• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will you mod Starcraft II?

Are you going to mod Starcraft 2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
If you dont wan't monopoly, make a better map.

Yeah right, the mechanics of dota ain't that great as you thought. Its been there fo 6 years, and 6 years is why ppl still kept playing it because they're consistent at updating it.

They're the first to come up with the idea of an DotA version with many heroes, and people liked it. However, it does not mean its a better map than others!

Level 12
-.-

Guy A: OMG DUTA IS DA BEST MAP EVARH!
Guy B: TERE AINT NU BETER MAP THAN NARATO SHIPPUUUDEN v84905.1

Get it nao?

You don't make sense either.

If you say a map is the best map ever you gotta justify with reasons not just because "you think".

The reason that its the most played map eva does not justify dota is the best map. You could say the best wine quality doesn't sell the best if it focuses too much on quality as to marketing.

Level 2
I'm going to mod Starcraft as much as possible, but it always makes me think, what will happen to the Hive? When Starcraft 2 comes out, I think most people will move on to it and wont come back to Hive. So I was just wondering if you guys are going to add a Starcraft 2 part to the site or stay in the Warcraft universe until a possible Warcraft IV comes out.

Level 11
Wc4 might come in 2011 or 2012... thats a long time... anyway SC2 will be better for making maps, worse for modding i think. DotA will be better in SC2, probbly better than those games that are comming out based on DotA, haha. So blizz will own them again.

Why isnt there anyone interested to mod wc3 ? Oo, i saw only one MINImod, Dawn of Chaos for wc3, and there you got tons of mods for Diablo II ...

Level 3
After seeing the editor right now YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!

I'm sure there will be a group of people who will extract the wc3 models and convert them to the starcraft 2 format so even if I wanted a game with warcraft 3 models I would still make it in starcraft. All the new features look insane.

Level 10
I will play and mod it!

If the editor is as good as they have promised, I'll stick to it for very long.
I'm particularly excited about the terrain possibilities, like lighting editor, new water rules, and also seeing the cliffs in the battle reports tell me they might have improved their cliffs A LOT. Although I heard them say something about "2 cliff types in a map" in a video :\

I just hope they've kept a close eye on the War3 modding community, so they don't remove any options that we've honed our skills with and enjoyed for so long.

Level 4
you guys have no idea how much better the sc2 editor will be.... i have seen a private preview, and the features are amazing.

you can literally create games like counter strike or half life. not like the shitty wc3 maps, but the real thing.

N.O

N.O

Level 6
you guys have no idea how much better the sc2 editor will be.... i have seen a private preview, and the features are amazing.

you can literally create games like counter strike or half life. not like the shitty wc3 maps, but the real thing.

psst wc3 maps r only shitty b/c ppl either r too lazy to make something epic or just too stupid...

wc3 maps can be so great or so low, it depends on your knowledge and btw the SC2 editor won't be that much better...:mwahaha:

Level 1
i personaly think sence wc3 came out starcraft 1 just go stronger with new ideas and remaking of the editor of starcraft so im thinking when starcraft 2 comes out it will pull people from sc1 and wc3 but they will stay around and keep everything happy and jolly ^^ but then agian it wont even be on the same battle net and you have to buy the editor not with the main game :( stupid marking...

Level 1
hmm 2 parts would be nice because then they can have make maping thingys in like a vs were its sc2 vs wc3 on the most higher teck map like how dota was when it first came out

Level 8
I think you are just as much underestimating Warcraft 3's engine. The main limit is speed (and UI of course).

You joking? You can make custom UI in wc3. Don't believe me? Here's a little system that for some reason isn't gaining popularity even though its so amazing. You can make buttons, text and pictures. And they do follow your screen.

Here's the system:http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=102351

And here's a bag system made with it:http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=104931

Level 19
You joking? You can make custom UI in wc3. Don't believe me? Here's a little system that for some reason isn't gaining popularity even though its so amazing. You can make buttons, text and pictures. And they do follow your screen.

Here's the system:http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=102351

And here's a bag system made with it:http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=104931

We are already aware of it but it is so complex for the average joe that it is simply not worth it.

What Blizzard wants to do is to make UIs that follows your screen without using pictures and units and complex math like that system does.

Level 8
There isn't much complex math in it except the code that makes the system work. The values you set aren't complex at all. And the custom UI system we will get won't be any easier. The fact that DGUI uses units and a lot of math isn't a problem cause you won't have to learn how the system works.

Level 8
I believe it is. It doesn't use return bug and I haven't had problems on single player so I guess it is.

Level 12
wc3 maps can be so great or so low, it depends on your knowledge and btw the SC2 editor won't be that much better...

Sheesh,

The Sc2 editor has the capability to make advanced custom spells just by using the object editor... In wc3 you have to workaround with JASS to create those...

Not to mention the fact that you can customize the UI of a game fully to the extent that you can somewhat create your own "game" in "sc2" by changing the structure of window panes, bars, and so on... In wc3 you can only customize the UI by overidding skin files.

This is a video, a little bit outdated but I just thought it would be great to bring it up.

The uberlisk, those custom spells all done by the object editor.
The Sc2 GHOST, done using GUI trigger, custom UI using galaxy editor.

Blizzard is expecting crazy mapmakers to come out with crazy mods. These previews are done in a short period of time, imagine if a group of mapmakers come together and decide to create something of which I can't even imagine right now but will rock:cool:...

Level 5
I won't mod the game, because I will be so awed by Blizzard's models that I won't be able to muster the strenght to even attempt a model or skin. But I will play it, I will make maps and I will make 300 posts complaining about the noobs selling thier maps for $25 each.

Last edited:
Level 7
I won't mod the game, because I will be so awed by Blizzard's models that I won't be able to muster the strenght to even attempt a model or skin. But I will play it, I will make maps and I will make 300 posts complaining about the noobs selling thier maps for $25 each.

LOL

i don't think anyone whould be that stupid ... .... 0.99$ each is a lot ... or depends on how much work was put in a map :)

Level 3
Im definetly going to buy and mod the game. Ive been playing starcraft for 9 years and I just know that SCII will be epic.

- Yea the WC3 community will probably stay strong for another 5-6 years I think. Look at starcraft, it came out in 1997 and there is still about 20,000 people logged on bnet-starcraft on average

Level 5
I Will! Modding For Starcraft 2 Will Be Amazing. After I Saw The Editing Powers At BlizzCon 09 I Was Jaw Dropped. I Mean Be Able To Rise And Lower The Water Level In Game?!?! Simply Amazing.

Level 19
Oh... but will you be able to make that lava:
-walkable and non-deadly
-system that allows you to change heigt or something by yourself. And not causing all those problems like with warcraft 3 crushing after lots of terrain edits in-game.

Well, I would presume so but since nothing has been officially announced we cannot be sure.

Level 12
Hell yes, I'll mod it. I stopped modding Warcraft for almost a year because I thought Starcraft was coming sooner. The tools available in Starcraft's editor sound fantastic. Now it's simply a matter of waiting for Blizzard to finally release the damn thing so we can see it's capabilities first hand.

I already have a couple of ideas :).

Status
Not open for further replies.