• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will you mod Starcraft II?

Are you going to mod Starcraft 2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Batch 22 of Q&A's said:
Chat with Devs: One of the most popular questions we get when it comes to creating UMS (User Map Settings) games or mods is: Will there be a DotA for StarCraft II? For those who are not familiar, DotA (Defense of the Ancients), is a popular UMS game created for Warcraft III. StarCraft compared to Warcraft III, does not focus on heroes as much, and heroes or units do not have the same experience gaining mechanic as Warcraft III, making it difficult to imagine how a game like DotA could be reproduced for StarCraft. Nonetheless, after chatting it up with our devs, we found out the ability to allow heroes and units to gain experience is built into the Map Editor, though it will not likely be in single player or standard multiplayer. In addition, those units can also be toggled to have the ability to carry an inventory, which is also a characteristic needed in UMS maps such as DotA. With those two additions, we can rest assured that our clever community modders can handle the rest in creating some awesome custom games.
Dota in sc2 for sure!

Level 9
yes i know they are different. But M-O-D is an abbreviation for modify, not model. If you read the poll options you would realize that it has to do with a generalization of creation - creating maps. That includes but is not limited to models, spells, triggers, etc. So creating your own map with the given resources of the SC2WE is still modding.

I'm in the process of creating a map and haven't played WC3 in months. I find it to be more stimulating than actually playing.

Now you know

Level 2
I don't think that SC2 will be as flexible as wc3...
and you can't count that a "spell" will kill your hero, and a "magic wall" will stop the zergs anymore.

Level 8
If you look on the site forums, they said that they want it to be MORE powerful then the WC3:WE. Blizzard themselves said it. Most likely, they will refine the WE to the point of making an "ok" map in 10-20 minutes (they also said that), and "imagine what a pro would do?". Even though making models for it will be hard, I have no doupt in the abilitys of model'ers.

I just hope that all of the models made for wc3 will be able to work with sc2. (WoW uses .m2) Or at least I hope blizz provides a file converter. It would be terrible to lose all of these models we have. Same goes for .blp. They stopped using it in WoW (they used .tga).

That and I also hope they would integrate the object editor with the trigger editor more. For example you could change a unit's model or stats in-game via triggers. It'd help a lot.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
wc3 models in sc2? You're kidding, right? I can't even imagine how shit they'd look. First of all they are insanely low poly and they only have one texture map (diffuse). That's not going to work for sc2. Sc2 will have at least normal, specular and glow/emission maps. Which by the way, this means that all of you that want to model for sc2 better start practicing your high poly modeling and sculpting, if you don't handle them well already. You'll need that for making normal maps.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll only mod it because I utterly suck at RTS games.

The one problem with SCII modding that it is too personalized to the game (unlike WC3, which you have a large choice of good models that fit in other fantasy, like the orcs or some creeps go perfect with LOTR, etc). The Zerg are completely unique and look like no other Sci-fi race. The Terran have some stuff, but SC has gone away from most Sci-fi, making it hard to use ingames to mod it with, requiring more modelers and imports to make it like any other game. That is really my only problem.

Level 2
I'll definitely mod StarCraft2.
But first I want to play the game.
Then I'm going to have fun modding it!
Go powerful Editors!

Level 2
I am 100% sure in SC2 is gonna be a HUGE succes. I will play melee maps, custom maps, mod the maps, create my own maps and so on. But i quess i will stick alittle to WC3 for a while. (Just started to learn about triggers, doh!:witch_doc_sad:) Until WC4 comes :thumbs_up::xxd:

Level 7
i want to play it >.< i want to mod it >.<
I want a "test mode" in a small window mode like in Crysis' Sandbox2 Editor, where you can press (?) Ctrl + G (?) and you directly can test what you have done. I dont want to wait till my (maybe huge) map is loaded...

Level 40
Zergling Frenzy? That will be like the Footman Frenzy replacement :O
Actually, Footman Frenzy comes from Hydra Ranchers on StarCraft :p

There was also Zergling Blood Extreme, but that was less awesome.

I'm considering first making a Sheep Tag like map only with Marines and Ultralisks.
Sheep tag comes from Cat and Mouse, which was Ultralisks and Probes, but you could actually kill the cats if you played right :p

Level 12
O The Glory Of MulitDimentional Arrays with the GUI. Instead of havening to manipulate a normal one. Grid[X,Y], instead of Grid [x] and haveing to toy with it so it feels more like the first one. sure didnt help me much in makeing tetris...or my battle train game...or my roller coaster game... And i am still avoiding jass!

Besides when starcraft 2 hits, All of a sudden i might win some of the warcraft 3 automated tournaments!

According to what i read from the blizzard Q And A sheet, the GUI will be able to do everything jass can do.

Anyway if the Input is a bit faster i will mod in it. other wise i may make a mini game or two, but mostly just play the normal game and fun custom games to come.

edit: O Thnx RedMarine...make my it sound lame by calling it 2d. instead Super rad MulitDimentional...anyway i am sure your right. Thnx, But at the same time...Mine sounds better

Last edited:
Level 19
O The Glory Of MulitDimentional Arrays with the GUI. Instead of havening to manipulate a normal one. Grid[X,Y], instead of Grid [x] and haveing to toy with it so it feels more like the first one. sure didnt help me much in makeing tetris...or my battle train game...or my roller coaster game... And i am still avoiding jass!

Besides when starcraft 2 hits, All of a sudden i might win some of the warcraft 3 automated tournaments!

According to what i read from the blizzard Q And A sheet, the GUI will be able to do everything jass can do.

Anyway if the Input is a bit faster i will mod in it. other wise i may make a mini game or two, but mostly just play the normal game and fun custom games to come.

I don't think it might be able to do everything the C like script is capable off but perhaps do most of it.

And btw it is called 2D arrays :D

Status
Not open for further replies.