1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Complete and Utter Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hakeem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Velmarshal

Velmarshal

Resources:
    Resources:
    We can use the current suply to jumpstart its production.

2. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And the funny thing about that is that none of those are sustainable. You can't power a country with solar panels.

3. Velmarshal

Velmarshal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh well buy a pentium 2 and you've done your part.

4. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, processors have become more energy efficient through out time. By far the most wasteful is the Pentium 4, but since then the Core 2 Duo/Quad's and the i7 are both incredibly energy efficient.

5. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually in a recent article in New Scientist they showed that you could power the whole of Europe and north Africa through a giant renewable energy grid. Basically you'd have the solar panels in the sunny places, the wind turbines in the windy places, and the hydro plants in the rivery places. And so on.

The only problem is getting the governments of all the countries to switch to it, which won't be happening any time soon. :p

6. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hydroelectric is not very eco friendly.

It disrupts the natural flow of things...quite literally.

The rest is good. Though I believe wind would be the best idea for 'mass power' and these ocean sort of things...'tide mills' I forget the real term. Solar panels are more efficient for individual buildings usage. (for now anyway)

7. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let's make a pile. Less people = less need for oil xP

8. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Vote yes for the massacre.

9. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's a very good point.
    Possibly. The problem is, some of the materials needed to create nuclear power plants are found, like fossil fuels. If we are to do this anyway, the only methods we currently have of building and maintaining nuclear power plants requires fossil fuels. We aren't exactly pouring all our oil into doing that now are we?
    Life, like oil and hydrogen, is not a source of energy. It is merely a form of energy storage.
    Everything relies on oil. Including the people working on oil independent technology. Without oil, we wont be able to carry on oil independence research, let alone producing oil independent products.
    Too little, too late. In my community, the first thing I am doing is to ensure that the people of my community will have sustenance. After that is taken care of, we might tackle energy problems.
    Without oil to fuel it? Fat chance. It's going to come down to food. Who has it and who does not. If we all made our own garden, there would be enough food for all of us. If we do not, the people caught unprepared will either die, or try to take your food. I'm working to make sure my community is one of the ones with food. I figured I'd make this thread as a heads up to other people, so they can prepare while they can still do it easily (with oil).
    In terms or stockpiles? No. In terms of ability to make stockpiles? Yes. When oil begins to deplete, the stockpiles we had before will disappear, and unless we start making new ones now, there are people that will go unfed. Oil is going to deplete, soon, and as a result, food will disappear, unless we do something right now. This wont kill everyone, but it will likely kill millions. The question you need to ask is, "Will I be one of those people that die?"
    Yes. We can. Unless there is a grassroots movement to do exactly that, right now, we will burn up the oil we need to do that, and become unable to do that.
    We don't need the governments to do it. Anyone can step up and make a renewable energy power plant. We better start doing it now, or we wont be able to do it at all.
    There's no need for that. Less oil => less people anyway. Unless there is a grassroots movement to make lack of oil not kill us.

I dunno about you, but I plan to live to at least 30. In order to do this, I need food. Since my current source of food could disappear any day now, I'm going to get my community making the food it needs to feed its members, and then some.

10. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oil won't run out for a couple more decades, and some fusion research looks promising

I especially like the company thats using giant magnetically driven pistons to compress the Fusion matter, Lasers are for pussys USE GIANT PISTONS!

11. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Where the hell did oil come from in the first place?

12. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    From Wiki
    Basically, dead things from the Cambrian squished and heated make oil.

Yes we're burning corpses

13. Technomancer

Technomancer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I vote we just dig deep holes into the earth and crank out the geothermal power plants.

14. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't mean how did we rip it out of the Earth, I mean how did it get there in the first place. Maybe we can wait thousands of years for little particles to somehow magically form into oil and we can use that. :]

15. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    yes and cause the Earth to lose heat faster and therefore destroy every single renewing process that keeps life viable on Earth

And no more magnetic shield

WE SHALL ALL BE COOKED!

16. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are factories that make amounts of oil with like turkey bits and stuff; dinner leftovers, basically. Also, Nuclear energy is one of the greenest and efficient forms of energy out there. My friend's father is a nuclear engineer.

Anyways, solutions for surviving the impending crisis:
    1. Convince an attractive member of the opposite sex that it would be worth your mutual time to touch each other
    2. Kill yourself
    3. ????
    4. PROFI... wait. Survival...

17. Gausslander

Gausslander

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nuclear Energy leaves waste that cannot be safely destroyed and has to take up a large amount of space if produced at a large enough quantity. How is that clean at all? If your friend's father was a cigarette spokesmen you'd probably be saying weed was worse than tobbacco.

18. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Much more notable and qualified individuals say otherwise. I'm going to have to pick them over you. Consider the implications of you being wrong. It is entirely reasonable for me to think we have already passed peak oil.
    It seems to me that nuclear power is a bit expensive.
    ...And controversial.

The question is, if we were to put all our remaining oil into building power plants, then by the time we have spent all the oil, how much power will we be getting from the newly built power plants? A question I am nowhere near qualified to answer. Or to verify answers thereto. I think the question of whether or not you will have food to eat in one year's time is far more important.

19. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    You get rid of it by burying it in a mountain or launching it into space for lulz. And yes, I know that current nuclear power plants stick it in barrels on-site. Also, France of all nations has (had, possibly) nuclear power plants. All your arguments against nuclear power are invalid.

20. Razorbrain

Razorbrain

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    just a tiny tiny question

what is it with the whole "France of all nations"? :p