• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What do you study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
I'm going to be studying my third year of my electronics and software engineering undergraduate, potentially with a fifth year masters program.

Speaking of which, can anyone lend me their opinion:

Introduction to vision and robotics, or statistics?

Engineering software or digital systems lab?

Pick 2: Large practical, algorithms and data structures, databases, machine learning

Lastly, computer communications and networks, or computer security

Level 34
Astronomy? What would you do after that? It probably doesn't provide a lot of employment.
Who cares? While it's a fair question, it bugs me that it's the first question people ask.

The point of University shouldn't be employment, but education. Study what you love.

I study Philosophy. Can you tell?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I asked because unemployment rates in my country are too high, my parents are getting old and I don't want to risk not being able to provide for them. I would have went for different studies myself if I could pick out of just anything, but you can't deny that you change your life forever.

Well, I actually like a lot of things: medicine, economics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, psychology, philosophy too and especially education, but teachers in my country are treated horribly both by students and the government itself. I'd be in a dilemma if I were to pick while despising employment rates, maybe that's why informatics engineering turned out to be my choice.

Level 6
Astronomy? What would you do after that? It probably doesn't provide a lot of employment.

Dude, it's like asking what any other scientist does after graduating.
Who do you think is calculating spacecrafts' way out of our planet to its orbit? Who works at the observatories? Who makes researches related to astrophysics, like learning more about stars' radiation and whatever? Who is a scholar of the most important subject in the Universe?
K-Poppers
Astronomers.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Sure, but what I'm asking is what number of those astronomers are actually doing what astronomers do and what is the retirement/graduation ratio. Since people didn't access education as easily before and a few countries (like mine) let their superior teachings grow with no control whatsoever (far beyond what the government even could afford), I reckon it's more graduations than retirements.

Level 12
Currently in the 2nd week of my Diploma in Information and Communications Technology, which will take 2 years to complete. Then I hope I can get a good result and be eligible for scholarship to study abroad for another 2 years in Bachelor of Computer Sciences (Hons). :)

Level 14
I'm just taking random classes for now. What I want to do for a career doesn't require an education. I'm just going to college to learn more about the world, what has happened in the world and other skills that could be useful for me in the future.

Level 24
I think I'll regret not having went for economics :p Let us know how interesting it is when you get there. It's the equivalent of uni, right? When will you get started?
I did promise an update on this. Given that I've studied for just a week by now, my views should not at all be representative for the education as a whole.

My program is essentially business/economics, we specialize more further into the education; now it's pretty generic things to give us a good foundation to build on.

My first and current course is marketing. Pretty interesting thus far, if a bit fuzzy at times, but I guess that's just the nature of the subject. I've gotten quite a bit of anxiety about the impending exam already, despite it being in almost a month... Oh well.

Following the marketing course are management and organisation, statistics and introduction to macro economics. I'm especially looking forward to the two later ones, but we'll see.

Overall I'm happy with my choice, and am looking forward to the rest of a hopefully great journey.

Level 11
I asked because unemployment rates in my country are too high, my parents are getting old and I don't want to risk not being able to provide for them. I would have went for different studies myself if I could pick out of just anything, but you can't deny that you change your life forever.

Well, I actually like a lot of things: medicine, economics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, psychology, philosophy too and especially education, but teachers in my country are treated horribly both by students and the government itself. I'd be in a dilemma if I were to pick while despising employment rates, maybe that's why informatics engineering turned out to be my choice.

Interesting, you'r country reminds me allot of my own. There is no respect to teachers, and students act rather violently upon them. Corruption plays a big role in my country... sadly...

Level 6
I'm currently studying Computer Science with a track towards Java, I will also take a track towards C++ in later years.
I'm minoring in business to help me get a job, lol, hopefully.
I was thinking I should minor in Mathematics, but sadly, that'd be far too complicated as Pre-Calculus was difficult for me.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Just to clarify, the nomenclatures of our education system are as follows:

1-4th years: primary/elementary school, first cycle
5-6th years: basic education, second cycle
7-9th years: basic education, third cycle
10-12th years: high school(?), secondary teachings

Level 36
Surprisingly interesting subject, being that there'll be interesting
subjects to share their stories. (That's not to say there's none already.)

I've not been studying for nearly four years now, and dear oblivious-to-my-world
gods how I've missed it. For the final year or so, working as a Carpenter, I've been
tearing my hair out by the roots of boredom and excitement toward the idea of
studying.

And at that cue, I'll have you know I plan to take up studies come fall. At first I'll be
doing basic subjects as a privateer (if that's at all the right word) to get some papers
basically saying it's "ok" for me to enter university and college and other schools of
higher learning. From there I reckon I'll either follow my dream of becoming an Author,
and as such study English and Writing, or follow another interest of mine and
study Anthropology.

Either way, I really fuckin' can't wait.

So, to further the story of the changes in my life, I've started studying now.
Basically, as I stated back there in 04-09-2013, I'm now studying to get my
"Higher Education Entrance Qualification"-papers, which basically means I'll
have to take some extra classes through this year that I didn't take during
my two years in high school. For those interested, these are:

- History
- Mathematics
- Norwegian
- Science
- Theoretical Gymnastics (Yay!... >.>)

And as a chosen study, in place
for doing a foreign language study:

- Sociology/Anthropology

It's going to be tough, and is tough currently, but I'm loving this. Why I didn't start studying
before now is completely beyond me, though I guess it's got something to do with that I
wanted to finish my apprenticeship and get my certificate of apprenticeship. Currently the only
two subjects of higher education that intrigues me seems to be Psychology or Anthropology,
but on the side of that I do still have this dream of becoming an Author and might as thus
focus on some form of education that might better benefit that dream.
- Life is exciting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.