• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Boss Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
@Dat-C3 - Judges Post

Tested your map. Terrain needs really atleast something on it, also those rock spires at the edge of the map looks horrible, they does not fit to sand. Also the boss is way too hard. Tens of thousands health ( or something ) and you have 3 spells that you can attack him with. And one of them has extremely long cooldown. Then you have few useless spells such rejuvenation and inner fire ( you waste your time because they have casting time and then the boss just smash you into wall. ) Also you never actually have time to read the descriptions. Also boss regenates I died 3 times to it and the boss became level 3 and it regenated full hp when I revived.

Shortly
- Too Hard
- Unbalanced Spells
- Terrain needs work
- No time to read what spells really does

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I played your map again. Though still alone but this time I won.
Also noticed that you added rock spires and more time to start. But noticed that rejuvenation and heal has same hotkey fix that.
I would suggest you to make difficulties for the max health of the boss
Easy - 50%
Medium - 75%
Hard - 100%
Impossible - 150%
of the max health for the boss.
View attachment BeatDiablo.w3g The replay =)

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
By the way does anyone want me to review their maps even though I am just a normal person that doesn't affect it in any way besides a good honest review?

Sure mate I'd appreciate a hard, honest opinion

Edit: @Hammer: Why is JNGP better? It integrates jasshelper, tesh, grimoire into worldedit.. It's like having sex but different.

Last edited:
Level 9
Dwarven Mines 1.0

Well, here is my last WIP before my final submission, I'd love some feedback so pleeeaseee!!! Give me some feedback :D! by the way the map is not protected, feel free to go through the triggers but watch out, I am really messy :p

Download Dwarven Mines v1.0

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 8,952
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 9,028
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 9,376
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 9,413
Level 21
Well, here is my last WIP before my final submission, I'd love some feedback so pleeeaseee!!! Give me some feedback :D! by the way the map is not protected, feel free to go through the triggers but watch out, I am really messy :p

Download Dwarven Mines v1.0
You did an incredibly nice job making an intense, fun and easy-to-learn map out of the basic Warcraft features. The terrain is pretty nice, and I especially like the stairway at the end. It's great how the boss warns you about deadly attacks. Skills were easy to manage, and they were also interesting to use (although Holy Light could use some customization). Everything seems pretty well-balanced.

My triggers are also messy like yours, so I guess that's just a GUI habit :xxd: But you did have a massive amount of point leaks and some unit group leaks:

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=27219

Other than that, I guess you just need more unique custom items. Great map so far.

Level 21
Anything about mine, I do not ever know does it works
Right off, I see a lot of spelling errors. In the skill, I think Sismetic is supposed to be Seismic? Strenght should be Strength. But I do like how the skill continuously damages in an AoE.

I don't usually support using WoW models in Warcraft 3, but the environment seems to blend them in (except for the pure white snowy rocks around the edges along the blue-tinted snow).

Creeping is near impossible with just one skill. I had to use whosyourdaddy just to see if there was a boss, and I never found one. Even with the cheat on, I was still frustrated without knowing where to go or where the rest of the ghouls were. I don't get what you're trying to get the ghoul to say when it says "Blood is my." Do you mean "Your blood is mine."?

This map needs quite a bit of work. You should probably finish up a couple more skills (especially some type of protection/recovery for survival) and some direction to an actual boss fight before posting up another update.

Thank u dude so much. Sry about boss when I have upload my map first time I have written to there is no boss.
This is only used to show a small part of my entry. Like what u have seen my English is very bad. I was thinking about combination of WoW and wc3 modles and that look ugly, so I made decision all WoW.
About spells, I am planning:
Q - single target offensive spell
W - multy target offensive spell(current spells will be changed to W)
E - charge
R - protecting spell, mutly effects (bonnus armor, dodge change, enemy fear, lower damage etc)
D - secret for not (i think to it's almost unique)
F - same as D
T - spell book with options and talents

Btw if u have any suggestion for unit model for changing ghouls be free to tell me, I think they sux.
Thank's man

Level 14
Thank u dude so much. Sry about boss when I have upload my map first time I have written to there is no boss.
This is only used to show a small part of my entry. Like what u have seen my English is very bad. I was thinking about combination of WoW and wc3 modles and that look ugly, so I made decision all WoW.
About spells, I am planning:
Q - single target offensive spell
W - multy target offensive spell(current spells will be changed to W)
E - charge
R - protecting spell, mutly effects (bonnus armor, dodge change, enemy fear, lower damage etc)
D - secret for not (i think to it's almost unique)
F - same as D
T - spell book with options and talents

Btw if u have any suggestion for unit model for changing ghouls be free to tell me, I think they sux.
Thank's man

Check the director's cut skins for ghouls and the reccomended one. They are much better in my opinion.

I just realized is this contest supposed to be for SINGLE PLAYER only cause everyone seems to be releasing such.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Hm... Mainly because the original Wc3 look gets tiring

Lie... I wonder why every one thinks so. You can really get very good looking terrain and so on with original models and textures. Just seems that people does not know how to. If you go play RoC or TFT campaigns you won´t start complaining about the environment it looks very good. But ofcourse they will look ugly if they are not well done. A single object can ruin/finish an environment, it takes skill to make them look good but it is possible.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Bad reason, it just you're covering your weakness on terraining with good models.

Basically yea. Atleast I respect more people that makes great terrain with original models and textures than people that makes perfect terrain with custom models and textures. Also it is alot lower file size with original models. =)

Level 14
@Lordkoon

Tested your map. It is really good, like the idea.
You should add defeat condition when both jedis dies.
Also I would suggest a revive points or something. I won first boss and then my healer jedi died and I had no chance anymore. Also it is way too hard :)

Takes some time to get used to the spells, but then gets really easy.
There is a revive point I plan but after the first boss in the first secured area.

Hints and boss abilities I put in the Quest menu. They would really help a lot i think.
Thanks for giving it a shot.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Takes some time to get used to the spells, but then gets really easy.
There is a revive point I plan but after the first boss in the first secured area.

Hints and boss abilities I put in the Quest menu. They would really help a lot i think.
Thanks for giving it a shot.

I would also suggest to give some items. It felt so lame to kill first boss like 3 minutes and then he stuns you and runs away and you get no rewards -.-'

Level 14
I really don't think you need a 20 minute background theme song. You can just take one instrumental with, I don't know, maybe 5mb file size, and play it over and over again. You just need to find the one which won't sound weird during the time between end and beginning of the song. And yes, in that order.

I deleted my message a sec ago, but yea I found out that I was not pleased with the result anyway.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
View attachment 114424
Please some thoughts about my entry. One more boss will be done till the deadline.

I just tested your map, it has its up sides.

I liked the terrain but I didn't find it overwhelmingly good.

The standard warcraft 3 combat system is really boring for a jedi fight though, and I was unimpressed with your choice of abilities. Tooltips are grammatically hard to follow.

Overall it was decent.

Level 14
I just tested your map, it has its up sides.

I liked the terrain but I didn't find it overwhelmingly good.

The standard warcraft 3 combat system is really boring for a jedi fight though, and I was unimpressed with your choice of abilities. Tooltips are grammatically hard to follow.

Overall it was decent.

I tend to keep it simple and yet still hard as one of the judges already pointed out. The terrain I made in just over 2 days so its not the best I came up with but for such contest it will do. Yet still all spells have their timely use or you will just not advance to the next boss. For example if you dont heal/shield your troopers they will eventually die at the 1st boss making it very hard to advance once inside the cave.

What difficulties did you find with tooltips? As nobody else noted that, I never thought it might be confusing. I will simplify them.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
What difficulties did you find with tooltips? As nobody else noted that, I never thought it might be confusing. I will simplify them.

In general they were just long winded and a bit confusing. I would suggest using the "|n" term, which creates a line break.

For example, you can make this:

Stuns a target enemy unit and deals 500 damage. If cast immediately after <other ability>, has a 50% chance to deal double damage.

Into this:

Stuns and damages an enemy unit. Has a chance to deal double damage if cast immediately after <other ability>

Damage: 500
Stun duration: 1 second
Chance for double damage: 50%

And in the tooltip editor that would look like this:

Code:
Stuns and damages an enemy unit. Has a chance to deal double damage if cast immediately after <other ability>|n |nDamage: 500|nStun duration: 1 second|nChance for double damage: 50%

The deadline is still wrong and hasn't been changed. What a horrible host we have not keeping eye on the competition.

It is not, just stop talking about time, I highly reccomend u to u totaly work on your map or u will be get very bad marks. Really items: unique level -1. I am very dissapointed about your work. Star wars are if u ask me much better (my thinking).

@Aeroblyctos: Stop complaining, would you? We all understand that you finished in time, but you do not have to give others hard time if they need more time. If I was you, I would immediately start working on following things:
-More custom features to the spells, make them less WC3.
-More custom items, because default items can really be boring.
-You have an awesome boss model, great creep models, but why stop there? Download more custom models and icons and import them, it will greatly improve your map.
-Change the way you pick items at the beginning. Items just laying on the ground... It is really lame.
-You could easily make this a multiplayer map, and I think that could improve your score, because all other maps are for single player.
-Maybe some terrain improvements. There is nothing wrong, but it just seems... blank.

My progress:
Finished spells for Knight and for Wizard.
Finished 2 out of 5 boss phases.
Some terrain improvements.

Level 37
10 days, huh? Fine.

MaTiJa97 said:
-More custom features to the spells, make them less WC3.
You get more than enough custom spells when you actually play the boss fight in The Chosen Ones.

MaTiJa97 said:
-More custom items, because default items can really be boring.
You get more than enough items when you actually play the boss fight in The Chosen Ones.

MaTiJa97 said:
-You have an awesome boss model, great creep models, but why stop there? Download more custom models and icons and import them, it will greatly improve your map.
You get more than enough custom icons when you actually play the boss fight in The Chosen Ones.

MaTiJa97 said:
-Change the way you pick items at the beginning. Items just laying on the ground... It is really lame.
Like how?

MaTiJa97 said:
-You could easily make this a multiplayer map, and I think that could improve your score, because all other maps are for single player.
The boss fight is designed for singleplayer.

MaTiJa97 said:
-Maybe some terrain improvements. There is nothing wrong, but it just seems... blank.
Isn't blank a good thing? Then you have enough space to move away from boss' dangerous spells.

Level 14
If you prefer to put the efford on your bossfight in The Chosen Ones you shoud perhaps put that exact chapter of the campaign here.
You used exported object data for your spells (correct me if I am wrong), scattered some items, placed 3 heroes without any simple picking system that can make it multiplayer.
The terrain is never an obstacle in a boss fight unless u put a large chunck of rocks and doodads where they are not supposed to be.
Ofcorse you would be done with it when you put so less efford than in your campaign.
For the item picking I have a suggestion - make a currency (or just use gold) , add items in various shops, let player(s) decide what items to buy and experiment untill they find their style of item choice.
For terrain atleast add some basic doodads to cover the boundary area.

p.s. If you don't like listening to other people's suggestions anyway you will get less than enough positive feedback in the end, I am sure.

If you prefer to put the efford on your bossfight in The Chosen Ones you shoud perhaps put that exact chapter of the campaign here.
You used exported object data for your spells (correct me if I am wrong), scattered some items, placed 3 heroes without any simple picking system that can make it multiplayer.
The terrain is never an obstacle in a boss fight unless u put a large chunck of rocks and doodads where they are not supposed to be.
Ofcorse you would be done with it when you put so less efford than in your campaign.
For the item picking I have a suggestion - make a currency (or just use gold) , add items in various shops, let player(s) decide what items to buy and experiment untill they find their style of item choice.
For terrain atleast add some basic doodads to cover the boundary area.

p.s. If you don't like listening to other people's suggestions anyway you will get less than enough positive feedback in the end, I am sure.

Agree 100%
Your boss fight look like some early beta version, without cinematic, some interesting fight, phases. I really much more like eubz's and lordkoon's star wars

Level 37
And it is like "demo" map. That was my plan in the beginning. When the contest started and we had 3 weeks time to finish our entries I planned how I'll do the boss and I came up with an idea to make a demo map where I have limited some things like player abilities, icons and items. Just so that I won't be late.

After I finished the boss battle and did everything I planned I totally lost motivation to work on it. And here I am, with this map. You like it or not it depends of you.

However, if there was another boss contest, I would be glad to join with fresh motivation and some kind of new idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.