1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Will there be a new resources are for Reforged?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by NightStalker, May 12, 2019.

1. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Since the models are going to be higher poly and with higher textures, older models will become obsolete, for only reforged players.

2. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, but as a separate section.
    No, classic models will not be obsolete. People might prefer the classic look and some people might not even like the new shinier models.

3. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ofc, they can always pick the vanilla look, the question is based on my view hehe. And thanks for the reply ^^

4. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You're welcome.
    It is never wrong to have a broader and more emphatic view on this. You might learn something.

5. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the lesson :) I've spent more than enough time with the older wc3.

6. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We will definitely have a way to differentiate, be it a tag or a completely different section. I am making the feature to exclude resources with certain tags for the future version of the site. This allows you to see 'everything but X, Y and Z' which might be just as useful as see 'everything with X, Y and Z' tags.

7. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Will be very useful. Thanks for the reply, Ralle!

8. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:

Something like Vanilla WC3/Standard WC3 and Reforged WC3.

9. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Why people don't want to mix old models and new models instead? I think there is no problem with mixing stuff. ::wgrin:

10. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I surely will still prefer the vanilla over reforged (probably most people will do to); First, because it's much simpler to make models in vanilla (low-poly, no specular and normals textures etc.) - I mean look at Starcraft II modding, it's not as huge as Warcraft's, Second, because the array of resources available in vanilla is already huge (because of the first reason I mentioned) - I know vanilla resources will also be compatible with the reforge too but mixing low-poly models (made for vanilla) to reforged will not surely work out very well (vanilla will look dull to reforged shiny models - you can try porting Warcraft III resources to Starcraft II and see the difference). I'm maybe wrong with some of the points I mentioned here, as far as I know we are not sure yet. I am also aware that Warcraft will not be using other engines apart from the current one but still the graphics will surely be similar to HOTS and SCII.

[I will be getting my Reforged probably a year after it's release to hear the feedbacks before I buy it]

Edit: Sorry I went offtopic to your thread. :D I'm pretty sure we will have separate sections for it. I hope Hiveworkshop will capture the Reforged players and not fall to other modding communities/forums out there so we can meet new people here.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually @kellym0 does it and the result is quite fine especially with StarCraft II's shades and lightening engine. Classic Warcraft III should really benefit from such an enhancement.

12. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I did notice, but you can clearly see the difference when you place Starcraft II's original assets to ported assets.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/media/green-dragon.126372/full?d=1563172368

Judging one of the screenshots he took you can clearly see the difference of the quality between Starcraft II and the ported Warcraft III models (the archer and the boats - ignore the WoW ports). This will be the same case with the reforged when you mix vanilla assets to the new assets. I'm not hating it by the way.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes but I was not referring to that. I'm saying that classic stuff looks even better if you only play with them in such an engine.

14. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yes ofcourse it will obviously. :D I did not say people should be stucked with the classic. Also, I'm not saying we should completely ignore one world over the other (ignore old assets to new assets or vice versa), All I'm saying is it's not good mixing both. I only answered this question.

But ofcourse it's personal preference.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah, OK, sorry. Indeed mixing them would look weird but I guess whatever gets people's kicks.

16. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I like the vanilla models too, ive spent years playing with those cute little orcs and humans.

But what im planning to achieve with my campaign is, telling a story on a cinematic level. I will be using many wow models, and other games stuff. Many custom models, added to them, reforged will have the perfect look. Vanilla models dont have many bones for suitable animations and lets be honest they dont look good at all in close ups. Theyre meant for a top down view playing.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All that makes no difference when using Reforged models for cinematic scenes where they only stand or have as many animations as the classic models. Basically, it's just looking at a nicer picture but nothing more. The immersion is pretty much the same.

18. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    We'll see about the animations hehe :p

19. kellym0

kellym0

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yikes what have my murloc cultists summoned into too -

The reason those night elves seem so much less high level in definition is because the dragon has specular textures and emissive textures - the warcraft3 night elves only have diffuse and normal textures, not exactly a good thing for sc2 lighting and stuff but functional for the sc2 engine.

If I went and added specular and emissive textures to the already vanilla nightelf archer im sure the gloss and glowy eyes/shiney metal bits/extra surface area with roughness like capes and clothes would look great - I just dont think I plan on doing emissives/speculars for every thing, the boats too for example could look wet and shiney with proper changes, its up to you as too what you wish to see.

Im more then sure reforged will look great - they may show up our stuff and make us feel insecure and bad but truth is I like the look of starcraft2 hd rocks and trees and terrain/doodads with warcraft3 units even at such low resolutions as 256x256 (sc2 prefers 1080×1080) I personally like the blended look but im nostalgic by nature and biased towards the vanilla wc3 look so...

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    My big question is: what are Reforged players gonna see if they play a map that has OG custom models in it? Will it look like that Archer in the image posted above?