• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.28 Graphic Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I heard there were graphic changes in 1.28, is that true? I haven't seen every single model but I'm not noticing any difference.

Level 11
They changed the game to use windowed fullscreen by default and added an aspect ratio checkbox in the graphics options.

Personally, I hope they don't touch the game's graphics. After seeing the horrors of the updated WoW player models, I'm very pessimistic as to blizz's ability to update older graphics.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Personally, I hope they don't touch the game's graphics. After seeing the horrors of the updated WoW player models, I'm very pessimistic as to blizz's ability to update older graphics.
While I agree that I want Wc3 models to stay the same, I'm surprised at your statement about WoW graphics. I thought everyone liked those; they are pretty cool. :<

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I agree that models shouldn't be changed. The WC3 models they made for SC2 gave me traumas.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I liked them... Just not for Warcraft. Like, I'm fine with a separate "Warcraft Remastered", if you will, but making that the new 'normal' by incorporating them all into the main game would, among other issues, effectively invalidate +80% of the current custom models.

Level 11
Are you serious? The updated WoW player models were amazing.
Yes. I'll note I was playing almost exclusively gnomes in WoW, which got the worst of it. Turned from cute and perky to lumpy and bug-eyed. The later models they updated (blood elves, dranaei) turned out okay if not better in my opinion. The new animations were pretty universally awful though; people don't bounce up and down when walking or running. Also Blizz's artists ever since wrath of the lich king add waaaaay too much detail and undervalue simplicity and subtlety in their designs, along with seemingly forgetting wacraft's saturated colors and cartoony style that defined it since wc2.

Sometimes I think people just see higher polygon count and texture resolution. Those raise potential and versatility of your art, but don't add anything inherently.

Thankfully in wc3, even worst case, I can just import the old models and textures over any new ones. I still played WoW when my character model looked how I wanted on my screen, but there was always the niggling knowledge that other people saw me as a hideous abomination. Won't have that problem with my wc3 maps.

Level 11
Even aside from subjectivity, the difference was significant, and my transmogs pretty much universally did not look right on the new models. I had the unfortuante experience of my settings occasionally being reset and seeing my characters' outfits with the new models, and they looked quite different on them.

Low res stuff has the advantage of having room for interpretation. Those big polygons or pixels can represent different things depending on how you interpret it. Obviously my anime-esque interpretation of the old models was not shared by the new artists, who saw some weird lumpy lawn gnome style.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Oh yeah I didn't take it into account that SC:R graphics enhancement is toggleable. If they really bothered with something like that for possible WC3:R I could stand the model ruining (because I could switch back to the good ol' ones). But I don't even want WC3:R, instead tweaks to WC3 would fare, like more JASS functions (missile/stats/UI functions come to mind) and polishing (they already did the Documents - folder usage transition, *amazing* windowed fullscreen with correct proportion 4:3, more sensible map size limit and JASS2 syntax check without extensive map save), e.g. reduce arrow key delay (I heard it's synced among all players, but it's present in SP also).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
No one's* making Starcraft sprites nowadays. Yet we have a to-this-day active modeling/texturing community. Having a Wc3:R in the same way would be 'neat', but I fear it would still choke the life out of things (because people would be clamoring for this 'new standard' of high-poly/res models/textures).

Also, like jondrean, I'd rather have all those kinds of under-the-hood goodies, rather than get art involved with all this (to an extent**). If they went the ":R" route, all of a sudden what are we looking at? Months? Years? Artists take a while. ; )

*citation needed
**except for a new neutral Tavern hero. I'm totally on board with some artists gettin' crackin' on that nut(s). : D

Level 11
Yet we have a to-this-day active modeling/texturing community. Having a Wc3:R in the same way would be 'neat', but I fear it would still choke the life out of things (because people would be clamoring for this 'new standard' of high-poly/res models/textures).
Yeah I'd be kinda afraid of that too. Creative communities can be poisoned by having too high a standard of sophistication.

I'm not sure about a game-wide toggle. IMO the ideal would be a map-specific toggle; old maps made before update would use the old models, new maps would default to using the new models, and updated old maps could toggle on the new models. Melee of course would use the new stuff.

The game already has some "updated" models from the switch from RoC to TFT. The same or a similar system could be used for remastered models.

Status
Not open for further replies.