• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I suppose we can count on at least the HE-111 finished, Vuorma?

And no Italian armor in open beta ?

In the initial release? Depends if you want a open beta teaser/trailer or the HE-111.

And the italian armor has always been planned to be added if we had enough space, which I think we do not if we'll have to add a chinese soldier model too..

Level 5
Yeah but I think they wanted to add officers and flamethrowers to the allies as well, not to mention that Germans and Italians don't have them too.

Level 12
I suppose we can count on at least the HE-111 finished, Vuorma?

And no Italian armor in open beta ?

Update:
Just skyping with Fin, got my 3dsmax working again. But we did also notice my 3dsmax scene files didn't come along with my backup before I format my computer.. So all but the HE111 texture is lost. (which we will probably remake anyway now)

Now, we'd like to ask you all if you think we should make the HE111 or Junkers Ju88.

HE111
Built: ~6k
Used by: Germany only (of which nations there are in WiF)
JU88
Built: ~15k
Used by: Finland, Germany and Italy (of which nations there are in WiF)

The HE111 might look prettier, but that's why we're asking you.

HE111:
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-343-0694-21%2C_Belgien-Frankreich%2C_Flugzeug_Heinkel_He_111.jpg

revell-he-111-h6-stbd-rear.jpg

JU88:
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-363-2258-11%2C_Flugzeug_Junkers_Ju_88.jpg

ju88c232_82.jpg

We will also use some other stuff like the widgetizer to remove unused unit data sheets, and squshers, compressers and so on. Still, we can't go at exactly 8mb, i'd say somewhere around 7.9 would be max. Flamethrower variants require 100kb EACH in actual space, maybe 30-40 compressed, so it is a tight squeese, not counting the german bomber model.

Anyways, i also thought, and i think this was up for discussion earlier: do you think maybe we could have different untis for other nations instead of the flamer? Say, if one unit had mortar teams (that as i also once suggested, could fire smoke rounds that causes all affected infantry to dodge 50% of incoming attacks), or maybe medics that greately increases the life regen of nearby units (or maybe has an active heal)?

I'm just rabbling, but let me know what you think about this.. on the one hand the flamer has an important role to fill (low-cost anti building infantry) and besides, it would be cool to have some variation?

Level 5
Basicly most of these ideas could be done by using attachments of course, so every side could use medics/flamethrowers etc.

Level 48
In the initial release? Depends if you want a open beta teaser/trailer or the HE-111.

And the italian armor has always been planned to be added if we had enough space, which I think we do not if we'll have to add a chinese soldier model too..

Chinese Soldier > Italian Armor!

Remember to use MDX Squisher, and you can optimze your textures by opening them in Magos and saving them with a quality of 60%-80%. 70%-80% doesn't seem to harm the quality at all, and 60% is minor.

And optimizing the map will also reduce the filesize.

P.S: JU88 for filesize's sake! (They look very similar in my eyes, either way.)

We will also use some other stuff like the widgetizer to remove unused unit data sheets, and squshers, compressers and so on. Still, we can't go at exactly 8mb, i'd say somewhere around 7.9 would be max. Flamethrower variants require 100kb EACH in actual space, maybe 30-40 compressed, so it is a tight squeese, not counting the german bomber model.

Anyways, i also thought, and i think this was up for discussion earlier: do you think maybe we could have different untis for other nations instead of the flamer? Say, if one unit had mortar teams (that as i also once suggested, could fire smoke rounds that causes all affected infantry to dodge 50% of incoming attacks), or maybe medics that greately increases the life regen of nearby units (or maybe has an active heal)?

I'm just rabbling, but let me know what you think about this.. on the one hand the flamer has an important role to fill (low-cost anti building infantry) and besides, it would be cool to have some variation?

Russian Spetsnaz snipers go go? :D

Basicly most of these ideas could be done by using attachments of course, so every side could use medics/flamethrowers etc.

They want the texture to be different so that the units could be recognized at first glance, I suppose?

Level 9
Honestly, I think the JU-88 fits better (since it was more produced and used by those countries), although I think the HE-111 looks cooler.

I like the idea of mortar teams. Also, Finns could have molotov soldiers :p

Level 2
I think you should make chinese soldiers. it is a little strange that they have german soldiers :eekani:

I think the medics are a very good idea and that every country should have them but you dont need to make a new model for each just use the same.

I CANT WAIT TO TRY THE MAP! YOU PEOPLE ARE AWESOME! (almost as awesome as me :ogre_haosis:)

Level 22

Remember to use MDX Squisher, and you can optimze your textures by opening them in Magos and saving them with a quality of 60%-80%. 70%-80% doesn't seem to harm the quality at all, and 60% is minor.

And optimizing the map will also reduce the filesize.

P.S: JU88 for filesize's sake! (They look very similar in my eyes, either way.)

Russian Spetsnaz snipers go go? :D

They want the texture to be different so that the units could be recognized at first glance, I suppose?

Map optimizers seem to 'cause major glitches in my maps when I use them, so I stick to texture compression and model compression.

Last time I optimized a map, all of the tooltips were missing, triggers were gone, it was a nightmare lol.
Also the HE-111 is much cooler, the HE models really scream Nazi Germany.

Level 9
i think it will be nice if you add to:

Chinese-soldier.
italy-soldier,armor.
britain-RedDEvils(british airborne or maybe officer),churchill tank.

and maybe you should use ju88 becouse it is used by germany,italy an finland.
But the HE-111 looks awesome.

I don't really understand that. Infantry take more space than armor (1 soldier == 2 tanks) and Italy was a more prominent faction in WW2.

But yeah, LOADS of people have been commenting on the chineese infantry, so we might just be forced to make them, lol!

As for the other stuff, we already use both the optimizer (it works great) and texture compression rate of "50" (highest possible without too much quality loss) and have planned to use MDXSquish for all models, aswell as another program that removes duplicate frames. I would also love to see a program that rounds the coordinates of vertices, that would save loads of space.

We use the same texture for the flamer as for the regular soldier, and yes, it would be possible to combine it with the soldier/engineer to save maybe around 30% of the model size, but when i was making it, i just felt like it was too messy to make theese animations in the same file as the soldier and engineer since both their animations already took up thousands of frames, and it felt really messy to have to browse through them while animating, and the model would end up getting 25+ animations. Basically, it just felt better to make it into a separate.

@RollBoat: Yeah, Churchill and some other british stuff would be really great (maybe lancaster bomber), they really don't have enough unique units as it is. But then, there is the space issue again. Perhaps if i can find ways to further reduce it.

Finally, i think the choice between HE and JU is pretty damn hard; HE111 got all the good looks but JU-87 was used by all nations that will have it in the game. I have no idea which one to pick.

Level 5

I don't really understand that. Infantry take more space than armor (1 soldier == 2 tanks) and Italy was a more prominent faction in WW2.

Don't get me wrong but Italy didn't do that much during whole war... that's at least my opinion. Perhaps Chinese front wasn't as spectacular as any other but well, that is something new to most people who are not aware that China fought as well.

Finally, i think the choice between HE and JU is pretty damn hard; HE111 got all the good looks but JU-87 was used by all nations that will have it in the game. I have no idea which one to pick.

To be honest I think that JU-87 is more common, I've heard about it so many times that it convinced me that it was one of most common bombers ever used lol.

Level 9
Italy participated more than China, in my opinion. Plus, Italy could battle more in what would probably be the main front of the game (Europe) than China.

Italy: North African Campaign, South-Eastern Europe (Greece) and Invasion of Italy.

China: Sino-Japanese war.

Level 12
Don't get me wrong but Italy didn't do that much during whole war... that's at least my opinion. Perhaps Chinese front wasn't as spectacular as any other but well, that is something new to most people who are not aware that China fought as well.

To be honest I think that JU-87 is more common, I've heard about it so many times that it convinced me that it was one of most common bombers ever used lol.

Both of you, we're talking about the JU-88, not JU-87 which is the Stuka. :eekani:

And sure, Italy didn't do well in fighting but still it participated on many fronts and is one of the three axis nations in Europe.

Level 5
Definitely an accurate statement, Italy folded as soon as American boots hit the sand.

As far as I know they even lost against African people armed with spears.
Until they scared them off with tanks.:ogre_hurrhurr:

Not to mention that ridiculous fail in Alpines where they failed badly even with huge amount of men advantage.

Im not really up for flame wars now and I don't want to start them. But you just have to admit the fact that Italy wasn't really helpfull, it looked like they were pretending to do anything so Germans would be pleased and give them some nice gifts... Yet, in my opinion, Finland was more usefull.
But you are right, it is official that Italy was pretty important for Axis.

Sorry about that mistake with junkers and stuka, it was kinda late and I didn't think about that while posting.

why don't you give to british solders sten II,bag,red hat to get a british soldier look.

I wanted to give british soldiers a red hat like the one those guys have, but Vuorma thought it would look like they were all officers. Instead they got the tommy helmet.

Sten is so minor you would propably not notice, but yeah, i could fix that. Minimum space requirement anyways.

Level 9
I wanted to give british soldiers a red hat like the one those guys have, but Vuorma thought it would look like they were all officers. Instead they got the tommy helmet.

Sten is so minor you would propably not notice, but yeah, i could fix that. Minimum space requirement anyways.

"No image available".

I'm curious about the Mortar Teams and Machinegunners btw :p

Level 22
As far as I know they even lost against African people armed with spears.
Until they scared them off with tanks.:ogre_hurrhurr:

Not to mention that ridiculous fail in Alpines where they failed badly even with huge amount of men advantage.

Im not really up for flame wars now and I don't want to start them. But you just have to admit the fact that Italy wasn't really helpfull, it looked like they were pretending to do anything so Germans would be pleased and give them some nice gifts... Yet, in my opinion, Finland was more usefull.
But you are right, it is official that Italy was pretty important for Axis.

Sorry about that mistake with junkers and stuka, it was kinda late and I didn't think about that while posting.

I was agreeing with you if you lost context in my post.

Level 5
I know, I was just giving some examples so it wouldn't look like im just trollin about what Italy was doing during WW2.
And then I said the other stuff so people are aware of that it wasn't meant to offend anyone.

On topic.
How is your progress on open beta guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.