• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I'm just curious, what does the members of this community study (or previously studied, in case you've already received your degree)?

For those with limited thinking ability, I'm referring to college and/or university (depending on the school system of your respective countries). I don't give a rat's ass about what classes you take or plan to take during your high school years.

Anyway, I'll go first. After high school I started on a sort of math/physics/chemistry preparation year before I'd be able to start my studies to become an engineer. But now about one year later I've decided to change course almost completely and go for economics instead. So in about five years time I should've acquired my master's in economics!

What about you?

Level 34
I'm currently in a Bachelor of Arts program. My major is probably going to be philosophy, but I haven't declared it yet. I am currently studying Philosophy, Political Science, 19th Century European History, and Literature.

Level 24
I'm currently in a Bachelor of Arts program. My major is probably going to be philosophy, but I haven't declared it yet. I am currently studying Philosophy, Political Science, 19th Century European History, and Literature.
Ah, sounds like very interesting topics of choice. Isn't it hard to get a qualified job after after an education like this, though?

Level 18
Molecular biology, I'm in my fourth and final bachelor year. With some luck I'll enroll for Master's in Germany. If not, there are still some decent places in my backwater country.

Anyway, you say there's something you don't give a rat's ass about? A pity, I bet it'd be an interesting object for many studies.

Anyway, you say there's something you don't give a rat's ass about? A pity, I bet it'd be an interesting object for many studies.
???

Anywho:
Bachelor studies:
Food- and Biotechnology (Chemistry, Molecularbiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Math/Statistics, Engineering and Management combined).
No idea what field I'll write my Bach. Project in yet (though there are tendencies), nor which Master I am going to take afterwards.​

Okey my English is bad but I want to take part in this forums. I am not student(will be in one year) :)

Probably Electronic, or even some kind of Nuclear Physic, IT and on last place Mathematics :). I am not nerd man, I study once in week about 30 min, I am just really gifted for this kind of science xD. If I get lucky will go in Gratz- Austria.

Level 29
i studied drafting and design technologies for 3 yrs in a technical school while in high school. After that i just opened a business at 19 so there was no reason to go back to school again. i still plan on going to school for electrical engineering / programming / plumbing / welding / and mybe one or 2 others just to have the degrees cause i like doing those things as hobbies although working them around owning a business is going to be a bit of a pain in the ass lol

Level 36
Surprisingly interesting subject, being that there'll be interesting
subjects to share their stories. (That's not to say there's none already.)

I've not been studying for nearly four years now, and dear oblivious-to-my-world
gods how I've missed it. For the final year or so, working as a Carpenter, I've been
tearing my hair out by the roots of boredom and excitement toward the idea of
studying.

And at that cue, I'll have you know I plan to take up studies come fall. At first I'll be
doing basic subjects as a privateer (if that's at all the right word) to get some papers
basically saying it's "ok" for me to enter university and college and other schools of
higher learning. From there I reckon I'll either follow my dream of becoming an Author,
and as such study English and Writing, or follow another interest of mine and
study Anthropology.

Either way, I really fuckin' can't wait.

Level 24
Either way, I really fuckin' can't wait.
That about sums it up for me as well. I can't fucking wait to start my economics program come fall.

Also, there seems to be a lot of variety in what people here study (or plan to), more so than I had honestly expected.
Actually makes me a bit glad to see 95% aren't aspiring game developers who'll most likely get their hearts broken more than once during their career, upon realizing how shitty that business is in contrast to their childhood dreams.

Level 34
Ah, sounds like very interesting topics of choice. Isn't it hard to get a qualified job after after an education like this, though?
Not from what I understand. I don't have a statistic to throw out - and who trusts those anyways - but most people don't end up in a job that relates directly to their field of studies. I can give anecdotal evidence and say that this is true of the people I know.

I have given thought to pursuing psychology after my philosophy, but that's merely a thought that comes up more than other thoughts.

My goal, career wise, is to work with people. I'm social by nature and I found the trades, while enjoyable in their own rights, were not nearly social enough for me.

Level 18
I guess if i post here i am out of league, well i don't actually care xD
I'm a Middle School Student, in 12 days i'm going to be a Highschool Student though, exams coming up!(NATIONALS!!)

I'm going to take Science and not to take economics in my high, since i'm gonna take something related to computer stuff and whatnot(probably programming, if not then designing), i am quite motivated to make my own computer company, but still no clue on what to do, or instead become an artist, i'm quite good with my hands actually.

So to the question, What do you study?:
-Computer Programming(Still learning..)
-Web Designing(HTML-CSS, not good at them either)
-Japanese Language(Learning kanji is f*cking difficult)
-School (Well , what else? school!)

Oh boy was that not interesting? To damn tedious xD

Level 30
mine's a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology by taking the field of networking which sums up for only 4 years(2009-2013) but to my ruthless decision to assemble the world's mightiest(nerdiest) heroes to make up for the thesis(which is now over) and got delayed for 1 more year, I should've been working on a company right now

Level 36
Also, there seems to be a lot of variety in what people here study (or plan to), more so than I had honestly expected.
Actually makes me a bit glad to see 95% aren't aspiring game developers who'll most likely get their hearts broken more than once during their career, upon realizing how shitty that business is in contrast to their childhood dreams.

I reckon the case IS that most people that's ever modded anything at a young age has fooled around with the idea to become a game's developer.
- I know I have.

Most people just actually realizes how horrible (to them) it is before they actually start seriously studying it. Well... That or they move on, I can name a couple game development aspirants that's been part of this site, most of them are either gone or extraordinarily inactive.
- Yes, people really aren't that fucking stupid.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Pharmacy, integrated Master's degree studies, first year (out of five).
It works like that in Portugal too, it's 5 year integrated master with the last year being internship.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd use my free time to study HTML and Python and all the other things in the world.
Subscribed. I'm in Informatics Engineering and to know that companies value people who know scripting and stuff above everything else that comes with being an engineer is disappointing.
Might as well take a course on something else and learn programming in your own time. I'd go to Economics if I was back to the decision point. It feels like a huge waste of time to study what I'm taking right now and, whilst the market might have a lot of spots for informatics, since nowadays every university and poopy polytechnic school has an informatics course, I fear the sector will soon hit the limit.

I reckon the case IS that most people that's ever modded anything at a young age has fooled around with the idea to become a game's developer.
- I know I have.
I haven't, even though I'm in informatics. I have quite some trouble working in team and I like to do things on my own schedule, even if it means I'm modding the same map for 5 years and have yet to release it xD (pressure ain't that bad sometimes).

P.S. — And yeah, that's quite a lot more diversity than I'd expect.

Last edited:
Level 24
- I know I have.
As have I, even if such dreams have long since passed.

I did however plan to study computer/systems science until recently, though, which could've lead to some sort of career in the gaming industry, whether I liked it or not.

Oh well, I'm just hoping I'll enjoy economics as much in real life as I do in theory.

Level 14
First year Magistrate in Bank accounting, Governmental Finances and EU Marketing.

There is nothing more pleasing than understanding between-governmental politics when they spit poison at each other but make it look like a friendly visitation.

For anyone deciding to study science and physics - you are too late. European scientists already managed to tie a knot from water.

Level 34
Oh well, I'm just hoping I'll enjoy economics as much in real life as I do in theory.
You should definitely study political science. In my opinion, economics should be taught along side political science. I believe there is a University in the USA that has a political economic doctorate now.

Level 24
You should definitely study political science. In my opinion, economics should be taught along side political science. I believe there is a University in the USA that has a political economic doctorate now.
And I'd love to, given that the labor market for political scientists in Sweden wasn't as bad as it is and the education wasn't nearly as leftist (I've heard horror stories about this, unfortunately one too many to discard as simple rumors).

Level 9
Well I am currently studying filmaking and production, my goal is to make a LOTR like movie in the future, hopefully one of you guys will watch and read: Director: David Sanhueza ahahaha that would be so sick!

I am also working my skills in filmaking on my youtube account thats on my signature :p

Level 26
Life shows that when you're in high school you really know nothing about ur future path.

I've ended with 3pts needed for medicine studies and resignated to try again. Went for 3 years to study Bioinformatics first degree, and now I'm moving to programming science.
Won even few indexes/competitions (or hows its called in eng) in chemistry/biology. Now I'm asking myself what was that all for?
Meaby it's all because of friends and such since I'm surrounded by IT folks.

Level 23
I finished an Honours degree in Software Engineering a couple of years ago now, and got several jobs in the computing industry.

Studying was fun up until about 3rd year; the group project was horrendous (you don't get to form your own teams so inevitably you end up with some cock mongler that does no work). 4th year involved learning crap about stuff I didn't care about, so by the end of that I was glad to be shot of uni.

Miss the lifestyle, mind you, but all the essay-writing sucked baws. I just wanted to make the computer do things, and while the industry has a skills shortage of people like that, the uni consistently wants to teach useless peripheral crap so that people who can't program can still get first-class computing degrees and the industry can remain wallowing in its own crapulence.

Gosh, do I sound bitter or what?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
(...)
I've ended with 3pts needed for medicine studies and resignated to try again. Went for 3 years to study Bioinformatics first degree, and now I'm moving to programming science.
Won even few indexes/competitions (or hows its called in eng) in chemistry/biology. Now I'm asking myself what was that all for?
Meaby it's all because of friends and such since I'm surrounded by IT folks.
It's tough to get into medschool in your country too? Same for mine, average of entry is a minimum of 18 out of 20. Shame.

Level 5
As of now, secondary upper school - graduating this summer - in the Natural Science program.

I'm starting my bachelor's in Theoretical Physics in October.

Level 24
You mean in a specific test right? Because mine is calculated with 50% of high school grade and 50% of exams. The best average I've known in my country was 19,6.
Here you go straight from high school to med. school, and the highest possible grade one can graduate high school with is 22.5 which also happens to be the requirement to get into med. school.

Level 24
...Right ._. how many people do get in? Your high school's gotta be easier than mine. Like I said, the brightest people I've known did not have a maximum grade.
I believe a few hundred begin their medical studies each year in all of Sweden (there are maybe 8 or 9 universities that offer this program).

As for the difficulty, I'd assume our is not only easier, but also suffers severly from grade inflation (that has been going on for quite a while here).

Level 24
Turns out I scored a result of 75% (top 8% nationally, to put it in perspective) on the Swedish SATs and need not worry about getting accepted into the school I've applied for. Five years of economics studies await! Can't wait, actually. Then again I bet it will suck once I get there, as most things do. ><

Level 1
Currently studying Computer Science and it's awesome! The math is simple compared to other engineering programmes and we basically spend all day programming. Will hopefully be done by 2017 :)

Level 1
Turns out I scored a result of 75% (top 8% nationally, to put it in perspective) on the Swedish SATs and need not worry about getting accepted into the school I've applied for. Five years of economics studies await! Can't wait, actually. Then again I bet it will suck once I get there, as most things do. ><

I'm from Sweden too and also got accepted through Högskoleprovet. It really saved me since I spent all my years in school slacking and got poor grades as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.