• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #2 Final Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
The Zephyr Challenge #2 Poll has been ended. This final poll includes the five (six) top entries.

Voting can only be done by posting in this thread: the posts will be counted by me and shall determine the final winner.

50 % of the vote will count, the other 50% shall be rated by judges.

Again, the submissions need to be rated on the following subjects:

• The Spell idea [ 1-5/5 ]
The spell should be original, not just another Divine Shield.

• Interest [ 1-5/5 ]
The spell should be attractive, either because of the gameplay, eye candy or fun.

• Coding [ 1-5/5 ]
It is important that the code of your spell is clean. For example a JASS spell should be multiinstanceable as locals are accessible. GUI users should have used custom scripts to fix up leaks.

Voters must rate the spell on a scale of one to five on those three subjects.

Failing to give good reasons why you voted for a certain spell shall make your vote invalid.

Contestants are also allowed to vote but not for their own spell.

Spells
wyrmlord Redemption Aura - 2 Votes
Jacek Smite
UchihaSasuke.gr Divine Spell
1)ark_NiTe Holy Conversion
Diablo-dk Spiritual Bond
Zwan Convert Faith

You need at least 15 POSTS to make your vote count.

The poll will end at 9 june 2007 (0:00 AM, GMT)

Last edited:
Level 2
Vote

Ok, here are my vote/ratings after reviewing the final entries.

UchihaSasuke.gr - Divine Spell

• The Spell idea [2/5]

Not entirely sure what the spell idea was here. The Entry, Map name, and triggers all had different names. Felt very random and unpolished.

• Interest [1/5]

Due to the randomness mentioned above, intrest was low. The spell description did not fit the spell. I did not feel the spell was demonstrated properly, the tooltip stated it randomly healed 25 units, but there were only 9 units total in the map including the caster. It also did not appear to work as stated in the tool tip, the caster recieved no stat bonus, and the spell effects did not seem to fit what was happening.

• Coding [2/5]

Coding was sub par. No loops were used for effects and no effects were removed, resulting in leaks.

Overview

This spell felt thrown together in 30 minutes or less, or possibly borrowed from elsewhere. It is possible the author is new to mapping, which I took into consideration, but that would only forgive coding for the most part. The lack of cohesion between names, tooltips, and the actual spell left me scratching my head as to why this spell is here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacek - Smite

• The Spell idea [3/5]

While not entirely original, I did like this spell. It fit the criteria of the contest guidlines and seemed lag free while giving us a little eye candy. Lost a point here due to the spell name. Smite is typically an offensive ability, and did not suit what the spell does in my opinion.

Smite
a. To inflict a heavy blow on, with or as if with the hand, a tool, or a weapon.
b. To drive or strike (a weapon, for example) forcefully onto or into something else.
2. To attack, damage, or destroy by or as if by blows.
a. To afflict: The population was smitten by the plague.
b. To afflict retributively; chasten or chastise.
4. To affect sharply with great feeling: He was smitten by deep remorse.
v.intr.

• Interest [4/5]

I'm a fan of oldschool spell effects. The Anhk/Cross got bonus points from me, it seemed to always display properly and worked as intended.

• Coding [3/5]

Coding seemed fine, locs and effects were removed. Nothing grabbed me off the bat that would be overly detrimental. Lost a point in this category due to lackluster tool tips.

Overview

I liked this spell, I just feel it wasnt a full package. Better tool tips and naming would have ranked this one a bit higher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

wyrmlord - Redemption Aura

• The Spell idea [4/5]

This was an excellent spell, felt original, and was very polished. A great spin on an aura/passive type spell. This spell would easily fit onto any support hero.

• Interest [4/5]

Intrest was high. It was clear this would be an above average spell. I really like the mix of passive/free healing with a balanced downside of having to kill/lose units. The amount healed felt balanced and the test map was laid out nicely and allowed the user to fully experience all elements of the spell.

• Coding [5/5]

Wyrm's documentation was excellent. Im fairly sure anyone could get this spell into thier map thanks to the large amount of foot notes. Tooltips were excellent.

Overview

This spell was planned and executed very well. I found it extremely difficult to find anything wrong with it. If I HAD to nit pick, I would say better FX could have been used, but honestly for a passive it was fine. This spell will be tough to beat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Diablo-dk Spiritual Bond

• The Spell idea [4/5]

Spell idea was solid and I liked it. At first I thought it would be too similar to spirit link, but it was actually pretty cool. It followed the contest theme.

• Interest [2/5]

My interest went down a bit after playing with the spell for a while. While the regen/heal rate amounts felt about right, the dragging aspect of the link was a turn off. If this was an intended feature, it needs a cut off switch in my opinion. It could be exploited easily in a hero vs hero encounter.

• Coding [3/5]

I saw no obvious flaws that jumped out at me, but I felt it might be hard to import the spell unless the user was already moderately versed in JASS. There were few breaks in the code and little notation.

Overview

Overall this is a great spell, I just had a hard time getting over the dragging aspect of the link. On the flipside, this could be made into a cool containment spell locking 2 heroes together.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1)ark_NiTe Holy Conversion

• The Spell idea [3/5]

While a bit simplistic, Dark has entered a solid spell. It fits the contest guide lines and was executed well.

• Interest [3/5]

Interest was moderate. I wanted something with bit more "oompf" but there is nothing technically wrong with the spell. The knight makes a good bodyguard, and though the blind is nice, it feels like an after thought. However, it's usefullness may increase depending on the caster's other abilities. The knight looked kinda cool, but some effects were of little notice, the crown and divine shield graphics would probably have been enough.

• Coding [3/5]

The code appears clean, however it loses points here from me due to it's size. Given what the spell does I would expect it to be much more compact. I believe the intent here was to make it so you simply pasted the code and avoid ability useage, but it felt overdone a bit on the addition of effects.

Good notation and extensive removal of leaks.

Overview

Overall this is a good spell entry. While probably more suited to a melee map, it could be used in any map. Thought was put into making this spell transferable and that deserves noting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

My official vote is for Wyrmlord for overall quality. Everything about Redemption Aura was executed with artisian quality.

My 2nd place: Dark Nite, for user friendly transfer
My 3rd place: Jaceck, for cool factor

Level 10
Jacek: Smite

• The Spell idea [ 1.5/5 ]
the ankh looked good, but still mostly pure special effects.

• Interest [1.5 /5 ]
Mostly pure eye candy as mentioned above, just alot of effects(reduced my fps by more than 20)

• Coding [ 2.5/5 ]
Too much usage of locations and BJ functions which could be easily replaced by cordinates and math.

-----------
Overall i would say the spell is more like a cinematic spell, as it is too much eye candy, while the code could be improved alot by using cordinates instead. Also the name really does not fit the spell.

Zwan: Convert Faith

• The Spell idea [ 2.25/5 ]
The idea was pretty nice even though i thought of it a little like mass charm^^. But i still enjoyed it.

• Interest [3 /5 ]
Eye candy was pretty good, not too much and not too little while i enjoyed it pretty well.

• Coding [ 2.25/5 ]
It wasn't MUI(like alot of GUI isn't) but else i found no leaks and looked good.

------------------
Overall it looked good and was made well, though it seemed pretty imbalanced.

UchihaSasuke.gr: Divine Spell

• The Spell idea [ 2/5 ]
Seemed like a "And then, and then, and then..." like spell making it very confusing.

• Interest [1.5 /5 ]
Got very confused about what was happening. Mostly seemed like alot of healing.

• Coding [ 1/5 ]
Leaks alot and has WAY too many waits.

-------------
Overall the spell needs alot of work and leak cleaning while it seemed very confusing..

1)ark_NiTe: Holy Conversion

• The Spell idea [ 2.5/5 ]
The idea felt pretty cool after reading the tooltip, and there wasn't too many effects.

• Interest [2 /5 ]
I didn't think the spell was very interesting, as it seemed mostly like a morphing spell with special effects.

• Coding [ 2.25/5 ]
No leaks was found, though i didn't really like the usage of about 70% custom script and rest GUI(which makes it a pain in the eyes to read through) while there's a couple of GetLastCreatedUnit() calls that could be changed.

---------------
Overall rating: I understand that you are new to jass and that's the reason you used GUI + Custom script, but making this in pure jass would be much easier. The blind effects just seemed like a small addon to the spell trying to make it a little more interesting. But overall not bad.

Wyrmlord: Redemption Aura

• The Spell idea [ 3.25/5 ]
The idea seemed nice while being very balanced.

• Interest [3 /5 ]
Very good use of effects and seemed very interesting.

• Coding [ 4.5/5 ]
Excellent coding! It was made userfriendly and didn't seem leaky while only very few functions which could be replaced with something else. JESP standard also gave alot of + in this category.

------------
Overall a very good spell, both a good idea and looks good while it is easy to use and very good coded.

The results:
1st: Wyrmlord: One of my favorite spells while very easy to read through. GJ!
2nd: Zwan: While not MUI it seemed well coded for a GUI spell and looked nice.
3rd: 1)ark_NiTe: The idea was nice, but not one of my favorite types of spell.

So my vote goes to Wyrmlord.

Level 6
I have to say....this competition is fucking joke...first poll with like 10 spells and now this kind of voting with 5 spells? gheez...

Level 19
Well yes, thanks to abuse on the voting and unfair people.
Next time this will not happen again, since then I'll just get judges.

But ok, after all counted with the public vote from the previous time and here, it seems that Wyrmlord is the final winner.
(No need to get judges on this, here are just no votes on others)

Good job Wyrmlord!

Jacek : Smite

• Spell Idea [2/5] : The spell idea is good, though it doesn't seem too original. It seems like a ressurection + healing spray + effects wrapped into one
  • Interest [3/5] : The picture was interesting and so was it in-game, I wanted to see how it actually looked but not that much due to non-major or original effects.
  • Coding [1.5/5] : Sorry Jacek, your effects were awesome, but that doesn't matter for the coding. The coding was alright, but there were no constants, too many BJs, and way to many functions that could be easily simplified. I suggest instead using a loop in your loop and not add too many locals. Constants are much more modifiable in my opinion.
Overall Score: 2.166...

Good job though. :wink:

------------------------------------

UchihaSasuke.gr : Divine Spell

• Spell Idea [3/5]: It had a pretty good idea that got me interested.
  • Interest [3/5]: I was pretty interested, especially with those effects.
  • Coding [1/5]: I wasn't very impressed with this code. It was very leaky and was not organized. There weren't loops used and it leaked so much. I think it leaks about 106 times! Sorry, please read a memory leak tutorial.
Overall: 2.33..

-----------------------------------

Zwan: Convert Faith:

• Spell Idea [3/5]: It had a pretty good concept used in it and it got me interested.
  • Interest [3/5]: It was pretty interesting, I liked the spell idea and the cool effects.
  • Coding [4/5]: The coding was pretty good, it had one leak though in the "Setup" and it was a little odd how you had to use 6 triggers. Still, it was pretty good!
Overall: 3.33...

1)ark_NiTe: Holy Conversion:

• Spell Idea [3/5]: The spell idea was pretty interesting, but it didn't impress me too much except for the effects that occur. (Not the eye-candy effects, I mean the actual results of the spell)
  • Interest [4/5]: This spell got me pretty interested because it seemed pretty nice from the description and pictures etc.
  • Coding [4/5]: The coding was great, but Multi-User Interface may be more convenient for a GUIer, but why not just do it all in JASS and make it in GUI too? It looks weird when putting them together. If you used JASS, you could have avoided many bjs and you could of avoided certain lines of codes. It is also not MUI, I'm pretty sure. It uses waits along with globals.
Overall: 3.66...

Well, my vote was wyrmlord for a good reason though:

Spell Idea:
4/5 - The spell idea seemed quite nice

Interest:
4/5 - I had great interest in seeing the spell

Coding: 5/5 - The coding was magnificent and simplified, though elseifs are better than:
Code:
    if <cond> then
    //Actions
    endif
    if <cond> then
    //Actions
Gj wyrmlord! :smile:

Overall: 4.33...

Diablo-Dk : Spiritual Bond:

• Spell Idea: [3/5]: The spell was pretty interesting and I think it has a pretty good idea.
  • Interest [4/5]: A good spell idea usually has me interested, and even without screenshots, this got me interested.
  • Coding [5/5]: I didn't see many flaws in the coding, it seemed well written, except for the lack of indents.
Overall: 4
----------------------------------

So, my vote still remains to wyrmlord!!

Positions:

Good job to all contestants! :thumbs_up:

The waits were only used with local variables and the global was used without any waits, so it is multi-instanceable!

Sorry, :eek: I didn't see that in the code...

Gj and thanks for correcting me. :wink:

>thank you for the 3rd place vote!

Was that sarcasm?? If it wasn't, then your welcome.

Bah...My spell is crap.I didn't knew much of spell making maybe i will enter the next competition...Thnx for comments!

Nah, it isn't bah, it isn't crap neither. It was pretty good, I'm glad you got practice though, it improves your spell making. Good job and your welcome. :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 32
Congratulations
warcraft0326.gif
wyrmlord

wyrmlord's prizes have been awarded and his winning submission has been enshrined in our

[self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7208"]» Arena Winners Thread «[/self]

Status
Not open for further replies.