• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What game has the best story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Personally, i think any game with Magic has a horrible Plot line. Because then usually, writers get lazy and can make shortcuts by going (Eh, lets just say he gets magically revived by the phoenix dragon or some shit...)

Of course knowing them, the shortcut is usually alot worse. Thats excluding the FF series, I think its a stupid plot anyways, but atleast its not like the others.

I'd say Bioshock, Mass Effect or Grand Theft Auto 4.

And maybe Assasins creed... but i cant say that, since the cliff hanger ending killed it. Although, the ending is ingenious, if you study the... "Things" that appear at the end and understand what they mean (Screw that i couldnt do it, i looked it up on the internet). I dont want to spoil it for those who dont know or actually care.

Best story?

I'm tempted to say Mass Effect, but Kotor 2 just does it for me. It's subtle, dark and even a bit emotional (love the dantooine scene at the end).

Assassins Creed is a failure ,a copy after Prince of Persia and nothing more

Assassin's Creed is Prince of Persia with better platforming, sandbox environnement, better graphics and more realistic sword fighting... actually, it barely resembles Prince of Persia.

Level 13
I can't decide which so I'll go on ahead and say:
The Gothic Series
Fallout 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment

Level 13
Except that Assassin's Creed is better than every prince of Persia game besides the remake of the original...
What's with this debate? The Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time and after that) have been made by the same people as Assassin's Creed. I see no point in arguing which is a rip-off of which since Game Developers tend to combine ideas from their previous games into newer games.

Level 4
It's obvious that his title should go to Mafia (2002). Then whole atmosphere simply sucks you in. It's like you're more of a watching a superbly scripted movie, than playing another blow-'em-up game. I just hope the second game will live up to the expectations storywise.

To make this post bigger (and then return after 2 months just to post another of my endless opinions) I also must mention that Myst series maintains a good story. Game characters rarely bump in, while the player's exploring different ages. So that leaves him to find out what's happening by himself. At times player may even experience that he doesn't have the control over story, everything is happening behind his back, and then he turns around just to find no one there, besides a small script of the story. After that he adds it to the whole pot.

Level 26
Deus Ex. Say otherwise and I'll stab your testicles with a soldering iron.

There are plenty of Japanese visual novels with awesome storylines, but they're created just for, in fact, the storyline and don't have many gameplay elements, so I guess you can't call them actual games.

Level 17
I can't decide which so I'll go on ahead and say:
Fallout 1 & 2

So true. I have played quite a lot games in my life but the Fallout 1 and 2 was far the most amazing. Its non-linear gamestyle, kickass humour and awesome storyline is second to none.

I haven't played Deus Ex and Gothic too much but I plan to play them some day. Half-Life has a somewhat entertaining gameplay but excuse me.. Story? Any grade-schooler kid could make up a story like Half-Life's. There is nothing extraordinary about it and I played Hl1 through like 2 times, Hl2 and episode 1 a gazillion times since I have a kid brother who loves that game, so I kinda know every dialog by heart.. and it's just not so impressive.

Level 5
Earthbound I think has the best, if not the funniest. It's the only rpg where its really fun to talk to all the npc's because they have somthing witty to say.

Level 11
Im gonna have to go with Final Fantasy VII or IX. Or XII... IV is good too... Damn!

I don't know if this counts but, the Warhammer 40k universe has thousands of seperate storylines, each and everyone amazing in its own right.

Level 9
Mass Effect is one of the few console games where i was worried how everything is going to unfold.

The story is truly remarkable. Anyone who owns a 360 needs to play Mass Effect.

There's also PC version.

Level 3
I'd have to say Half-Life 1&2, Tales of Symphonia, Baldur's Gate 2, and Gothic 1&2 all have awesome story-lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.