• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I came up with two beast race ideas.

The first I can't do because of a lack of imports (specifically I was going to do a Panda race)

The second one I am doing and will be beast, but is going to be very hard to balance because it won't be anything like the other races in this game.

Level 26
Polar Alliance? Lol I guess I am not going to be the Arachnid Alliance, oh well. I got to start planning mine out, lol procrastination is fun. MSB, your done!?
Not at all. I have most of my unit ideas thought out, but then comes making the upgrades and stats. Considering my knowledge of stats is the equivalent to my knowledge of why people laugh at dane cook, i'm really looking forward to that part.

Level 14
This sounds like a fun contest. I have no experience in this sort of thing but I think I might give it a shot. Opened up the WE and looked through the mpq files. I had a couple cool ideas. Goblins was one of them but there just aren't enough units who look like goblins (but there are alot of towers that would work for them) so I ruled them out. I had a cool idea for a goblin tower though. The goblin merchant has a hidden (not really hidden but rarely used or at least rarely noticed) animation where a goblin runs out of one tower and into the other. I thought it would be funny to have the tower chuck suicidal goblin bombs :D Rushing from one tower of explosives to the next to be launched by an infernal goblin slingshot!

Ultimately though (well I still might change my mind) I came up with a dragon race. The main bulding would be the dragon roost and would fly up (like treants rooting out of the ground) and be able to slowly fly to another area. I could probably use the Druid of the Claw's bear transformation to do that. And some of the units could devour their lesser breahtren to become stronger (I would use the archer mount to do this). The main thing is balancing. I cant get TOO carried away. So I will study the other races and test it out alot.

Ultimately though (well I still might change my mind) I came up with a dragon race. The main bulding would be the dragon roost and would fly up (like treants rooting out of the ground) and be able to slowly fly to another area. I could probably use the Druid of the Claw's bear transformation to do that. And some of the units could devour their lesser breahtren to become stronger (I would use the archer mount to do this).

For the main building, couldn't you just use the stuff how the tree of life moves and such?

And the devouring of units, seems a bit harsh but it's your race, but what about the Eat Tree ability configured to target friendly units?

And are you going to be using dragonspawn or not?

Level 14
For the main building, couldn't you just use the stuff how the tree of life moves and such?

And the devouring of units, seems a bit harsh but it's your race, but what about the Eat Tree ability configured to target friendly units?

And are you going to be using dragonspawn or not?

I couldnt do that with the main building because the tree of life model uses alternat animations. Dragonroost has like 3 or 4 animations. I will need to use crowform to make up for it.

The devouring units thing was just sort of an idea I got from protoss from starcraft. The zealots could converge into an archon (I dont know if that completely correct... been a while since I played). Thats what I want to do in a sense. Devouring just seemed more dragonlike.

Yes of course I am using dragonspawn. Just dragons alone would be boring.

Level 1
I wonder if anyone could tell me whether we are allowed to change gameplay constants. Just to raise max speed to 522 and add heroes and hall tiers into gameplay lists.

The devouring units thing was just sort of an idea I got from protoss from starcraft. The zealots could converge into an archon (I dont know if that completely correct... been a while since I played). Thats what I want to do in a sense. Devouring just seemed more dragonlike.

Yes of course I am using dragonspawn. Just dragons alone would be boring.

Although I want to argue and say that dragons aren't cannibals, it's your race so you go ahead and do what you want.

Although I'd say the dragons and dragonspawn are two different species, as one has four legs and two arms, the other has four legs and two wings.

Level 32
So just one question should it be specificly as the normal ones or would it be allowed only to have one hero aviable for the race, if you balance the units according to it?
Exactly. Contestants have plenty of freedom as to how best to develop their race. Ballance is an important consideration.
I wonder if anyone could tell me whether we are allowed to change gameplay constants. Just to raise max speed to 522 and add heroes and hall tiers into gameplay lists.
Sorry: that wasn't specified in the rules and it's far too late to change them now.

No editing of the Gameplay Constants will be permitted.

Level 1
Thx for answer. It´s a pity, though, because there is a tavern on the contest map. I doubt neutral heroes would be functional for any custom race without altering the constants. :(

Level 35
Well this is going smothly
Made half of the buildings and units today. Wrote down the idea and got a hold on it. Also made the race history.

Race: Golden Saints
Based from: Undead mixed with other races
Theme: Gold!
So far perfectly balanced with wc3 judging from a pc playing the map killed me one time, I killed one time, but then it isnt finished so still part undead.

Lots of new ideas I surely hope, and things made with model editor that I actualy didnt believed you could do.

Combines the dark blightet ground (callled gold Soil in map) with the golden buildings.

Race History:
For many many years ago, a powerful wizard was in boredom trying to create gold from nothing. One day his entiry tower exploded, it was gone from earths surface. But the wizards results wasnt, he had accidently created a kind of living gold, which only had one thing in mind, power!
After spending 3 years spying on the humans, the living gold learned about war and war tactics, they also begun to design war units, using their unik conection with gold. There main power is their Golden Toxic.
The world would be in their hands soon, if it wasnt for the cost of gold.
Humans and others prepare!

Its 25% done. Now, I can tell a little more about my techtree.

Race: Doomstorm Legion
Based: Demons, Orcs, Humans, Magic Creatures...
Race History: One Thousand years ago, an Eredar Warlock obsessed by power had the idea of creating an army strong enough to conquer the whole outland. This army started basicaly with Bloodfiends and Undeads, but, as he gained more territory, it growed mighty...

"This army will bring a storm of pain and chaos for who doesnt obey my command, it will be called Doomstorm Legion...."

So, the Doomstorm Legion raided everything of the outland, conquering half of the world of draenor into his feet.

But, someday, a group of assasins of a Draenei resistance entered the Black Citadel and killed the Warlock.

Without a leader, the control of the Doomstorm Legion was spliten by the Warlords(heroes), and now, the legion has come to world of azeroth, to start a new empire...

Units:

Nerloc Slave (worker unit)
Nerloc is a dark creature that lives in the deeps of the Dungeons of Haladar.
These stupid, but tough creatures are perfect workers, they obey unquestioning theyr masters.
Can harvest gold and lumber, build structures, and Repair. Can also be executed by your units to be eaten, healing the hit points of your combat units

Bloodfiend Trooper (primary melee attack unit)
Bloodfiends are brutish demon warriors. Theyr spears make them exelent melee combat units.

Orc Raider (secondary melee attack unit)
Brutish orc that rides lonely over these lands with his warwolf. His magic flaming blade is effective against melee units, but takes extra damage from ranged units.

Zor'gul Javelin (ranged unit)
Zor'gul are very agile creatures. His slow but strong ranged attack makes him an exelent suport unit. Has low hit points, but a high regeneration.

Golem (siege unit)
Massive rock creature that throws giant boulders at enemy units and structures from a long range.

Juggernaut (champion)
Mighty giant of the mountains. High HP, has the Cleaving Attack and Bash abilities, and is efective against buildings. This is an oponent that must be taken seriously.

Human Slayer (stealth unit)
Once brave human knights, they had theyr homelands destroyed by the legion. Initialy, they fighted in name of the Doomstorm Legion as slaves, but now, theyr earths was consumed by the evil and ambision. Today, they are elite troopers, they are completely invisible.

More info coming soon.

Level 1
Oh my...
I made a first serious test of my race today. I couldn´t find any useful Hall models among buildings, so I looked among doodads. I got an idea of a Glacier - small at level one, taller at level two and very tall at level 3.
But a problem came. When i tested the race, i ran the map, clicked the Glacier and the Game crashed. Just crashed - no error reports.
Does anyone know what could i have done wrong?

Level 10
Rotting Tide

Well, here's the new race's techtree... Now I just have to finish the race ingame :p
Rotting Tide:

Rotting Core: As the building that stores the crystal keeping every undead moving in the vicinity, this building is the center of every Tide base.
-Trains Raisers, Sentrys, Carrion Carriers, Researches Upgrades.
-Upgrades into Defiled Core-

Defiled Core: As the crystal is raised outside the building, it can radiate it's powers much stronger, allowing advanced units to be made.
-Trains Raisers, Sentrys, Carrion Carriers, Wraiths Researches Upgrades.
-Upgrades into Unholy Core-

Unholy Core: Charging the crystal with the souls of the damned, the Core reaches it's pinnacle of power, allowing the usage of the strongest units and abilites.
-Trains Raisers, Sentrys, Carrion Carriers, Wraiths Researches Upgrades.

Mass Grave: Dead have been dumped into holes and covered up since man knew war. Uncovering these graves allows an almost unending supply of corpses.
-Creates a corpse every few seconds.

Raided Tomb: Old tombs that have been lost for eons hold items of great power...
-Sells items

Altar of Death: This shard connects this land with the center of the Tide's power, summoning powerful horrors from beyond the grave.
-Summons heroes.

Sentry: These magicly imbuned stones serve the Tide by scouting out enemy positions. After a Defiled Core has been built, a sentry can strengthen itself into a Wathcer.
-Upgrades into Watcher-

Wathcer: Watchers are the first line of defence against any enemies that attack a Tide base. Basicly, this is the defensive tower of the Rotting Tide.
(Requires Defiled Core)

Carrion Carrier: These crude contraptions were initally made to keep the corpses, but they were soon changed for recource storage puproses aswell. With a core fragment, every Carrion Carrior is able to raise four zombies to do manual labor.
-Summons zombies, gathers corpses, stores recourses.

Zombie: These rotting bodies are brainless contraptions, created only to gather recourses and build buildings.
- Builds Rotting Core, Mass Grave, Raided Tomb, Altar of Death.

Raiser: The only living in the Tide's army, these dark sorcerers are the key to building an army. Using their dark powers, they raise the dead, and connect their lifeforce with a core. After a core has reached its storngest state, two raisers can call forth a Necropolic Avius, sacrificint themselves in the proces.
- Raises Dead, Summons Necropolic Avius

Skeleton: As the most basic soldier in the Rotting Tide, the skeleton, while not storing alone, it can overwhelm enemies in big groups.
-Upgrades into Skeleton Archer, or Skeletal Brute-

Skeleton Archer: Armed with a bow and arrows, these archers can deal damage from a distance, but are killed quickly in close range.
(Requires Defiled Core)
-Uprgades into Burning Archer-

Burning Arhcer: Enchanted with ever-burning flames, these arhcers are even more devestating.
(Requires Unholy Core)

Skeletal Brute: Reinforced with greater magic, the skeletal brutes are much stronger then basic skeletons.
(Requires Defiled Core)
-Upgrades into Flesh Fiend

Flesh Fiend: Imbuning the ultimate power of the Unholy Core, these creatures live for destruction!
(Requires Unholy Core)

Wraith: As malicous ghosts, these undead creatures do everything in their power to show their pain to anyone close enough to be in their deadly range.
(Requires Defiled Core)
- Casts curse, petrify, and haunt.

Necropolic Avius: Two raisers can preform a ceremony, sacrificing themselves along the way, but giving the Tide a deadly weapon. The Necropolic Avius is a flying citadel, housing four Avians, and fireing three deadly bolts at closeby enemies.
(Requires Unholy Core)
- Summons Avians

Avian: These creatures are made of living stone, and their lifeforce is bound to the Necropolic Avius that summoned them.

Attachments

• Techtree.jpg
    Techtree.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 396
Level 35
Necropolic Avius: Two raisers can preform a ceremony, sacrificing themselves along the way, but giving the Tide a deadly weapon. The Necropolic Avius is a flying citadel, housing four Avians, and fireing three deadly bolts at closeby enemies.
(Requires Unholy Core)
- Summons Avians

Avian: These creatures are made of living stone, and their lifeforce is bound to the Necropolic Avius that summoned them.

interrested in how you want to make this without using triggers, only with object editor... but well you may need to configure that idea a little, but else nice idea!

Off-Topic: Post 600! :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 10
Well heres my new demonic race for the contest! Heres my story for them :
After the fall of burning legion, many dreadlords still left alive but they died by sylvanas. Only one left called Varimathras. He escaped from sylvanas' wrath and gathered the remaining forces of burning legion from hell. He and his recruited demons want to finish the work of Archimonde and conquer earth once and for all.
Units:
Demon Slave: A succubus who does your gathering jobs. They were once used to fight but after years passed, they became weak and now they are used to summon main demonic buildings and gather resources for Legion of Varimathras.
Demon Scout: The one and only scouting unit for Legion. They are fast, agile and have true sight but they are so vulnerable to any attack.
Demon Warrior: As the same as demon slaves, they were used to fight once for Burning Legion, now they are weak and used as a weak defense of Legion of Varimathras. Has Cleaving Attack.
Demoness: The newest generation of demon forces are now ladies. They are the main ranged support force for Legion of Varimathras. They spit splashing flames to their enemies.
Pit Lord: These brutes were always strong and ages past and they still strong as they were. Has Cleaving Attack and Scream of Pain ( needs research ) abilities.
Infernal Machine: Main siege unit for Legion of Varimathras. They use chaos bolts for ground units which does chaos damage and uses burning flames on buildings to do siege damage.
Nether Beast: Main air support for LoV(legion of varimathras bored of typing it long.:xxd:). They are also the main defense against air units. These strange creatures can be spawned at Hall of Beasts. Can learn Beastial Veins upgrade to increase hp regeneration.
Lightning Mage: The soulless wizards of LoV. They were living as an alone race with their revenant friends before ages but now some of their lightning revenants joined to LoV. These wizards cast forked lightning(so small damage), Positive Voltage and Negative Voltage if all trainings are completed.
Demon Sorceror: Curse mages of LoV. As the same as lightning mages, they were once living together as Eredars, but now they joined to LoV to conquer the earth. They cast Finger of Pain, Potion of Poison and Summon Zombies if all upgrades are completed.
Dementors: These strange robed wizards prefer to use ice magic instead of fire like all the demon wizards do, they should be in any demon army. They have Freezing Blast, Frost Armor and Freeze if all upgrades are completed.
Diablo: The strongest beast of all. These foul creatures are the real power of LoV. They can be used on sieges and air-to-ground attacks. The weakness of them are they are so vulnerable to air attacks. They need Advanced Air Creatures Upgrade researched to be trained.
Ignist: A real hell-born creature. These beasts are your best ranged support. They got immolation but need Enable Immolation Upgrade researched.
Hell Fire Demon: Best ground force of LoV. They need Advanced Ground Creatures ugrade researched to be summoned. They take a lotsof time to be summoned as well as food and money but really worth it.
Summoner: This cultist is here only to summon one single building which is the heart of army of LoV, the spirit circle. It contains the Adv.Air Creatures and Adv. Ground Creatures upgrades.
There are many stuff but thats all I can type now hope you liked it :grin: By the way this race is so balanced that is weak against humans and nightelves but orcs can't do much against them.

Level 10
Yea but it continues the story of frozen throne, where varimathras was on control of sylvanas, but he escaped and made his own legion to complete the taks of archimonde. Couldn't find a better one though :) oh by the way its not another burning legion its Legion of Varimathars :D

Level 9
I now present you
The Polar Alliance

The Polar Alliance where formed long before Ner'zul came to power.
They had been in war with the Nerubians for ages.
But when they noticed the every growing threat of Ner'zuls army.
They puted down there old hatred to each other and helped there new
breathren againts the new threat.

After the defeat of Azjol-Nerub, they all went underground and waited for
an oppertunity to strike back at a later moment.
They have been used hit and run tactic ever since becourse they aren't
strong enough to meet Ner'zuls army in open field.

Units:

Penguin Slave: The fundation of the polar alliance, small fragile creatures, often used as cannon fodder or to detect hidden traps. But are mostly used as builders.

More will be reveal at a later moment

Level 26
My race is light elves (accompanied by a few dark elves). Basic idea based on norse mythology while looking around on wikipedia. Won't say units now, though i'm sure i made most of them.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
All the ideas seem cool. Anyway my er.. Legion is gonna be Archimonde's Legion during the Third War. :infl_thumbs_up:
Its specialties will be: brute strength, strong magic attacks, and swift teleportation around teh map. Its weak sides will be healing... demons don't heal. The Legion's soldiers range from the classic fel guards and succubi to the corrupted ents and satyr of Felwood. All of them have arisen with one purpose: to cleanse the world of Azeroth of all life...

Level 3
Well this is gonna be my first full-race so might as well make it one that I have always wanted to use...Dark Elves (not Night Elves, but some of the same units).

Level 9
Here is the story of my race:

<<The Magical Union>>

After the conquering of Dalaran the few surviving mages decided to form an alliance against the undead. They sent a powerful magical call across Azeroth and gathered wizards from all over the world. Their mission was to clear their beloved city from the living death. The union uses powerful magic as well as summoned creatures to accomplish its task.

Level 4
Elementals

My race; elementals!! Every element and some more (there arnt that many elements you know) they harvist like night elves and build like undead. This is alot harder then i thought!!!

EDIT AFTER HOURS OF DOING THIS PIECE OF SHIT AND MAKING ALL THE UNITS THE PIECE OF SHIT CRASHED, ALL I DID WAS MAKE THE UNITS IN OBJECT EDITOR AND WHEN I WENT TO SAVE IT CRASHED!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRR

Last edited:
Level 10
Rotting TIde is comming along well, and Im glad to hear there are some others who area also making UD/skely races... More color into the competition!
Dark Elves as in R.A. Salvatore dark elves? That'd be sweet!
Elementals are a good idea, but balancing it might be more annoying then balancing any other race...
The magical union is good, there is one thing I dont undersstand though: Does this mean that the wizards "build" the creature, or will they have buildings?
Out!

When i tested the race, i ran the map, clicked the Glacier and the Game crashed. Just crashed - no error reports.
Does anyone know what could i have done wrong?

That happened once when I clicked on a building on my campaign once. I think it had something to do with my trying to make a gyrocopter (which that building could train) which could use crow form to turn into a seige engine. Of course, that's just what the units were based off of, but still...

Try removing all of the stuff from that building, like trainable units and such. That could be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.