• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will you mod Starcraft II?

Are you going to mod Starcraft 2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Yes, these are late replies, but I felt some of this stuff should be said -

According to what i read from the blizzard Q And A sheet, the GUI will be able to do everything jass can do.
That's 100% impossible for the simple reason that

• Much of the stuff the script can do would not be provided in a simplification because it isn't simple
  • A GUI cannot by definition be as powerful as a script behind it

I've never heard about 3D arrays before, It must be rare.
You can make arrays as big as you want (to my experience anyways) in languages that allow multidimensional arrays.

For example, in Java;

int[][][][] iarr = new int[5][6][4][7];

I actually have heard bout it, but as far as I remember, they weren't quite useful since 10x10x10 variable would fill the stack.
?

Level 27
Much of the stuff the script can do would not be provided in a simplification because it isn't simple
If the GUI is truly able to do all the script can do, then is it still a simplification? To me a GUI is more a list than anything else.
A GUI cannot by definition be as powerful as a script behind it
GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. I see no part in the definition that prevents it from being as powerful as its script. Also, I must ask for a sample of code a GUI cannot generate.

Level 19
If the GUI is truly able to do all the script can do, then is it still a simplification? To me a GUI is more a list than anything else.

GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. I see no part in the definition that prevents it from being as powerful as its script. Also, I must ask for a sample of code a GUI cannot generate.

I have to agree you on that one. There is no script a GUI can't generate but Jass can write it more efficient(depending on the code).

Level 19
I for example prefer GUI over JASS, and as long as there's something that really can't be done without JASS, I see no strong reason not to use it. The only thing I need JASS for is RemoveLocation and stuff like that. Speaking of that, I hope blizz will fix lag/memory leak problems within the map compiler

As far as I know it isn't a problem with the compiler. The Editor got no idea if the leak is meant to be there or not.

Level 21
What you "could" add to a compiler is some subroutine that checks if for each location variable there's a RemoveLocation call somewhere. That still wouldn't fix all leaks, far from. Besides, it's not really the editor's task. If you don't want leaks, you'll simply have to use your brain.

jass also has a few things you can't "make" in pure GUI: attachment systems such as LocalHandleVars by KaTTaNa. Local variables are also not supported. But everything else can be done in GUI.

Level 16
Maybe, but they could figure out how to at least reduce memory usage by, say, replacing multiplying and dividing with 2^X with shifting bits, since that's way easier for computer to process, and things like that. That would be cool, to make editor better in every way, not just adding new commands to GUI or stuff like that.

Level 40
Why not just not lag it up adding a garbage collector which isn't needed, and screws over people who code properly anyways? -.-

How would you, for example, have the GUI easily support complete custom function handling, and, for example, OOP?

Basically, my point is that by the time you get the GUI to do all that the script can do, it's just the script with more clicking and less typing, making it slower and not simpler, thus defeating the purpose.

What I was getting at is that GUIs were not simpler, they would be useless.

Level 27
How would you, for example, have the GUI easily support complete custom function handling,
The functions would themselves be in GUI.
and, for example, OOP?
What are you referring to that would be hard?
Basically, my point is that by the time you get the GUI to do all that the script can do, it's just the script with more clicking and less typing, making it slower and not simpler, thus defeating the purpose.
What I was getting at is that GUIs were not simpler, they would be useless.
A complete list, with documentation.

Also, you could make the GUI filled with shortcut keys, making it easier to navigate, such as you would be able to do with a plain text editor.

Level 40
Hakeem, for the custom function and OOP examples I meant the entire structure as being completely dynamic, etc, being a little over the top for the GUI "style".

As for the complete list with documentation, Jass has pretty good community documentation, and a readily available complete function list with tools like JassCraft, thus I doubt StarCraft II's language will be much difference.

It just strikes me as being "code with pretty pictures" which makes it harder to read, if it ends up going as complex as possible.

You'd have to have memorized all the coding rules in such a case to be able to effectively use the GUI anyways, so again, as I said, I don't see how it could possibly be useful as such.

Level 27
Hakeem, for the custom function and OOP examples I meant the entire structure as being completely dynamic, etc, being a little over the top for the GUI "style".
Graphical User Interface. By definition, it seems it would be about 1000 times more useful than plain text. Ever heard "A picture is worth a thousand words."?
Nothing is out of range for a GUI, since text is a graphic as well.
It just strikes me as being "code with pretty pictures" which makes it harder to read, if it ends up going as complex as possible.
Who says there must be pictures?
You'd have to have memorized all the coding rules in such a case to be able to effectively use the GUI
Please elaborate on this point.
I don't see how it could possibly be useful as such.
Ever used DOS?
Well a lot of people don't want to learn all the DOS commands, or don't want to type so much, which is where GUI comes in.

Level 40
Hakeem, I'm basically saying that your ideas would turn the GUI into a clickable version of the script, which would make it not simpler so much as just a preference change (though inevitably far slower to use), while the real point of the GUI (as far as I've ever seen) for Warcraft III (and it is most likely likely to continue as such) is to be a simplified form of the script, which this would not be.

Modeling is easy, as long as you can scratch-model you'll do the job. It is just it requires more detail. Texturing, however, is completely different, cause you have to apply different techniques, go for realism, an so on. Not only that, you also need to make other sorts of maps, such as specular, normal, opacity map, and it all requires both texturing and modeling knowledge.

Level 9
At the first few months of knowing it existed, I thought that ORPG's wouldn't be so good, FPS wouldn't - it'd be PIXELATED bull-shit. However, these new videos show that the action is close up like W3. *Phew*.

Level 12
No... wc3 is already dying. About majorly any new map you make now will not be played, because there are only a few out there playing wc3 on bnet, and those few play DotA or maps that they've known long time ago.

Its going to decrease slowly, and slowly, until soon the only reason why ppl play wc3 is because of dota.

That is why I'm definitely moving to sc2, alot of opportunities and I hope Hiveworkshop is already planning to make a sc2 community and portal.

Level 11
There will be probbly DotA for SC2 coz clizzard posters said that they will implant 10-12 players, for people to be able to make maps like tower defenses, DotA, etc.

You could import all things inside, coz probbly size will be larger than 4mb, I hope.
And there will be lots of new things like mixing tilesets for example, what we didn't get chance to see here.

I will mod it for sure. And then probbly some part of wc3 will die. Not whole probbly, but part. Coz i think this game is alive mostly because of editor. So they see that a smart choice for them to support that kind of stuff.

Level 12
Nah, DotA won't work in Sc2 because there is no hero with leveling system. Unless you wan't to make a classic AoS map but that will be too boring :p.

I'm thinking in Sc2 there will be new maps with advance gameplays and techniques due to a better world editor. In fact I believe there will be plenty of FpS maps in sc2.

Level 19
Nah, DotA won't work in Sc2 because there is no hero with leveling system. Unless you wan't to make a classic AoS map but that will be too boring :p.

I'm thinking in Sc2 there will be new maps with advance gameplays and techniques due to a better world editor. In fact I believe there will be plenty of FpS maps in sc2.

You sir should read some SC2 Q&A from Blizzard or just look at what this guy has to say.

I readed Blizzard FAQ about SC2 World Edit, and they said that Hero system will be more advanced and will have even more customisation than WC3 Heros. Looks like Blizzard understood that people love playing moded maps...

Status
Not open for further replies.