have currently.

Underworld will consist of 3 parts, Erebus, Asphodel Meadows and Tartarus, each will have different atmosphere and you will enter each of these areas one after another.

I really do not wish to make a long game, because it would take me two years to complete, since studies begins next month. I will try to bring quality game, but short enough. Iceborn is good few hours game at least, yet it took me 1 year and 4 months to make.

I don't know about the Titans, my current myth has no mentioning, yet I am still adding my own ideas to the myth so probably appearance of Titans such as Kronos would do no harm. Will see how story may evolve.

I was thinking about starting the game with cinematic that shows earth, Olympus with Gods talking, maybe a little bit of gameplay at Olympus, but very little, because game itself will be placed in underworld. Cinematics certainly will take place in Olympus, currently with Zeus and Ares discussion, then in the underworld Hades with Thanatos, later on Zeus and Ares would be in underworld. About environment change, no worries, I am not the one who keeps it the same. I can't build the same terrain, because I get bored of it and this way I don't push myself. Iceborn had a bunch of different terrain types even though theme was the same.

The map is called Acheron's Affliction, Acheron is one of the rivers that links underworld, but it is not the one that opens a passage to underworld. River of Acheron will be afflicted by Thanatos after the deal with Ares and Hades, so that a hole opens in Acheron is underworld becomes open for everyone, the dead from the underworld will swarm the earth, but too overwhelming and Ares will understand his wrongs. Zeus of course will oppose Hades and Thanatos. The affliction be will set through Sisyphus, who was damned to be chained in Tartarus and slipped from Thanatos' grasp twice. Sisyphus will be inflicted and chained in the deeps of Tartarus, the hole in Acheron will be open as long as Sisyphus draws breath lying chained in Tartarus. Affliction will have to be removed. Because of affliction immortals, the deathless gods may not be able to enter Tartarus. That's how much of story I have currently.

Underworld will consist of 3 parts, Erebus, Asphodel Meadows and Tartarus, each will have different atmosphere and you will enter each of these areas one after another.

I really do not wish to make a long game, because it would take me two years to complete, since studies begins next month. I will try to bring quality game, but short enough. Iceborn is good few hours game at least, yet it took me 1 year and 4 months to make.

Well, game developers that contain 10-20 people can make a huge game in approximately one year or even less. Most publishing companies set a time-limit on the game developing process. Developers also tend to rush things and thats how bugs, glitches and errors come-in. Game publishers set a date and a time-limit, but you have no time-limit. You can keep making this game without any restrictions[Game Publishers tend to restrict some content of the game, have the developers change it or even cut it from the final product]. Since you are a single person making this game[map], it can even take up to two or three maximum. You should recruit people. :/

Level 31
Thank you for your concerns, A Void, but I would not recruit people, because a trustworthy person is really rare. Got burnt many times when people accept to voice act, also suffered lots of failures of being a team member. It would actually take me even more of time. Another thing, quality is essential. Not to boast, but very few people around the Hive (for example Sverkerman) would give the quality I need. I really dislike saying bad things to people that I know or if they are trying to help me, so if they literally do shit, it is hard for me to say no. What is more, I prefer keeping all of the things in control and work individually, so I guess I will keep it as it is just to avoid more of the problems, keeping game as short as I can.

Facing a massive problem at the moment. Computer and Display Driver keeps crashing hard because of huge Wyrmrest model I used for mount Olympus. For this reason I became limited with the looks of the mountain. I had to reduce the looks beneath the mountain to the minimum. Work in progress below. I want to show more of the earth, but can't because of this. Earth picture is taken from Google Maps, 500 meters far from Greece itself, different camera angle reveals more of Earth because of clouds model. This is the peak of the Olympus, upper part. There also will be the lower part of the Olympus.

A5DghnE.png

Level 14
That is just the BEST idea I've ever seen! What a perfect way to get a feeling of really being thousands of feet high. I really hope you can get it to work properly. It will make for some awe inspiring cinematics I think.

Thank you for your concerns, A Void, but I would not recruit people, because a trustworthy person is really rare. Got burnt many times when people accept to voice act, also suffered lots of failures of being a team member. It would actually take me even more of time. Another thing, quality is essential. Not to boast, but very few people around the Hive (for example Sverkerman) would give the quality I need. I really dislike saying bad things to people that I know or if they are trying to help me, so if they literally do shit, it is hard for me to say no. What is more, I prefer keeping all of the things in control and work individually, so I guess I will keep it as it is just to avoid more of the problems, keeping game as short as I can.

Facing a massive problem at the moment. Computer and Display Driver keeps crashing hard because of huge Wyrmrest model I used for mount Olympus. For this reason I became limited with the looks of the mountain. I had to reduce the looks beneath the mountain to the minimum. Work in progress below. I want to show more of the earth, but can't because of this. Earth picture is taken from Google Maps, 500 meters far from Greece itself, different camera angle reveals more of Earth because of clouds model. This is the peak of the Olympus, upper part. There also will be the lower part of the Olympus.

A5DghnE.png

I actually hate those clouds, they are too blocky, you should do something about it, they cut the other objects when blocked. Certainly you could make them more transparent too, maybe a little. You should cut large models into small parts, it is just more effective to do so. Also, too many clouds it feels a bit unrealistic now.. It looks like someone just dropped a gas explosive.. Make the earth a little bigger, I mean more of the parts of it to be seen. On the other hand it is very neat idea, good work.

Edit: Cut large models such as the rock mountain into pieces that can be placed manually. It will optimize the game greatly, since War3 has a limit of polies to be shown on the screen at a time. Else it will show strange graphic glitches.

Level 31
Thanks. :)

As for the clouds, I may apply Blizzard sky so clouds will merge with sky leaving only the hole for Earth and it may look fine. I can't make it transparent, because the Black will be seen since I can't put more of Earth due to that problem. I actually cut the scene of Olympus into 3 parts, upper level, lower level and the whole Olympus, yet still reducing vertex of the Temple would be best, but all geosets are linked and I can't just cut a half. :(

Earth picture is taken from Google Maps, 500 meters far from Greece itself, different camera angle reveals more of Earth because of clouds model. This is the peak of the Olympus, upper part. There also will be the lower part of the Olympus.

A5DghnE.png
Pretty sweet. I like the cloud choice, nothing a sky can't blend I'd say :)

Thanks. :)

As for the clouds, I may apply Blizzard sky so clouds will merge with sky leaving only the hole for Earth and it may look fine. I can't make it transparent, because the Black will be seen since I can't put more of Earth due to that problem. I actually cut the scene of Olympus into 3 parts, upper level, lower level and the whole Olympus, yet still reducing vertex of the Temple would be best, but all geosets are linked and I can't just cut a half. :(

Just in-case you need, I have uploaded some sky-boxes, they are more of high quality than the standard blizzard. Please just use some other clouds, you can find most of them in the UTM [Ultimate Terraining Map]. You can always cut the Olympus into small clutter parts such as archways, walls and ground. This way you will be able to use them in maximum quality without any lag or graphical glitches. Warcraft III handles lots of clutter pretty well, but it cant handle one large pile of objects in a single .mdx without lagging or glitching. I also have a suggestion for you to use the alpha-tile, it will make the ground tiles transparent so that your sky can be visible under the ground. It creates an illusion sort of. You should also use Tobyfat50's light engine.

As for the clouds, well he could use the blended variation found in UTM 4. They won't be so bright though.

I'd also advice to reduce the Z scale of the clouds a bit.

DISADVANTAGES

Unfortunately, this method has a small glitch, Fog does not display on additive materials so u have to be careful when using this technique.

Also that /\

Last edited:
I talked to toby one time about THAT! It requires serious modelling skills to make it work.

As for the clouds, well he could use the blended variation found in UTM 4. They won't be so bright though.

No it does not require serious modelling skills, even I did that on my Warhammer 40,000 The Aspect, you just create an additive layer to all materials. If it is still hard enough then I suggest to look into the tutorial link I gave. Even a child could do that..

Clouds# yes that could work. :)

Level 31
A Void, once again you present a truly valuable information. I will cut the model into a bunch of pieces and then stick it to one. Oh dear, this will take time considering model is a monster. I hope this method going to solve the problem.

As for the clouds, I will look for a better model as you guys suggested.

A Void, once again you present a truly valuable information. I will cut the model into a bunch of pieces and then stick it to one. Oh dear, this will take time considering model is a monster. I hope this method going to solve the problem.

As for the clouds, I will look for a better model as you guys suggested.

I am glad I can help, yeah those clouds don't do any justice to Olympus.

Level 31
I tried to, but addiction can be just replaced with another addiction that I have not found yet. :)

More dope screenshots, more of Upper Olympus sights with better clouds, more of Earth display and few urns models as an addition to the looks. I do not wish to overload this scene with more doodads just to keep it lag-free.

I know, clouds still looks overwhelming and I am not using any sky box, because it screws my Display Driver once it is scaled up, plus it brings other problems. But I am really satisfied with the result. Looks really cool when image is small scaled.

RBLsUfy.png

ygILVeD.png

se1Ld3e.png

Wow! Just.. wow! It looks very awesome and creative. As for the clouds they look much better, [you sent me pm about it]. You should lower the count of those brighter clouds that are next to the Olympus structure. Tough a few things needs fixing, those pillars are very unsecure, they are too close to the ramp- some are even half placed at the ramps. Since this is a large structure on a mountain I suggest you to add mountain doodad [rock, granite] half way up in the sky. You should experiment with fog and make it even more outstanding. And a little suggestion, you should add fire at the very base of those arch-pillars.

I wonder how you did the ground below. :D

2D Plate Models, it was an image cut into 4 or 8 parts and converted into .mdx. It can also be a single image converted into .mdx, in the editor they were properly placed and clouds were added to hide the black areas where the image ends. It also is possible that this is a sky-box with alpha tile, the alpha tile shows trough the ground. Then you can place clouds manually..
The most easiest way to do this would be the sky-box method with the alpha tile.

Level 31
Thanks, guys. :)

I see your point, A Void. I can not put rocks there, because this is just an upper part of Olympus, meaning there will be another structure below this nad clouds are for an illusion it goes far beneath it. Fog is quite complicated with those clouds, but I'll try applying larger distance between Start and End and see what happens. Exactly, some fires ontop of the pillars would do lots of good. :)

And of couse I did all the terrain and world beneath Olympus and then just zoomed it out really far. :) Hehe, A Void was right. I took few images of 512x512, applied to a flat model, joined it and lowered beneath groud level, then everything around it was carefully hidden with clouds.

Level 16
I tried to, but addiction can be just replaced with another addiction that I have not found yet. :)

More dope screenshots, more of Upper Olympus sights with better clouds, more of Earth display and few urns models as an addition to the looks. I do not wish to overload this scene with more doodads just to keep it lag-free.

I know, clouds still looks overwhelming and I am not using any sky box, because it screws my Display Driver once it is scaled up, plus it brings other problems. But I am really satisfied with the result. Looks really cool when image is small scaled.

RBLsUfy.png

ygILVeD.png

se1Ld3e.png

I am crying right now.

Level 31
Thank you for your tears, GunSlinger. :)

PROXY completed a model request concerning the texture quality of the book and he did a truly good job. He also made another animation for the book to make turning pages more realistic. Here is the new cover comparison with the old one.

kdSomNA.png

Status
Not open for further replies.