1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Do you have good ideas for new contests? If so, please open new threads in the Contest Submission sub-forum to discuss them.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Complete and Utter Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hakeem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Usage grows. Constantly. You give me no reason to believe the numbers you provide are accurate. What's more, without me becoming an expert in the industry myself, you have no possible way of proving that we will not run out soon. Maybe you're right, and that would be swell. But, what if you're wrong? Millions of people could die, but hey, the risk is worth it. See next comment.
    The problem is not that there are currently too many people. The problems is that the civilization that we currently rely on might crash very soon. Many people might be left without food. Sure, there are people that think this would actually be a good thing, and they may be right. All I know is, I want to be one of those people that has food to eat.

I figured there might be other people who want to ensure they will have food too, so I made a thread. Better safe than sorry, eh?
    That much by 2050. I'm no expert, but the there seems to be a reasonable upper estimate of peak oil being 2020. In an extremely optimistic view, let's say it takes ten years before shortages cause civilization collapses.

17% by 2050, so by 2030...

Yeah, I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like it will come anywhere close with current oil consumption.
    I don't really know the situation, but it seems South America can use sugar cane to be effective in biomass production. Currently, it takes more energy to make corn ethanol than you get out of it.
    That's nice and all, but do you realize how much energy it takes to do that? I'm willing to bet we'd get a corn ethanol type thing. It takes way more energy to make that oil than you get out of the resulting oil.

This is something you have to keep in mind with every type of energy. How much energy do you profit?
    Can we bet our lives that it will come through in time to prevent civilization collapse?

I certainly do not think so.

2. Draknyte1

Draknyte1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    we could burn old people?
    or dog poo?
    or my neighbour...... I advise you do this first..... cause if it fails nobody will miss him....

3. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not a matter of who we should kill. Anyone who does not prepare will most likely end up starved to death in the event that we don't have a grassroots movement to prevent unrecoverable collapse. Are you making your own food and/or electricity right now? If not, GG.

4. Crimshaw

Crimshaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have read in an article that we are able to transfer potential energy into electrical energy. To do this, someone works out on a bike training thing (I don't know what they're actually called) for some time. By using special generators, we can transfer the energy used by that person at a gym into electrical energy for the world to feed on.

5. Draknyte1

Draknyte1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    i do create my own electricity...however much it is......

CARPET+foot or hands=electricity :)
    STATIC ELCTRICITY IS MANS BEST FRIEND :)

and i grow my own food..... mangoes.....

BURN MY NEIGHBOUR IF YOU WANT ENERGY.... or burn poo.... cause that contain alot of methane... and we get energy from that... somehow?

6. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ants are already zombies.

--

Go nuclear power?

7. Draknyte1

Draknyte1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Burn poo!!! Or old people!!!! Or my neighbour!!!

8. reza sword2

reza sword2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Biomass.

9. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    How about instead we just go with the flow? Anarchy will prevail then :D

10. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Too expensive, controversial, and not enough energy. Remember, it takes a lot of technology to make this kind of thing happen.
    Anarchy will prevail anyway. If the government can't prevent this sort of thing, it's just about useless.

11. Draknyte1

Draknyte1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    if hakeem is burn.... how much energy would we recieve?

12. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    In the US at least, nuclear power is expensive because the government makes it that way. It's the only technology that's gotten more expensive over the last 20 years rather than less.

13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nuclear power is actually an excellent source of energy, with the main hindrance being that people are scared of it (Nuclear -> Nuclear Bomb -> Cold War).

It's also a reliable source of energy which we have a ridiculously large supply of.

14. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think Hakeem would be a very good Energy Source

He (She?) is mostly hot air.

15. Draknyte1

Draknyte1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    who would be a reliable source of energy then?

16. TheDivineBoss

TheDivineBoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't you mean what?

17. Draknyte1

Draknyte1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    no..... i mean who..... people are full of energy....

18. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Steam power ftw.

19. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    nukem and dukem ...
    I mean liek ... wtf? We still have liek ... nukuleear plantz!
    Dump the garbadge on mars ... Maybe life will form there afterall.

20. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It takes energy to build, load, and transport rockets to Mars. The last thing we need is to use up our oil on something as energetically wasteful as that.