• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your Political Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
If you told everyone there's nothing to stop them from killing others, some would.
Yes, and this subset of people is the same subset that win Darwin awards. If they are too stupid to understand that anyone they attempt to kill is going to fight back (...)
Or not. In the epoch where you have guns, it doesn't take any confrontation to pick up a gun, take the advantage in a more deserted corner, shoot someone from behind and leave the scene. It's so easy that it scares me, especially considering my country lacks policemen and means of crime investigation.

Cool story bro!
Oh no. I already knew nobody was going to take this seriously. It's just food for thought for them. Limited thought. What I'm interested in is seeing what someone who seriously fears robot takeover will do. It doesn't matter whether or not I will be able to pull it off, their fear will force them to seriously acknowledge that I might actually be able to.
I'm trying to understand what you're writing, which means I'm taking it “seriously” if you want to call it that, the «cool story bro» was just a way of saying you were excessively melodramatic. Not in a bad way :grin:

(...) I believe in the ability of people to come together and do the right thing (...)

(...) It is simply a matter of doing what is necessary when it is necessary, not bothering trying to convince people who are unwilling to be convinced (...)
How can you not attempt to convince someone and expect them to do the right thing?
What makes you think most of our brains work logically? Since when has being right or wrong or stressed or zen had anything to do with survival? Natural selection does not necessarily favor intelligence. With enough reflection, I think you'll find that you run on emotions even at your most logical mindset. Quite simply: If you don't feel like being reasonable, what do you expect your brain to do?
I still don't get it. I do not think our brains work logically, I think the contrary.
In the explanation you just gave me, assuming that you understood the above was my opinion, you are affirming that human brains work based on emotions, therefore, people are not reasonable. Which leads me back to the question I asked: if people are not reasonable but emotional, why do you trust them to do the right choice(s)? What is a «right choice»? Are you saying that is the emotional answer is always the right choice? Or are you saying that people know how to judge when the emotional response is the right one and when the logical one is the right one?
Do you find this simple? Because this seems fairly complicated. I haven't had a lot of sleep so my say is suspicious.

Hakeem said:
(...) I, personally, want to believe all of us can [work more logically]. Not because it is the logical thing to believe (...)
Well, being implicit in that statement that believing otherwise is the illogical thing to believe, I feel insulted. I don't know what you base your observations on to conclude that «everyone is rational» is the logical thing to believe, but you once told me you were home-schooled if I'm not wrong, so if you spent a year in a high school you'd see what I'm talking about. Looking at nowadays' teenagers, «everyone is rational» is absolutely NOT the logical thing to assume.
Note: A few of the people who post around here and Medivh's Tower make an exception. Taking a sample consisting of various people who post here would not be a good representative of the entire young population, let alone the worldwide population of all age groups.

You do not. This doesn't matter. You act with the information you have. You cannot act with information you do not have. If the information is merely of the realm of possibility, you have a higher risk of making a less qualitative decision. If you're forced to make a decision before you can reflect on the realm of possibility, then what else could you have done than make that snap decision based on any relevant neural pathways you'd developed prior to the moment you made the decision?

Now if you want to worry that you're not competent to make decisions that wont leave you with guilt, then you should, first, try to avoid being put in a position to make those decisions. If not, try to talk your way out making the decision. If not, try to get more time to reflect and research the decision. If not, why worry? There was nothing else you could do.

Level 27
Being intelligent is suffering.
And being stupid is suffering in other ways. Other ways that you're liable to not even be aware of. Sure, your lack of experiencing it means there is less suffering from your perspective, but on the objective, is there really less?

I find that insufficient intelligence is what causes the suffering. Awareness of problems that you do not have the capacity to solve yet. Once you realize how simple it is to make decisions, there is little in the world that can cause you to suffer.
genetically getting smarter.
Is this possible? Do our genes control this?
If anything, we'd be getting stupider. An intelligent hence rational man is less likely to procreate than a stupid one. That's genetics for you.
If and only if intelligence is a genetic determination. I'm not quite sure how the brain works just yet, but it seems to me that once the brain is operational, it more or less functions with the same capacity as any other brain of similar I/O layout.
Sorry for this not being very political.
The test can be easily argued to be about any aspect of human interaction. How we came to be what we are, and what we are, is wholly relevant to what we are capable of.
It doesn't take any confrontation to pick up a gun, take the advantage in a more deserted corner, shoot someone from behind and leave the scene.
No, but it sure takes a whole lot of guts. We're primarily a herding animal, so for most of us it's going to be pretty hard to even pick up that gun while we're thinking about doing something like that. Let alone loading it.
If people are not reasonable but emotional, why do you trust them to do the right choice(s)?
It's how I define the right choice:
What is a «right choice»?
Obviously we each have our own opinion on what is the right choice in any given situation. In a majority of situations, we ultimately share the same goals, and we only really tend to differ on which method is the best one to get there. Evolution has primed us to certain goals that are fairly global. Maybe some alien civilization will disagree, but seeing as we haven't met any yet, we have no reason to question that our emotional want for peace is the "wrong" decision.
Are you saying that is the emotional answer is always the right choice?
The emotional answer is always the right choice that your brain can make. That is, everything you have learned and reflected on is going to push you to make a certain decision. That decision was the best decision you could have made at the time with the information you had. If there is a better choice, then hopefully you will have time to reflect and/or research before you are forced to make the decision.
Are you saying that people know how to judge when the emotional response is the right one and when the logical one is the right one?
Logic doesn't make decisions. Emotions do. We don't not kill each other because it is the logical thing to do. The reason we don't kill each other is because we understand the logic of the process. If you kill someone, then other people will kill you. (This is of course a gross simplification.) Logic doesn't say that the conclusion of you dying is "bad" or "wrong," logic simply is that which leads you to that conclusion from those premises. It takes emotion for you to decide that you don't want to die. (Or for a murderer, it takes emotion to decide to take that risk.)
Do you find this simple?
I do.
Well, being implicit in that statement that believing otherwise is the illogical thing to believe, I feel insulted.
You misread. I am saying that what I want to believe is the illogical stance. It is not logical to believe it, because the conditions that would lead to that conclusion have not been met in my mind. I want to believe it, but logic, paired with my observations, lead me to the opposite conclusion. What I am doing is conducting an experiment to see if what I want to believe it correct. I am testing to see if there is some route, some way, somehow, that what I want can be achieved without a powerful AI forcing it on us.

I don't want to let loose an AI on us unless I really have to.
Looking at nowadays' teenagers, «everyone is rational» is absolutely NOT the logical thing to assume.
But understand, logic does not exist in the brain. Logic must be obtained. Our brains are not pre-wired to know how the world works, and how to construct a wind turbine. This information must be acquired. This process of acquiring information takes time and effort. It it a process. It takes more or less time for any given person. For me, it took two decades. Whether a biological limitation, a physical time limit, or a sociological problem that can be overcome with the proper nurture sequence, as it stands now, you cannot expect very many teenagers at all to be working with a full set of logic.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I found this: http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html may allow you to get a more accurate view since they allow you put neutral opinion and whether the question matters a lot or too little.

HFR's result:
19x26.gif

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I do not believe in anarchy.
Anarchy is chaos in my eyes.
So is democracy, apparently... so claimed Platão or whatever was his name, still in Ancient Greece.

I think I might take a quiz again sometime, I feel that these results are sort of weird. I thought I'd get a tyranny set on war politics (non-interventionist / neo-conservative). THEY INSIST I'M A COMMUNIST -_-
13x16.gif
n33.gif

c38.gif

Level 13
I believe Communism doesn't have to be authoritarian or libertarian, I hear Stalin being called a communist and he's way further up than I am on the Y axis.

Communism should stay true to Marx's ideals, not become some kind of umbrella term, if you ask me. Ah, opinions.

Democracy is just as horrible.
Dictatorships are the best.
Having the people decide on something is only seen as the best approach because the people are also deciding whether their ability to contribute anything to their community means something to them.

It's like asking an obese kid if he likes candy.

edit
I know making the people happy is important, but actually, it's not. People should not be happy, they should be taught discipline and they should be happy with they have.
Feel free to disagree.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I just checked out the Wikipedia article and it seems to agree with you, though. Still, I know nothing of communism, so, no need to try to convince me.

EDIT: By the way, when I wrote that democracy is also chaos, I meant only that it would be similar to anarchy in that regard.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

9x36.gif

n4.gif

c9.gif

The quiz is still has too specific scenarios and too vague formulations to give a proper idea of my political view. :/

Level 7
pcgraphpng.php

Edit: so here are my personal views, i don't know if they conflict with the chart or not.

I am against government welfare
I am against outlawing weapons
I am against public schools
I am for being neutral, ie not involved in something like NATO
I am against government health care
I am for a less strong central Government and stronger local government.
I am a constitutionalist

so do you think the charts placement is right?

Last edited:
Level 4
Here's my result from politicalcompass:
pcgraphpng.php

I always thought that I'm extremally libertarian - leftist.
And here's Political Spectrum Quiz result:
13x20.gif

n31.gif

c41.gif

Fact: Most Hive users are Libertarian - Leftist while most of the EU and US politicians are Authoritarian - Rightists.

Last edited:
Level 22
Here be my derpy result from the politicalspectrum test (I really don't like this one. So many idiotic questions):

5x26.gif

I had to answer a lot of "matters little" because the questions were blatantly stupid and unanswerable for me due to the phrasing.

Here is the old one from the much better (IMO) politicalcompass:
pcgraphpng.php

The results aren't that different, but that's because I answered the same on the politicalspectrum test as I did on the politicalcompass test on the questions I could answer.

And because of this, you feel they should all be oppressed into oblivion?

No. I dislike people, so I don't care.
I don't do what's right, I do what will induce the best outcome.
Doing what's 'right' just takes us back to the Dark ages of religion.

This smells daddy issues, man.

No. I am actually incredibly lucky to have a father like mine.

Level 13
The best outcome? You have a nihilistic approach to morality, but still postulate that one outcome can be better than the other?

Consider: if you oppress everyone to shit, they won't exactly work with zealous fervor, and they're likely to rebel at some point - with this, they will rebuke all cultural values instilled by the tyranny, and probably reverse progress in one way or another.

However, if you manipulate politics, and have the people appoint a benevolent, capable leader (note: this can be done through simple manipulation of votes, too) who is able to go through a thorough cultural reform, you'll have much better results - and people who are happy with it.

The people's happiness correlates directly to their efficacy.

Also, the universe doesn't give a shit about anything, so there is no "best" outcome. We'll all burn to death one day, anyway.

No. I am actually incredibly lucky to have a father like mine.

Smells daddy issues, man.

Uh, no. I'm saying there is no best outcome. Read my post over again.

I repeat:

You're assuming that our definitions of 'Best outcome' are similar.

You assumed that by "best outcome", I was referring to something political, economical or whatever.

So, to clear up that misconception, I added:

I'm completely egotistic.

To give you the idea that by "Best outcome", I mean the best outcome for my life.
I don't care about anyone because I don't have to and don't want to.

Last edited:
Level 6
To give you the idea that by "Best outcome", I mean the best outcome for my life.
I don't care about anyone because I don't have to and don't want to.
That's because you're what, 15? No one gives a shit about anyone but themselves when they're around that age; teenagers.
I'm pretty sure you'll grow to care for and appreciate other people.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That's because you're what, 15? No one gives a shit about anyone but themselves when they're around that age; teenagers.
I'm pretty sure you'll grow to care for and appreciate other people.
Not like anyone really gives a damn about anyone else even at adult age, unless they're “useful” in some way. It's one of the reasons why being young is always better.

Level 13
Let me introduce you to psychology!

Everyone is ultimately egocentric. What differs is how they express it.

You care about other people because not caring about them makes you feel bad; conversely, doing good deeds makes you feel good.

Level 6
Not like anyone really gives a damn about anyone else even at adult age, unless they're “useful” in some way. It's one of the reasons why being young is always better.
That depends entirely on the person. From my personal experience, a majority of teenagers generally do not care for other people and a majority of adults do. It's a part of growing up.
Note that you may be fooled to believe otherwise because caring behavior is considered normal behavior, which would mean you only notice abnormal, as it sticks out. That is, for example, being a total dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.