• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Oil consumption !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Not that any of you give a dam but did you know the world consumes a approx of 80,000,000 barrels of oil a day. that 1000barrels a second. Does this prove how important oil is to us ?? fuel, plastics, roads e.g
do we need to do something ?
Tell me your views :nehap:

World+Oil+Consumption+Per+Capita-Downey-Oil+101.png

oil-consumption-country-comparison-total-and-per-capita-gdp-per-capita.jpg

Level 9
World Major Problem !

You are the ones driving your 4X4s consuming the oil but you still just dont care ! Ok fine if any of you had an operation you shouldnt of had it !! Becuase plastic gloves used by surgeons are in fact oil based. Dont bother driving your cars. Dont use any plastic products. Dont even bloody eat because your food is imported into supermarkets by trucks (Fueled by oil). Dont go on holiday ! No electricity ! AND MUCH MORE. If you say
"so what" then you are a pethetic excuss for a human being !
Yeah a discussion about warcraft is great but give a attempt to be more grown up

If you do care and look at the obserd 1 second consumption then please share your ideas how to use oil more efficiently. ------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Level 11
none of us?!?!? you can't really support that....

but ne way im just gonna say.... lets up future inventors, scientists, etc... figure a way to provide new ideas and products that could change our ways of living... if we don't and lose all natural resources without caring or anything else.... humans aren't so intelligent after all, but lets hope someone could find an alternative to oil :D hehe

Level 5
sry, but I'm only 16 and I'm too scared to drive a car xDD then how do YOU drive to school/work - if you have a work/go to school huh?? do you just walk those 100 km?? no - you drive a car 'cuz of it >.>
and also plasitc isn't such a good thing - when you have plastic bottle, its recycling is better than recycling a plastic ^^ and also - oil isn't the only thing we have on the earth - we can use water efffectivly too ^^ but - we don't have much clean water, do we?? so OIL ain't the ONLY prob' on the world ^^ and also - fires, global warming and other catastrophes (cannot name it in eng xDD ehm-hm.. xD) so I don't think, that you'll solve it in ONE post on the hive >__> just take a sweet nap and think about the apocalypse - how it can be a sweet end of these shitty things, okay?? :)) (I do it sometimes, when I have depression ^^)

Level 11
Energy alternatives exist. They just aren't used because oil is so cheap that it isn't viable to use any other source of energy.

When the world supply of oil dwindles, the price of oil will increase, thus making other energy alternatives viable. Simple economics.

Also, as oil prices increase, people will find other sources of oil. There is a ton of oil in Canada that no one has really begun extracting due to the fact that it is more expensive.

Level 11
that is very true.... but for sources of energy for any vehicle... i would highly recommend Hyrdrogen..... because its EVERYWHERE!!! :D hehe

Level 9
Yeah i agree ! Hydrogen, powerful so it can be used in a modifacated combustion engine. Well might as well build one from scratch ^^. But unfortunatly hydrogen is very explosive. I suggest for the time being we use electric cars. Chargers are the petrol stations and there we will need a Huge nuclear power plant constructed to supply the electricity needed.

Ill continue tomorrow

Looking forward to seeing more comments

You do realize, yes, oil destroys the O-Zone layer, but not near as bad as rocket ships going through it.

And then you have people that complain about freon from AC's, you can let all the freon out of every AC in the world, and not do nears as much damage as a rocket.

And about the electric cars, they do not run solely on electricity.

Level 30
We need oil to be burned every day to increase the flow of CO2 in our atmosphere.
CO2 is also known as magic and it's needed to destroy the wandering souls of the restless death. So our aura won't be violated by them any longer. If our aura is restored, we'll be able to stop burning so much oil. But for now, we must continue!

Level 12
If we put our knowledge of drilling for oil to good use drilling for geothermal, we could easily solve our energy problems. Bio fuel is a joke AFAIK and fusion requires deuterium and tritium which aren't exactly renewable or easy to come by. Waiting for "simple economics" to make oil more expensive than other renewable sources is so stupid. /facepalm

Scientists have recently increased voltaic efficiency to 60% (up from 10-15%). Not only that, but they are developing it like a paint, so you could paint solar panels on your house. Currently it cannot be mass produced though and it may be 6-10 years before it can be, so I think geothermal is the best.

Every bit of oil we are using now should be put to use making these renewable energy sources.

Also, don't confuse hybrid cars with electric cars.

Level 18
Dreadnought[dA];1625728 said:
Waiting for "simple economics" to make oil more expensive than other renewable sources is so stupid. /facepalm

He never said it was a solution to the problem, just that it could make other sources more attractive in comparance. :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What a lot of people fail to realise is deploying solar energy (solar electricity) anywhere else than the equator costs energy instead of making energy cause the life of the cells are shorter than the payback time for the energy used to make them. Although modern processes could increase the band of useful solar, it will never mean that placing solar cells in the UK would ever be productive.

Geothermal energy is another option, too bad selfish humans are not willing to risk it cause it is proven to cause faults to slip more easilly and thus release earthquakes (the joke is they actually save lives cause the earthquakes are smaller then without harvesting geothermal energy) but the liability means it cant be done.

Additionally if america kicked its ass into gear with its energy policies they could cut their oil consumption by 25% or more to be simlar to that of germany.

Last edited:
Level 11
Dreadnought[dA];1625728 said:
Waiting for "simple economics" to make oil more expensive than other renewable sources is so stupid. /facepalm
I never said it wasn't. Also, economics works both ways, by making other sources of energy cheaper/more efficient it makes them more viable. But regardless, thats beside the point.

Geothermal energy is probably our best long-term source of energy. Solar and wind power are good, but would only be efficient to use in certain areas of the world.

Level 12
Could you show a good article on fusion energy? The wiki says that it currently cannot produce more energy than it takes to sustain a reaction. I'm sure that will be overcome eventually, but right now I don't see evidence of it being viable yet.

Most articles I have come across are a little too technical for me. (I'm no physicist)

Level 12
Just like right now solar power is not very viable and neithor are bio fuels. Remember when flight was not viable or when GPS was not viable? Humans will overcome stumbling blocks eventually.

I know we'll overcome obstacles eventually, but it sounded like you were saying it's viable now. Also I really don't think bio fuels are a good idea, except as an alternative for making plastics.

Geothermal is viable right now, and it's available almost everywhere (especially at fault lines). It does require considerable "capital" (which is a bullshit term) up front for drilling, but companies drill for oil all the time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Geothermal is not viable cause the liability for it is too high and impossible to insure against. Yes the technology exists with the brand new gas drills and stuff but no company is willing to undergo the risk associated with geothermal energy.

What risk? The risk of if an earthquake happens you have to pay for the damages. Yes its that stupid and is actually a legal restriction more than physical. Thus blame lawyers.

Level 12
Geothermal is not viable cause the liability for it is too high and impossible to insure against. Yes the technology exists with the brand new gas drills and stuff but no company is willing to undergo the risk associated with geothermal energy.

What risk? The risk of if an earthquake happens you have to pay for the damages. Yes its that stupid and is actually a legal restriction more than physical. Thus blame lawyers.

Umm, read this link. Also, like you said, Geothermal is viable as long as governments change some stupid rules.

Level 25
What a lot of people fail to realise is deploying solar energy (solar electricity) anywhere else than the equator costs energy instead of making energy cause the life of the cells are shorter than the payback time for the energy used to make them. Although modern processes could increase the band of useful solar, it will never mean that placing solar cells in the UK would ever be productive.

Geothermal energy is another option, too bad selfish humans are not willing to risk it cause it is proven to cause faults to slip more easilly and thus release earthquakes (the joke is they actually save lives cause the earthquakes are smaller then without harvesting geothermal energy) but the liability means it cant be done.

Additionally if america kicked its ass into gear with its energy policies they could cut their oil consumption by 25% or more to be simlar to that of germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_engine
It's an old invention, but people are finally beginning to see the true power behind it.
I don't remember the year, but they said like 2020, we will be completely oil free, if people start to invest in it... Which they are doing all ready! :)

The worst thing that could happen now, is that China and India suddenly gave each person a car, powered with gas, that would be the end xD
---
Future of the Earth
This is not just about oil, but it sure is interesting!

Michio Kaku - Gobal Governance as a Future of Human Evolution
Even more interesting, and Michio is awesome!

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The sterling engines will not solve the world power problem. It will help combat it but the page you linked failed to mention the payback time against technologies used in simlar applications (payback as in both economical and total energy used to manufacture and install).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I still like my electric powered car idea though.
Someone apparently does not watch much Top Gear.

The problem with electric cars is the storing of the electricity. Batteries are too costly due to their use of rare elements and can not output enough urrent so the power of the moter can compare to a normal engine whereas hydrogen fuel is a dead end cause it comes from oil anyway.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
H2O is a molecule. It has covalent bonds/hydrogen bonds. Yes it naturally does form loose H+ and OH- ions suspended in itself (why water conducts) in a equilibrium reverse reaction but...
Firstly, the resistance of pure water due to its very low ion concentration is extreemly high and secondly the ammount of current consumed to produce the gas is also high. Not to mention that the reverable reaction is extreemly slow meaning that hydrogen is produced slowly. Do not forget to factor in that the conversion is less than 80% efficent. Electricity is also extreemly expensive, unlike oil.

So to cut costs, industry devised a very smart process called steam reforming. In this process, they get a long hydrocarbon chain and put it in the presence of a steam (as well as a catalist to lower activation point) to release hydrogen and harmless carbon dioxide. Usually this is done to methane (yes the same gas your digestion produces) from natural gas. The result is cheap hydrogen at upto 80% efficency.

Ok so both these methods seem equally efficent? No they are not as electrolysing water uses electricity from powerplants (often fossile fuled) with atmost 70% efficency (gas can obtain that). Thus there is a double wastage with the process and thus why it is uneconomical. Additionally if you want to use electrolysing water to fuel a hydrogen economy, you will have to build more power stations, like nuclear to keep up with the energy demands.

Currently research is being done if it would be possible to recycle carbon dioxide to a degree by using it to stimulate photosynthisis. A major limiting factor in photosynthisis is the concentration of carbon dioxide (it runs so fast, the stuff can not diffuse fast enough), thus by pumping exaust fumes from processes like steam reforming and fossil fuel power plants into sealed off areas with plant mater (like alge vats of greenhouses), you can actually increase their yield and thus boost the efficency of the process (as you can then factor in the energy it is permiting to be trapped via photosynthisis that is normally lost). You can then harvest these plants and convert them into bio fuels to help power your cars.

Additionally, an emphisis on car efficency will eventually occur. Often on the road you are stuck most of the time at sub 100 km/hour speeds so why make cars that can go faster (although efficency and speed are linked to a degree) if there is efficency to be gained (there might not but who knows).

Level 9
Lol never mind about the code thingy, ill find a way around it, i always seem to. Dark energy 78% & Dark matter 21% Black holes have infinate gravity so what is its mass ?? Infinity ?? Stars make all of the elements we see today, all the way up to Iron, thats when the star dies. When a supernova happens it creates the heavier elements beyond Iron. We know dark matter is there becuase of its gravity but we dont know what it is. Neutron stars are dead cores of dead stars. There density is amazing, a sugar cube of neutron star is the equivelent of all the cars in europe or USA put together. A white drawf is similar, a dead star core but larger. Ever wondered why the milkey way and other galaxies have bright clustered centers. Astromoners believe its a super black hole and its redicilous gravity that pulls the stars together. They also believe that time stops inside a black hole. Only the biggest stars can explode into what we call hypernova, that is what creates a black hole. All that out of the back of my head.

Lol irrelevent but interesting !

Every oil will be consumed in the end unless barrel consumption becomes zero till the end of humanity or until CO2 fossilize into oil again wich takes lolzillion of years.
Consumming less but not zero will just slow down the inevitable.
Just find good alternative energy so I can keep running my internet and be prepared for some random bigass environemental shitstorm.

Also poor Polar bear you were cute.

Level 11
Also the reason why you don't see elements heavier than iron in stars is because when you fuse elements heavier than iron together via nuclear fusion, it absorbs more energy than it releases. Same goes for nuclear fission with elements lighter than iron.

Level 7
1000 Barrels per second? So That means we've used god knows how many barrels. Wouldn't that deplete the oil supply completely then? 1000 barrels per second...

Level 9
Yes we do consume an estimate of 1000 barrels a SECOND ! Yes ONLY god and Wikipedia know how much weve used. The oil supply is massive, the USA alone has 22 trillion barrels in reserves and unfortunatly has to now use some of it. The largest oil reserver is Saudi Arabia having 267X10^9 barrels in reserves. They say we have about 40 years left of oil, after that we will start going to be in dog dung. There will still be oil after 40 years but just too expensive for any economy to support.

Portal technology says someone.
Well we havnt got there yet. they can send a particle back through time by a millionth of a second. If my infomation is correct.

Dark energy ? can we harness it ?? They say we can create rips (wormholes) in existance if we can harness the power of Dark matter and Dark energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.