1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Complete and Utter Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hakeem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A brief overview.

Here is the Wikipedia article on peak oil.

To answer critics: It might happen. That is enough reason to take action. Gamble with your life on your own time.

It is important to realize that if a grassroots movement is successful, that is, if we manage to do it, the negative effects that people may doubt can be stopped. If we do it and we don't see oil decline effects, then that does not mean the skeptics were right, or that we overreacted, but can easily mean that we actually stopped it.

Oil is going to start depleting. This is fact. The question of when is not entirely answered. With the number of experts saying that it is going to start very soon, if it hasn't already started, I'm going to start acting like it is. Remember how experts talk and nobody listens and bad thing happen? Yeah, I'd like to not take my chances this time and not have bad things happen as a result.

If we do not do anything to change, we will not be able to do everything we want with oil, if anything. If we go with an organized collapse, which is unlikely in the event of a collapse at this point, then we would not come to a full stop in activities involving oil. We would instead partition our oil to that which is absolutely necessary. We would cut back on luxuries first. This means no internet. Yeah. You heard me. NO INTERNET. This means, from your perspective, that we are dead. Everyone on the internet dead, and you did nothing about it. Thanks a lot.

The likelihood that a collapse is controlled approaches zero as the population increases. In the event that billions of people are uncontrollable, everything that relies on oil will collapse at once. At this point you might want to wonder exactly how it is that you are fed. I'm willing to bet good money that your food production relies in some way on oil. For example, does your local farmer use a tractor that runs on gas? When he can't run his tractor, how much food can he make? I, for one, like to eat food. It tastes good and delays death.

This problem cannot be solved by any amount of government or money. No regulations or funding will allow our way of life to continue. When oil starts to deplete, government will not be able to produce oil, and neither will money. It will simply disappear. Government and money will completely fail us. It's not a matter of anarchy or agalmics sending "civilization" back hundreds or years. We will simply not be able to do it. Forget government and money. We will not possess the ability to live this way.

What do we do, when our government and money fails us?

But of course. We do what we have always done and will always do. We will take things into our own hands. For the sake of your survival, I strongly suggest that you make damn sure that you, and the people around you, are able to sustain yourselves. Your government and money will not be able to.

In recent years my mother has taken up participation in the local community. I have instructed her to force this movie upon the people of the community, because, "I have to live here, damn it!" Seriously, force people at gunpoint or something. Your life depends on it.

While you're at it, you might want to ensure that your community will have locally generated reliable electricity. You might also ensure that your ISP has electricity. Don't die on me. :(

You might also experiment with preaching/practicing agalmics and/or anarchy. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it!

Above all else, we don't want the Amish gloating.

Disclaimer:
    This is a message to the people of The United States of America. People in other countries might head this caution, but I'm focusing on the USA because I know the laws. If your country restricts you from doing what you need to save your life, I don't know what to tell you besides, "Yeah, you might want to fix that. I suggest grassroots consented anarchy."

2. TheDivineBoss

TheDivineBoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are always alternatives.

Even cannibalism is one of them.

3. GrandEnder

GrandEnder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, we could always just power everything with nuclear fusion and hydrogen fuel cells.

4. LiOneSS

LiOneSS

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Anarchyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

5. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    Only if everyone gets a mohawk.

6. LiOneSS

LiOneSS

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    :D mohawks are teh sex

7. Razorbrain

Razorbrain

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    hydrogen fuel cells ftw

its just a matter of determination and paragonistic scientists and we'll be there before we know it

8. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just don't tell me you didn't expect this.

9. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Shoestrings.

10. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  11. Samuraid

Samuraid

Resources:
    Resources:

12. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks like someone someone didn't watch the movie. First, hydrogen is in not a form of energy. It is a form of energy storage. Second, how much do you know about nuclear power to make a claim like that? You vastly underestimate just how much oil is used. It turns out oil is responsible for just about every single aspect of modern society. Yes, everything. This is what we stand to lose. Everything.
    Oil will be gone before we know it. It wont happen over a few years or decades, it wont be a roll down the hill. It will happen instantaneously. It will be a fall off a cliff.

In the time it will take to get our entire system to use energy that is not derived from fossil fuels, it will be far too late. Unless there is a grassroots change right now, it will be far too late. What's fun is, we wont be able to rebuild at all. We have used up the oil we have, and will not be able to use it as ravenously as we did this time. There will not be an oil boom to allow us to grow. The time it will take to rebuild to this level if there is a collapse, will be longer and longer and longer the more time we waste living like we do now. We can work much faster with oil than we can without. We basically cannot work at all without oil. If we work now to change, we can avoid the centuries it will take to develop back to this level in the event of a collapse.
    I honestly didn't. I figured things would slowly get worse and worse, and this would prompt people to take action to save ourselves, but it wont be like that. It will go from how it is now, to nothing, overnight, and we wont be able to save ourselves.

Imagine I have a nanobot. I can use this nanobot to make a complete copy of itself. This process takes one day. In two days, I can have four nanobots. In three days, eight nanobots. Four days, sixteen nanobots.

A single nanobot, because of its size, is not very much use at all. Let's say I need one billion nanobots to form the objects I need to survive. NanoToaster, NanoBlanket, NanoClothes, Nanoetc..

From this one nanobot, it will take me thirty days to create enough nanobots to have my very own NanoLuxuryTM. It will take another 33 days to use that army of nanobots to create enough nanobots for six billion people to have their own NanoLuxuries. Wait. I've underestimated exponential growth. Let's say I need my NanoLuxury to survive, and can only offer you one nanobot at this time. You will have to wait 30 days until you can survive. This is thirty days for six billion people. That's about 180 billions days before everyone on Earth can survive.

Once everyone on Earth has their own NanoLuxury, creating new ones for babies will take thirty days. This is where we are at right now. Civilization is able to make what it needs for the new babies because it has the systems already in place to make that stuff. When oil begins to deplete, civilization will not slow down, it will come to a full stop. This means waiting 180 billion days for civilization to rebuild.

Our NanoLuxuries will all crash some day. The new NanoLuxiry2.0 units will not crash. If we start making them now, we can have a NanoLuxury2.0 for everyone on Earth in 63 days. (30 days to make one, 33 days to make 6 billion more.) When the crash occurs, we will need to start using the available NanoLuxury2.0 units, and the time to have them replicate will be over. If we don't make 6 billion by the crash, the people on the waiting list will die long before they ever see a NanoLuxury2.0 unit.

Exponential growth aside, this analogy is valid. If we act now, we will give ourselves more resources to build a world that wont crash and burn when oil depletes. If we act when the crash occurs, there will be no oil to build that world. That world will be gone. Lost to the world of pipe dreams.
    Turns out your shoestrings are coated in oil, and will all disappear the at the moment of oil depletion.

I am not at the point of supporting agalmic anarchy right now. Right now, I am questioning the ability of your government and/or money to stop a crisis. Isn't that what they are for? Doesn't look to me like they are doing too well. Looks to me like the systems you advocate are about to completely and utterly fail. Forget whether or not anarchy or agalmics work, it looks to me like government and money aren't even an option.

Or am I wrong? Maybe the US government wont save its people, but is there any government in the world that will be able to save its people?
    With no oil to fuel the harvesting machinery? No power to run the mill? No trucks to deliver the ingredients? No power to preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit? Fat chance.

And don't even get me started on cake.
    Keep him away from the oil! He'll torch the remaining fuel right into thin air!

Blasted dragons... Come back for your revenge have ye?!

13. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But the flames will look pretty! D:

14. Razorbrain

Razorbrain

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oil is not a form of energy either. Its a form of energy storage, except we cant store it, only use what has been stored a long time ago.

I think you vastly underestimate the power of the nuclear fusion, equally as much as grandender might underestimate the amount of oil we actually use.

15. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I think if the organic battery thing comes through, it's the best shot we have. Instead of using a natural resource, we're powering everything with a lifeform. Bacteria and carbon nanotubes. The implications are extreme mind you, and it's a long way off, but it's the only thing that seems sustainable.

Either way, really, as long as we break of our oil dependence. That's the key issue here.

16. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Going green ftw.

17. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with that but... we have no nanobots. Sadly.

Maybe we humans (we just don't know it yet) are made out of oil, and will dissapear too the day it runs out.

We will do anyways.

WAR BLOOD GORE FEAR DEATH LEADERS TRAITION OPRESSION REVOLUTION DESTRUCTION GRIEF LOSS IGNORANCE NONSENSE CHAOS... the end (It's the end of the world!). Humanity is not prepared for a life without things that we take for granted today. There will be no "after". As said before, we have no nanobots, and no oil version 2.0. It will a downfall, a return (hopefully) to the middle ages. We may even end up scratching our asses and living on trees.

18. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    Humans, rats and cockroaches have something in common: they all will survive no matter what. What sets us humans apart thought is that we will constantly keep on developing. We will NEVER backtrack!

19. Velmarshal

Velmarshal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cover roofs of our houses with solar panels.
    Build more dams, solar fields, wind towers.

20. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    The funny thing is that we need oil for that...