• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What happens after death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
People who are saying something WILL happen after death are just being naive.

You don't know, there will probably not happen that much.

I think people believe in things like afterlife etc. because they cannot imagne it all to end then, just like that. They don't want to believe it could just end with nothingness and so they believe there should be something behind it all otherwise it doesn't make sense to them.

Why not.

Level 34
I just tl;dr most of this, but I wanted to comment on some people saying Heaven would be boring for eternity.

First off you're with God, and have attained true happiness. There can't be anything better.

Second, you're thinking of eternity as time. The Catholic Church (like many others) teach that there is no such thing as time, outside this world. When you die, time does not exist.

Level 27
Well that's a bit vague ...

How can you be there if time does not exist eh..

You must admit you can't imagne what it would be like being in a place which doesn't have time, i mean... wtf? =p

Seriously i think this true happiness things are just to cover up the ''You're dead, you won't come back here'' story. and people would like to believe that as a satisfaction.

Level 25
People who are saying something WILL happen after death are just being naive.

You don't know, there will probably not happen that much.

I think people believe in things like afterlife etc. because they cannot imagne it all to end then, just like that. They don't want to believe it could just end with nothingness and so they believe there should be something behind it all otherwise it doesn't make sense to them.

Why not.

Proof that it doesn't? ;)

Level 34
Well that's a bit vague ...

How can you be there if time does not exist eh..

You must admit you can't imagne what it would be like being in a place which doesn't have time, i mean... wtf? =p

Seriously i think this true happiness things are just to cover up the ''You're dead, you won't come back here'' story. and people would like to believe that as a satisfaction.
Of course I can't imagine it, nor can I prove it, it's simply what I believe.

I think that some people refuse to believe in heaven, simply because it requires sacrifice to get there.

Level 27
Proof that it doesn't? ;)

Why don't you prove the things you believe in. you can't you believe in them, and because of that you can't be sure.

Stop giving smartass comments =p

Of course I can't imagine it, nor can I prove it, it's simply what I believe.

I think that some people refuse to believe in heaven, simply because it requires sacrifice to get there.

Most people are raised in a religious family and are raised according to that religion, anyone who is raised by parents who don't have a religion would probably end up believing they're own things or being atheist.

Simple as that actually, im certain if all religious people would stop teaching these things to they're youth there would be a hell lot of less people who believe in god etc.

crap, i just noticed this is going to religion again. lets quit now =p

Level 27
Either that or logical and atheist...
Atheism only conflicts with the concept of an afterlife that is outside this universe. "Cogito, ergo sum," is where my logic is based. You are something, are you not? Think about your answer.
How can you cover up something for which nobody knows the answer? Nobody knows what happens after death, and everybody knows that nobody knows.
if all religious people would stop teaching these things to they're youth there would be a hell lot of less people who believe in god etc.
Yes, people only tend to think about things other people tell them about. If we stopped teaching science we would have less scientists. Maybe I should pull up a quote about any great work only having happened by standing on the shoulders of other.

Just for clarification, who here exists?

Level 19
Atheism only conflicts with the concept of an afterlife that is outside this universe. "Cogito, ergo sum," is where my logic is based. You are something, are you not? Think about your answer.

Atheism means you don't believe in an afterlife. We don't believe in a god, we don't believe an eternal resting place, and we don't believe in the priesthood.

So I am really not anything, which is what Atheism is.

Level 27
Yes, that is atheism. I don't see any reason to bring beliefs like that into this, because we already know those. I could give a crappy summary of Islamic belief, you could give the entirely uninteresting point of atheism, and everyone else their own. Or we could ignore all those conclusions, and try to build our own.

What happens to us after death?
Well, what are we in the first place?
God is one thing, but I think you'll find it rather difficult denying your own existence.

Level 19
Yes, that is atheism. I don't see any reason to bring beliefs like that into this, because we already know those. I could give a crappy summary of Islamic belief, you could give the entirely uninteresting point of atheism, and everyone else their own. Or we could ignore all those conclusions, and try to build our own.

What happens to us after death?
Well, what are we in the first place?
God is one thing, but I think you'll find it rather difficult denying your own existence.

First of all, you questioned what Atheism was, that's why I brought it up.

Second of all, I'm not denying my own existence, I'm denying the existence of the biblical god and his utopia up in the sky.

Level 27
How can you cover up something for which nobody knows the answer? Nobody knows what happens after death, and everybody knows that nobody knows.

My idea sounds much more believable to me than what for example christians believe. I mean... why shouldn't i just start believing in wizards and dragons right now...

Feels the same to me.

Yes, people only tend to think about things other people tell them about. If we stopped teaching science we would have less scientists. Maybe I should pull up a quote about any great work only having happened by standing on the shoulders of other.

Wrong example, come on man those can't be compared.

Level 6
There is in fact some real existing thing that happens when you die. It is a matter of faith in foundations and philosophies. One of the world religions (or non-religions) is correct, and the rest are false. Nobody has proven any of them to be right, but many are without real evidence. So, unless you deny the existence of reality, what happens in the end is a matter of opinion - until it actually happens. Then we will (or won't, if death is the end-all) see who was right (assuming at least one worldview is correct).

Level 34
This is rather getting to philosophical. You think therefor you exist? How can you know do you exist? How can you know are you even a human, as a human isn't defined. If you aren't defined do you truly exist?
I believe I exist based upon self-evident truth. Which is something that is "evident in itself without proof or reasoning."

Why don't you prove the things you believe in. you can't you believe in them, and because of that you can't be sure.
Why don't you prove the things you believe in?

Most people are raised in a religious family and are raised according to that religion, anyone who is raised by parents who don't have a religion would probably end up believing they're own things or being atheist.

Simple as that actually, im certain if all religious people would stop teaching these things to they're youth there would be a hell lot of less people who believe in god etc.
Of course, but what does that prove?

My idea sounds much more believable to me than what for example christians believe. I mean... why shouldn't i just start believing in wizards and dragons right now...

Feels the same to me.
I have my doubts as to whether or not you've actually thought much about religion. Especially the line "Feels the same". This implies that you base your opinions on feelings, rather than reason or logic.

Level 27
Why don't you prove the things you believe in?

You're repeating what already has been said.

Of course, but what does that prove?

What i said.

I have my doubts as to whether or not you've actually thought much about religion. Especially the line "Feels the same". This implies that you base your opinions on feelings, rather than reason or logic.

Do you guys exist to annoy me or something?

Okay what the hell am i to say about the second sentence.. seriously wtf.

Now quit the religious shit already, we know this is going nowhere there have been other threads about this and everyone disagrees with everyone and it would lead out to be nothing than just discussing something with no outcome in the end.

Level 34
You're repeating what already has been said.
I was making a point. You can't "prove" anything, but you can use reason to come to a "reasonable" conclusion.

Now quit the religious shit already, we know this is going nowhere there have been other threads about this and everyone disagrees with everyone and it would lead out to be nothing than just discussing something with no outcome in the end.
You expected a thread called "What happens after death?" not to include discussion about religion?

The outcome is, hopefully, a better understanding of life after death. There won't be any revelations in this thread, there won't be any decisive conclusion, and no one is going to suddenly change their minds; but hopefully people will become more educated afterwards. I only talk in these threads to learn more about my own beliefs, and about the beliefs of others.

Level 40
I am of the opinion that after death, you just... cease to exist (consciously that is, your bones are still around and such), and that heaven/hell/etc were created by people afraid of the idea of ceasing to exist.

I won't know who's right for a while now, though.

--

Whoever is whining about religion being brought up... the topic is inherently religious, get over it.

I was making a point. You can't "prove" anything, but you can use reason to come to a "reasonable" conclusion.
And your reasoning is?

And yes, hopefully it will at least raise awareness of the other side's point of view. Beyond that, I think we all find religious debates fun, or we wouldn't take part in them.

Level 27
I was making a point.

But i already said that to LordDZ >.>

You expected a thread called "What happens after death?" not to include discussion about religion?

The outcome is, hopefully, a better understanding of life after death.

Well i was hoping people had learned something about the other few threads that involved religion. Some of them ended up deleted or closed i believe etc.

As they said back then, the subject it's just totally useless to discuss it and leads to nothing.

lolol, ok purplepoot im not whining about it i just thought these things would get deleted on sight but ok. I don't get it anymore bye.

Btw this is about what happens after death, not about life after death.

Level 15
And so it's decided, ima get myself an Aegis of the Immortal, I WILL NEVER DIE, I will tread this mortal coil, the valkyries soaring above me, never getting to take me, until light becomes dark and Surt's infernal flame burns this Yggdrasil into oblivion.

Hopefully....

Level 34
I am of the opinion that after death, you just... cease to exist (consciously that is, your bones are still around and such), and that heaven/hell/etc were created by people afraid of the idea of ceasing to exist.

I won't know who's right for a while now, though.

--

And your reasoning is?
The biggest reason? Because the Catholic Church says there is. There are certain things I take for granted that the Church teaches, simply because my reasoning has lead me to believe that the Catholic Church is the true church.

Along with that, my intuition tells me there is a Heaven and Hell. Of course you could argue that I have that intuition because I was brought up to believe in Heaven and Hell, and you'd probably be right, but I still think there is.

Also, as you said, it's hard to fathom the idea of ceasing to exist. It's depressing to think that when we die, our life really didn't matter a whole lot. Humans naturally strive for something, and we naturally want to believe that there is a purpose to our existence. Because of this, I believe that it's self-evident that there is something beyond us, a supernatural. This leads me to other things and eventually to a belief in Heaven and God.

-----

What makes you believe in a lack of after-life?

Level 4
it's hard to fathom the idea of ceasing to exist.

Is it really? I assume it is pretty much like the time before one is born. Think back to the past when you existed but can't remember anymore. Think of a time before you were born. Non-existence, eh?

Technically, that isn't "ceasing to exist", per se, but the feeling of non-existence should be the same as I do believe that things come full-circle, albeit only once.

Level 19
If you want to get into technicalities, no one is ever 100% dead. As your body is eaten by bugs, your body parts become muscles for small insect life. Your nutrients seep into the ground and you allow nearby plant life to nourish and grow. The way I see it, death is just a resting place before being awakened as hundreds of different bug muscles, fragile branches, and insignificant piles of fesis!

Level 34
If you want to get into technicalities, no one is ever 100% dead. As your body is eaten by bugs, your body parts become muscles for small insect life. Your nutrients seep into the ground and you allow nearby plant life to nourish and grow. The way I see it, death is just a resting place before being awakened as hundreds of different bug muscles, fragile branches, and insignificant piles of fesis!
What a wonderful view on life. We're just going to become a pile of feces in the end. :p

Level 40
The biggest reason? Because the Catholic Church says there is. There are certain things I take for granted that the Church teaches, simply because my reasoning has lead me to believe that the Catholic Church is the true church.

Along with that, my intuition tells me there is a Heaven and Hell. Of course you could argue that I have that intuition because I was brought up to believe in Heaven and Hell, and you'd probably be right, but I still think there is.

Also, as you said, it's hard to fathom the idea of ceasing to exist. It's depressing to think that when we die, our life really didn't matter a whole lot. Humans naturally strive for something, and we naturally want to believe that there is a purpose to our existence. Because of this, I believe that it's self-evident that there is something beyond us, a supernatural. This leads me to other things and eventually to a belief in Heaven and God.

-----

What makes you believe in a lack of after-life?
Exactly the same reasoning that makes you believe in one; that the only semi-logical reason people embrace it for is fear of death, and it doesn't really make much sense when you think about it.

Level 6
I myself am not afraid of death, and I don't think other people should be either. Though it may look scary while you are still living, after you finally lay to rest there will be nothing more to worry about. No politics, no stupid people, no stress... It will all be over. I actually... sort of look forward to the experience. Or, speaking technically, I look forward to the lack of experience.
And I also think that our views, or religious beliefs, should not be based on that of the people that lived thousands of years ago in ancient civilizations, whose knowledge of life and science in itself was only fragments of what we know now. I'm not saying that heaven, hell, god, or whatever, don't exist... but that it seems very unlikely to me.

Level 6
i believe that when we die this giant button shows and a little note beneath saying "god couldnt take your call please restart from beginning" and then you get reborn!...

just like a freaking video game, its all hax and magicz!

P.S. life is a lie... the end

Level 3
I believe that when we die its just like sleeping and when God comes back he will rez us and take those who believe in him to heaven!!

I think that is exactly what happens

then how life started?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.