• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #10 - Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I'm trying out a full grayscale environment other than colored blood and powerups. The village will be attacked by subtle waves of an enemy clan, and new skill combos can be acquired as the waves progress.

Level 14
That is really cool so far Tickles! if I would recommend one thing, it would be to add a little bit of stealth at a point, being a ninja!... but ya that grayscale affect is really cool and fits well!

As for me I am setting up the terrain generation and working on some new doodads and models that will work nicely being generated in, like these lava cracks!
(lava model by: HappyTauren and edited a bit to work with the random generation aka moving it down some since i cannot Ctrl page down it in the editor and making it smaller to the size of a tile (64x64) with his approval ^_^, gotta say thanks for the permission to edit it for use in my map! much better lava!)

LavaSmall_zps667943b9.png

(all credits will be there when I am done of course)

Level 10
I was looking into making an entry but the Warcraft 3 AI isn't smart enough to run with the idea (a test in Starcraft 2 was much more enjoyable). Unless Starcraft 2 maps are accepted here (and even then, I'm probably pushing the limits of "survival"), I don't know if I can figure out a new idea for this contest.

Level 21
This has always strictly been a Warcraft 3 contest which is even restricted to only two types of editors (not that there are many other functioning ones anymore). I do agree that Warcraft 3 feels limited in what it can do compared to other programs, but you can most likely solve your problem with just a little extra work.

What's your idea that you're trying to get the AI to do? Maybe you can get some tips here or in the Help Zone. Or if all else fails, play some other Warcraft 3 survival maps for inspiration for another idea :prazz:

Level 14
So, been working on many things for my map including another sky sphere for night time and am currently working on more models for it and trying to make a fire that has a Omnilight that shrinks as the fire does (thinking on just adding multiple lights that just change with different animations for different levels of the fire).

CloudyNightSkySphere_zps7c7ee0ba.png

hows it going for you guys? : )

Level 21
trying to make a fire that has a Omnilight that shrinks as the fire does (thinking on just adding multiple lights that just change with different animations for different levels of the fire).
I wish Warcraft allowed omni lights to shrink with model scaling :pmeh: But yeah, the way you're going to do it will be a cool environmental effect.
hows it going for you guys? : )
Slowly but surely.

Enemies are taking a lot of work to grayscale/set up, so this is just some more testing of skills and effects I worked on recently with a slightly updated environment:

Level 9
Hello!
I would like to participate in the Mini-mapping Contest #10.
I started working on a project more than 2 weeks ago, without knowing about the contest.
Since the rules says that "Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest",this could be a problem, but i would gladly sacrifice even 2 weeks from the developement time, so i would finish my map at January 1 and after this i would not edit the map until the end of the contest!
I don't want to be unfair with the other participants,but if you don't accept this idea i would totally understand...

Cheers!

Level 6
unsure if i need to state interest before the due date, so just in case i'm working on something.

Level 21
You just need to show some progress in the form of a screenshot, video or map sometime before the deadline/before you post your final entry.

And in case anyone didn't notice how long this contest was due to the holidays, there's still almost an entire month left (January 15th).

Map Entry

161106-albums7852-picture92929.jpg

L.O.S.T

v0.1

Lost Over Snowy Taiga

Mysteriously, you wake up on the cold snowy ground in a white forest. You were abducted and thrown into this wilderness with a partial survival kit and a small note which reads 'Survive, and win.'

Up to four players are thrown into a randomly generated snowy taiga complete with a central lake, a few rivers, and variables animals. They must gather resources from the surrounding land and craft items to aid them in being the last one standing. In order to survive the cold environment, animals, and other players you must avoid hazards such as injury, fatigue, starvation, and malnutrition. Standing near a fire warms you up, sleeping removes fatigue, and eating right will keep hunger down and nutrition up. Not only are there other players around trying to survive, but the animals also move around and try to survive.

Animals

There are several species of animals that inhabit the taiga; rabbits, raccoons, owls, wolves, and bears. Some of them hunt others to survive. They will all possess a basic AI for hunting or foraging, keeping together in groups, and growing their ranks. Be wary; wolves and bears can grow to dire sizes capable of taking down a seasoned hunter within a few swipes of their claws.

Rabbits

are one of the smallest animals you will encounter in the snow. They provide some food, and can be tamed and bred for even more food.

Owls

fly over the forest slowly, hunting down rabbits. They can't be caught, but are easy to kill.

Raccoons

scurry around the forest floor scavenging for food beneath the snow.

Wolves

hunt together in a pack, searching for food in rabbit dens and raccoon holes. They are protective over their young but if you can get a cub separated enough from its mother than you might be able to raise it.

Bears

rule the taiga as the apex predator. Being the largest and strongest of the snow dwelling animals they hunt the other land animals, including you. Living in families and protective of their young a bear den is a force to be prepared for.
More info to come!

Attachments

• (4)L.O.S.T v0.1.w3x
    43.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Level 21
Well, my concept is, it will happen in Cataclysm and you'll defend a group of islands from sinking because of the four elementals and their abilities and you will control a shaman with elemental abilities to counter them, I started working let's see if I can finish.
That sounds slightly like rulerofiron99's idea about surviving a rising sea by creating more land to stay on land, but it'll be interesting to see how you incorporate the other elements.
my map is like a GTA Theme or NFS (Need for speed) Theme
but im using a Ship or Boat xD

CHASING STYLE

I dunno if this is fun or not :v
That is pure awesomeness :pcon: Well... that's if you can steal ships GTA style. Need for Naval Speed. Grand Theft Nautical.

Level 25
That sounds slightly like rulerofiron99's idea about surviving a rising sea by creating more land to stay on land, but it'll be interesting to see how you incorporate the other elements.

Basically, mine is about defending islands from sinking, not defending yourself from sinking islands, but yeah, I took inspirations from him and had some features and bugs(yeah, I have the same deformation problems so I guess I will name it The Hour of Twilight and Deathwing may appear) like his.

Level 26
Hi! First VIP.
I'm not sure if this can be counted as a survival game, since it has many different game modes.
The game mode that is survival is "Nightfall", which currently is the least developed one.

Hello again!
Here is the early version of my map: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/before-winter-260674/?prev=status=p

Please check it and tell me your opinions about it! :)
Damnit! I thought I was unique going with arrowkey movement! Anyway, nice to see that someone else does it. Cool map, man! :)

Click the picture to get to map download!

Level 21
Aw, we never get to have our legendary battle to a brutal and gory death. Next contest then for sure.
Click the picture to get to map download!
Fix those memory leaks, mister! I personally like the arrow key movement in yours, because it allows you to use right clicking for instant attacks. But the marines only seem to show an attack animation while moving at the moment.

Level 26
Fix those memory leaks, mister! I personally like the arrow key movement in yours, because it allows you to use right clicking for instant attacks. But the marines only seem to show an attack animation while moving at the moment.

Will do!
The animation is interupted by the standard "Walking" animation that always play upon unit movement.
I'm not quite sure how to fix this yet, but I will! Thanks! :)

Level 21
I know what's coming... ZOMBIE MAPS!
I think most people are trying to avoid that cliche :prazz:
May i join too?
EDIT: Do the map 100% need imported model? cannot use original war3 textures? o.0
You join just by showing work in progress sometime before you post your final map before the deadline. You don't need to import anything if you don't need or want to. In fact, you might get some extra praise if you can pull off a good map with few or no imports at all (especially if it's multiplayer to save on file space). But imports are allowed as long as they aren't rips from non-Blizzard games.

Status
Not open for further replies.