• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zergling model! >:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Actually, the zergling always had 4 legs and the 2 spear things coming from the neck. If you look closely in the original starcraft, they bob their heads forward to attack instead of standing on thier hind legs (which they would have to do if they had scythes). Oh, and heres a pic of the wc3 zergling model:

Warcraft III Zergling:
ling-profile.jpg
Nothing like a reply to the original post 7 pages ago to remind ourselves of how off topic we are.

Level 26
In Starcraft, when I first saw them, I called them raptors, because they looked like cute little raptor thingies. In warcraft 3, they were fat, obviously felhoundish, and ugly. I'm not looking forward to sc2.

Level 8
Where you find the info on the zergling flying? I have been very watchful of the forums/site.

Infact, there was an "invisible" update; before, when you pressed "features", it would show the protoss/terrans linked pictures only, but now there is a third zerg picture. It just isn't linked or highlighted. It wasn't there before...

And the hydralisk (basic ranged unit) may get "scraped", or not useable in regular multiplayer, because then the zergling/hydralisk/ultralisk (er, basic air unit) combo will reign once again and make the new units just not worth it...all for the sake of balence.

Next batch is out: Batch 23.

Level 24
What the hell are you talking about? That zerg picture has been up there since the start of the site. In fact, the Terran picture initially didn't link to anywhere either.

Level 13
They wont remove the fucking hydralisk. Dude, what are you smoking ? thats like removing the marine and zealot from the game and letting the secondary units do all the work. Its a retarded idea and i am 100% sure that this was not even considered by the devs.

The rest of roughnecks post didnt make enough sense to me to comment on it, the hell are you talking about with the basic air strategy ? huh ?

Edit: oh and you see zeglings flying in a screenshot and a gameplay movie that were uploaded to Sc2.com oh about a few months ago, plus zerglings have wings, it would be immensely retarded for them not to use them.

Level 26
I seriously question the authenticity of the "fly" statement, which, a few pages back, was this.
Btw: Lings now have a "fly" ability that works like the wardens blink (except the ling actualy flies across).

You guys didnt know that ? i remember the devs revealing it in some screen shot or something.

Edit: So now they can fly to the back of your base, turn into banelings and kamikaze your economy straight to hell ! makes zergling rushing a much better tactic now IMO.
I'm going to be rather honest and say this smells fishy.

Level 25
heh, it's pretty funny to see a thread go such much offtopic..

Now back to the point , (which one?), About the wings, maybe they allow normal lings to use wings, but removing the fly ability of the banelings cuz of their weight.

Level 34
heh, it's pretty funny to see a thread go such much offtopic..

Now back to the point , (which one?), About the wings, maybe they allow normal lings to use wings, but removing the fly ability of the banelings cuz of their weight.

It wasn't off topic much.

I really hope not. Lings do not fly! They never have... why make them do it now?

Level 13
Thats what i meant, from what ive seen they use a "blink" ish ability, except they get up and fly to theyre destination. Of course, bliz could cut it out, you never know.

Level 26
I'm almost certain those short little glides you speak of are part of its running animation. That's what I've heard. The only "blink-ish" ability involving flying should be the reapers' jump packs. Starcraft 2 is getting too many terrain defying stunts to begin with. Jump packs, blink, colossus walking, warp gates, etc.

Level 25
I'm almost certain those short little glides you speak of are part of its running animation. That's what I've heard. The only "blink-ish" ability involving flying should be the reapers' jump packs. Starcraft 2 is getting too many terrain defying stunts to begin with. Jump packs, blink, colossus walking, warp gates, etc.

That was quite what I meant ^^ . It's not like I think we will see lings going Scourge..

Level 13
It would be incredibly stupid (imo) for it to be JUST for cliffs/impasses.

But thats just my humble opinion, i dont have any info from blizzard backing me on this 1.

Zerglings now have WINGS?!?!?!?!
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGgHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!
i think the rolling bomb thing is kind of cool but WINGS?!?!?!?!
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGgHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!
how r they meant to burrow.
wings are fragile and zerglings are crazy little things that just charge at you. the flimsy wings will snap off like twings in combat!!!
(TT_TT)

and yeah. you know Reaper.
they look too much like the Space Marine Assault Squad from Dawn of war
they both fly on jet packs
they can both jump over terrain
you can upgrade the Assault Squad for a Melta bomb which is effective against buildings and vehicles while the Reapers have D-8 charges for tough targets
hmmmm.... (-_-*) you cant argue that they both copy each other. Warhammer 40k has been since 1987.

and Marines have shields now?! they are the marines man!!! not freaking tactical squad!!! how are the meant to hold their rifles with a shield in their hand.
and Immortals, Stalkers and Colosus all walk on 4 legs. that's not that unique. i liked Dragoons because they were this cool looking robots on 4 legs and that they were unique in the game. now all I see is Immortal, purple Immortal, bloody big Immortal. i miss dragoon already

however i think all of the aircraft looks really cool not to mention Dark Templar's dual scythe. that looks really sickkkk
and all of the marine units on the website, except Reaper, looks good too. Especially Thor. that is one badass unit. Bloody Gustav on legs
i wish they would hurry and put out the info on zergling and the rest of the zerg. zerg is my favourite (cos i am korean)
below is a zergling i drew (^_^)

Last edited:
Level 45
1. Zerglings an burrow, what is obviously stopping them? and to my knowledge they jump hover in movement.
2. The Zergs are constant fast paced evolutionists, they will constantly change and rapidly so new additions to old sc1 zergs will obviously take place, its common sense in starcraft lore and the ways of the zerg.
3. The wings were given to enhance the "locust swarm" feeling.
4. As said, possibly used for hovering over obstacles and cliffs.
5. It's a game, not real life, in games you dont need wings to fly, its rather more of "style and feel". You dont like it, then thats you, its not a walking purple dick with wings so get over it.

hmmm.... youre right. anyway i guess i was stupid to judge the design only from my view.
but isnt it kind of too much for just a base attack unit? jetspack-kinda abilitiess and suicide bombs?
i think they should ease up on the abilities of the unit. i dont think it is good to overload a unit ,that you can build so manyof, with multiple abilities. otherwise people will be just making zerglings

Q. did they replace infested marines with the suicide zerglings or does anyone know if infested marine is coming out too?

Level 25
hmmm.... youre right. anyway i guess i was stupid to judge the design only from my view.
but isnt it kind of too much for just a base attack unit? jetspack-kinda abilitiess and suicide bombs?
i think they should ease up on the abilities of the unit. i dont think it is good to overload a unit ,that you can build so manyof, with multiple abilities. otherwise people will be just making zerglings

Q. did they replace infested marines with the suicide zerglings or does anyone know if infested marine is coming out too?

The fact that those Zerglings can get ripped apart by your grandma didn't say you much? They aint got much hp..

What I mostly wonder is if banelings will do dmg when they die or when they attack ^^ .

Level 13
I thought they said Zerglings won't be hopping up cliffs. And besides wouldn't it be a bit overpowered? I mean it would be basically an even MORE effective zerg rush! Just imagine if your base is on a cliff and you accidently left 1 place undefended. The Zergling will just swarm throught there and kill you!

Level 6
It means that:
1- Blizzard will get loads of death letters from angry koreans
2- Korea's population will suddenly fall due to he many sucides
3- korea will need massive amounts of blood to transfer to the ones who kept cutting their wrists.

The world NEEDS less asians. By the way... Will Lurkers be coming back too?

Level 12
They arnt "holding" any shields, the marines have small shields attached to there left arm, they HOLD the gun on there right arm and shoot it, the other arm is only used to keep the gun steady and still. All they do is hold the bottom of the end of the gun...

Besides the fact it looks like the marines are working for the red cross, there shields are fine(with baynets!)

The Zerglings are awesome, if they add jumping over cliffs it would be overpowered, because that means they would be weaker.

But hey! At least there not giving that blink ability to a hydra or ultralisk. A zergling wouldn't be a bad thing, they would just be more annoying

Level 1
I'm not too terribly worried about what they do with the units for SC2 as long as they still have a good object editor for it like they do for WC3 so you can make whatever customizations you want.

All I know is, I'm anxious to be able to customize units and abilities with Starcraft units like you can with the units in WC3... The wings are a good start for an ability that will allow zerglings to melee-attack flyers. Or, what my big dream is, a Tier 3 upgrade to give your zerglings the ability to cloak :grin:

As if a swarm of fully upgraded zerglings wasn't evil enough as it were...

Edit: So now they can fly to the back of your base, turn into banelings and kamikaze your economy straight to hell ! makes zergling rushing a much better tactic now IMO.

Yeh I know this was posted ages ago, but I still have to comment, it's been my experience in original SC that flying in a few dozen overlords loaded with zerglings right into the heart of a base, will devastate an economy even without a kamikaze ability. By the time the tanks/reavers/whatever hit 'em, they've already killed off most/all of the SCV's/probes/what have ya if not demolished the Command Center/Nexus. The Zergling Drop is one of my fav tactics! :xxd:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
You need to relise that the Swarm is evolving, thus the appearence on the outside will change. If you notice other small changes have occured among all of the Swarm units. This change is just a small thing that should not be woried about or criticized. I am no expert on starcraft so if you do not value my opinion I wouldn't blame you.

Last edited:
Level 13
You need to relise that the Swarm is evolving, thus the appearence on the outside will change. If you notice other small changes have occured among all of the Swarm units. This change is just a small thing that should not be woried about or criticized. I am no expert on starcraft so if you do not value my opinion I wouldn't blame you.

No, your right, the swarm does constantly change and evolve. I guess kerrigan decided that zerglings needed a bit more depth in addition to the typical swarm attack fighter they have always been. IMO, it adds even more strategy to a loved unit on top of the heaps of existing strategies (like one guy said a while back, zergling drops, the classic rushing, ect) Just as long as they are as fast and in a weird way cute like in the original, I have no problem with the changes (granted i will probably never use the banelings, but thats more about prefrence than anything else).

Oh, on a totaly off topic and derailing point- Has anyone noticed that the new infested terrans use theyre guns now ? I could have sworn i saw a screenshot of them. I wonder if they lost theyre explosive ability from the original starcraft to make room for the baneling ?

Just my thoughts.

Level 5
No, your right, the swarm does constantly change and evolve. I guess kerrigan decided that zerglings needed a bit more depth in addition to the typical swarm attack fighter they have always been. IMO, it adds even more strategy to a loved unit on top of the heaps of existing strategies (like one guy said a while back, zergling drops, the classic rushing, ect) Just as long as they are as fast and in a weird way cute like in the original, I have no problem with the changes (granted i will probably never use the banelings, but thats more about prefrence than anything else).

Oh, on a totaly off topic and derailing point- Has anyone noticed that the new infested terrans use theyre guns now ? I could have sworn i saw a screenshot of them. I wonder if they lost theyre explosive ability from the original starcraft to make room for the baneling ?

Just my thoughts.

I read somewhere that they plan on allowing you to infest any type of non-zerg building and have them auto-spawn units, ie. Infested Protoss / Infested Terran that have a short lifespan. That would be these. I would assume Protoss use their... Lightning katar things.

Um, I'll look for the source.

And yes, Banelings will take up that explosive spot in place of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.