• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Zephyr Challenge #2 Poll

Which is the best 'Divine' Spell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Voting Ethics

[off-topic]

The voting in this thread is beginning to concern me.

All users should maintain an unimpeachable level at all times of integrity when voting in public polls:

[off-topic] I strongly encourage everyone NOT to view the poll results, read the posts in voting threads (except for this one lol) or listen to any smalltalk about polls before they have exercised their own vote.

Just D/L the resources, test them the best that you can and make your own decision based on your own results.

THEN post in the thread and THEN vote. (JMO)

Level 18
I'm voting for Jacek.
Idea:2/5
Interest:3/5
Coding:5/5

You voted for Jacek when rating him a 2/5 for his idea? What the hell. So you're telling me no one has had better than a 2/5 for an idea, higher than a 3 for your interest, and a 4-5 for coding?

And to the 30 post thing, that is completely unfair. New users should be allowed to vote and have their vote count just as much as any other user. You can trace IP's to see if it is the same person or not, you don't have to bar them from voting. I can't believe this, it is some real bs. Not to flame, but come on, we all know that this contest is flawed in more ways than one, but to not count each users vote is completely unnecessary.

This is the kicker: File Type: w3x HolyconversionSpellby1)ark_NiTe.w3x (38.9 KB, 8 views)

I have had 8 views (one of them being me), and there have been 30 + votes. 7 VIEWS. Assuming all of the people who viewed it voted in this contest (which is unlikely), I have had less than 1/4 of the voters actually look at my spell. I am extremely disappointed with the turnout so far.

Last edited:
Level 18
No I'm just bored. I read all the spell descriptions and there was not really something original that caught my attention.

I find that extremely hard to believe (considering Jacek's isn't any more interesting than most others). It's the actual spell, not the description, that wins a contest. As far as I'm concerned your vote is invalid, along with 80% of the people in here who did not give other spells a chance.

Level 10
I think it is sad that this contest has become what i feared it would become.. seems mostly like popularity/eye candy is what people care about, or just go through a very few ones and then just vote on description or something like that..
my spell has 27 views
better proof on that people don't look through the spells is hard to get as i see it.
I think we should have judge(s) next time as this isn't really working.

Level 18
I think it is sad that this contest has become what i feared it would become.. seems mostly like popularity/eye candy is what people care about, or just go through a very few ones and then just vote on description or something like that..
better proof on that people don't look through the spells is hard to get as i see it.

Judges would have been the way to go, yes.

1)ark_nite, I think you should just forget it, if you worry about it that much you’ll get ZERO valid votes on the poll :( the world is a sad place and will always cheat, or not follow the rule actually right. I’m glad you’re trying to enforce the rules and such, but I don’t think you should worry about it so much :(.

Level 16
I dont want to say I told you so! So I wont say it :)

But this is how the cookie crumbles, so here's my vote:

Im voting for Gost's spell Holy Plague.

The Spell idea 5/5

-Really nice idea. Plague is useally seen as negative but you did a good job making it more positive.

Interest 5/5

-Very interesting spell indeed. The plague spreads like wildfire and the effects are fitting. Creates a nice chaos which is to be expected from a plague yet keeping a positive look on it :).

Coding 3/5

-Could be better. Wont bother going into details.

Good luck!

Level 19
(considering Jacek's isn't any more interesting than most others).
You are right, but I liked the way the spell looks.
(As far as I'm concerned your vote is invalid, along with 80% of the people in here who did not give other spells a chance.
For me it does not matter will it be counted or not. I read all the descriptions and looked the pictures. I don't feel like testing all the spells. There are some other good spells too. But looking at the poll votes I don't think my vote will make a difference. And to tell the truth Jacek is my friend and he caught my attention partially to that.

And btw it's a lot better idea to have judges if you want a fair result.

Level 19
I like your blinding Undead part. A modified version of this spell sounds tempting... maybe for one hero I will use in the future. Cool spell. I would have prefered summoning instead of converting. And a better unit model for a spell as good as this. I'm sorry dark nite, if I could give two votes I would give the second one to you.

Level 18
I like your blinding Undead part. A modified version of this spell sounds tempting... maybe for one hero I will use in the future. Cool spell. I would have prefered summoning instead of converting. And a better unit model for a spell as good as this. I'm sorry dark nite, if I could give two votes I would give the second one to you.

Well the thing was, we couldn't use any custom models except for the effect of the spell (and if we did that, they'd have to be created by us). I had to use a Blizzard model unit, it wasn't my choice. It's really good to know that you enjoyed it, since nobody else has even given it a chance. If you ever would like to use it, contact me for it, because there is a small bug in the version in this contest.

Level 19
If you ever would like to use it, contact me for it, because there is a small bug in the version in this contest.
Cool. If I use it it will be in my campaign because it's the only project I have. But it's very long and will take years. I might want to use it as an item summon with a different unit. Now that I think of it your spell might fit perfectly as an item summon for my campaign.

Level 11
The general public will vote for whoever they so choose to. I think we should all care less about the outcome and more about what we got out of the contest. For example, I learned that naming variables properly can make a very large impact on code readability. I think we've all lost track of who is actually winning according to the contest voting rules. Most of the votes will be made invalid by the time this poll ends anyways.

Anyways, I'm curious on how people who entered the contest approved their skills. Would everyone mind telling us a little something they got out of making their spells for the contest? It seems like something much more interesting to talk about than "the voting is unfair" as I'm sure we're all smart enough to have figured that out by now.:wink:

Level 5
I use such contests to gain an overview about the spell making abilities of this community, while taking the opportunity to learn from others.
But I see how people here are desperate to get reputation no matter what...
From having friends to register to vote for his spells to uh, not wanting to vote for other spells because you are participating...
People, such contests is not all about repulation and winning...
1)ark_NiTe, since you expect people to look at your spell so badly, how about opening your own eyes for the other spells too?
Like if you would cease to think about winning for a tiny single moment, just a little bit, you might notice: Oh, some spells are awesome!
I might be one of those who actually have viewed all of them, so yea, time to review yours, just to satisfy your curiousity:
1)ark_NiTe's Holy Conversion Review

Spell Idea:
Cool, a summoned Unit, Holy Light spam + Drunken Haze, and where is your spell?

Interest:
Putting the bad idea aside, this spell won't ever be useful.
You would have to wait for the tanklord of a Knight to die so you can finally heal units? Wow...who the hell is gonna use that?

Coding:
Despite of the uselessness of this spell, it also shows flaws in coding.
1.) Effects that could have been destroyed on creation were saved into an extra variable...
2.) Using GetTriggerUnit(), SpellTargetUnit() etc. after a Wait is not allowed
3.) Having two extra triggers just to remove units from a group loop? How about trying FirstOfGroup(g), since you are using a loop already anyway.
4.)
  • Custom script: local location EffectsandDummy = GetUnitLoc(GetTriggerUnit())
  • Set Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
Where is the difference again?
5.) Some Custom Script lines could have stayed in Trigger Codes, but that's trivial.
Congratulations, you have failed to code a cinematic spell.

Score:
Spell Idea: 1/5
Interest: 0/5
Coding: 1/5

Level 18
Unmi, actually I viewed every spell (including yours) and voted for the one that I thought was the best (which wasn't yours, sorry.)

I have never tried any JASS before this, so I decided this would be my first attempt. I am proud of what I learned in this contest as far as custom script goes, and in my next spells my skill will be much improved. Also, how I used GetTriggerUnit() after a wait has been fixed, but I could not submit the fixed version because the contest had ended before I caught that problem. I never once said I wanted to win this contest, or that I wanted the reputation (because I most definitely do not care about reputation. Reputation means nothing, considering how easy it is to have your friends constantly rep you on different posts for doing absolutely nothing--or the fact that much of the rep that goes around is given for more rep in return.)

The sole reason I want my spell to be viewed is so that I can get feedback and see what people think--NOT so I can win a contest and get reputation from a community that is so very disrespectful towards me. Since I've been here I've gotten most nothing but ill respect, except from the very few who need not be named, for they know who they are. I am appalled that you would react so offensively towards me when I did nothing to deserve such treatment, and I find it quite humorous that you went out of your way to exploit my spell, making it sound to be the worst spell in this contest when there are clearly many others that could take the prize (one being yours, but I will avoid personally attacking your work since that is not the kind of person I am.)

On a lighter note, Wyrmlord, I learned so much from this contest, and much of what I did learn I can credit to you. Thank you for teaching me how to create local variables and how to null/destroy them after their use. Thank you also for teaching me how to use the destroy group custom text, which helped me to be able to make this spell leakless. I hope that with these basics in JASS, I will be able to create even better spells in the future. Thanks Wyrm!

Level 8
lol, Since im still a novice when it comes to spell making, the only reason i entered was to get some nice feedback on my spell (and maybe some quick rep if i got REALLY lucky) but that didnt happen. I had a JASS version of my spell, but didnt have time to submit it. Although, like 1)ark_NiTe, i owe my knowledge in JASS to wyrmlord as well.

Still though, Ive looked through all the spells and their GUI/JASS codes. I think I have a better grasp on JASS (when it comes to spell making at least) so I left with something, and somethings better than nothing.

Either way, im lookin forward to the next Zephyr Challenge :D

Level 5
The sole reason I want my spell to be viewed is so that I can get feedback and see what people think
There you have my feedback? (People are not supposed to write a feedback about every spell they don't like anyway...stop telling nonsense.)
And who is attacking whose spell?
Tell me anything about my review that is not constructive. Since you wanted a feedback, there you go.
And your post makes it sound like my review was all about your "Jass coding" ...while admiting that you are new at it, thus not good enough yet. What's wrong with my review now? Like, anything not correct?
(Your attempt to flame my spell just for "revenge" makes you look worse.)
Notice how almost every second post of yours in this thread is to complain about "People not viewing my spell" or "people voting for other's spell" or "this contest is not fair". (Wow, you are the first one I've seen who has an advertisement to his contest entry in his sig...)
I respect people who are new at things, but people who don't know their own limits are nubs.
It makes me hella mad that people like you actually ruin such events.

Level 25
Maybe we should all just calm down and accept that |)ark_Nite likes his spell a lot and UnMi feels a sense of responsibility to keep people in their place. Either way you BOTH are making yourselves look like idiots, please stop it.

and neither of you can flame me, because |)ark_Nite got more votes than me and I voted for UnMi's spell. Happy day.

Level 4

well for starters the maps are all individually setup there is no easy way to view them and for that reason people dont have patience to download and try 15 spells

Level 10
It would be nice to have them in one map, but you will also have to think of this:
Alot of spells, will take pretty much time.

It will take alot of time to implement all spells as there are many jass spells which have the same functions(same function names)

Some GUI triggers might have same global variable names.

Some spells uses Vjass, meaning that none of the spells would be changeable for people who don't have Vjass(in case they want to test them with small changes.

Anyways, i agree that we should rather stick to judge(s)
public poll does not really work when we got all these entrys.

Level 8
I voted for Dalaran_Guard. Loved the spell idea, i haven't seen any spells like it (then again im not known for browsing spells) Effects were nice too.

Level 6
actually i think puplic poll is fine, but you should put like 3 spells to choose from. Seriously i doubt that every spell is good enought to win..

Level 1
I voted for Dalaran_Guard. Loved the spell idea, i haven't seen any spells like it (then again im not known for browsing spells) Effects were nice too.

dito that. i really like that it gets stronger over time so it makes it cool.
great idea!!!:grin::thumbs_up:

Level 6
The poll is almost done.
After this I will create a new poll, about the 5 most voted spells.

The new poll shall require a post to let a vote count.
This poll will count 50% of the original score, together with another 50% by judges.

lol bad call again...this poll has been running like forever already. Just end it one way or another. Next time will be better I hope..

Level 19
Diablo-dk receives my vote.
• The Spell idea [ 4/5 ]
Its an original idea, which reminds me of spirit link but much better created.
• Interest [ 5/5 ]
Your spell has my full attention as I like it. A variation between the others.
• Coding [ 5/5 ]
As your coding I will grant you a 5, from the knowledge I know about JASS I didn't saw any mistake.

Gratz ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.