• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Interest vs. Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I just quit my university program (Teacher program in Swedish litterature, language study etc) becuase of lack of interest and decided to go for my dreamjob instead (Game designer).

It will take 1-2 years for me to study the requirement courses needed for the game design program, and I will have to look for a part time job etc (which is very hard to get). The time period before I get into university will be though (especially economically) but I can also use this time to prepare.

My family have reacted differently, some think it is a good idea, some think it is crazy and say I should not have quit. But the teacher program is SO uninteresting, I just can't sit down and study those subjects.

So, I need some outside-opinions. What do you guys think? My head is like a "ball of yarn" (is this the right expression lol?).
Thanks for any opinions.

Level 23
Always do things, that you will be able to, one day look back and proudly say "I dont regret doing it". If you really feel uncomfortuble/uninterested with your study, maybe its not for you(you already quit, so I think this is not really revertable :D).

Chase you dreams, but dont close your eyes(as you seem to not).

Do what will make YOU happy, because you live your life, not your family's.

I dont know what other sentences that look intelligent I could spit, so I will stop here.

Level 25
Unless if you're in a developing economy, go with your dream job.

In my experience, doing a job you don't enjoy will destroy your soul.

Game design is one of the fields that won't be affected by the coming robotics revolution, so it's actually a wise choice if you consider where you want to be in 30 years.

I suggest you start making games (if you haven't already), as game design is one of those fields that you can do without a qualification. The knowledge and methodology that comes with the qualification is definitely useful, but you can go quite far without it.

Level 15
Go for it, you never know what will happen until you try it.

That being said, the best way to get into Game Design/Development is to just jump and get your feet wet. Better yet, get your whole body wet. Don't hold back. Get at least a general idea of how nearly every piece of the puzzle fits together, from Design to Art to Engineering/Programming. Once you have a general idea of the big picture, it's time to dig in and get to work.

In the Game Development world, experience is often a far more effective teacher than any class or course will ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.