• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World War One: ISH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
World War One: ISH Version 3.0 (Download)

A World War One strategy game made by me with testing and support from Clan WW1 (now dead) and Clan QUAM and various more minor groups, World War One: ISH relives the Great War in its trench warfare, massive artillery usage, naval combat, deployment of chemical weapons, and much, much more from the strategic perspective. Following a historically accurate timeline, there is little deviation from the actual course of events that is not caused directly by the players' actions during the game. Will the war remain an Entente victory, or will the Centrals triumph?

(Info moved to the map thread)

I hope you enjoy the game as much as I enjoyed making it!

Attachments

• ISH_Battle_France_Germany.PNG
    ISH_Battle_France_Germany.PNG
    572 KB · Views: 284
  • ISH_Battle_Germany_Russia.PNG
    ISH_Battle_Germany_Russia.PNG
    668.3 KB · Views: 252
  • ISH_Battle_Naval.PNG
    ISH_Battle_Naval.PNG
    412.7 KB · Views: 223
  • ISH_Battleship_Torpedo.PNG
    ISH_Battleship_Torpedo.PNG
    316.7 KB · Views: 194
  • ISH_Tooltip_Barracks.PNG
    ISH_Tooltip_Barracks.PNG
    58.1 KB · Views: 170
  • ISH_Tooltip_Factory.PNG
    ISH_Tooltip_Factory.PNG
    55.7 KB · Views: 208
  • ISH_Battle_Naval_Landing.PNG
    ISH_Battle_Naval_Landing.PNG
    533.9 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Level 40
PurplePoot and a map? That's an interesting combination. I'l be glad to check it out as it looks quite promising. Although the water is too blue, and I can see a lack of dodoads in the pictures, still quite nice.
There used to be a lot of doodads, but I deleted them due to the fact that they had an annoying tendency to get in the way. Now there are only trees in strategic locations, as well as cliffs.

Level 15
GO PURPLEPOOT!
Even though I have yet to try the map, I am assured it will be of great quality because you made it :D
I can't believe how long it has been since you stepped down, I miss you as a Mod.
I will feedback ASAP!
EDIT: I tried it and I found the map less impressive then I thought it would have been. I expected PurplePoot to have done some good spells and such for the map :(
However, the gameplay itself is rather interesting and fun. I like how Merchant ships sail around and stuff.

Last edited:
Level 34
Make it good Poot, I love great concepts but I hate lousy results. And don't put the 'Netherlands went to war too'-event in the game, they didn't fought allong..

Level 40
TDB, I ended up including Netherlands and Denmark as options for Germany and GB to declare war on because they are otherwise so 'in the way' of the coast (especially for Germany). However, they don't declare war automatically.

Zack, spells of that sort have no place in a world war one game, for a few reasons:

• There are a lot of units (and that's on purpose), and thus speed needs to be taken into heavy consideration. Combined with the fact that enuming all these units would be slow in itself, that means complex or area of effect spells are unfeasible.
  • Last time I checked, there were no mages in world war one (Even medics are pushing it).
  • Quite frankly, for the spells that are in, flame strike (gas) and heal (medics) work just fine - I don't see why I should code custom spells for something which has a default spell which works exactly the way I want it to.

As CG said, flash will come later if at all. I'm not really sure what it needs (if anything) in that department, though.

Level 15
Ok, maybe custom spells is not such a good idea :p
Anyway, how come there are not Gererals or Commanders and such. I don't know why but I like heroes in games.
Anyways, I don't know why the trench has about 7 duplicates of the same ability. I have no idea how a unit can have so many abilities :p. Why is it like that? Cos it looks really weird with seven abilties used at once.
Also, maybe there could be a way to increase the amount of gold those Merchant ships provide you with. Maybe it could be based on how much goods you have and stuff.

I didn't get to try this map with others so I might not be giving the best feedback :p

Level 40
Generals - I'm considering it, but I do not by any means want them to be "super units" if they exist.

Trench - That is a display bug on Commonwealth/British trenches and will be fixed as of 1.3 (Already done, but I'm doing some more changes in the mean time).

Merchants - Perhaps, but I don't want them to be too strong. They're already a lot of income for the allies in the first place, especially if they manage to defend Sevastopol, Cyprus, Sicily, Ireland, etc.

Level 15
Hmm... I was just thinking, since Generals are kinda for planning attacks and such, maybe they should just be support units who can "Plan" an attack. It should probably have a channeling time of about 20 seconds or something. If the General finishes a plan, all allied units will gain morale from having a solid plan, thus being able to perform better in combat or something.
Also, maybe there could be something like an Artillery that can bomb stuff from really far away but with some requirements for each shot (maybe he needs to load a round or something that takes 1 minute to load and some money as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.