• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will there be a new resources are for Reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
We will definitely have a way to differentiate, be it a tag or a completely different section. I am making the feature to exclude resources with certain tags for the future version of the site. This allows you to see 'everything but X, Y and Z' which might be just as useful as see 'everything with X, Y and Z' tags.

Level 19
We will definitely have a way to differentiate, be it a tag or a completely different section. I am making the feature to exclude resources with certain tags for the future version of the site. This allows you to see 'everything but X, Y and Z' which might be just as useful as see 'everything with X, Y and Z' tags.

Will be very useful. Thanks for the reply, Ralle!

Something like Vanilla WC3/Standard WC3 and Reforged WC3.

I surely will still prefer the vanilla over reforged (probably most people will do to); First, because it's much simpler to make models in vanilla (low-poly, no specular and normals textures etc.) - I mean look at Starcraft II modding, it's not as huge as Warcraft's, Second, because the array of resources available in vanilla is already huge (because of the first reason I mentioned) - I know vanilla resources will also be compatible with the reforge too but mixing low-poly models (made for vanilla) to reforged will not surely work out very well (vanilla will look dull to reforged shiny models - you can try porting Warcraft III resources to Starcraft II and see the difference). I'm maybe wrong with some of the points I mentioned here, as far as I know we are not sure yet. I am also aware that Warcraft will not be using other engines apart from the current one but still the graphics will surely be similar to HOTS and SCII.

[I will be getting my Reforged probably a year after it's release to hear the feedbacks before I buy it]

Edit: Sorry I went offtopic to your thread. :D I'm pretty sure we will have separate sections for it. I hope Hiveworkshop will capture the Reforged players and not fall to other modding communities/forums out there so we can meet new people here.

Last edited:
Actually kellym0 does it and the result is quite fine especially with StarCraft II's shades and lightening engine. Classic Warcraft III should really benefit from such an enhancement.

I did notice, but you can clearly see the difference when you place Starcraft II's original assets to ported assets.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/media/green-dragon.126372/full?d=1563172368

Judging one of the screenshots he took you can clearly see the difference of the quality between Starcraft II and the ported Warcraft III models (the archer and the boats - ignore the WoW ports). This will be the same case with the reforged when you mix vanilla assets to the new assets. I'm not hating it by the way.

Yes but I was not referring to that. I'm saying that classic stuff looks even better if you only play with them in such an engine.

Yes ofcourse it will obviously. :D I did not say people should be stucked with the classic. Also, I'm not saying we should completely ignore one world over the other (ignore old assets to new assets or vice versa), All I'm saying is it's not good mixing both. I only answered this question.

Why people don't want to mix old models and new models instead?

But ofcourse it's personal preference.

Last edited:
Level 19
I like the vanilla models too, ive spent years playing with those cute little orcs and humans.

But what im planning to achieve with my campaign is, telling a story on a cinematic level. I will be using many wow models, and other games stuff. Many custom models, added to them, reforged will have the perfect look. Vanilla models dont have many bones for suitable animations and lets be honest they dont look good at all in close ups. Theyre meant for a top down view playing.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But what im planning to achieve with my campaign is, telling a story on a cinematic level. I will be using many wow models, and other games stuff. Many custom models, added to them, reforged will have the perfect look. Vanilla models dont have many bones for suitable animations and lets be honest they dont look good at all in close ups. Theyre meant for a top down view playing.
All that makes no difference when using Reforged models for cinematic scenes where they only stand or have as many animations as the classic models. Basically, it's just looking at a nicer picture but nothing more. The immersion is pretty much the same.

Yikes what have my murloc cultists summoned into too -

The reason those night elves seem so much less high level in definition is because the dragon has specular textures and emissive textures - the warcraft3 night elves only have diffuse and normal textures, not exactly a good thing for sc2 lighting and stuff but functional for the sc2 engine.

If I went and added specular and emissive textures to the already vanilla nightelf archer im sure the gloss and glowy eyes/shiney metal bits/extra surface area with roughness like capes and clothes would look great - I just dont think I plan on doing emissives/speculars for every thing, the boats too for example could look wet and shiney with proper changes, its up to you as too what you wish to see.

Im more then sure reforged will look great - they may show up our stuff and make us feel insecure and bad but truth is I like the look of starcraft2 hd rocks and trees and terrain/doodads with warcraft3 units even at such low resolutions as 256x256 (sc2 prefers 1080×1080) I personally like the blended look but im nostalgic by nature and biased towards the vanilla wc3 look so...

Level 25
My big question is: what are Reforged players gonna see if they play a map that has OG custom models in it? Will it look like that Archer in the image posted above?
I've barely read up on Reforged, but seeing how the updated engine seem to support most "modern texture/map types" - albedo, specular, normal, emissive, opacity, roughness and et.c. - almost everything done for WC3 Classic will look like a plastic toy in the new engine. And I'm 99% sure that this is the model that will be rendered in WC3 Reforged, unless they simply opt to render a "missing file" mesh, akin to the "Samwise Box" in WC3 Classic.

This is due to the fact that they will be missing most of the standard maps that gives, for example, SC2 meshes their "depth". Specular maps to regulate what reflects light and what doesn't, normal maps to simulate height and depth and et.c.

I.e. all old models made for WC3 that haven't been updated will look like the Archer posted above. A plastic sheen due to not having a custom specular map, which also dulls the colors of the diffuse/albedo map (the "skin"). A severe lack of details in comparison to other models with normal maps.

And of course, they'll look out of place due to being low poly in comparison to the high poly models of Reforged. They'll have a more "square-ish" look.

Could people fix their own specular maps for old models? Yes, it's not a big challenge. Normal maps however, are a lot more complicated, same goes for a handful of other maps. They more or less "demand" that you've a high poly version of the model your working on.

You can still craft normal maps from scratch with tools such as NDo2, but it's usually not worth the time for organic models. NDo2 can help you craft normal maps for simpler things however, such as tiling floor textures, environmental doodads and other things that can be crafted from a 2D plane. But as soon as your model gets complex, it's easier to bake the normals from a high poly model to a low poly model (normals explained).

Level 14
I think few people will want to make a model made up of 10,000+ polygons anyway so the Reforged models section will not be constipated anyway. Well, if hiveworkshop, invite the chinese and russian guys here, well, this will be a big party!

Level 7
We'll see what happens. Hive wasn't built in one day and Hive will not be WC3R ready before we know exactly what it is. Could be they have new formats for resources and we might automatically be able to distinguish them like that.

Yeah ive seen this hive way back years ago and i justt got back hearing about reforged..
This build community for warcraft 3 editors...

I think once reforge finally out and has its own resources we can see the difference and adjust from there on..

We cannot see what is inside the lovebirds egg if it doesnt hatch yet... We cant say its a lovebirds but we can really say its final color... So we wait... And hold our horses.. Lolzz

Thank you for the extensive explanation.

Hm... Sounds like precisely what I was worried about. :<
I feel like there should be an option in the WE to make a map use classic assets in Reforged. Or have Reforged automatically load classic assets if the map was saved in the classic WE. This would avoid mixing of Reforged assets with custom classic-style assets.

I'm also wondering about the reverse case. Will classic WC3 even be able to load maps with Reforged-style custom models?

Also, would it be acceptable to upload WoW models to the Hive provided they've been edited to fit into Reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.