• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why do people play MMORPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
(n00b who sucks at DotA, gets flamed by pros, dies constantly, and is jealous that maps he makes will never be as popular) "I hate DotA it sucks and isn't fun at all. My Naruto map is far superior in every way and nobody plays that because they are stuck on DotA. I hate DotA!!! If people would only stop playing it, then they might try my map and get hooked!"

(Pro who understands how to play DotA, has a great team, and plays competitively) "DotA is the only good map on Battle.net. Stupid TD's get old after playing 1-2 and then the rest are ZOMG NARUTO MAPS."

Ya Gilles you fit under the first category regardless of whether or not you make Naruto maps.

Level 15
Describe the meaning of "battlegrounds" hmm?
In World of Warcraft, "battlegrounds" are instanced PvP zones where players of near-equal level fight it out while attempting to accomplish different objectives, such as, for example, in Warsong Gulch, the Alliance and the Horde must try to capture eachother's flags.

Level 34
Dreadnought[dA];1092697 said:
Ya Gilles you fit under the first category regardless of whether or not you make Naruto maps.
That's fairly presumptuous of you.

Dreadnought[dA];1092697 said:
(n00b who sucks at DotA, gets flamed by pros, dies constantly, and is jealous that maps he makes will never be as popular) "I hate DotA it sucks and isn't fun at all. My Naruto map is far superior in every way and nobody plays that because they are stuck on DotA. I hate DotA!!! If people would only stop playing it, then they might try my map and get hooked!"

(Pro who understands how to play DotA, has a great team, and plays competitively) "DotA is the only good map on Battle.net. Stupid TD's get old after playing 1-2 and then the rest are ZOMG NARUTO MAPS."

Because everyone fucking well plays DotA, definitely. You know, I think Gilles belongs into category 3 - reasonable person?

Last edited:
Level 6
i play MMORPG for PVP and taste sweet victory after hard working to get high level equipment, and also working together with other players to pawns enemy players.

because of that, i dont play MMORPG without PVP system in it....

btw, MMORPG that i like to play is Ragnarok Online, Return of Warrior, and World of Warcraft, and the rest are crap....

Level 21
The only real answer is that they simply don't have anything better to do with their time. Period.
Frankly, if you play WoW (or any non-twitch based mmo for that fact) for the pvp aspect, you MUST be bored.

And there are always the few people who play PvE with RL friends once a week. The "normal" wow players, as I call them.

Level 34
The only real answer is that they simply don't have anything better to do with their time. Period.
Frankly, if you play WoW (or any non-twitch based mmo for that fact) for the pvp aspect, you MUST be bored.

And there are always the few people who play PvE with RL friends once a week. The "normal" wow players, as I call them.
Yeah, I tend to play video games when I'm bored, their quite fun. You're point is?

I hate PvE. You have to set aside long periods of time in your week, whereas in PvP, you can log on whenever, and play for an hour or two.

Level 6
The only reason you play a mmo instead of a normal game.. ("normal" lol)
Is because of the people playing it (Often referred to as friends).
At least that goes for me.

Level 21
Yeah, I tend to play video games when I'm bored, their quite fun. You're point is?

My point is that people play video games when they're bored, and gamers play mmorpg's when they get bored of gaming. It's what you do when you get bored of being bored.

I hate PvE. You have to set aside long periods of time in your week, whereas in PvP, you can log on whenever, and play for an hour or two.
Why exactly do you need to spend long periods of time on pve?? I'd actually say the opposite. You can log off pretty quickly from pve and continue later, you can't in pvp.
My point being that people play pve to be together with friends.
people play pvp because they've gotten bored of being bored.
I can understand the first group, I can only be sad of the second group.

Both pvp and pve are boring. The difference is that in pve you get to spend time with friends, while the amount of pvp'ers who play with people they actually know is rather scarce. So personally I can understand it if people play mmo's with friends, but I can't manage to understand why people play pvp unless they've got to be really bored.

Level 15
I personally liked PvP on this one private funserver I was part of. Want to know why? We (that is, the MIGHTY Horde) were encouraged to attack Stormwind in order to take control of it by killing a boss. Not only was there countless numbers of warriors on both factions, but there were countless numbers on both factions FIGHTING. It was a massive tug-of-war, which, as you probably guessed, ended with the temporary capture of Stormwind in the name of the Horde. This got the Alliance hopping mad, and then the army of 10-year-old gankers tried to take Stormwind back with all they had. Obviously, they failed. But all throughout it was a grand and massive battle that made me feel like I was playing a game of Warcraft III, except for the fact that I was a unit in a much bigger army.

This kind of stuff is exactly what I liked about World of Warcraft (atleast on the private server I played on, anyways). Almost every other MMO I've tried (namely the piece of **** Korean ones) sucked in comparison.

Level 34
I'm playing Warhammer Online right now, and it's pretty awesome. You don't get massive battles, but you can get around 24 people on each team. Rarely you might be able to get larger battles, especially guild fights, but I've never seen one.

Level 15
I'm playing Warhammer Online right now, and it's pretty awesome. You don't get massive battles, but you can get around 24 people on each team.
That's nothing compared to 3-4 40-man raids charging eachother.

Rarely you might be able to get larger battles, especially guild fights, but I've never seen one.
Isn't this Warhammer Online? THE PvP MMO?

It's a pity such a system seen on my private server isn't in the regular World of Warcraft. The only thing PvP is useful for is "EPIX", where as the Horde can capture Stormwind and Alliance can capture Orgrimmar (and they came close to doing just that, but I set them straight with my... FROSTSHOCK!), giving both sides a way to actually fight massive battles with one another in a non-instanced place. It's like Battlefield, Warcraft-style if you think of it.

Level 13
I'm playing Warhammer Online right now, and it's pretty awesome. You don't get massive battles, but you can get around 24 people on each team. Rarely you might be able to get larger battles, especially guild fights, but I've never seen one.
Actually, Open RVR has gotten more popular, especially due to the PvP influence rewards. With Open RvR you can sometimes get huge armies.

Level 36
People say "I play for the PVP." If you want PVP, why not play a shooter or something?

And the problem for me with MMORPG large-scale battles is levels. The level vs. strength curve is always way too much in MMOs (except for Runescape, surprisingly, seemed to get it right) and you can't have fights between a bunch of mid-level characters because some high-level will come along and take on EVERY SINGLE ONE. Especially games like WoW where if you're more than 10 levels below someone you can't even do ANY damage to them because every attack misses and every spell is resisted.

I don't particularly like Runescape, but I played it a few times when I was younger and I really liked the arenas they had that were like 50 vs 50.

Level 13
People say "I play for the PVP." If you want PVP, why not play a shooter or something?

And the problem for me with MMORPG large-scale battles is levels. The level vs. strength curve is always way too much in MMOs (except for Runescape, surprisingly, seemed to get it right) and you can't have fights between a bunch of mid-level characters because some high-level will come along and take on EVERY SINGLE ONE. Especially games like WoW where if you're more than 10 levels below someone you can't even do ANY damage to them because every attack misses and every spell is resisted.
MMORPG pvp is way different than shooter PvP.
Also in WAR there are systems to prevent people from the advantage of levels. in WAR everyone will get a stat boost in PvP areas, boosting their stats to something like 8/18/28/38 depending in which tier you are. Also in WAR after you are high enough level you can't go back to a lower tier's PvP area. Or you can but all your stats are reduced to 1 while in the area.

Level 34
Also in WAR there are systems to prevent people from the advantage of levels. in WAR everyone will get a stat boost in PvP areas, boosting their stats to something like 8/18/28/38 depending in which tier you are. Also in WAR after you are high enough level you can't go back to a lower tier's PvP area. Or you can but all your stats are reduced to 1 while in the area.
To explain further, if you are level 1, and you go into an RvR area, or a scenario, your stats and sells are buffed to a level 8 equivalent. You don't get all the sells a level 8 has, nor the armor, so you still aren't as good, but you can still fight.

As well you are turned into a chicken when you enter a PvP area that is well bellow you. Although on open RvR servers, you do get level 21s in the 1-11 area, which sucks (21 being the max level before you are turned into a chicken).

Level 36

Well that's bullshit then because not everyone can fight each other. What I'm saying is that there should be some level advantage but not insane, like 5 level 10s should be able to take on a level 50.

Level 15
(except for Runescape, surprisingly, seemed to get it right
You're so wrong it's not even funny. Oh wait, it is! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! In Runescape, the combat isn't skill involved. It's just left-click on this guy right here, wait till he starts getting little red numbers on his head, then when he hits you, you eat food. The guy with the higher attack/defence/strength/etc. level (and better armor/more food/etc.) wins.

I don't particularly like Runescape, but I played it a few times when I was younger and I really liked the arenas they had that were like 50 vs 50.
I've played in said "arenas". It was terrible. 20 people were standing ontop of one another. How am I supposed to react quickly to that?

What I'm saying is that there should be some level advantage but not insane, like 5 level 10s should be able to take on a level 50.
This is the issue many developers were stuck with when trying to make an MMO. Crimecraft and Huxley seem to know the score, however. Higher levels gain access to better abilities and weapons, but can still be taken down by a level 1 with ease... unless he himself is a total noob.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.