• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
@ eubz
srsly, what bhusta said. Everything is explained in the first post.

@ water
Good to have another one, hope I can participate.
You should add the date, survey etc. to the first post for newcomers (above the entries of the last, add the same info to the first event too, maybe)

The testing last time was a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to creative entries :)

ps.: Everyone should consider having at least 10 playerslots in his map, so everyone can play at the same time.

Level 25
Yeah will we test the maps somewhere? Garena, gameranger, cheap tickets to my place?
Can't think of a better way to spend valentines than to play a game of Warcraft 3 on weird maps with people I've never met before. ;)

Level 13
Yeah will we test the maps somewhere? Garena, gameranger, cheap tickets to my place?
Can't think of a better way to spend valentines than to play a game of Warcraft 3 on weird maps with people I've never met before. ;)

There seems to be a big limitation of reading skills on THW. I hope it's not some kind of disease. D:

The Fun Mapmaking Challenge is combined with the inWarcraft Funmap Evening.

It starts on a Friday, because the maps will be played on the following Saturday.

The date of this happening is not set yet, because of some people asking to move this one week.
So there is a poll for the date.

Last edited:
Level 25
So Aeon and Misc genres are not allowed in the upcoming contest?
He's going to present the game modes at the start of the contest, so you don't "cheat" (why someone would cheat on a contest like this is beyond me however) and start earlier on it. :)

But to answer your question, no they are not going to be the gamemodes as they were picked before in earlier contests.

Level 23
He's going to present the game modes at the start of the contest, so you don't "cheat" (why someone would cheat on a contest like this is beyond me however) and start earlier on it. :)

Exactly :) It's really more of a personal contest - what can you do in 24 hours?
There is no judging nor winning nor losing.
The rules are there to make the maps have something in common, compare the way mapmakers decided to implement the keywords, etc.

Also a perfect way to get your mind off your "big" project and just have fun experimenting for a day.

I'm looking forward to it :)

Level 23
As anticipated, a 2nd round of this event will be held in February from Friday 14th to Saturday 15th, the time of day offset being half an hour earlier than last time, so from 10pm to 10pm (UTC+1). edit: date of the event put on a hold until Sunday, see vote

[Feb 21-22] Some crazy people are creating maps in 24 hours and then play them together. Would you like to make a map or play?
Read these two threads for more information [Wc3 mapmaking challenge, Funmap suggestion thread].

This is pretty confusing. :/

If it IS scheduled in 21-22 then lucky me, I didn't miss it at all.

Level 13
When will the theme be announced?

I WANT TO CHEAT! LOL

Nah, not even going to copy and paste triggers like some people say they are going to.

Tomorrow evening.

You can use old resources you have done before.
But it is more challenging to start new.
You can even work with somebody together.
There are no rules.
It's just about challenging yourself to create something fun/playable for what you will get a lot of feedback.

Level 26
We are going to start at 10pm UTC+1. I have linked the clock for that time zone several times. Hive is a multinational site.

So still >2 hours left. I have not even posted the necessary genres and key words yet, which I will do shortly before the launch.

Anyway, I would advise you to spend some time of the beginning first to settle on a map idea that matches the conditions, is fun to you and doable.

Level 13
Ladies and gentlemen,

the funmap challenge starts in 1 hour and 30 minutes.

After the host WaterKnight posted the two genres and two keywords, you will have 24 hours to create a map which somehow uses these points.
You can pick one of the genres or both.
But you have to implement both keywords.
The keywords don't have to be implemented literally.
For example the last funmap challenge had the keyword "Mirror".
You don't have to import a mirror model or something like that.
It can also be used as a verb (to mirror something).
After the 24 hours, these maps will be played on the funmap evening.
So, try to create a multiplayer map.

There are no ratings.

Just fun.

The players/participants are the judges.

Teamwork is allowed.

Using old stuff is allowed.

#peace #wurst #swag

Last edited:
Level 19
mystical: recalls for something that is unmoral, but some people may believe in it, like levitation through meditation, many people believe it's possible.
Mythical: refers to the origin of the world made by a/some god/gods, where men where created from those to.
I done my stuff. Hope you like the mystic escape, in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Attachments

• Escape from the mystical space.w3x
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
Level 13
Paillan please fix the point and group leaks at least.
It wouldn't matter if you have one or two triggers which uses points without removing them, but you have quite a lot periodical triggers.
There is no winning and no loosing condition.
Maybe you should add a trigger which fires if there is only one player left.
The sun collapse ability does not work right, I was killed only 1 from 10 times from a star.
And where is the gold/minerals? One can kill the meteors and then you get money but you don't need that money for anything.
Also one can camp in the nebula waiting for the other players to die but this is a little bit boring and somehow senseless.
I suggest you move the nebula every 10 seconds to a new location.

You have a lot of time left, so please fix these major mistakes.

I thought it was saturday and sunday, So i'll take the liberty of working until the 10AM play time.

..Or wait, it's just a 24 hour period huh. lol. Already missed like half of it
As I said above there is a lot of time left, most of the entries will be made in 2-4 hours.
The 24 hours aspect is a decision made because of the multinational paticipants.

Last edited:
Level 13
This is just a single player escape mini-game.

hey eubz,
I did not get your map.
It's more like a boss brawler and doesn't fit the keywords and genres at all.
But maybe you can convince me from the opposite.

The mechanics do not seem to work either.
There are no items to find.
The respawn did not work for me.
The way gates just teleport you back to the circle of power of your current stage which is senseless.
There are no real abilities to use, just the footman shield which is quite boring.

There are over 5 hours and 30 minutes left, so please fix it.

you can use
  • custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_YOUR_LOCATION)
to delete the location leak.

hey eubz,
I did not get your map.
It's more like a boss brawler and doesn't fit the keywords and genres at all.
But maybe you can convince me from the opposite.

The mechanics do not seem to work either.
There are no items to find.
The respawn did not work for me.
The way gates just teleport you back to the circle of power of your current stage which is senseless.
There are no real abilities to use, just the footman shield which is quite boring.

There are over 5 hours and 30 minutes left, so please fix it.

1. There are item drops and some items that you should find if you can find it).
2. I guess its my fault not to write in the quest to type -restart so that your unit respawns.
3. some waygates will bounce you back to the same islet when you haven't killed what is to be killed first.
4. It is a escape map but you have to kill some ceeps before moving on. And should it be possible that I convert minerals to some kind of items that makes your unit stronger? And this is how I implement it in this map. The thing is that, I am going to make this multi-palyer.

Level 3
Well I think is done for multiplayer play, quite simple and fun, you deal with help your teammates or go alone for the gold, the player that gets more gold and escape wins.

If you want to test it alone just open the map on the editor and place some Loot seekers because it needs like 4 to 6 players.

I know it has minor leaks with groups but come on, the map lenght it's about 4 min.

Attachments

• Avarice Dwarf Escape.w3x
    176.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.