• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is your favorite race from Starcraft?

What race do you prefer?

• Zerg

Votes: 50 33.1%
  • Terran

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • Protoss

Votes: 48 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Race: Protoss

Best versus: People who think they are pro, and pull off tactics that would only work in the bronze-league(Cheese, all-in-rush), it can be done, but you actually have to be pro to do a good cheese or all-in-rush. Copying from some replay you saw of whiteRa, is not going to make your cheese anywhere good :)

Worst versus: Any Terran good at securing expansions, and who tries to get a long game (I'm bad at 30+ min games). This normally happens when a Terran goes siege-tanks and they get secured one or more expansion on a smaller map before I can get enough units to keep them from expanding, and then just starve them..

Level 34

Best versus: People who think they are pro, and pull off tactics that would only work in the bronze-league(Cheese, all-in-rush), it can be done, but you actually have to be pro to do a good cheese or all-in-rush. Copying from some replay you saw of whiteRa, is not going to make your cheese anywhere good :)
That happened to me in my only real match (I only play with friends). My friend and I accidentally clicked to find a match rather than the Co-Op AI button, and faced two other people. They seemed to be trying to use pro-tactics, and rushed us with nothing, and had some strange setup middle with a forge. I'm guessing they wanted to canon middle, but suck at it. We absolutely stomped them right after their rush was owned by our roaches. I was even playing Zerg, my worst race. We laughed after.

I have a perfect online record. :p

Level 22

To tell you, people have way better chance of learning through top replays than going on their own. Because those who dont see how to play a race end up making mass thors or mass battlecruiser hoping that their opponent will wait for them to make them..And some random irrelevant shit strategies.

Sure some are newbs but are fine trying to improve with it. On high levels they play the same as what you see in top replays. So what you see in tops is on higher leagues, random crap is at low leagues cause they dont know what to do. And since they don't they do not expect cheese, thus lows fall to cheese. The same tendency to play like in top replays was in war3 and SC1, though war3 became so known that even lowest skills knew what to do and which units to use vs a certain race.

I play zerg, plat, strongest is ZvP, i useally have a lot of roaches and hydras which counter gate units and i get a changeling, suicide ov to scout. if he has colossis i will make corruptors, which take them out for seconds. if he has a templar, i will make a nydus and some towers. when he attacks i will enter the nudys and destroy his base as fast as i can then i will return to defend with the towers.
My weakest is ZvT beause i forget to make hydras or banelings. when i nydus their base they just lift off...
ZvZ is mid

Level 4
What IS cheese?
@Dark Hunter1357: you know that if all your prob with zvt is that your forgetting stuff, just don't forget it lol. btw how does a toss player getting templar mean you get nydus worms?

Level 4
wouldn't it be easier to get overseers against dark templar? my only problem is high templar which own zerg like crazy.

Level 13
Zerg. Strongest against either protoss or terran (lolwut, you may ask. Early banelings, I reply). Probably protoss.

Weakest against zerg, obviously. Still need a good tactic against the buggers.

Level 4
banelings are good against toss fools. every protoss ive fought in platinum always walls with a couple of zealots, and it takes only liek 3 banelings to get through that. then the rest of your zergligns are scott free to kil lhis pylons and everything.

and also twisted a good thing to counter zerg is roaches and hydralisks. make afew zerligns and scout he mwhile getting roahc warren and if their getting alot of zerlings then expect a rush to mutas once they secure control over you (cuse lets face it even with roaches zerglings just move way too fast for easy control.)

never try to rush zerlings against thme unless your absolutely sure they suck ass. hope that helps

Level 13
banelings are good against toss fools. every protoss ive fought in platinum always walls with a couple of zealots, and it takes only liek 3 banelings to get through that. then the rest of your zergligns are scott free to kil lhis pylons and everything.

Baneling rush isn't exactly cost effective, and by the time you have 3 banelings with which to bust, the protoss will have stalkers. Zerglings pretty much hard counter stalkers early, sure, but not in a choke - and it'll be a choke.

Level 3
I play random, it's by far the BEST way to enjoy the game.

I like 3vs3 mostly (or 2vs2), because 1vs1 makes me nervous. I like relying on friends. This doesn't mean I suck or that I always get "carried" by a better player. It's just nice to know you are not alone on the fight.

I don't have a "most/least favorite" race. It really depends on the day.

Level 2
I play as Protoss because I simply can understand them the best in my micro-head.
I've played as Terran and Zerg aswell and won sometimes but they're not my favorites.

My favorite units are overall Roaches, Reaper and Stalkers.

Why?

Roaches: They can burry and travel underground.And truely a nemesis for many units early and late ingame.
Massing Roaches and Hydralisks together are always a great army. You could later push in almost whatever you want to aslong as you remember to be mobile.

Reaper: Of course, they have the most harassign weapong of all time against early protoss and Zerg, they can climb the cliffs and harass the enemy and then back down, over and over again. I love them - they are also great against Protoss with stalkers as their weapons are one-punch focused and their bombs against Pylons are always menacing.

STALKER<3:
STalker gotta be the one unit I absoloutly love, the blink ability is so lovely, their weapons too and also their speed, shield and life.
I can't say how much I love them but they're absoloutly, supercalifragilisticexpialidocioustic awesome.

Why did I pick Protoss?
Other than they have the strongest units. (Soak it up everyone, its my opinion)
I simply love them.
Their lore, their weaponry. How they really are.
I simply love them, and the warping is also.. Rather.. Amazing. :D

That's my opinion and pick.

Zerg. I was terran, because they are so anti-cheese and i hate loosing to cheese. But after i played 100 games as terran, i played a few with zerg and i was already a better player with zerg. now i play least as terran, because they can't have an instant army, like zerg can from many larvae or toss from warp gates. I like zerg, because i can start with ultralisks, and transition to mutalisks, then to hydralisk, or broodlords, basically any unit to any unit.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Terran and Protoss. I can't decide which I like the most, so I play both. I think I do equally well with both, too.
I like Protoss because I just love the High Templar, with his Feedback and (especially) Psionic Storm, and their techtree in general. In SC1 I can actually micro my Zealots and keep them alive, whilst in SC2 it's such a large mess that I don't even bother trying, though I will occasionally try to micro Stalkers. The rest of the higher tier units of their techtree, with perhaps the exception of Phoenixes, and most likely Dark Templar, are relatively easy to micro.
Terran are just awesome with their adaptability. Salvaging Bunkers, lifting off buildings, raising and lowering depots, it's just awesome. They're also the race that, most likely, can turtle the best. Missile Turrets, Siege Tanks, a few Vikings, and nothing can get through; not Brood Lords, not Colossi.

Level 12
I mostly play terran, but I'm learning how to play zerg. I like the terran becuase of their mobility and easier defensive set-up, and the mechs, gotta love mechs. I like the zerg becuase of the Nydus system's abilities to create a massive panic when 2-3 worms pop out of the ground during a fight, plus the system can handle a lot of units, so I can create a very large force and store them out of sight well the enemy thinks I'm some sort of sad attempt at a gamer.

Terran because they have pauldrons. Also I love marines and use them en masse any time I can.
i want to play against you(look at sig).
I play Protoss and usually zealot rush my enemies and win after 5 minutes.
If you want i can show you a replay how this strategy fails ^^

Level 22
And this is why you aren't consulted for strategic advice, Imtor. You clearly don't understand what is going on and yet you assume it's bad.

Had to delete the 'whine post'. You know what they used in beta and that it is different from that now, right? No, I'm not saying it's bad when several top terrans I saw use it. I'm saying they are a lot more confusing to learn and I have to choose either to play for wins or play to learn them. Since I chose to 'test' these strats I lost games from some that I would have owned in 8 minutes if I used beta strats. They are soo random and Im killing my account with these experiments when beta strats worked so well.

TvZ can be still the same, that I do, MMM and thors if Z survives hellions. Naama, a war3 player and now topping SC2 ladder has done this pretty well and that's what made me have no probs vs Zerg.

TvP is MMM again but with more marines and a raven, then even vikings if they get colossi. This is adaptable but when they come to me early when I have marines that I do the 'Maka' way I might lose the game cause Marines not so good vs Stalkers. And when I started with Marauders like in beta, protoss couldnt do a thing to me. It's leaving me defenseless with these strats, not to say not blocking your ramp as I see them doing vs toss is not something I would do now.

TvT is crazy. So they go fast Starport and in the mean time add some hellions and marines. Then they do the MMM with some vikings or banshee, no tanks (at least how Bratok vs Demuslim played). Now do I need to describe what a suicide it was to my account's stats to play like that when with tanks I would own terrans fast ..

It might be because like in beta, it takes time to learn and use these properly but testing it on ladder is free losses and I dont waste time with custom games. If I had someone better than me to train with.. In my war3 team we would train like that and help each other.

Level 40
If you watch the strategies a few time you should learn to watch for what makes it good, what timings it abuses, and so on (ever watch Day[9])? You definitely need to learn how to identify the key parts of a strategy.

--

TvT is often called the fastest evolving matchup and can definitely be hard to follow. Bio is certainly difficult to play against tanks, but it relies around effective marauder busts, abusing unsieging, and keeping on more bases than your opponent. If anything I'd say that if you are in the advantage you're better off going mech, and if you aren't then you're better off with since in a mech vs mech fight whoever started will a slight advantage will tend to snowball.

--

Marines are fine against Stalkers as long as you get Stim. The only issue with Marines in TvP are Colossi and High Templars.

--

Sure, it takes effort to follow how the metagame is changing, but there's a reason that it's changing.

Level 22
True, though I think it's a matter of time. In war3 after seeing so many replays, I didnt watch their BO anymore, just timing and things like that. But even then, I didnt see all of the advanced things I had to see. For SC2 im still at the level of learning these new BOs even have to learn the SCV order until they get 24 or they make them more than 16 at some point, while I dont follow when I do it myself.

At least im getting Platinum and several Diamond opponents already, so maybe I'll move myself first then train, cause I would feel uncomfortable taking part in any weekly tournament while in gold. Just like in war3 owning level 27-30 gives you a lot of experience while you're at lower, beating Diamond would get you up without having to go rank 1 or even top 10.

Though here is how again a lacking feature says its word - if I knew what league player im matching during the game (i.e stats or info chat commands), I'd know how to play..

Level 1
Main Zerg in solo - I suppose because of their mobility (read: slow creep spreading) and map control.
Random in team games.

Level 3
Zerg rules!

I play zerg because I use to play orignally starcraft since 97, my first game was as zerg in the campaign, I was 5 years old at the time and was instantly obsessed with zerg, love on first sight, played sc orignal from 97 to 2000 before i got the internet and played sc orignal until just 3 weeks ago when I got sc2, it is still an amazing game =D

Level 22
Only in SC, whether SC1 or 2 can happen such shit soem casual to break into your base with banlings and win, such casualties only happen in 'Starcraft'. I can say for all years at war3 if you're more skilled you'll lose from low skilled once per 50 games, here if someoen manages to do something, cause it's macro game and you lose, lolss

It's harder I admit it! I wouldnt otherwise lose from lower skilled, not that I lose, but let's say it happens more often than it was in war3

Level 8
when u get killed before u can make 60/60 u will think diferent, and, do u really use banelings? did u notices that each one cost almost the same that a ghost used to cost in bw?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.