• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Complete and Utter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
If nobody could do it, it would never be done. That it is done is proof that it can be done.

...the average yahoo can't build a powerplant, airport, or anything that requires vast amounts of up front capital. That requires "some one doing it first" ages ago.

You can't buy the shoestrings of a powerplant...with willpower.

Level 24
Most of the cost of creating a nuclear power plant is that safety systems are required to have as many as 20 tiers per system. That's just ridiculous.

Level 12
We make nuclear reactors then send the waste into the Sun with more nuclear reactors

IT WILL WORK! As long as we make the rockets reuseable IE drop off from waste while waste goes for Sun and re-enter the atmosphere
not a good idea

sending something into the sun could(would) cause unknown reactions within the sun, or outside, considering uranium is quite hard to melt. By doing so, we might just quicken our death even more.

It is already too late to do anything like that. The problem has been ignored for long enough that even if we used 100% of the remaining oil to invest in the perfect alternative, it would not be enough.
The only oil you'd need to make this system is for rubber insulation. And even that can be made without oil (rubber plants).

Can plastic bottles be converted into oil? I forgot.

That's why I'm advocating local action. We wont be able to rely on resources from thousands of miles away. The only place our food and electricity is going to come from is our immediate surroundings.
I don't know about you, but I'd certainly like to eat different things than just what my county can produce.

Also, since when did government come before people?

I didn't say it did. When dealing with international stuff like this, however, governments usually get involved.

Level 35
They can and do. If it has large down payments, often a loan will be taken or an investor can fund you.

Not everyone can get that however. I challenge you dear friend to go to the first bank you see and get a loan to build a powerplant. If you can do it, and provide the proof of it, I'll retract my statement.

Level 27
The only oil you'd need to make this system is for rubber insulation.
I totally forgot that producing, delivering, and assembling the materials takes no energy or oil. I guess as long as things just float into place we don't have to worry about using oil to do it.
Can plastic bottles be converted into oil?
What kind of plastic? What kind of oil?
Are you going to run your car on plastic bottles? No.
I don't know about you, but I'd certainly like to eat different things than just what my county can produce.
I'd like to be able to eat at all. That's why I'm advocating local action. So there will be something to eat, as opposed to nothing to eat. But hey, if we can stop civilization from running out of fuel, maybe we can maintain a variety of foods.
I didn't say it did.
Rhetorical question.
Not everyone can get that however. I challenge you dear friend to go to the first bank you see and get a loan to build a powerplant. If you can do it, and provide the proof of it, I'll retract my statement.
Everyone can. In America anyway. I wont do this for a few reasons:
  • It would be better to get the money via other means, including, but not limited to, investors.
  • People are already doing that.
  • I do not have any want or need to go into that business.
  • I'm busy trying to ensure my community will be fed in one year's time.
  • I do not know what type of power would make the best use of our very limited fossil fuel supply.
I can assure you, however, that this has been done numerous times. One need only Google "young entrepreneur".

I totally forgot that producing, delivering, and assembling the materials takes no energy or oil. I guess as long as things just float into place we don't have to worry about using oil to do it.
Alright alright, I forgot about those. :p
Although you could always use biofuels for the delivery, if we get there...

I'd like to be able to eat at all. That's why I'm advocating local action. So there will be something to eat, as opposed to nothing to eat. But hey, if we can stop civilization from running out of fuel, maybe we can maintain a variety of foods.
This is true, but I don't think the public would see it that way, unfortunately. Then again, they baww at anything big that happens so fuck them.

Rhetorical question.
Peh.

Level 27
Although you could always use biofuels for the delivery, if we get there...
I have strong reason to believe that production of biofuel is not oil independent.
This is true, but I don't think the public would see it that way, unfortunately.
Then they could easily starve to death. It's not a matter of whether oil will start depleting soon or not. It might. That is enough reason to act.

Level 15
No, I only act stupid in order to make others feel better.

That only makes you look stupid, i'm not sure how acting stupid makes others feel better.

You raise quite a few valid points Hakeem, and, coincidentally, the community i live in has also begun to raise awareness on similar issues. We live in what could be considered a "rural" environment, we're surrounded by farmland (my family actually produces all of our own Corn, Peas, Potatoes, Carrots, Apples, Pears, Cherries and all kinds of things), and we've begun to push for keeping that farmland from being developed, so that we'll be able to support the community.

Level 27
We live in what could be considered a "rural" environment, we're surrounded by farmland (my family actually produces all of our own Corn, Peas, Potatoes, Carrots, Apples, Pears, Cherries and all kinds of things), and we've begun to push for keeping that farmland from being developed, so that we'll be able to support the community.
That's good to hear. But you gotta account for a fuel shortage. Do you use a tractor for the crops that need tending? Is your fertilizer oil based? Where's your power coming from? Around here we get a lot of it from hydroelectric, so we should be able to find a way to keep at least electricity running without oil for a bit.
You are all being sarcastic/joking, right?
To an extent, but I am being completely honest when I say that I might not have food in one year's time. My food comes from a store, who gets it from so many places I wouldn't know where to move to. I wont be able to drive to the store to get it, and they wont even have food because nobody can drive there to give it to them. A shortage doesn't mean we all have to be sparing with our oil, a shortage means we don't have oil to use sparingly. The time to use it sparingly is now. Or, more accurately, the time to use it sparingly was years ago.

I could be wrong -- and I really hope I am -- but if I'm right, the implications are dire.

Level 5
Well then you'll be glad to know that we haven't even used half of our oil yet, after like 90 years...

With the current usage now -- we have like 40 or 50 more years of it

Level 15
Is that out of your head or did you look it up?

Usage will only increase with population. 9 billion by 2050 >.<

WE NEED TO KILL PEOPLE!

Stop giving AID to Africa, let them deal with their own problems. We need more wars. Genocide all people with severe mental defects, physical doesn't matter=Stephan Hawking. Legalize all drugs, drug use will soar and kill many people, but as the years go by, people will stop using them excessively and will moderate.

Probably will cut the population down, while getting rid of alot of idiots.

I have a condition in which I can barely use my right side brain. As a result when my right side brain kicks in, I act like an idiot due to it not being developed, this tends to happen more when talking to people. The rest of the time I am completely thinking logically.

Right now this is the only logical thing we can do with our current level of technology.

Put aside your morel's and compassion for life, you know I am correct.

Level 19
Alright, the post above was possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read in my entire life. BlargHonk you should be ashamed of yourself for being so goddamned idiotic, even if you say you're doing it to make "others feel better". Genocide is disgusting, and so is your theory. Your debate-style is better suited for a thread like this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f478/llamas-hats-123217/

Level 12
cant we 'make' oil?
make a giant super compactor,
and toss a sorry animal in there [fine a plant :p]

then compact it,
its gota be very strong and very hot,
we make diamonds in sort of the same way i think....

[im probably just rambling, if this is the case you can ignore me]

btw they got some progress done in nuclear fusion
[fission is what is being done now, fusion is what happens in the sun]
so that 'might' be a solution to our energy problem, but it will most likely take more itme than we have.

also with that much power, we will all be dead if it gets into the wrong hands, which it most likely will.

Level 27
Well then you'll be glad to know that we haven't even used half of our oil yet, after like 90 years...

With the current usage now -- we have like 40 or 50 more years of it
Usage grows. Constantly. You give me no reason to believe the numbers you provide are accurate. What's more, without me becoming an expert in the industry myself, you have no possible way of proving that we will not run out soon. Maybe you're right, and that would be swell. But, what if you're wrong? Millions of people could die, but hey, the risk is worth it. See next comment.
Mother Nature will take care of it. Can someone say...overcrowding, plagues, famine, etc?
The problem is not that there are currently too many people. The problems is that the civilization that we currently rely on might crash very soon. Many people might be left without food. Sure, there are people that think this would actually be a good thing, and they may be right. All I know is, I want to be one of those people that has food to eat.

I figured there might be other people who want to ensure they will have food too, so I made a thread. Better safe than sorry, eh?
That article said:
Desertec says this technology alone could supply 17 per cent of Europe's power by 2050, imported via 20 to 40 long-distance HVDC lines.
That much by 2050. I'm no expert, but the there seems to be a reasonable upper estimate of peak oil being 2020. In an extremely optimistic view, let's say it takes ten years before shortages cause civilization collapses.

17% by 2050, so by 2030...

Yeah, I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like it will come anywhere close with current oil consumption.
What about biomass and biogas?
I don't really know the situation, but it seems South America can use sugar cane to be effective in biomass production. Currently, it takes more energy to make corn ethanol than you get out of it.
cant we 'make' oil?
make a giant super compactor,
and toss a sorry animal in there [fine a plant :p]

then compact it,
its gota be very strong and very hot,
we make diamonds in sort of the same way i think....
That's nice and all, but do you realize how much energy it takes to do that? I'm willing to bet we'd get a corn ethanol type thing. It takes way more energy to make that oil than you get out of the resulting oil.

This is something you have to keep in mind with every type of energy. How much energy do you profit?
so that 'might' be a solution to our energy problem, but it will most likely take more itme than we have.
Can we bet our lives that it will come through in time to prevent civilization collapse?

I certainly do not think so.

Level 27
It's not a matter of who we should kill. Anyone who does not prepare will most likely end up starved to death in the event that we don't have a grassroots movement to prevent unrecoverable collapse. Are you making your own food and/or electricity right now? If not, GG.

Level 2
I have read in an article that we are able to transfer potential energy into electrical energy. To do this, someone works out on a bike training thing (I don't know what they're actually called) for some time. By using special generators, we can transfer the energy used by that person at a gym into electrical energy for the world to feed on.

Level 27
Go nuclear power?
Too expensive, controversial, and not enough energy. Remember, it takes a lot of technology to make this kind of thing happen.
Dreadnought[dA];1088491 said:
How about instead we just go with the flow? Anarchy will prevail then :D
Anarchy will prevail anyway. If the government can't prevent this sort of thing, it's just about useless.

Level 24
In the US at least, nuclear power is expensive because the government makes it that way. It's the only technology that's gotten more expensive over the last 20 years rather than less.

Status
Not open for further replies.