• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #1 - Poll

Who should be the winner of this challenge?

• moyack

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Fl4meS

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • ddusandu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rulerofiron99

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Though I expected a larger number of entries, I am glad to see that the first Zephyr Challenge had a decent amount of spells. Here are the entries:

(Zephyr Challenge #1 Thread)

Post the name of the user who's spell you think his/her spell was best, giving serious arguments. Also submit your choice into the poll. Failing to give good reasons why you voted for a certain spell shall make your vote invalid. Contestants are also allowed to vote but not for their own spell.

You have until the 28th of January 2007 to submit your vote and reasons. Good luck to the contestants!

~Daelin

Level 14
I don't know if I am allowed to vote, so I'll just give my comments and points and we'll see...

I was giving points based on visual effects, idea and coding, then took average.

Cursed Soul:

Cool idea, quite original. Visual effects are somewhat poor, coding is very good. Only thing that came to mind, hmm people at wc3c were crying that spells bug when you don't pause timers before destroying them, but I don't care about it. So points are:

SFX: 3/5
CODING: 5/5
IDEA: 4/5

Exhuming the Infested:

First time I saw this spell I thought it's non-triggered. Raising attacking units from corpses isn't original to be honest. I liked your coding style and you were trying to cover leaks. Also, effects were kinda fitting the spell so you got advantage here. Points:

SFX: 4/5
CODING: 4/5
IDEA: 2.5/5

Zephyr #1 Spell Competition My Spell

I wasn't happy seeing this spell. Barely any triggering, no real visual effects, and idea too much dota-inspired. Points:

SFX: 2/5
CODING: 3/5
IDEA: 2/5

Necrothermic Combustion:

Unoriginal idea -> corpse explosion is boring generally. Triggering is ok, leaks covered. I don't like 1 to 500 loop, what if there are more units? Effects were what corpse explosion needs - fire, fire, more fire. Points:

SFX: 3/5
CODING: 4/5
IDEA: 3/5

So my votings:

Cursed Soul - 4/5
Exhuming the Infested - 3.5/5
Necrothermic Combustion - 3.3/5
Zephyr #1 My Entry - 2.3/5

Well if Daelin says that I can vote, I'll give my vote to the poll

Level 25
Cursed Soul:
Kinda confusing and long-winded explanation, didn't really like it, MUI = good, but as I don't know JASS I can't comment on your coding.

Exhuming the Infested:
Looked very nice, I like this spell, altough it isn't MUI.

Corpse Gather/Release Souls
Not very impressive visually, leaks in code, not MUI, and the make invulnerable thingy is a bit annoying, as enemies go running. (rather pick every unit in area owned by an enemy player and damage target)

My Entry (necrothermic combustion)
I always love to see a bunch of random gnolls fly away from a pile of exploding corpses, although at times they went too fast and the SFX could have been a bit better.

So, my vote goes to Exhuming the Infested. gj!

@Jacek: i doubt that there will ever be more than 500 units at a time. It can easily be configured for up to 8192 units at a time (seriously), but that causes lag for some people (bit of bad coding).

Level 19
Well draw or not, I think it would come all up to the other 50% ...
Since Daelin said :
Post the name of the user who's spell you think his/her spell was best, giving serious arguments. Also submit your choice into the poll. Failing to give good reasons why you voted for a certain spell shall make your vote invalid. Contestants are also allowed to vote but not for their own spell.

There more votes then posts .. So ...

Level 8
In justification of my vote, I mostly agree with what Jacek said.
moyack---Spell wasn't really flashy. It was well-coded, but the idea seemed to be just a tad bit lacking. I didn't really feel that it was all that useful as a whole, but it was still okay.
fl4mes--- While it looked okay and was coded pretty well, I felt that the idea needed work. The concept of flies/worms etc. is fine, but I feel that it could have used some variation from just spawning units from dead people.
ddusandu--- Kind of a cool idea, but very little triggering at all, and the triggering used could have used some work.
rulerofiron---Coding was fine. I didn't like the idea a ton, though. It almost takes too much effort for what it's worth (i.e. move meat wagon, drop body, move necro, use spell, can't use the spell again until you respawn corpses, etc.). The pushback, while functional, didn't make much sense either. Push guys away from fiery explosion of doom???

Anyway, taking these observations into account, i voted moyack.

And just so you know, good job everyone. I tend to try to point out mistakes more than strengths, but all the entries were fun to try out. Good luck!

Level 11
Oh gosh guys, what didn't you get when I said "post reasons, don't just vote?". Hmm... apparently the winner of this poll is... Moyack!!! This doesn't mean however that he is the winner of the contest. I was certain that the voting would be very shallow so I shall start judging the four spells really soon.

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.