• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #3 - Dual Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Zephyr Challenge #3
zephyr03.jpg

Contest Theme:
Dual Effect

Each contestant must create a spell that alternates between two effects, depending on a condition.

Examples:
  • Death Coil: A coil of death that can heal a friendly Undead unit for hit points, or deal half damage to an enemy living unit.
  • Holy Light: A holy light that can heal a friendly living unit or deal half damage to an enemy Undead unit.
  • A spell affected by Day/Night

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No spell may violate any site rules.
  2. Follow the explanation of the theme, not the direct theme word, because the theme word may be interpreted in ways not intended.
  3. Either GUI or JASS may be used. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
    3rd party tool examples:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Unlimited
    • WE Helper
  4. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large systems (that do most of the work for you).
    Example of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Example of large systems:
    • Caster System
    • Particle System
    • Jump System
    • Knockback Functions
  5. No custom imports are allowed, except for the "dummy.mdx" file (a blank model with the "origin" attachment point, and vertical rotation. By iNfraNe, attached at the bottom of the post)
  6. The spell must have been started after the contest started.
  7. WIPs are encouraged to increase the activity of the contest.
  8. Attach your submission to a post in this thread when you're finished (your latest submission will be the one considered your final submission, unless you leave the contest). Submissions after the deadline will be disqualified, so be sure not to edit your submission too late!
  9. Judges may not participate in the contest.

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s), using the following formula
    1. Your spell can earn a maximum of 40 points.
    2. Originality (5 points) - is your spell original, or is it just another chip off the old block?
    3. Triggering/Coding (15 points) - Everything related to the spell's triggering/coding. Leaks, lag, efficiency, etc.
    4. Visual (5 points) - Visual effects associated to the spell (does it look nice, but not overboard?)
    5. Overall Aspect (10 points) - the spell's actual effect (is it creative, and not too complicated?), and how well the spell fits the warcraft (cinematic spells? FPS spells? no thanks. Try to stick to ones that work out nicely in an RTS)
    6. Polish (5 points) - Does the icon fit the spell? Does the effect fit the spell's theme? Is the tooltip descriptive, and without spelling errors or too many clashing colors?
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 40 Reputation points and a special award icon.
  • Second Place: 20 Reputation points.
  • Third Place: 10 Reputation points.

Contest Duration And Deadline

Each spell must be complete and submitted 4 weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on 14 August 2007 and conclude on

11 September 2007 0:00 AM, (GMT).

Attachments

• dummy.MDX
    33.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Level 9
Alright dual effects...
Perfect timing for this contest, i should actualy be able to finish one of once!

Level 10
Something that won't take all month to do. I am pretty bad with the spell scripting with GUI, and i'm still learning Jass, meh idk, im in!

Level 11
Looks like I'm back just in time for another spell competition. You should be able to count me in on this.
DesKaladA said:
Also can we import icons
I'm not entirely sure they're allowed as why would you need a custom icon for a spell? The icon doesn't influence the spell in any way, it's really just there for looks. I can't provide you with a definite answer because I don't know the actual rules, though my guess is that they're either discouraged or not permitted.

Level 16
Rules said:
No custom imports are allowed, except for the "dummy.mdx" file (a blank model with the "origin" attachment point, and vertical rotation. By iNfraNe, attached at the bottom of the post)

How about we all start by reading the rules, shall we? Lets save this thread from spam.

Level 40
Could you elaborate more on WEHelper not working/not being allowed?
I have the latest patch and it works fine, I dont understand this.
The last version I know of existing was v1.7, which only works on (1.20e?), and not 1.21.

I'll update the rules if there actually IS a new version that works for 1.21, but I don't think there is.

In other news, you don't need a link to any of the standard editors (grimoire, WEU, WEHelper (if there actually is a new version))

Level 40
Same for me, wehelper works nicely...
Aight then, could you please upload it here? (to your next post) Wc3c hasn't been working for me recently, so I can't confirm that there's a new version that works with 1.21

And DesKaladA, the deadline is a month, meaning that that's when me (and any other judges, if there will be any) will be testing/reviewing spells. It's best to spend a little more time on your spell than a day or two, when you have this much time given to you.

Level 11
I would like to remind everyone that the theme of the spell is "Dual Effect", not "Multi effect". We are talking about a spell which acts differently in TWO different situations. Not to mention that too many alternatives can actually turn the ability chaotic, far too hard to master and control. So before taking taetra-lateral (four sides to be more exact) spells into consideration, pay extra attention to theme. ;)

Tip (for spell idea): Considering that the two effects are part of the same spell, make sure they are somehow related with the condition (which again, you should try not to make far too complex) and even between them.

I am not part of the jury, so the information I present here may or may not affect the actual jury mark. I'm just making some common-sense comments. ;)

-Mihai

Last edited:
Level 5
Heres my WIP Info:

Name: Fracture Blade
Based off of: Storm Bolt

Description: This sword is extremly powerful, and has a mind of its own. It favors the powerful.

When used, if the target has lower than 20% health, then it will convert his life to the caster and the target will be brought to 1% health.

However, if the effect starts up and the caster has less health then the target, then the caster will be banished for 10 seconds.

Level 9
WIP Info

Open Grounds

Cracks the ground wide open either causing lava to burst out of it or surrounding waters to stream into it.

--------
In other words when used on dry ground creates some sort of a volcano and when used on water creates a current that drags enemies towards the center of it.

For now I have only finished making a special effect that is shown right before the spells real effect starts. (its not a custom model, but fifty spell steal -missiles on top of each other kekeke)
Btw gl to other contestants, you will need it :grin:

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 254
For now I have only finished making a special effect that is shown right before the spells real effect starts. (its not a custom model, but fifty spell steal -missiles on top of each other kekeke)
Btw gl to other contestants, you will need it :grin:

Couldn't you just use the regular firelord's volcano spell thingy? With a dummy caster?

Level 4
Does the spell have to be multi-instancable? I have an idea for a crazy spell, but it will be really hard to make multi-instancable...

Level 11
It doesn't HAVE to be MUI... if it were like that, GUI coders would be rejected from the contest (except for those developing very simple spells which again, would not stand a chance to other more advanced coders). So yeah, not-being-MUI may affect the 'coding' grade (I am not part of the jury so I don't know anything for certain) but I say you give it a try! You have nothing to lose! Only some experience to acquire, and get some constructive observations.

-Mihai

Level 40
As daelin speculated, MUI will be counted a bit in the Coding grade, yes, but only a point or so. However, try to atleast make it MPI (which shouldn't be hard, even with GUI) to maybe lose max 1 point from being not MUI. Oh, also, don't copy your trigger 12 times to make it MPI - that sort of messy coding would lose your more points than you would from just not making it MPI/MUI in the first place.

Guide:
MUI = Multi-Unit Instanceable
MPI = Multi-Player Instanceable

Level 4
ya, this spell isn't just some small little thing. In fact, i dont think ill be able to get it done in time (but im trying). The idea behind this spell is you cast it on a unit, and then that unit is blessed if its an allie, or cursed if its an enemy. then theres all sorts of things that can happen to it randomly for its blessing or curse. its really difficutl to make actually because of eveyrthing im trying to do.

Level 24
icons_2669_btn[1].jpg

Here is my spell
Name:Good/Dark Side
Mana cost:15
Cooldown:5 seconds
Based on:Dark Conversion(Malganis,Fast)
Casting Time:5 seconds
Synergy:Casts on enemy peasants to steal them and them re-cast on them to transform them into Holy Men.
Holy Man
Damage 24-29
Hp:450
Armor Medium:2
Tooltip:
Casts an intense beam of light on an allied human unit,transforming the unit into a Holy Man.In addition if casted on an enemy unit,the light dim's and becomes negative,on impact gaining the ownership of a level 1 human unit.

Level 10
WIP
Summons builders of Neon or Oblivion when casted. Summons builders of Neon when on blessed grasses of Uther. But, if casted on corrupted lands of Hades, you will get builders of Oblivion. After the builders are summoned, they will automaticly build a base for you. They manage the town themselves by enforcing your law, controling the workers, and more. You may only use this spell twice. Once on the blessed grasses of Uther, and once on the Corrupted lands of Hades.

Status
Not open for further replies.