• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

WW1 - The Road to War!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
My map has actually been in BETA mode for a very long time, and I'm constantly tweaking, and I've still not managed to add everything that I am envisioning in the "final" edition of it. However, it's very much playable, and has certainly spread a bit around US East....

I apologize greatly for the fact that it is protected - I had released it unprotected, as seems to be popular mapmaking opinion, and then my map was atrociously stolen, and my name wiped off...not to mention that I feel that the "editing" is a real mockery of what my map should be! I even confronted the editors, Sieg and Hoar, and got a most rude and barbaric response from them...but anyways:

WW1 - TRtW is a historical strategy map, with similar income/capture systems to maps such as Europa. It's terrain is based on a model of the actual Continent of Europe/Middle East/North Africa (certainly a ***** to make from scratch xD), with players participating as Allied, Central, and/or neutral nations in the war. Part of its strategy involves trenches and defensive methods, as these were a very major part of WW1, and players will find that smart uses of trenches/Bunkers can defeat much larger forces.

Anyways, there's still a bunch of things I have in mind to add, such as a date timer/timeline, additional historical events, specific artillery models, an aerial system, and chemical warfare. In Warcraft, I'm LlamaNamedOsama@USEast, and I hope you enjoy my map! :grin:

Attachments

• World War One Road to War Protected.w3m
    509.5 KB · Views: 116
Level 10
Yeah, I generally save them to .bmp files in MSPaint, then use the attach function. Just open the screen-shot in paint, then save it. You can upload it directly from your machine or from a URL (if you prefer to host it on imageshack or what have you first, that's okay, it's just another step).

Level 20
I played the map few times on bnet and i think :
-flamethrowers are imba
-artillery should have longer range
-machine guns should have longer range
-Threre should be Tip for neutrals at the start to tell them how to choos side , most of ppl didnt know what to do and left the game ;p
-the revolution in russia is annoying for red , sometimes they leave when it comes to it
-There should be tip for serbia and other small countrys to tell them that they can still play after loosing in main country
-german mercenery sytem in africa is wird

EDIT:
-lack od shortcuts for buildings

Last edited:
Level 5
Well, I do realize that I need to place intro messages for all players, especially regarding Serbia and such. As for flamethrower imbalance, I haven't really encountered that at all, really, since a good infantry mob > a good flame mob, especially with the higher price for flamethrowers...

Also, the German "mercenary" system was actual a simulation of German guerilla efforts in Africa - although German colonies in Africa had been taken quickly by the allies, German resistance forces led a guerilla war that actually lasted even longer than the actual war in Europe...

As for howitzer/MG range, I suppose I'll take that into consideration :p...

Russian revolution - meh, those players are just being newb b****es, just like newbs that will leave just because they lost their fleet or something...

Level 4
Well, I do realize that I need to place intro messages for all players, especially regarding Serbia and such. As for flamethrower imbalance, I haven't really encountered that at all, really, since a good infantry mob > a good flame mob, especially with the higher price for flamethrowers...

Also, the German "mercenary" system was actual a simulation of German guerilla efforts in Africa - although German colonies in Africa had been taken quickly by the allies, German resistance forces led a guerilla war that actually lasted even longer than the actual war in Europe...

As for howitzer/MG range, I suppose I'll take that into consideration :p...

Russian revolution - meh, those players are just being newb b****es, just like newbs that will leave just because they lost their fleet or something...
im assuming the russian revolution spawns enemies in their country? if so, you should make sure you balance russia accordingly. meaning, they should have advantages others dont to counter the russian revolution, and still be in the game. sure its a historical even you want to put it, but things like that make 1 country weaker and less attractive to everyone.

Level 5
im assuming the russian revolution spawns enemies in their country? if so, you should make sure you balance russia accordingly. meaning, they should have advantages others dont to counter the russian revolution, and still be in the game. sure its a historical even you want to put it, but things like that make 1 country weaker and less attractive to everyone.

Actually, both I and all other veteran players of my map have agreed that Russia is a bit too strong, as various "toning downs" have been made, including the Russian revolution - Russia with an experienced player almost always dominated the two main centrals (germ/austria), and of course the Russians are clearly still in the game.

Level 5
Sebia loses all time , there is no way to win for them , i would rather make it creep , and make spain from start as playable.

...Well first of all, creep wouldn't work out, since even the allies could take them over - second of all, yes, Serbia loses, but Serbia ALSO gets to become another country that was involved in the war - Spain, however, was absolutely not at all involved, neutral, and would simply upset the game's balance.

Level 5
Plz upload yor europe terrain its so damn good ;p

Lol, I actually don't think it's that good xD, (it's not truly "finished")...plus imo soe's terrain is better XD!

BTw, I'm having a slight problem with my map - I'm trying to implement models, but they somehow won't work! I do believe I've taken all the right steps - dled it from wc3sear.ch's database, I've imported both the .blp and .mdl file that were the only ones from the download, changed the pathing, and put it as unit model - yet in editor, it only appears as a green checkered box, and in game, it is just a shadow that can't be selected! Why won't the unit skin work? :sad:

Level 3
for air, look up pilot systems v1.1 in spells, its awesome if u gave credit you could have certain players = raf etc

Level 20
here is Mark model for only 32 kb
models_3356_screenshot.jpg

fighter model for only 38kb
models_3354_screenshot.jpg

and Battleship for only 90 kb xD
models_3375_screenshot.jpg

might be usefull for you :p

Level 5
Erm, I'm having a bit of trouble with other skins. I'm trying to use the Bunker one, except that it has some 8 different files - I tried pathing all the texture ones to Textures\(file) as I did the one file for the destroyer, but that didn't seem to work... How do you work the bunker file ? XD

Level 5
I'm back! Sorry, but I was away for 2 weeks on vacation...Unfortunately, production on my map has slowed...to a standstill. Sadly, my school's in a week...And I'll have loads of work...Any editing will be minimal.. :sad:.. I've released a 2.1 awhile ago, but only played it once or twice - I don't know how much, if at all, it spread...

Level 20
your map was stolen once again :p
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/27764/
they also used my and other hive models and didnt give credits

- - - -

could you give me link to 2.1 version :p?
-----
version with destroyer model got buggeed collison size , ships are too big collison to small , also 1 model as 6 types of ships looks wird xd you could use my models instead xD all together they weight less than model that you used :p
your map doesnt need any huge updates , only aircrafts and mb some chemical warfare
--some new models that could help you
merchant ship
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/3436/
light cruiser
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/3457/
destroyer
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/3443/
packed and unpacked artillery
models_3470_screenshot_tn.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/3470/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/models/3471/

Last edited:
Level 13
Nah that's the same people who stole it before. Llama should let someone else continue his work such as....ME :D I would take NO credit at all I would just be fixing and adding appropriate stuff. And if not me someone else like Kofi just don't let this map die... :)

Level 5
Wow Kofi, thanks so much for all of those fantastic skins! :thumbs_up:, you're really good at making them!

Lol James, you have an account here, too, eh? =P...Well dude, I never said I would stop, I still am working on it, and I just won't work on it as much since school's popping up, and I'll be real busy. However, production will continue! :grin:...in fact, I hope to release 2.2 before school starts!

Level 5
Oh, you guys never noticed 2.1 was on epicwar? XD!....Though, due to a typo, its also known as 2.01...anyways, I'm working to make sure that 2.2 is released by sunday! XD...It will be a NEAR-FINISHED VERSION (yay!) :grin:...

On a sidenote, me and a couple of buds looking at one of the more recent versions of the map edition stolen from mine (that great war one...)...It's a pure mockery of a map, really xD...

Level 20
-mobile aa gun is bugged
-map size :/ did you compress the textures?
-collison size of ships need to be fixed , also ingame models looked better than one model for all kinds of ships
-i think you should add info fo air system
-armored car scale is too small , smaller than infantry xd
-terran bunker and airfiled takes most of the map size i think , instead you could use illidans(evil)x RA1 model of pillbox and airfiled for them , you can find them on illidans RA project site (or my 13 kb bunker xd)

maybe you rushed too much makin this ^^ for now 2.00 is the best version.

Level 5
-mobile aa gun is bugged
-map size :/ did you compress the textures?
-collison size of ships need to be fixed , also ingame models looked better than one model for all kinds of ships
-i think you should add info fo air system
-armored car scale is too small , smaller than infantry xd
-terran bunker and airfiled takes most of the map size i think , instead you could use illidans(evil)x RA1 model of pillbox and airfiled for them , you can find them on illidans RA project site (or my 13 kb bunker xd)

maybe you rushed too much makin this ^^ for now 2.00 is the best version.

-AA gun? Ooh, didn't notice that, (no one had used it yet XD), thanks for the notice :p
-collision: alright, larger, right? it didn't seem to bother anyone I played with, but I'll go ahead and fix it :)
-air info: yep, I spose many are newbs and have never encountered a&a style before XD
-car: oops :grin:
-Size of map: Well, sure it grew bigger, but it still is pretty darn small compared to mostly any major map...I haven't seen any problems with it being too big...but anyways, compress the textures? Er...how exactly is that accomplished, and what does that do? XD...

"Whoa you jumped there. Awesome. Don't rush it though :D" - I'm not exactly rushing - versions 2.2 through 2.6 were actually just testings of the new version XD...

Level 7
Add some screen shot dammit -- also go spam the guy who ripped off your maps thread like a true mapper would due!

Instructions on how to spam the people threads who stole your masterpiece: 1) Write a nasty message like: (persons name here) STOLLE MY MAP! BAN HIM!. 2) Highlight nasty message. 3) hit [Ctrl] + [C] 4) start a post on the gusy thread 5) hold down [Ctrl] [V] 6) Click post reply (or w/e it is on that site) 7) Repeat. But wait what happens if they ban your account -- well then execute plan ---';X;'--- . Plan ---';X;'--- : Create a new account then follow: Istrctions on how to spam the people threads who stole your masterpiece.

Glad I could help

Level 1
Loving the map right now, wish it was played a bit more. Hopefully you do good with this map, reminds me of the old Starcraft ww1 maps a wee bit.

Somethings Id like to point out, maybe good maybe not.

- Possibly more barracks at start, everyone ends up just making a bunch anyways.
- If you want a real ww1 feel, make infantry die easily, and defenses good, and infantry cheaper and faster to make.

- Russia needs to be toned down a bit. Cause although I haven't played enough... If germany is being bogged down in the west by good france/uk, Austria is bogged down with having to border up Italy and then deal with Serbs leaving a russian attack to be devastating.

- Overall I love the map, keep up the good work, if I notice anything else Ill add. But really like it.

Level 13
Pfft Russia is all I play and personally taking germanies polish lands is what you do at start. Then you build trench ALLLL around Austria's shit and press into Germany. Germany ain't so tough.

BTW I've used this strat alot and have never lost :p

Level 5
Any clans around this map yet? Or good rooms for this game? I cant find people to paly with.

Well, my AMek clan plays it pretty frequently (USEast) :grin:...

3.1 Released, things are going great, lots of more revamps...

I've hit a snag, though. I've developed U-Boats, but somehow I can't get them to work! >.<...When they submerge, they can't be attacked.. =/...

The way it works is that the submerged form of the u-boat is considered an "ancient", and that the Destroyer's secondary attack is the only attack that can target ancient. But somehow it doesn't work! :sad:...any ideas on this?

(P.S., I've forgotten to put screenshots up here for quite awhile - the next time I get a game going, I think I'll get up some nice shots of the game!)

Status
Not open for further replies.