• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Back to business. The next Challenge can take place. Here's a poll for dates in August. In any case it will be from 8pm to 8pm (UTC+2) of the next day.

This will be the 4th round and as already previously mentioned, there are rule changes:

• The amount of needed key words is reduced to 1 (from 2). There will still be 2 key words to choose from.
  • You may revive and continue one of the entries of your own you did in an earlier Challenge. The conditions are that you are not currently working on the project and that you insert/match the key word criteria of the current round.
  • As you may have presumed from the changed time range, the Challenge no longer overlaps with the Funmap Evening. Infact, there is one hour break time in between.

Genre pool for this round (from which 2 will be rolled):

aeon
arena

capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars

misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Update: Poll ended. The 4th round of the Challenge will be held from 15th to 16th August 8pm to 8pm (UTC+2). Here is an online countdown timer.

Last edited:
Level 14
If you roll cool genres (like RPG) i might actually participate :)

The conditions are that you are not currently working on the project and that you insert/match the key word criteria of the current round.
This means im allowed to recycle old projects, as i didnt open the world editor for months .. ? I mean its not a contest, so creating cool maps is more important than 100% standing to the rules, right?

Level 26
This means im allowed to recycle old projects, as i didnt open the world editor for months .. ? I mean its not a contest, so creating cool maps is more important than 100% standing to the rules, right?

Projects which you entered in the Challenge before. The idea is just that those are not abandoned. Gives more of a motivation than being dedicated to a single round.

Level 13
Hell yeah! :ogre_haosis:

But since you are allowed to import any resource you want its just a matter of how you define "resource"...

I think this aspect is quite open. The goal is just to have something playable after the given time.
From my point of view it depends on the amount of "old" resources your conscience let you use.
You are simply missing the point of this contest if you just post one of your current maps which you are working on instead of starting from zero.

Level 23
Since WaterKnight is currently not able to post the rolled results to this Thread, even though this Challenge starts in 10 minutes, I will post it temporarely for him:

Rolled Genres:
  • Survival
  • Escape

Rolled Keywords:
  • Eruption/Birth
  • Hate/Love

This is the new Countdown that indicates the end of the Challenge (24 hours from now).

1 hour after that, the funmap-evening will take place, where we will test all entries (if possible).

Have fun and create some good entries!

Level 26
Thanks, I was online but could not properly post from this device, so I relayed the info to Frotty. The partial co-relation of the keywords is coincidence but as you are hinted by "eruption", "birth" encloses more than sexual reproduction. I have already some vague ideas of what I could build.

Good luck, have fun!

edit: Please refer to this timer for the correct UTC+2 offset.

Level 14
soooo

[
TheBirthOfMan_zps3fe25a2f.png

Survive the eruption by either finding a cave or making it to the beach. don't get to close to dinosaurs or they will kill you (planned to have tall grass you could hide in but ran out of time lol) and lastly you can find axes to chop tree's out of your way and spears to kill raptors with as a small form of defense! Oh and use the arrow keys to move, just walk into items to pick em up.

... I also ran out of time to add different difficulties so one fits all for now Wahahaha!

(done entirely from scratch at the start of the timer, enjoy!)

Update: woops, forgot to add the credits on the map too XD only worked for about 6-8 hours
didn't get a chance to test it but, caves (goldmines) don't work and the spears r hard to use... and the timers are not right and the ash clouds don't stop spawning and crash the game lol ^_^ total fail but probably will continue to fix it and finish it to put on hive.

Attachments

• Funmap The Birth of Man.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
  • Credits.txt
    554 bytes · Views: 48
Last edited:
Level 26
Thank you all for participating. Everything has been pushed to the first post with the exception of Frotty's entry because I do not find it uploaded. I have taken the attachments from your post (linked to them), if you have any updates, feel free to post it/contact me.

The maps were indeed very different in gameplay and theme, although everyone took the seemingly more difficult genre survival. The keyword criteria, on the other hand, was rarely matched. Keyword means it should play an integral role and be emphasized. That is easiest be relayed through text and objective clarification, so the player gets the theme, unless it can be deducted from the environment if it's a keyword like "beach". But I agree it's not easy to carve out the concept in the limited time frame.

Round #5 could still be in September. Until then it's normal Funmap Evenings again, although my bot currently behaves like Gandalf.

Level 26
As you may have seen in the ticker, round #5 is scheduled for October 31st/November 1st. Meanwhile daylight saving time will end here, so it's UTC+1 then. Anyway, the timer considers it. So it will again be from 8pm (UTC+1) to 8pm of the following day. An hour afterwards we can playtest the results at a funmap evening.

Genres and keywords are to be posted up to 15min before start.

Genre pool for this round (from which 2 will be rolled):

aeon
arena
capture the flag

survival
escape

footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Everything else is like in the last round, no rule changes this time.

Level 25
Sliding CTF
A CTF on a slippery thing of ice, so gameplay will be similar to Tribes.

Sliding System - Done (Update: unit collision with relative mass interaction added)
Hero selection - done
CTF system - done
terrain - basic terrain done
heroes - 2, each with 1 ability

EDIT: Ugh, didn't quite read the rules regarding inclusion of keywords correctly. Time to add elves.

EDIT2: Playable version attached. I might not do much more than this, didn't think a theme would make me so disinterested.

Attachments

• SlidingCTF005.w3x
    54.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.